Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

On normal? Diablo is easy peasy and the real gripes against it are at the end-game portions.

It wasn't exactly a difficult game, no, but when I was fighting, say, the Act 2 endboss, there were definitely attacks I needed to make some effort to avoid or take pretty serious damage. I fought him this time and neither of us dropped below like 70% health despite making no effort to dodge anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

It wasn't exactly a difficult game, no, but when I was fighting, say, the Act 2 endboss, there were definitely attacks I needed to make some effort to avoid or take pretty serious damage. I fought him this time and neither of us dropped below like 70% health despite making no effort to dodge anything.

Again, what difficulty? Once you get to the higher difficulties, you really have to be geared or else you either die or he hits his rage timer... and then you die.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
At launch, I was playing on Normal. On the revisit, I was on the "you should only pick this if you've played the expansion and gotten all the sweet gear from it or you'll probably die" difficulty. I had not played the expansion.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

queserasera posted:

There are plotdump books in D1 as well--I plan to cover the one seen at the end of my last update in the next one. And yeah, you don't play Blizzard games for the plot. :downs: (Neat worldbuilding, gotta give 'em that.)

Does D3 still force all of its plot on you?

D1 and D2 were amazing in that respect.

D2: Here is Mephisto, he did some terrible poo poo, you might have read about it, you may not have. Kill him!

D3: I am Maghda, I will kick your puppy! Then I will kill it! Look at me kick and kill your puppy! Now look at me kicking another puppy!

I have a feeling if you don't need to skip a couple dozens averagely voice-acted cutscenes anymore I might play it again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Adventure mode disables all the story stuff and virtually everyone plays that since the rewards are better than story mode.

You do have to finish all acts, including 5, once before adventure mode unlocks, but once you do it's unlocked everywhere forever, even in a fresh season.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nimby posted:

D1 and D2 were amazing in that respect.

D2: Here is Mephisto, he did some terrible poo poo, you might have read about it, you may not have. Kill him!

D3: I am Maghda, I will kick your puppy! Then I will kill it! Look at me kick and kill your puppy! Now look at me kicking another puppy!

I have a feeling if you don't need to skip a couple dozens averagely voice-acted cutscenes anymore I might play it again.

You need to go through the plot exactly once. After that, you unlock adventurer mode where you can roam around and kill stuff for neat rewards and such. You also unlock rifts, which are randomly generated areas with randomly generated mishmashes of enemies with a big boss at the end. It's pretty fun.

They also significantly changed classes so that there are several different ways to play them, introduced items that fundamentally alter skills, and generally changed things up so that there's a lot of choice and a lot more stuff to do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Adventure mode sounds a lot like the Vault in Torchlight y/n?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Diablo 3 on Normal was a blast, especially if you chose to ignore the gearing aspect and just picked up things that happened to be upgrades. Most text could be skipped with a keyboard shortcut, and the few bits that couldn't be skipped were less than half a minute long

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

nimby posted:

There's actually now a toggle in the D3 options somewhere that straight up turns off story stuff. The game will automatically skip every cutscene and 90% of the plot stuff. What little isn't skipped (non cutscene dialog, the Act 3 boss's 10000 skype calls) you can mash the space bar and skip anyway.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SourceElement posted:

There's actually now a toggle in the D3 options somewhere that straight up turns off story stuff. The game will automatically skip every cutscene and 90% of the plot stuff. What little isn't skipped (non cutscene dialog, the Act 3 boss's 10000 skype calls) you can mash the space bar and skip anyway.

Or hit escape for much less keyboard abuse.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

7 - From tables in the sky

Before I explain what happened last time, I'll rewind a bit to talk about some interesting dungeon features I skipped over for the sake of dramatic license.

This is an interesting layout. The stairs to level 3 are right behind me.

The tan icon in the lower right means my armor is at less than 50% durability. Eventually that icon will turn red, meaning I have less than 10%. And then I have no more armor. (I have more pressing things to worry about down here than a cloak of light.)

And a book on a pedestal surrounded by lights? Must be important.

A war between heaven and hell. How original, Blizzard. :jerkbag: There's one book each on the last level of the cathedral, catacombs, and caves, each giving some backstory and plot.

The only plot of a Blizzard game: there are things to kill and you're the one who has to kill them.

These are the third-tier winged fiends called Blinks. Hit them, even at long range, and they'll teleport right next to you and attack. Cast an AoE spell at them and you'll suddenly find yourself with a bunch of new friends.

The reason why I didn't want to see Blinks on level 5: meet the Blink boss, Moonbender. Foulwing resists fire. Moonbat's completely immune to it.

Running away from my new friend.

The fourth-tier fallen one, Devil Kin. Nothing remarkable, except they don't run away as far when they see me kill something.

Ah, good, a giant room for a giant-size game of keep-away.

Sadly, I can't get the other monsters to attack each other. They don't even take splash damage. (They can be damaged by traps--maybe even OHKOed by them--but that's rare.)

An abject lesson on the dangers of foolish exploration. In keeping away from Moonbender, I wake up the rest of the room, and I can't kill them fast enough, and I get cornered.

Fire Bolt a hole through the Devil Kin wall, retreat, heal, make everybody attack one-by-one through a doorway.

That's better. poo poo like this is gonna get me killed later, just you wait.

Good thing Moonbat waited till last to show up.

Let's try parking him in the room. (Notice the glowing square.)

Nope. Too smart for that.

Good to see a familiar face (and Fire Bolt it to death).

The rest of the Horrors are due east of me, in the direction I'm facing. The dancing fire sprinkler tactic I used in the Catacombs last time isn't going to work with Moonbender blinking around. This will be tricky.

North it is. Slowly.

And my armor's starting to die. Arrows will do that every time. (The neon pee beaker on my belt is a rejuvenation potion and restores a little bit of both health and mana. Deeper in the dungeon, I can find entire flasks of pee for full heals. :cripes: )

Way to use a Glimmering Shrine when I have nothing in my inventory to identify. :downs: (I'm also not sure why I brought up the map. I'm too busy running ahead of Moonbat to care about much else, quite frankly.)

Nothing but scavengers and fallen ones to the north. I lost Moonbender at some point--hooray!

Time to hose down some skeletons with cleansing fire.

Hold on--that's a book.

:tviv:

HEY MOONBENDER

GOT A PRESENT FOR YA

AND GUESS WHAT I USED TO WRAP IT

:science:

Oh, and lest I forget.

I am Conan the Librarian

and somebody's asskicking is way overdue.

:hellyeah:

Vengeance has been satisfied.

(His drop will have a positive enchantment but it's a guaranteed doozy--bossdrops have higher qlvls. BTW, did you know that bosses are the only winged fiends who have any kind of item drop?)

I'll finish clearing this level before heading back upstairs.

Imagine if I had to dodge Moonbat and these motherfuckers on level 4.

And more of them to ding in lucky level 13.

Gonna get this one out of the way now: I'm a master baiter of goats. :downs:

Yeah, I deserve whatever I'm gettin' for that one.

Last area to explore. Hi guys.

And nothing down there but Black Deaths and non-blue items. Back to level 4.

I should give this chest a medal.

So all these guys were just chilling over here while I backtracked. Okay. Modern dungeon design wouldn't have none of that. (Then again, thinking of the other video game I'm currently playing through, Fallout: New Vegas, Diablo using the Gamebryo engine would wake up everything on the level and then get them stuck in walls, floors, doors, barrels, etc.)

I've been to town to barf out my inventory before now but it's not worth showing unless something interesting happens.

Might as well take it.

: I sense a soul in search of answers!

For some reason, entering the portal back to the dungeon caused the CD-ROM to spin up for a good minute in the drive and the screen to go all :catdrugs: when the game finally loaded. (There's an officially sanctioned method to run the game without the disc--it lacks the 1998 feeling, so I decided not to use it.)

I'm disappointed that my screenshots aren't as psychadelic. Everything has a 256 color palette rainbow edge to it. My white tights wouldn't look out of place in a head shop.

Seriously, look at what I'm wearing. A pink bathrobe, matching boots, white tights, and a codpiece that would make David Bowie blush.

I know they doubled as purses in Renaissance Italy. Is that where I'm storing my gold? Spell components? A spare copy of Jarulf's Guide?

...I'm overthinking this.

Anyway, this is the area from earlier with all the skeleton archers. Trying to bait out anything that'll follow me.

Two connected big rooms, a ton of monsters, not a single blue item. :mad:

Here's a guaranteed magic item. Say hi to the Shadow Beast boss.

He resists lightning and he's immune to fire.

1.21 jigawatts later...

I guess this is for giving me that book of lightning earlier.

Spiritual Shrines put a random amount of gold into each empty slot of your inventory. In the Cathedral, it's 5-14 pieces. I could empty my inventory, hit Telekinesis on the shrine, stack all the gold, and pick everything back up, but with my screen :2bong: I don't want to risk losing an item or crashing my game.

So I get 3-4 inventory spaces worth of gold, go to level 3, and TP to town. Adria didn't even have a book for sale in her randomized inventory.

: I sense a soul in search of answers!

And this is the low-level AoE lightning spell, Charged Bolt. The spell casts at least four baby bolts, and while they don't do a lot of damage at low level, they can hit two targets and home in on them somewhat. I could've neutered a lot of fights in this update by carpeting the room in little bitty lightning bolts.

I'm running around level 3 for completion's sake.

I figured I should give y'all a good look at the Skeleton King. Not sure if I'll ever be in the Cathedral again after this update. Maybe for books?

This is a Murky Pool. It's one-time use Infravision.

Like so. Theoretically useful on unknown levels with immune enemies. (That Dark One with the hands up, I don't even want to know what's keeping the spear from hitting the ground.)

Visible range versus nonvisible range. (And those scavengers know where I am and they're headed right for me.)

I was beginning to think the dungeon didn't know how to drop magic loot anymore.

Leoric and his pack are northeast of the stairs up. Melee skeletons are much easier to handle than ranged ones.

I ready my stunlocker. Leo's resistant to everything else.

See that crown he's wearing? It's your reward for beating him...in singleplayer. :mad:

Leoric will circle around until he feels like getting into melee range. Don't bother wasting shots on him until he does. Take out the rest of his pack instead.

"Rest well, Leoric--I'll find your son!"

Dead on an altar on level 15, quartered by Lazarus, but yeah, I'll find him. :ssh:

The Rotting Carcass boss. Glad I decided to clear the rest of the level.

And the Plague Eater boss.

:woop:

Goretongue's drop. :haw:

At last! I can finally be a bona fide beyond naked mage. (I should've gotten Griz to repair it but oh well--there are shrines for that.) Look at those stats! My next few level-ups will be devoted to STR and DEX so I can use this.

Goatsucker's drop isn't a bad low-level rogue bow. It's getting turned into mana money.

And I have a backup for if (when) the cursed bow craps out on me.

I'm almost halfway to my goal and there's still so much to do. Next time: I'll give an update on my spellbook, burrow through the Catacombs, and test out my new bow on some unsuspecting barrels.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh come on, the only things that get stuck in the floors in NV are radscorpions for some reason.

I wish cazadors would get stuck :argh:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I finally found this thread and holy poo poo I never knew half of the stuff you wrote about. Zombies taking life? Things being immune to things? Shrines being bad? Those little things running away to eat corpses and coming back at full health? God damnit.

I was a dumb child apparently.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012
That was quite the run through those levels.

However, that spoiled bit...might want to double-check the facts on that one. If I remember correctly, later on, you'll find out the truth.

Let me know if you want the answer in spoiler quotes or not.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

WinterSteel posted:

However, that spoiled bit...might want to double-check the facts on that one. If I remember correctly, later on, you'll find out the truth.

It's not Albrecht--and I know who he really is--but the townies are convinced that he's alive down in the dungeon and Laz probably kidnapped him. I think it's supposed to be a big reveal during the quest to kill Laz.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

queserasera posted:

It's not Albrecht--and I know who he really is--but the townies are convinced that he's alive down in the dungeon and Laz probably kidnapped him. I think it's supposed to be a big reveal during the quest to kill Laz.

Oh right, that would make sense. I didn't process that bit while I was reading; I merely went with what I knew, not with what the townsfolk knew.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

theshim posted:

Oh come on, the only things that get stuck in the floors in NV are radscorpions for some reason.

I wish cazadors would get stuck :argh:

Heh. I'll put my various screenshots of things stuck in scenery into one of the LP FNV threads. (My favorite is falling down a rock face and getting trapped inside it, and my companion taking the long way around, climbing up to where I am, and getting stuck too.)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

So here's where I left my LP. I'm not cursed with a broken computer, just lack of free time. I'll try to get to it this week. In the meantime, peruse the end credits on YouTube. (Any idea why they credited the entire human race there at the end?)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

(Any idea why they credited the entire human race there at the end?)

I'm guessing it's like thanking Mom and Dad because without them, you wouldn't exist.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe it's Diablo thanking humanity so he can prey on them :tinfoil:

No they probably just wanted to be weird and throw something different into the thank yous, you see that a lot in video games

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Heh, nobody got the reference. Blizzard doesn't literally thank everyone in the known universe. The "thanks to" section goes on for at least a minute. (The copy I'm using, the one that came in the Diablo 2 box, has longer credits in alphabetical order.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God drat, the RNG just seems to flat out hate you on this run. You'd think you'd get more cursed gear than you're getting on a run.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Kemix posted:

God drat, the RNG just seems to flat out hate you on this run. You'd think you'd get more cursed gear than you're getting on a run.

I don't know; I've played this game plenty ever since it came out, and cursed gear has always seemed surprisingly difficult to come by. I'm not the least bit surprised it took so long.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

queserasera posted:

Heh, nobody got the reference. Blizzard doesn't literally thank everyone in the known universe. The "thanks to" section goes on for at least a minute. (The copy I'm using, the one that came in the Diablo 2 box, has longer credits in alphabetical order.)

I skipped and got to "Sam Raimi, The Guinness Brewing Company."

They might just not have realized they'd ever make a video game again and took that opportunity to thank all the people who make things the like :unsmith:

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So..."-100% damage" doesn't actually mean what I'm just assuming it means, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MartianAgitator posted:

So..."-100% damage" doesn't actually mean what I'm just assuming it means, right?

If memory serves, it only applies to inherent weapon damage which means that you just do the same damage you would if you were barehanded, as opposed to nothing at all.

It's almost as bad, but not a total game-ruiner, especially since BNM runs are all about magic damage anyway.

• Locked thread