Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm currently working 2 jobs right now 7 days a week (one job is full time @ $13 and hour and the other is part time at $11+Commision). While at my part time job I started talking to a Mailman who said that the local post office was hiring and that with my military experience I would get hired at a higher rate then most. He said the job sucks, the hours suck but the money is great. Specifically the position I would be applying for is mail carrier in a "rural" part of KS. I say Rural in quotes because in that area the homes are spread out but they are all $250,000+ homes.

1) How hard is the Postal Exam 473?
2) Whats the most reputable place online to get a study guide for it?
3) What do you think of the job? Whats the best and worst thing about it?
4) Does the "Rain, Sleet and Snow the mail will find a way!" actually happen?
5) Should I invest in a 4 wheel drive vehicle because here in Kansas we do tend to get some wicked snow?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
if its anything like my USPS dude you can just return packages to sender because you are too lazy to deliver it the extra 50 feet. also make sure you dont update the delivery confirmations until at the end of the day so at 5pm i can see you just decided to not delivery my package at 1pm

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don't mail carrier in the US get a vehicle supplied?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

FrozenVent posted:

Don't mail carrier in the US get a vehicle supplied?

Depends where you are. In my hometown of about 8000 they have trucks for the city but rural routes either have subaru station wagons or their own cars from what I saw.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
My dad's been a letter carrier for ~30 years, and is finally retiring next March-ish.

The pay is good, the benefits are decent. He was hired over other people partly because of his military service and some time spent working for the IRS, and I know several of his co-workers are also former (or reserve) military. It's not a bad gig if you can get it.

Because he has seniority, he now has a driving route in a very nice part of town, mostly rich old people. They tip well around the holidays and most are very friendly. Many of them have my dad's cell number so they can call him with questions. A few even call on his day off, and yes, he usually answers. More than once he's gone into the office to look for a package on his day off, too. He has good customers and he's a good letter carrier.

However my dad has had countless cortisone injections in his back and is also going to have both his knees replaced next fall. Postal management is some of the worst, most incompetent, micro-managing head-up-the-rear end scum I've ever heard of. The pressure of the job can be unexpectedly high, and the job itself can be unexpectedly dangerous. As a rural route driver your experience may differ.

From what I've seen it's not a job I'd recommend, but you could certainly do worse.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
A lot of the rural route drivers aren't regular USPS employees - keep an eye out for that. It means you get all of the lovely parts of the job with none of the perks (pension, healthcare, etc.) I know they're constantly hiring rural route drivers here and have signs posted all over the post office, but no one wants to drive 50+ miles in their own car a day when you count getting to town for the mail pickup, heading out to the route, driving the route, coming back, etc, with none of the sweet government job benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

AA is for Quitters posted:

A lot of the rural route drivers aren't regular USPS employees - keep an eye out for that. It means you get all of the lovely parts of the job with none of the perks (pension, healthcare, etc.) I know they're constantly hiring rural route drivers here and have signs posted all over the post office, but no one wants to drive 50+ miles in their own car a day when you count getting to town for the mail pickup, heading out to the route, driving the route, coming back, etc, with none of the sweet government job benefits.

Interesting. I will look into our as there are city delivery spots available.

• Locked thread