Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
The best movies are ones which feature a scene where the bins are taken out.Apart from Upstream color, that wasn't a very good movie, although the bit where that guy takes the bins out was good.Prometheus hasn't got any scenes of bins being taken out but it was still good, although maybe a lot of the script should have been thrown in the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Observe and Report, great movie, very contentious

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dontcareaboutname posted:

lost in translation,

my left foot was a good comedy, as was what's eating gilbert grape.

Check out this edgy dude

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
triumph of the will

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Khanstant posted:

wait, who liked prometheus? i liked the first like 30 minutes when i thought it was a weird mass effect movie but as soon as they left the ship the movie went off the good

Roger Ebert liked it, but I suspect he only wrote that review so people wouldn't be sad when he died.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Khanstant posted:

wait, who liked prometheus? i liked the first like 30 minutes when i thought it was a weird mass effect movie but as soon as they left the ship the movie went off the good

I dug Prometheus for what it was trying to be; a sci-fi horror film with not all questions answered. I do agree though that the follow through wasn't very convincing for getting where it needed to go. A lot of people shout at this film for the same reason they shout at most horror films: the characters are so stupid that they die. Horror films are supposed to have stupid and flawed characters who make mistakes and end up dying because that's more or less what we want to see out of a horror. The problem is that Ridley Scott doesn't place as much tension for the hunt and just willingly throws the characters in the traps.

A lot of my friends have compared the film to Blade Runner in critical response. When Blade Runner first came out, it was panned by several critics for similar reasoning in the story. Since then, many critics have gone back and revised their views on the film. It'll be interesting to see how the film is looked back on in 10 years.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
frankly i'm amazed spring breakers is contentious because it was the best movie of the year

e: j/k not that it was the best movie of the year (it was) but that i'm surprised it's contentious (i'm not)

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 23, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

FrostedButts posted:

I dug Prometheus for what it was trying to be; a sci-fi horror film with not all questions answered. I do agree though that the follow through wasn't very convincing for getting where it needed to go. A lot of people shout at this film for the same reason they shout at most horror films: the characters are so stupid that they die. Horror films are supposed to have stupid and flawed characters who make mistakes and end up dying because that's more or less what we want to see out of a horror. The problem is that Ridley Scott doesn't place as much tension for the hunt and just willingly throws the characters in the traps.

A lot of my friends have compared the film to Blade Runner in critical response. When Blade Runner first came out, it was panned by several critics for similar reasoning in the story. Since then, many critics have gone back and revised their views on the film. It'll be interesting to see how the film is looked back on in 10 years.

haha prometheus was bad dude, it will not get the same revision as blade runner.

except for the self abortion scene, which was so transcendent of its milieu that i could not believe i was actually seeing it. truly one of the most incredible things in any movie.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I've been meaning to make a looping gif of James Franco felating a gun barrel to use as an avatar.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i havent seen any of those movies

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Time Bandits is loving AWESOME.

This is the most accurate post so far.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FrostedButts posted:

What in your opinion would be required for a horror movie to actually be bad?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i liked prometheus and it was my fav movie of that year

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What in your opinion would be required for a horror movie to actually be bad?

the problem with the horror genre is that it gets the most slack lots of the time to try newish thing, or weird things. nothing is better than all the weird rear end 70's and 80's horror b movies that got released.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Dubious posted:

Prometheus was/is/always will be poo poo OP

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the self abortion fetish was totally fufilled in prometheus

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Prometheus is a great barometer film as I probably won't get along irl with anyone who hates it.

also only god forgives was not the piece of poo poo the critics made it out to be

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Pootie Tang is a great movie, and anyone who doesn't like it can gently caress right off.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Khanstant posted:

I liked Prometheus.... BITCH

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arian_Samurai posted:

Observe and Report, great movie, very contentious

Germstore posted:

Pootie Tang is a great movie, and anyone who doesn't like it can gently caress right off.

Strongly agree. Also I will be contentious and say that Freddy Got Fingered is brilliant.

Also, Punisher: War Zone is the best Marvel movie. And while I won't twist your arm if you don't like them, Street Fighter the Movie and both xXx movies are clearly intended to be goofy action-comedies which seems to fly over a lot of peoples' heads (on the Internet, at least).

Zardoz is a great movie, although it takes a couple watches to appreciate how awesome it is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
street fighter is an acceptable movie to watch and is even better if you just watch the raul julia scenes

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
crank 1 & 2

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I have a friend who told me that Joe Dirt was a good movie. I disagreed.

contentious?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

nutranurse posted:

crank 1 & 2

ive never seen anyone complain about crank

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The Brown Menace posted:

ive never seen anyone complain about crank

i have

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rollofthedice posted:

I have a friend who told me that Joe Dirt was a good movie. I disagreed.

contentious?

Your friend is right.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

I liked Prometheus.... BITCH

same

things which help you like prometheous:

not being an autistic bitch

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Germstore posted:

Your friend is right.

very right,
so right in fact that i donmt
want to go back and watch the movie to see
if its bad

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
prometheus is loving dogshit and you're borderline autistic if you see something beyond what is presented on the screen. it was written by the guy who made lost and it's full of the same "lol ill just put nonsense in and people will say they like just to look smart" bullshit.

tldr: bad movie

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i spelt prometheus wrong but im not gonna change it :twisted:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

prometheus is fun if you ignore the poo poo "to be continued... IN SPAAAAACE" ending and also the black goo zombie subplot which goes absolutely nowhere

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

i think prometheus was pretty

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Daedra posted:

prometheus is loving dogshit and you're borderline autistic if you see something beyond what is presented on the screen. it was written by the guy who made lost and it's full of the same "lol ill just put nonsense in and people will say they like just to look smart" bullshit.

tldr: bad movie

no, you are the autist. it's a fun movie and people who go crazy about minor poo poo can suck my sweaty infected balls.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Germstore posted:

Your friend is right.

It's weird, because I brought up the part where the dude gets buried in poo poo, and she went
"Yeah, I didn't like that part. It was pretty gross."
Which I'm pretty sure means she's not part of the movie's intended audience

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

hemale in pain posted:

no, you are the autist. it's a fun movie and people who go crazy about minor poo poo can suck my sweaty infected balls.

freddy got fingered got robbed at the oscars

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always confuse that for the uma thurman lesbian movie where she has a giant thumb or something

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gorman Thomas posted:

Prometheus is a great barometer film as I probably won't get along irl with anyone who hates it.

also only god forgives was not the piece of poo poo the critics made it out to be

prometheus was ok but kinda boring and only god forgives was fantastic

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Daedra posted:

freddy got fingered got robbed at the oscars

freddy got fingered is a legit entertaining movie because of how strange it is

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
^ agreed

hemale in pain posted:

I always confuse that for the uma thurman lesbian movie where she has a giant thumb or something

only a big gay dumby would try to make a movie out of a tom robbins book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
OH NO, PROMOTHEUS

• Locked thread