Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
These morans dont know about original sin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Durgat posted:

way to eat an apple whore and condemn mankind forever lol

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Both groups can suffer from teleological and assumptive thinking that makes them into loving retard babies. The only truth is in nihilism you jokers, there is no meaning to life or the existence of life and creating meaning serves only to distract from the void that is existence. Lose all desire, chaos reigns, kill you're family

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
tried summoning a demon once and it didn't show up. i guess what i'm saying is that worshipping satan is exactly as effective at measurably improving your life as worshipping jesus is, so the two are 100% equivalent and completely exchangeable.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Cardiovorax posted:

tried summoning a demon once and it didn't show up. i guess what i'm saying is that worshipping satan is exactly as effective at measurably improving your life as worshipping jesus is, so the two are 100% equivalent and completely exchangeable.

hail satan

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
Religion is only one of many narratives we construct to mentally shield ourselves from the madness and brutality inherent to our existence as me at bags, but the limits of our cognition and perception keep us secure in a world of pleasing lies and hidden cruelties.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Eumenides posted:

Both groups can suffer from teleological and assumptive thinking that makes them into loving retard babies. The only truth is in nihilism you jokers, there is no meaning to life or the existence of life and creating meaning serves only to distract from the void that is existence. Lose all desire, chaos reigns, kill you're family

tho I bet a nihilist drops their pretenses pretty quickly when threatened with death

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
Fear of death is the first of many truths that are terrifying and impossible to resolve so we dream up rewards and punishments arbitrarily assigned on the basis of our values. To conceive of nonexistence is impossible by definition and so we hide under mental blankets of deeper meaning and unseen order, either religious or secular, but neither can save you from life's inherently gruesome foundations. Take what you can get because chances are a lot of users on SA including myself have won the genetic lottery by existing in this is time period of relative abundance, comfort and leisure that makes such questions so relevant.

Don't worry tho cause singulatiry lol

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

sorry your fat bro, hopefully one day youll see your dick again

no I think he means you're a huge bitch, as in, a fatty

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Durgat posted:

Gawd: Dis is der tree of knowledge. I want you lot to be dumb, so NO EATIN'!
Adum: Ok.
Eve: No man can tell me wat to do.
Snake: Eat da apple and find out what beauty tips makeup artists are angry over!.
Eve Online: Ok.
Gawd: OHNOES why did I not see dis! GET THE gently caress OUT ADUM AND TAKE YOUR SKANK WITH YOU!*

*This really happened.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

Gawd: Dis is der tree of knowledge. I want you lot to be dumb, so NO EATIN'!
Adum: Ok.
Eve: No man can tell me wat to do.
Snake: Eat da apple and find out what beauty tips makeup artists are angry over!.
Eve Online: Ok.
Gawd: OHNOES why did I not see dis! GET THE gently caress OUT ADUM AND TAKE YOUR SKANK WITH YOU!*

*This really happened.
i mean when you put it like that it does sound kinda dumb

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The notion that non-existence after death is the one true scientific view is kinda silly when you realize that there is no evidence that non-existence is even possible, much less probable.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Please stop mimicking my threads tia

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

atheists are notoriously stingy when it comes to charity while the overwhelming bulk of charity is given by religious types

Hey i donate blood what's up representing my atheist blood brethren

Also selfish people can be believers/ non believers. What a revelation.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
reminder that at any moment god could snap and teleport a snake up your butt like he did with Job

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

When I say "hail satan" I don't actually mean I'm worshipping some made up demon. I mean "gently caress you, you stupid fundie."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheJoker138 posted:

When I say "hail satan" I don't actually mean I'm worshipping some made up demon. I mean "gently caress you, you stupid fundie."
exactly as useful as actually worshipping the devil so good on you i guess

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
ilikedirts reign as king of posting is a divine edict handed down from angels in heaven

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Miltank posted:

If you fairly evaluated all other religions you will find that Christianity is objectively the best.

I dunno, Christianity sure does have a lot of skeletons in the mass murder closet.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Eumenides posted:

Fear of death is the first of many truths that are terrifying and impossible to resolve so we dream up rewards and punishments arbitrarily assigned on the basis of our values. To conceive of nonexistence is impossible by definition and so we hide under mental blankets of deeper meaning and unseen order, either religious or secular, but neither can save you from life's inherently gruesome foundations. Take what you can get because chances are a lot of users on SA including myself have won the genetic lottery by existing in this is time period of relative abundance, comfort and leisure that makes such questions so relevant.

Don't worry tho cause singulatiry lol

i don't think you know much about any religions other than christianity

death is natural, go meditate in the Ganges next to some corpses until you die of sepsis imo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ninotoreS posted:

I dunno, Christianity sure does have a lot of skeletons in the mass murder closet.

All major religions + some minor cults have mass graves somewhere, godless heathens, too, have scores of uncounted corpses on their hands so nobody wins in the mass murder finger pointing game.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Waltzing Along should have posted:

good shitposting takes no effort.
good anime is good.
good weed is good.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

i don't think you know much about any religions other than christianity

death is natural, go meditate in the Ganges next to some corpses until you die of sepsis imo

All faiths promise some escape from death, whether in an afterlife or the cycle of rebirth, but they are just stories we tell ourselves.

I posit nonexistence since it's the only result that necessarily follows from life: the existence and destruction of things presupposes their potential not to exist. Maybe our mass can be said to continue its existence but our consciousness certainly won't (which is known to rely on the workings of the brain, and disruptions to the brain are consequentially disruptions of everything we can say constitutes human identity and experience).

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Eumenides posted:

All faiths promise some escape from death, whether in an afterlife or the cycle of rebirth, but they are just stories we tell ourselves.

I posit nonexistence since it's the only result that necessarily follows from life: the existence and destruction of things presupposes their potential not to exist. Maybe our mass can be said to continue its existence but our consciousness certainly won't (which is known to rely on the workings of the brain, and disruptions to the brain are consequentially disruptions of everything we can say constitutes human identity and experience).

brain as a fleshly modem for soul.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Izumi Konata posted:

brain as a fleshly modem for soul.

Some people got broadband, some still got a 9600 baud

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

babypolis posted:

i like you kyrie eleison so why does you religion posting haver to be lovely and judgemental

thank you for saying so, i guess the answer is that i am a moody person and sometimes i am a jerk and i apologize for that.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

atheists are notoriously stingy when it comes to charity while the overwhelming bulk of charity is given by religious types

It's nice to see the face of the person you're giving your money too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Eumenides posted:

The !kung bushmen believe in gods but no afterlife

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The ancient Egyptians believed that only rich ppl with ka statues would have a shot at the afterlife

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Eumenides posted:

the cycle of rebirth isn't an enjoyable thing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

thank you for saying so, i guess the answer is that i am a moody person and sometimes i am a jerk and i apologize for that.

its cool you should just try to be more flexibe in your religious thinking

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Eumenides posted:

pretty sure that rebirth is not like reincarnation at all. buddhist rebirth has nothing to do with any part of the deceased individual passing onto a new body afaik. not exactly an escape any more than annihilation.

[edit] also all religions are dumb and gay and based on nothing and the only reason that people believe in them is that their parents lied to them from an early age and/or they are loving retards.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I believe in the Scientific Method, PBUI

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I feel like self-described atheists often don't understand the shades of atheistic thought and how to describe themselves. For example, by learning more about atheism I discovered I should more accurately describe myself as an 'agnostic atheist', simply because I can't discount that somewhere, some entity could have what we consider 'god-like' abilities, even though no evidence points to this fact at this time.

This is much how I feel about religious people who do not educate themselves on religion and its purpose, or who harbor thoughts like "There's an unseen probably benevolent force that definitely exists that I have no proof of to offer, yet believe in it anyway because I'm terrified of what it would mean if it did not and feel comforted by my ignorant and purposefully blinding faith that it does."

hth

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I feel like self-described atheists often don't understand the shades of atheistic thought and how to describe themselves. For example, by learning more about atheism I discovered I should more accurately describe myself as an 'agnostic atheist', simply because I can't discount that somewhere, some entity could have what we consider 'god-like' abilities, even though no evidence points to this fact at this time.

This is much how I feel about religious people who do not educate themselves on religion and its purpose, or who harbor thoughts like "There's an unseen probably benevolent force that definitely exists that I have no proof of to offer, yet believe in it anyway because I'm terrified of what it would mean if it did not and feel comforted by my ignorant and purposefully blinding faith that it does."

hth

what is religion and its purpose?

can an atheist be religious?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

babypolis posted:

its cool you should just try to be more flexibe in your religious thinking

i've seen things every which way, the main issue is just being a dick. some people are really easy going all the time, i'm a little more manic-depressive so i have periods where i'm super giddy and fun and friendly and everything i post is automatically gold (or at least it is to me) and others where i'm morose and solitary and even a little mean. i still want to post when i'm that way but i just need to put a little more effort into what i write, i've noticed that merely putting in the effort can cheer me up a bit and get me in a more appreciable mindset. i always hate how i feel when i've posted something dumb and i'm afraid to read the replies later on.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ashgromnies posted:

what is religion and its purpose?

oppressing social others to the benefit of their own group/class/organization

quote:

can an atheist be religious?

Yes if they wear their atheism on their sleeves, get righteous about it, and oppress others.

I'm kidding mostly, since this is GBS and also because in the specific sense I was using it, I meant 'religious' to be those involved in the positive belief of a deity as defined by recognized and/or organized societal structures often referred to as 'religious' as opposed to the disbelief in any higher power.

edit: 'oppress' is a strong word, and I'm sorry if that offends. 'Denigrate' is probably better.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 24, 2014

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Miltank posted:

If you fairly evaluated all other religions you will find that Christianity is objectively the best.

Uh no. Sikhism is by far the best religion. Look how wrong you are.

It's still pretty silly, but harmlessly so.

Also atheism is just non belief in a deity. Anything else that someone wants to ascribe to it is doing so in bad faith (ha ha).

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
Hey guys serious FYI. I'm an Atheist and I don't like to have my beliefs questions. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

oppressing social others to the benefit of their own group/class/organization

you're fuckin stupid homie

• Locked thread