Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

OK here goes...

So, onto grading...

Stage 2 - Well, until I read both the summary and your bit of fluff, I didn't realize exactly how many game terms and mechanics you had packed in there! I've already revealed some of my hand (liking CoC and games of that ilk), so I get where you're going with your entry.

Have you checked out Grimoire Shuffle? It's played with cards and some sort of markers, but most importantly it has two-sided map cards that can be rearranged to make the game board. It might be worth looking at for ideas.

Numbers-wise, you sound on the way. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. 5 Points, and 1 Share of Company stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Inspired somewhat by the D&D boardgames (because I was thinking bout interlocking tiles, I'm going GMless with this game. Probably. I mean, if it tests out OK. If I can work it out.

I think I have a solid idea, but I'm doing that doubt thing.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Inspired somewhat by the D&D boardgames (because I was thinking bout interlocking tiles, I'm going GMless with this game. Probably. I mean, if it tests out OK. If I can work it out.

I think I have a solid idea, but I'm doing that doubt thing.

Give it a shot. If it turns out not to work as well as you hoped, eh, you'll have something beat from it you can use later.

On that note, *coughcough* what's your email?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

How has the week been? Have your games been coming along?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

TheSoundNinja posted:

How has the week been? Have your games been coming along?
Progress is slow, but I should have some good stuff to share tomorrow.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kinda slow. I changed direction a little bit earlier in the week because things just weren't very coherent. I'll be able to show some stuff tonight or tomorrow, but not as much as I'd hoped.

My email is alphadogSA at gmail.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Progress is happening, albeit I don't have a lot more down on the page at this point -- but I do have a resolution mechanic. My goal for tomorrow is to present the rulesheet in a near-finished form, so I can move on to the deckbuilding bit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is my check-in. I won't be making a piece of fan-media for anyone else.

Components
Something with which to generate a random-ish map (this is to come, it's giving me trouble).
A set of counters representing the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM.
A set of double sided counters representing Patrons of the Venue (side 1) and Aliens/Victims (side 2).
Two counters representing the JANITOR and the armory (this might be a map tile if I use tiles)
Cards for patrons, cards for aliens
2-sided security badges for the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM.
"Cleanup in Aisle X" tracker.
Some paperlcips
2d6.

Game setup
Everyone takes a security badge
A map is randomly generated (somehow...)
Players place their counters near the JANITOR or near a venue entrance/exit.
Place the patron/enemy/victim tokens PATRON side up in random-ish places (with tiles, it'll be a mark on the tile)

Gameplay

Stage 1
Players approach Patron token, and test Alert vs patron's Sneaky to see if they "spot an alien".
If they do, test Robust vs Aggressive OR Patient vs Connected. If they pass, they reduce the opponent's stat. If they fail, reduce their stat OR their Alert. **
Track your stats with paperclips on the side of your security badge.
If a stat would be reduced to zero, the Panic Button is pressed.
When the Panic Button is pressed, goto "transition".

Transition
Players turn their security badges over, transforming from humble security guards into the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM. (Their stats carry over - see the badge below)
All patron tokens are turned over, becoming ALIEN or VICTIM tokens.

Stage 2
VICTIMS once per turn move slowly towards an exit.
ALIENS move towards nearest VICTIM or Player and shoot at them.
Tick down "Cleanup in aisle X" at start of each turn. If it reaches zero, game over.
Players may get GUNS from the armoury.
Players without GUNS must approach aliens, and test Steady or Brave against aliens Dangerous (try to take them to zero)
Players with guns may shoot aliens up to X squares away, testing Steady vs aliens Healthy (try to take them to zero)
Aliens shoot at (nearest) Players and VICTIMS up to X squares away, testing Dangerous vs Healthy etc etc.

Winning
Players must kill/subdue all aliens and then at least one player must reach the JANITOR before Cleanup In Aisle Zero.

** I'm still figuring out the numbers and resolution, but it's going to be a roll of 1d6 or 2d6 compared to... something.

Here's the badge mockup. You fold it in half to make it 2-sided: (edit: it won't attach, apparently. I'll use imgur).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 17, 2014

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Attention participants:

You have :siren: less than 12 hours :siren: before the next check-in.

This week is the final "show some progress" week. Next week, you'll be turning in a rough draft of your game.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
So, I've created some Stuperpowers!-style Instaventures! for use with my game this week. Which is to say, something that basically reduces GM adventure prep to 'Have your players do this mad-lib'. Would you folks rather I just post them all, or would some of you rather I do one of them first and see what we get before I post them?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

So, I've created some Stuperpowers!-style Instaventures! for use with my game this week. Which is to say, something that basically reduces GM adventure prep to 'Have your players do this mad-lib'. Would you folks rather I just post them all, or would some of you rather I do one of them first and see what we get before I post them?

I'd say just post 'em. The more content, the merrier! If they don't work out, there's still revision time.

Also, so as not to double-post, here's my second progress check-in. This is basically a rough draft of the ruleset, in 12-point Times New Roman to make sure it fits into the length restrictions. All crit is appreciated, and I have a few specific questions for people:

1) What do you think of the resolution mechanic? I'm playing with the idea that your dice rolls themselves are a resource to be rationed (or worked around if you have a really bad hand).
2) The first draft specified a straight 4/4 HR/Toolkit split, but this draft I'm playing with the idea of letting the players divide 8 dots how they'd like, as long as each capital attribute has at least two dots. Does this seem like fun, or just like a way for players to screw themselves over? (Not that that's out of tone in a survival-horror game, I suppose.)
3) I didn't attempt to work in the GM notes about creating and using Event Decks into this version; this is a player-oriented guide. Is that something that can be counted as an appendix to the Event Deck accessory, TSN, or should I find a way to work it into the two pages of the draft?

Bonus to come later tonight.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

3) I didn't attempt to work in the GM notes about creating and using Event Decks into this version; this is a player-oriented guide. Is that something that can be counted as an appendix to the Event Deck accessory, TSN, or should I find a way to work it into the two pages of the draft?

Well, if the deck is not needed for play, but is a bonus, I don't think so. I haven't checked your rules yet, but your game's rules must include all mechanics and instructions needed for all players (including GMs) to play the game.

Hint, hint: if it is extra, it might come in handy for the next check-in...

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Quick and dirty rules. No flavor. Lots of white space.

Start of the tile list. No badges. You don't need to see our badges.

Turned out to be a busy week for me, but I've got a basis for some instructions and a start on some of the tiles. More testing, as always, required.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Here's my next version, with (I think) most of the rules done.

I didn't get nearly as much time to work on it this week as I'd hoped, as overtime at work kicked into high gear, but I'm mostly happy with it so far. I've actually added stuff to make it more of an actual game that uses the dice pools, and hopefully made the dice pool system a little bit more clear. I'm still not fully sure if most of the rules are actually clear at all, but hopefully they're understandable. If you have any questions let me know, and I'll try my best to edit poo poo to be better.

I was going to add a combat system, but I think working at a slaughterhouse doesn't really involve much fighting - and who the poo poo would want to fight an elder god, anyways? Instead, players are trying to encourage them to perform simple tasks. Since they're big dumb cows this is easier said than done.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Attention duelists:

You have :siren:less than 2 hours:siren: till the cut-off point for this week's Check-in.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Since [Shoggoths are] big dumb cows this is easier said than done.
I dunno if it'll count as fanart, but I thought it was funny.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Casnorf - that's pretty excellent, I'd say.

More importantly - check in time! I've made a few tweaks to the design doc, which can still be found at the previous link and I'll be including below. I've also spent this week working on a few Instaventures!, to dramatically lower GM prep time. That can be found on the second link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mxb5f86orca8e5/Design%20doc.doc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbhfb2f97tgnfwg/Instaventures%21.doc

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Bonus check-in: I done wrote some Operation: Big Clean fanfiction. I hope it isn't too mortifying.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

And with that, Check-in 3 is now ended. Late check-ins are still available up till Wednesday, 11:59p CST.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Before I grade, let me fill you in on how to submit your proof of having met the length requirement:
I am requiring you to fill two letter-sized pages of text (one piece of letter-sized paper, front and back). This means that using the enter key is not a required part of your proof. In addition, if you are using Google Drive, you will need to set the "Line Spacing" to "Single". Failing to set the line spacing will make it look like you have less space than is really there. Also, don't use any special formatting on your text as it can take up more space as well. Let me know if you have any other questions about this, as you'll need to turn it in for next week's Check-in.

Let's grade some things:
  • Black Wombat: Well, I'm liking where this game is going. You've figured out what you need to do with difficulty and skill checks, and have a good idea for the villains. I think the Instaventures is a good way to solve the problem of game prep work for the GM. Can't wait to see your rough draft, but with the basics down you should focus on the fluff. 5 points

• Casnorf:That's nice and simple. I'm glad you didn't add any unnecessarily complicated mechanics, as they would only trip up Trashmen. I do have to warn you though - fluff is extremely important for your entry: What you have is pretty good, but the treasure sounds a little too generic. Get crazy and zany - People throw out all kinds of crap in real life. Running the game for too long also runs that risk, but limiting the game based on the number of rounds is a good way of stopping that from happening. 5 Points, Bonus Point Acquired

• CodfishCartographer: This is developing nicely, but I would suggest looking into how you want to have the EGs work, in terms of their pools. It might be the tricky wording, or it might be something that makes more sense with a play example. Just something to keep in mind. The dice pool mechanic makes much more sense now, but you might want to post an example Task Card to show us what it's going to look like and feature mechanics-wise. There's a RPG about Ninja Burger that might offer some inspiration. If you'd like a look at it, I can PM you a link to my copy on GDrive for the length of the contest (I'll be setting it back to private after). Keep it up! 4 Points

• Antivehicular: Well, that's pretty weird about the whole Markers for Owed Favors thing. Eh, must be deja vu. I like the way the game is unfolding. It's like some weird RPG meets a worker placement game. Like with Codfish, post an example of the whole "Event Deck" idea to the thread, so we can make sure you're headed in the right direction. 5 points, Bonus Point Achieved

• AlphaDog: It's coming along nicely. I sent you a temporary link to that game I mentioned previously, Grimoire Shuffle, in my GDrive (it's a temporary link - when the contest is done, it's gone) so that you can see how they deal with the generation of a random map. Another game to look at for possible inspiration is Betrayal at the House on the Hill (it's specifically map tiles that are drawn from a deck), a dungeon generating d12, or something like the Munchkin door cards (just as departments in the store in question). I'm confident you can come up with something, even if it seems like it's a huge obstacle right now. I'm liking the use of props in your entry, but I'm confused by the repetition of X as a variable. As the Clean-up timer ticks down, are you saying the range on guns also goes down? 4 Points

So, this week's Bonus Point Mission: Nickel and Dime 'em! Make a small expansion for your game. If you've been working on something that you think would qualify already, you don't - you'll either need to double the size of it and indicate the ones that count for the Bonus Point or make another expansion.

Also, I have been giving references to games and media that may be inspirational to participants. I don't consider this to be in bad taste (as my film professor does the same in our classes). Feel stuck on something? Ask me, and I'll try to forward something that might offer inspiration.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Also, I feel like being a generous soul:

For the final Check-in, the two interlocking missions (meaning yes, it's worth 2 BP) is: Playtest someone else's entry AND/OR get someone who works the field that the entry revolves around playtest with you.

Also, what's the one job you'd never work and why? Mine's working at a restaurant. Somewhere between Fight Club and hearing horror stories from people who worked at a Whataburger near where I lived in high school, it's taken on a sort of "the only thing left is to die in a gutter" vibe. Oddly enough, I'm a sample guy at a grocery store, so I know it's not the food safety stuff. Was my fear unfounded?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

I'm confused by the repetition of X as a variable. As the Clean-up timer ticks down, are you saying the range on guns also goes down?

I get why that was confusing.

X is just a placeholder for "A figure goes here. I have done no math yet, so I don't know what it is." It's not always the same figure.

TheSoundNinja posted:

Also, what's the one job you'd never work and why? Mine's working at a restaurant. Somewhere between Fight Club and hearing horror stories from people who worked at a Whataburger near where I lived in high school, it's taken on a sort of "the only thing left is to die in a gutter" vibe. Oddly enough, I'm a sample guy at a grocery store, so I know it's not the food safety stuff. Was my fear unfounded?

Pub Security (again). It was my first "real" job out of high school, and the interview went like this:

"How tall are ya?"

"6 foot 2"

"Can ya handle yerself?" (Aussie slang maybe? Translates to "can you fight")

"Yeah"

"Do you have any convictions for assault?"

"Nah"

"When do ya wanna start?"

loving seriously, that was it. The next night I had a plastic badge and a door to stand at. My training went like this:

"Don't let anyone in if they don't have ID, ok?"

"Yeah"

"OK then, I'm going for a piss, back in 5."

Other bouncers were mostly ok. Customers and wages were total poo poo. Bartenders got paid more than us.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, bad news. My computer died Sunday night a few hours after I posted my last check in. I've been fiddling with it hoping I can salvage it, but it's not looking good. I haven't got another computer (posting from my phone) and don't really know when I'll be able to replace it. Not sure if I'll be able to get something thrown together for the rough draft, but I'll see what I can do.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Welp, bad news. My computer died Sunday night a few hours after I posted my last check in. I've been fiddling with it hoping I can salvage it, but it's not looking good. I haven't got another computer (posting from my phone) and don't really know when I'll be able to replace it. Not sure if I'll be able to get something thrown together for the rough draft, but I'll see what I can do.

If there's a local library in your area, or a college you attend, Google Drive would be available to you, so rough draft wise you'd be okay. It sucks to have that happen though.

Whenever you get the chance to finish, let us know. We'd love to see the final result.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

TheSoundNinja posted:

[*]Antivehicular: Well, that's pretty weird about the whole Markers for Owed Favors thing. Eh, must be deja vu.

Huh! Well, I'm not surprised the Markers aren't really original -- they were inspired by Strings from Monsterhearts, and I can't imagine there aren't plenty of games with this sort of mechanic. Honestly, I'm kind of debating whether to leave them in at this point. I like the concept of interplayer interactions being another form of resources you have to juggle, to help emulate the way that office managing feels like spinning plates, but I worry it's a bit secondary and/or not going to be used unless I add a mechanic to compel taking and spending Markers.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheSoundNinja posted:

If there's a local library in your area, or a college you attend, Google Drive would be available to you, so rough draft wise you'd be okay. It sucks to have that happen though.

Whenever you get the chance to finish, let us know. We'd love to see the final result.

I'll see about the library, as I've done work at some before in similar situations. I work full time right now so I'm not sure if I'd be able to catch one while it's open though. Editing the google doc would be pretty easy even on my phone (I assume I can edit it on my phone?) but since I thought adding in task cards would be a great idea, not sure how I'll go about including those without some kind of image editor. Would photos of hand-made cards count for the rough draft? :v:

Speaking of the cards, I'll post an example one here later tonight, along with an example for the EG dice pool business.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Well, for editing Google Drive documents, you'll need the Docs app. It's free, and is basically like Microsoft Word Mobile for Windows Mobile 7.1 (if you ever used it).

As for cards, Deckromancy is also a web-based card editor (found by checking out the site I linked earlier). Worst case scenario, if you find a way to nab a business card template for Google Drive, you'd also be able to make it that way.

Worst-case scenario: just make a card list. Index cards are dirt cheap.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Huh! Well, I'm not surprised the Markers aren't really original -- they were inspired by Strings from Monsterhearts, and I can't imagine there aren't plenty of games with this sort of mechanic. Honestly, I'm kind of debating whether to leave them in at this point. I like the concept of interplayer interactions being another form of resources you have to juggle, to help emulate the way that office managing feels like spinning plates, but I worry it's a bit secondary and/or not going to be used unless I add a mechanic to compel taking and spending Markers.

Well, I found the mechanic when I used it was rather interesting. The game had a version of the Bro Code:

The Bro Code posted:

• If someone helps you, you owe them a Solid. You always respect and honor Solids.
  • If you owe someone more Solids than another, the request of the person who you owe the most Solids to takes precedence if they redeem one (Regardless of how dumb of a request).
  • Suffer not the Tool to... be a Tool.
  • It’s okay to Wager (or Bet) against the Bros every now and then, as it keeps them on their toes.
  • If you Wager too often though, you’re just being a Douchebag (Douchebags are also known as Tools).
  • If it’s your drink, you have the right to the first sip.

I found it worked well, but it fit with the theme I was going with. I'd suggest coming up with thematically appropriate rules (like the ones I bolder above).

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey. How y'all doing? Games coming along? Real Life Consequences keeping at bay?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Real life is certainly still being a thing!

Anyways, you asked for an example card! Have one in text form since I don't have a computer anymore:

Task:
Herd 2 Shoggoth and a Mi-Go into their stables.
Target: 9 Successful Encouragements
Shoggoth: 2 dice [in their pool]
Mi-Go: 3 dice
Other:
For each failed Direct Encouragement, reduce the number of successful Encouragements by 1.

An example turn:

Jonathan wants to directly encourage the Mi-Go towards its stable. The GM rolled its dice at the start of the encounter, with the results being 2, 3, and 5. The GM decides to use the 2 and the 5 as the difficulty of the encouragement. Jonathan decides to use 5 dice from his physical pool for the check. He rolls them, and the results are 4, 3, 2, 5, and 6. He decides to use the 3 and the 6 for the success - gaining the group 1 successful encouragement towards the goal of 9. He immediately places the two dice he used for this success into the pool of his choice - he chooses the physical pool.

He then has the option to try Further Encouragement. If he decides to go for it, he only has his remaining 4, 2, and 5 for the check. The GM re-rolls the two Mi-Go dice, as the creature changes shape. The two dice come up 4 and 6. Jonathan can use the 4 or 5 to match the first die, but doesn't have anything to match the second. Since it's a Further Encouragement, Jonathan takes 1 HP damage (this damage is equal to the number of EG dice that aren't matched, in this it was just the 6). Since Jonathan failed this check, the dice he used for it go into his mental pool. If Jonathan had succeeded, any dice not used to match the Mi-Go's dice would be placed into the mental pool, and the dice used for the success go into the pool of Jonathan's choice.

After this is finished, the GM re-rolls the two dice the Mi-Go used, and returns them to its pool. The 3 from earlier is still there, but the two dice now read 1 and 3, making the Mi-Go's new dice pool 1, 3, 3.

Hopefully that all makes sense? Suggestions for ways to clean up or improve the system or task cards?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm about to go do 3ish hours of continuous jiu jitsu rounds to help/celebrate my friends grading up. Everyone I fight will (by definition) be better than me. The compensation is supposed to be that they're much much more tired than me, but I just spent 3 hours concreting without the aid of a cement mixer (which is a lovely job that I never want to do again, but would make a boring game).

So I'm gonna be loving tired and sore tomorrow, which should be a reasonable excuse to get some writing done for PC:DOTE (I have worked out my resolution system, it's "roll 2d6 <+/- modifier>, get a 7+").

Edit: My wife was going to help me with some art, but she's become seriously busy. So I might not have any actual game art. I'm planning to include printable counters, but they might end up with generic clipart or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 22, 2014

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

If it's any comfort, AlphaDog, I'm going to be graphically-deprived as well. I'll probably try to prettify the final draft, but for the rough, I'm shooting for "printable and playable" above "looks even slightly good."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My rough draft is literally being written on my phone, so don't worry too much about the competition when it comes to art.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

As long as it's playtest-able, it can work for the rough draft. I would strongly recommend finding a way to do the visuals for the final Check-in, but you're good till then.

Magic Set Editor is another option, if Decknomancy isn't possible. Also, you can get Decknomancy for iOS or Android, if smartphones or tablets would work for you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for the deckromancy suggestion, I totally forgot about it until just now.

Here's a quick mockup of a Task card, based mostly on the one I listed above.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Attention duelists: you have :siren: less than 48 hours :siren: to finish your rough drafts for the next Check-in.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Attention Contestagoons: you have :siren: less than 12 hours :siren: before the rough draft Check-in!

Best of luck, I can't wait to see what you have to offer.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Between illness and an earthquake, I'm going to have to drop out. I am deeply shamed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

Between illness and an earthquake, I'm going to have to drop out. I am deeply shamed.

Dude, I'm really sorry. Can you take your late week, or is it beyond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

TheSoundNinja posted:

Attention Contestagoons: you have :siren: less than 12 hours :siren: before the rough draft Check-in!

Best of luck, I can't wait to see what you have to offer.
I actually have to take my late week this week. Had sort of a busy week last week and couldn't get every (read: any) thing done that I wanted. On the plus side, I went to the Nationals game on my birthday and got an Ian Desmond bobblehead!

Black Wombat posted:

I don't want to see you drop out. Is there anything I, as a complete stranger on the internet, can do to help see you stay in?

• Locked thread