Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Problem description:
Last week my 6 month old computer started acting up pretty badly after a Google chrome "waiting for cache" issue necessitated a reboot, it started refusing to boot from my ssd and displaying error message 0xc00000e9.

Attempted fixes:
After a lot of hassle and help from a workmate attempting to use a variety of tools he has (mostly just scans and such, we didn't use any repair tools or anything) the computer ended up just deciding to boot and I thought it was good. Then the google chrome thing happened again, I fixed that last night with the recommended deletion of most of the %temp% files. However just now it happened again, so I rebooted. Upon booting I get similar behaviour as before, it tries to do an automatic repair and just hangs there before turning to a blank blue screen, no error message this time though.

So, before I go through all the bullshit that "solved" this before can anyone help me with this with actual ideas on what's happening? We kinda tried a lot over a couple days and it was hard to tell what made it start working again. I assume it's something with this chrome issue and it being turned off while the issue is happening is causing my ssd to mess up. Any ideas on why this chrome issue (which is apparently very common) only showed up last week and not in the previous 6 months would be great too.

Recent changes:
None, may have installed a game on steam but nothing massive. Pretty stable thus far as well.

Operating system:
Windows 8.1

System specs:
Can't check everything now but the os is on a Samsung 120 gig ssd and I have two 1tb hdds as well. When I got the comp working again all the data was fine and present so it's not an issue with the drives I think.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That bugcheck code is highly suggestive of a failing drive. Because the system randomly rebooted, and because presumably Chrome is installed on the SSD, I would guess that the SSD is starting to get a little wonky.

I would see what Samsung's Magician software says about the drive's health, and I would also download CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition and screenshot the drive's information for us to look at.

In terms of fixes, you could try backing up the drive, performing a Secure Erase, and re-imaging it. Maybe swap out the SATA cable for a new one before you do so. But if this works, I wouldn't consider the drive "fixed" so much as we would have confirmed that is was the problem, and I would go ahead with getting an in-warranty return and replacement.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks, took awhile to reply because work has been so hectic and haven't had the time to sit down and try the advice. Definitely seems like the ssd is failing, it's started working and failed again three times now, each time I've hoped it's just fixed magically and I won't have to deal with it (classic me). That's probably not going to be the case though.

Given that it's not really working well enough for me to try those bits of advice anyway (I tried looking for Samsung diagnostic stuff when the comp worked for a whole day and couldn't find any, must have missed it) should I just get the warranty ssd replacement and use a hdd with a fresh install of windows in the meantime? If this was just bad luck/a faulty drive then there's not much to be done or gained from trying to fix it and getting pissed off right?

Either way thanks again, at least I know now.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 27, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

...should I just get the warranty ssd replacement and use a hdd with a fresh install of windows in the meantime? If this was just bad luck/a faulty drive then there's not much to be done or gained from trying to fix it and getting pissed off right?

When a drive fails there's not much to do to try and fix it except get any important data off it.

• Locked thread