Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
seems like a major waste of money to me, just lock 'em up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
without due process we would be in some real trouble

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Cucking Mama posted:

Ironically, with due process we are in some trouble.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Cucking Mama posted:

Imagine you catch someone balls deep in a child (and you're a cop) what's the harm in just tossing that person in jail

I mean like forget any possible abuses of it or anything, just that kind of situation.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Sorry for the graphic example, it was the first thing I thought of that couldn't be explained away.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
well alot of times we don't because they plead guilty

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Copley Depot posted:

well alot of times we don't because they plead guilty

Hmm. Good point. However, even considering that, there are ones that don't. What then?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Imagine you catch someone balls deep in a child (and you're a cop) what's the harm in just tossing that person in jail

I mean like forget any possible abuses of it or anything, just that kind of situation.

I saw an episode of Law and Order: SVU where this schizophrenic guy raped several little girls because he hallucinated that they were his sister and he was saving them from a phantom rapist by raping them. So you know, just in case that happens, the person might be mentally ill and shouldn't go to jail? I don't loving know.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

seems like a major waste of money to me, just lock 'em up

i disagree, bring back gladiator arenas. rename all wardens to dominus

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Clochette posted:

I saw an episode of Law and Order: SVU where this schizophrenic guy raped several little girls because he hallucinated that they were his sister and he was saving them from a phantom rapist by raping them. So you know, just in case that happens, the person might be mentally ill and shouldn't go to jail? I don't loving know.

If they are mentally ill and commit a crime they will go to a prison first anyway before going to a mental institution.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

might not be a child. might be one of those people whose body doesn't age.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

might not be a child. might be one of those people whose body doesn't age.

Thank you for not gendering the child.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Cucking Mama posted:

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah that hapens all the time

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

why would a cop toss another cop in jail? doesn't make sense.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

so, imagine you're a cop and have a sense of morality,

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Copley Depot posted:

why would a cop toss another cop in jail? doesn't make sense.

The better joke is, why is a cop at a Something Awful moderator's house

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Buce posted:

so, imagine you're a cop and have a sense of morality,

I believe the gently caress the police megathread is in BYOB

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
what happens if you are a person and you find a cop abusing his power and try to take a picture?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Please do not ask me that at this point in time.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
People do this thing called lying, and more than one person can tell a similar lie, and worse than that, people are stupid, and do you really want stupid people sending you to jail for five to ten years because they thought they saw you do something.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

People do this thing called lying, and more than one person can tell a similar lie, and worse than that, people are stupid, and do you really want stupid people sending you to jail for five to ten years

I already said don't count cases of abuse. Please read the topic in full next time before pressing the reply button.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
White Guilt hth

☆♤♤Gayer_Than_life♤♤☆

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Dear GBS, why isn't Judge Dredd real?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
probs because if you give someone an inch they take a mile op

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Dear GBS, why isn't Judge Dredd real?

Woden
May 6, 2006

I already said don't count cases of abuse. Please read the topic in full next time before pressing the reply button.

Oh ok so some magic land then? I vote just use that Minority Report machine, and catch them before they even think of committing the crime.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Woden posted:

Oh ok so some magic land then? I vote just use that Minority Report machine, and catch them before they even think of committing the crime.

As that movie illustrates, that can fail sometimes.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
indians deserve trials too op hth

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

As that movie illustrates, that can fail sometimes.

quote:

I already said don't count cases of abuse.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Please don't try to own me. Manipulation in a single case is not the same thing as widespread abuse.

Dolphin posted:

indians deserve trials too op hth

Please don't glibly insult India or it's people, do not follow the goon hivemind. It is a dark and dangerous road.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
you should change your name to megatron

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
So, if some omniscient, perfectly just eyeball sees the rape in question, then yes, the perpetartor should go to jail. But nobody is omniscient and systems can be corrupted and policemen sometimes have motives at odds to justice, so we have to have protections built in.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
hi meg from family guy have you met jake, from state farm?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inevitable posted:

So, if some omniscient, perfectly just eyeball sees the rape in question, then yes, they should go to jail. But nobody is omniscient and systems can be corrupted and policemen sometimes have motives at odds to justice, so we have to have protections built in.

thankfully the justice system works both ways and any time a cop does something bad they are given fair punishment fitting the crime

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
yeah here's some hot news: if someone literally is "caught red-handed" (taking your "balls-deep in a child" as an example) the prosecution will have a pretty easy job putting them away. now sleep tight

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunshine Mix posted:

yeah here's some hot news: if someone literally is "caught red-handed" (taking your "balls-deep in a child" as an example) the prosecution will have a pretty easy job putting them away. now sleep tight
what about mistrial

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Dolphin posted:

what about mistrial

Or jury nullification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
double jeopardy