Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Welp, I don't have cable so not only can't I watch on TV, I can't watch on Disney's website because they require you have a television provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Nice! How about the ones at the ends of the credits (before the full-screen things?)

SMOFZQA JDFV

and

OOIY DMEV VN IBWRKAMW BRUWLL.

Each episode has a key for those. The key for the first is widdle and the key for the second is shifter. There's websites that'll decode it.

Edit: There's also this one at the corner of Dipper's cork board. It's a bit hard to make out but the missing letters can be filled in by context. tev fp tbkav pl mbocbzq

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Welp, I don't have cable so not only can't I watch on TV, I can't watch on Disney's website because they require you have a television provider.

There's always :filez:
Maybe /co/ has them?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Xelkelvos posted:

Each episode has a key for those. The key for the first is widdle and the key for the second is shifter. There's websites that'll decode it.

Edit: There's also this one at the corner of Dipper's cork board. It's a bit hard to make out but the missing letters can be filled in by context. tev fp tbkav pl mbocbzq

Ooh, I overlooked that. Thanks!

Edit: For the corkboard one, using the decoder at themysteryofgravityfalls.com, ATBASH, then CAESAR-3, then ATBASH decodes it. Stumbled on that one by luck my first try.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 2, 2014

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Man.. the color, and mood of this show is always amazing. This is really beautiful stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: For the corkboard one, using the decoder at themysteryofgravityfalls.com, ATBASH, then CAESAR-3, then ATBASH decodes it. Stumbled on that one by luck my first try.

That one's just fantastic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Doing ATBASH twice just takes it back to the original since it's A=Z, B=Y, C=X, ... Z=A

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Doing ATBASH twice just takes it back to the original since it's A=Z, B=Y, C=X, ... Z=A

Which is why you do a Caesar (three letters back) before the second Atbash.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Man, I was so excited, and these episodes did not disappoint in the slightest. I was only taken aback by the dramatically darker tone, as others have pointed out. Alex Hirsch's interviews focused on Dipper getting more intense with the investigation. It looks like the town is going to get just as intense in return.

Random observations (gonna keep doing aggressive spoiler tags until both eps have aired live):

- Stan clearly came out of the vending machine in front of the kids during the zombie fight, but Dipper didn't seem to notice; I wonder if that'll be revisited
- Holy poo poo those episodes were scary/creepy/dark compared to season 1; the "good luck getting any sleep tonight" line was spot on
- Candy and Grenda were perfect, all of the minor characters were great in Scary-oke except possibly the teenagers, who were a little flat
- Blowing up a ton of zombies' heads with Top 40 pop music is the most Gravity Falls thing ever
- I really enjoyed Grunkle Stan and Wendy's dual admissions to not being as oblivious as Dipper assumed they were ("I can hear what you whisper under your breath, you know!")

edit: how did I forget GRUNKLE STAN WRECKING poo poo LEFT AND RIGHT WITH BRASS KNUCKLES

And two separate spoilers about two popular theories:

- Stan clearly set the portal to scan for something, as shown by the 0.0000001% progress meter and red X's next to the various binary printouts; this seems to back up the "searching for Stanley across all dimensions" theory
- The author of the journals. One line of the shapeshifter's dialogue was a dead giveaway: "that six-fingered nerd hasn't been himself for 30 years". Who's the only character we know who is well above 30, is probably "not himself", wears a bandage on his hand at all times, and has a first name that starts with F? Fiddleford H. McGucket. Not to mention an affinity for technology that easily jives with the crazy poo poo in the bunker.

Also, I don't really START topics on SA very often, so is there a special restriction on editing OP subject lines? Possibly just in TV IV?

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 2, 2014

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The new episodes are killing it.

I'm really glad they killed the Dipper/Wendy plotline, and in a pretty graceful way. I was worried the show was going to espouse some weird Nice Guy bullshit.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

pksage posted:

Also, I don't really START topics on SA very often, so is there a special restriction on editing OP subject lines? Possibly just in TV IV?

I'm assuming you mean thread title and you need to get a mod/admin to change those.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Which is why you do a Caesar (three letters back) before the second Atbash.

Or you do a +3 Caesar and do the same thing. The letter shift is Exactly the same.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Or you do a +3 Caesar and do the same thing. The letter shift is Exactly the same.

Yeah I know next to nothing about cyphers, especially by name. The site does have a +3 decode mode which does it on its own.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Those were two fun episodes. I quite liked the visual gag at the start of S201 with the 'pinch to zoom' (not real spoilers)

Also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVIdy9_wqQw
Mr. F

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You know what would have made the doppelwendy creepier?

If she had "I love you too Dipper"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Alan Smithee posted:

You know what would have made the doppelwendy creepier?

If she had "I love you too Dipper"

I'm surprised they got away with showing Dipper slicing Doppelwendy in the gut with an axe. I mean, it was a monster and the blood was green and all, but it still seems like attacking a (thing that appears to be) human with an axe is something censors would consider a tad too imitatable for a kids' show. I like it.

Also, special agent Nick Offerman (:neckbeard:) reaching for his gun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pakled posted:

I'm surprised they got away with showing Dipper slicing Doppelwendy in the gut with an axe. I mean, it was a monster and the blood was green and all, but it still seems like attacking a (thing that appears to be) human with an axe is something censors would consider a tad too imitatable for a kids' show. I like it.

Maybe they were going for radios.

this show, this loving show is on Disney channel

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pakled posted:

Both episodes were amazing.

I'm surprised they got away with, like most everything in both episodes. Slicing into the shape shifter was messy, but the entire zombie sequence was the same way, and against more humanoid monsters too. That shifter reveal was legitimately creepy. And the Mable-Dipper-abomination form too, oh god. Not to mention Wendy's bra and Fully Clothed Woman magazine (Trenchcoat edition!). Maybe it took a year because Hirsch spent 9 months fighting with Disney censors.

I also noticed Stan put on a six fingered glove in the cold open of Scary-oke when pulling the lever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know it's probably discussed to death but what does moving it to XD mean? I don't have any frame of reference so I don't know if this has done for other popular things too or if it means Disney doesn't feel it belongs with its regular programming

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pakled posted:

I'm surprised they got away with showing ...
If I recall correctly, Hirsch said that they're usually not slapped down by Disney censors very much, which is surprising. They're given a lot of free reign.

As for the move to XD, I think that's Diz trying to bolster the channel. Unfortunately for us :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Eh I don't get cable anyways. I would buy it off amazon or iTunes or whatever but I feel like its so redundant when there's a disc release

If there's a disc release anyway

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

If there's a disc release anyway

Hirsch had no idea about even the timeline for a S1 release when he was asked at the LA Film Fest event in June.

You would think Disney would release a set a week or so before the S2 premiere, but it apparently doesn't need another truckful of cash anytime soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I also noticed Stan put on a six fingered glove in the cold open of Scary-oke when pulling the lever.

I thought this was pretty clever.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I don't know if the "move" to Disney XD really means anything, since I'm pretty sure that the new episode that premiered yesterday was on regular Disney.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

DapperDinosaur posted:

I don't know if the "move" to Disney XD really means anything, since I'm pretty sure that the new episode that premiered yesterday was on regular Disney.

Yeah, the Premier was on Disney, the rest will show on Disney XD.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

When I checked to see if it was OnDemand, it didn't show up under Disney Channel, only under XD.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Those 2 episodes were ridiculously good, holy poo poo. I warmed up by watching the last 2 episodes of the first season and this was just a perfect continuation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So everyone recognized the DuckTales visual quote in S2E2, right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

So everyone recognized the DuckTales visual quote in S2E2, right?

I haven't watched that since I was a kid. Help pls

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't watched that since I was a kid. Help pls

The bit when Dipper, Mabel, Wendy, and Soos are walking down the spiral staircase evokes this part of the DuckTales opening sequence:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Half Panther Shirt, Half Puma Shirt? What has science done?!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I know it's probably discussed to death but what does moving it to XD mean? I don't have any frame of reference so I don't know if this has done for other popular things too or if it means Disney doesn't feel it belongs with its regular programming

Disney XD is more oriented towards boys compared to the main channel and for all of Mabel's adorable antics, Gravity Falls seems to be more aimed towards the boys' demos than the girls'.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So that whole theory on 3 or 4 fingers on a hand isn't really anything is it? Cause it just looks like adults have 4 fingers and kids have 3, but then also sometimes Gideon has 4.

New season is pretty great, I've been watching episodes randomly because there appears to be no order or reason to them playing on Disney. Guess I'll go look for a blu-ray collection or something.

edit: Dang it, looks like they don't release entire seasons, just specials and digital downloads for like 60 bucks!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The new episodes were both a great start, and drat they went hardcore on the monsters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

So that whole theory on 3 or 4 fingers on a hand isn't really anything is it? Cause it just looks like adults have 4 fingers and kids have 3, but then also sometimes Gideon has 4.

I would put money on the number of fingers being relevant, because the covers of the journals have six fingers.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
This was a very solid and things happened two parter. I think honesty and trust will be a important part of this season, given the resolutions of both episodes, and the journal all the way back in "Tourist Trapped" said to trust no one.

Given how the Experiment called the author "That six fingered fool", of course the number of fingers is relevant

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DoctorWhat posted:

The bit when Dipper, Mabel, Wendy, and Soos are walking down the spiral staircase evokes this part of the DuckTales opening sequence:

I was reminded of 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Additionally regarding fingers - when Stan put on a glove to flip the switch on the machine in the first episode, it had 6 fingers, the last of which flopped around since Stan only has 5.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

If I remember correctly, throughout the first season Gideon had 4 fingers, but in the one brief shot of him in the S2 opener he has 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Any word on this season having a more stable release schedule?

• Locked thread