Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
As the newest (only) Villarreal plastic, I'll volunteer to draft their write-up this weekend.

So plastic I just printed their crest and it's now hanging in my cubicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Monday Bandele posted:

Athletic recently played a guy born to Angolan(?) parents in Bilbao so at least they're only xenophobic, not racist

You're referring to Jonás Ramalho. His mother is Basque, his father is Angolan, and he was born/raised in the Basque country.

There's a difference between a club wanting to promote home grown talent and local identity versus one that only wants to promote specific types (i.e., white) of home grown talent.

Not sure how common this model is, especially in first divisions. Mexico's Guadalajara only fields Mexican-born players. You could be of any race or cultural background so long as you were born in the country. Though country-wide in the Mexican sense gives you a much larger player pool than just Basque country.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Get to know Villarreal!

Villarreal Club de Fútbol S.A.D. (El Submarino Amarillo)
This will be Villarreal's second consecutive season in the top flight. Having just been promoted back last year, they weren't expected to do too well but they finished the season in a respectable 6th place and will be competing in the Europa League playoff stage for group qualification. The team is based in the city of Vila-real which has a population of just over 51,000 residents. Despite being a small club from a small city, Villareal have had relatively good success since first winning promotion to the top division in the 1998/1999 season. The club placed 3rd in the 2004/2005 season; reached the Champions League semifinals in 2005/2006; finished 5th in the 2006/2007 season, 2nd in 2007/2008, 5th in 2008/2009, and were also quarterfinalists in the 2008/2009 Champions League.

Hailing from the province of Castelló within the Valencian Community, the club's main provincial rival is CD Castellón (they play the Castellón Derby or Derby de la Plana). Another top rival is Valencia CF as both clubs are based within the same autonomous community. The club plays its home matches at "El Madrigal" stadium which has a capacity of just under 25,000. The club is know as the "Yellow Submarine" due to their bright yellow home kit and their ugly mascot is known as "Groguet" which means 'submarine' in Valencia. Seriously, check it out, it is ugly.

Major signing last season was Giovani dos Santos who finished the season with 11 goals in 31 appearances. Ikechukwu Uche had a good season as well having scored 14 goals in 35 appearances. The biggest signing this season thus far has been Barcelona's Jonathan dos Santos. This will be the first time two Mexican brothers play on the same club in La Liga.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Chas McGill posted:

I'm still nominally an Elche plastic although in truth I saw very few of their games last season. I am looking forward to seeing Barca and Real falling apart again as Atletico surge to a second title.

This season I'd like Elche, Villarreal and Depor to do really well and surprise everyone.

Elche and Villarreal play each other tomorrow afternoon.

Watch and finalize your decision please.

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 29, 2014

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Tortilla Maker posted:

Elche and Villarreal play each other tomorrow afternoon.

Watch and finalize your decision please.

Match can be viewed on the YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BODj44f1jWk

• Locked thread