Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best new Batman movie
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
View Results

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Why is Superman vs Batman even a movie?

Superman beats Batman into a stain on the ground. The End.

actually while batman has superman greatly weakened and he's rambling on about how he had planned this for years and always kept kryptonite in his utility belt, the predator caps them both with his shoulder laser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

dontcareaboutname posted:

this thread was boring just trolling here. any time you mention race gender or sex some one has a fit. the worse you state an idea or concept, the faster people try, and correct you.

:greencube:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

dontcareaboutname posted:

this thread was boring just trolling here. any time you mention race gender or sex some one has a fit. the worse you state an idea or concept, the faster people try, and correct you.

Don't leave me hanging, was I right about you being fat and coming from an unpleasant broken home

Of course I was

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Man of Steel has a lot of downside but I liked the look of the Kryptonian sets and their armor a lot. The liquid metal displays weren't functional but they were cool looking and different.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Doppelganger posted:

They're gonna team up not fight for real duh

I just hope there's a scene where Superman has to get somewhere in a hurry and bring Batman so he just scoops him up and flies and Batman is like "never. Do that. Again." :lol:

Also a scene where they have to examine a crime scene and Supes is like *frowns* okay I just x-rayed and microscoped every inch of the room, and whoever broke in here left no evidence, and Batman is like you mean broke out, the glass shattered outwards moron lol and Supes is like :doh:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bane comes to Gotham, snaps batman in half, mails him to Mongolia, then makes crime legal. How can you not be entertained by that?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Harime Nui posted:

They're gonna team up not fight for real duh

I just hope there's a scene where Superman has to get somewhere in a hurry and bring Batman so he just scoops him up and flies and Batman is like "never. Do that. Again." :lol:

Also a scene where they have to examine a crime scene and Supes is like *frowns* okay I just x-rayed and microscoped every inch of the room, and whoever broke in here left no evidence, and Batman is like you mean broke out, then superman flies back in time and solves the crime.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol @ anyone who didn't vote for Batman begins. It is infinitely better than the other 2.

It has real themes and progression and isn't a horrible mess.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh wow, themes and progression? Doesn't stop it from being bad and also boring tho

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Oh wow, themes and progression? Doesn't stop it from being bad and also boring tho

I disagree, the 3rd one was the boring one.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have a man c rush on Ken Watanabe not afraid to say

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Tujague posted:

This is what I thought about every single movie ever where something unexpected and not immediately obvious happens of course I also have a lawn dart sticking out of my skull good point guy
Every movie where an alien who's impervious to bullets fights a guy who's in really good shape.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Zzulu posted:

Sure does. We start with a boy, follow him through his teen and young adult days, and later become a man. Than more than a Man.

It presents "why" Wayne does this in a compelling manner. It also showed the "how" of Batman in a realistic and exciting way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

I don't get it either.

First, The Dark Knight Rises had a fairly unambiguous ending: A new Bat signal is found by Gordon. Blake has found the Bat Cave. This assumes he's to be the next Batman.

Second, Man of Steel was a great Superman movie that really engaged the concept of a truly super powered hero, ending with the destruction of a large part of Metropolis - something that happens in comics all the time. A great first movie in what is no doubt to be several, at least.

And then, after all that goodness, we have Superman V Batman? With a new Batman, no less.

This seems a butchery of both characters and recent movies.

I'll see it, of course, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Joss Whedon's Batman V Superman.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OMG the new Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman were at Sandi-Con-Con!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

redshirt posted:

I don't get it either.

First, The Dark Knight Rises had a fairly unambiguous ending: A new Bat signal is found by Gordon. Blake has found the Bat Cave. This assumes he's to be the next Batman.

Second, Man of Steel was a great Superman movie that really engaged the concept of a truly super powered hero, ending with the destruction of a large part of Metropolis - something that happens in comics all the time. A great first movie in what is no doubt to be several, at least.

And then, after all that goodness, we have Superman V Batman? With a new Batman, no less.

This seems a butchery of both characters and recent movies.

I'll see it, of course, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Exactly. It feels like they're cutting off Superman's story just as it's getting going.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

riddler's kinda hard to do as a serious villain, and the penguin's just an ugly crime-lord

riddler would be a great villian done with a mystery or whatever that would let batman show off his detective skills for once

they managed joker just fine

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There's a really simple change that could have made Riddler work great in the Nolanverse, imo: put him on the other side of the law. Make him a Fed brought in to handle the vigilante that the GCPD can't or won't deal with.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not making the 3rd movie be riddler will forever be a mistake imo although I liked bane and didn't mind his voice

I really liked when Gotham became all anarchist though and the capitalist pigs were put on trial

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 27, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

not making the 3rd movie be riddler will forever be a mistake imo although I liked bane and didn't mind his voice

I really liked when Gotham became all anarchist though and the capitalist pigs were put on trial

Nolan's take on the Riddler would have been interesting.

I read somewhere a theory that the office dweeb in The Dark Knight who discovers Bruce Wayne is Batman is the Riddler since his name in the movie is named Coleman Reece, or Mr. Reece, or of course, "Mystery". I don't buy it though. But it would be cool, since that's one of the gazillion plotlines in TDK: KILL THE RIDDLER!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dark Knight Rises is better when you think about it as a later Rocky film

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Dark Knight Rises is better when you think about it as a later Rocky film

It's Rocky IV.

In Rocky IV, Rocky is retired and is done with boxing.

Then came this unstoppable boxing machine, Drago, who kills Apollo.

Rocky then trains like a Russian madman and defeats Drago, effectively bringing peace to the world.

TDKR is the same plot, upto and including the primitive training allowing the hero to win.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I must break you

- Tom Hardy

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Arian_Samurai posted:

Bane comes to Gotham, snaps batman in half, mails him to Mongolia, then makes crime legal. How can you not be entertained by that?

if the movie ended at that point it would have been ok. everything after that is utter trash

redshirt you are like some kind of nerd singularity of bad ideas and opinions btw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

babypolis posted:

if the movie ended at that point it would have been ok. everything after that is utter trash

redshirt you are like some kind of nerd singularity of bad ideas and opinions btw

I know, it's crazy, right? Actually liking the enormously successful Batman reboot?

NUTS!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best batman is brave and bold obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

redshirt posted:

I know, it's crazy, right? Actually liking the enormously successful Batman reboot?

NUTS!

you also kinda like the sw prequels and think the democrats actually care about poor ppl, so yeah just a bunch of boring milquetoast retarded opinions

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

babypolis posted:

you also kinda like the sw prequels and think the democrats actually care about poor ppl, so yeah just a bunch of boring milquetoast retarded opinions

Ouch. Really hurts.

I'm going to learn more martial arts now, like my hero, Batman.

Serious question: In Batman Begins, Wayne already knows a lot of martial arts before he hooks up with the League of Shadows. Is there a backstory here?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
all the batman films save Returns (least amount of batman) and Adam West (plays Batman like the joke of a character he is) suck.

Superman is also incredibly boring. All-Star was the best supes but lol if you expect anything like that out of a superman film, gotta fight marvel for most epicly epic epic movie

DC blows

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

redshirt posted:

Ouch. Really hurts.

Serious question: In Batman Begins, Wayne already knows a lot of martial arts before he hooks up with the League of Shadows. Is there a backstory here?

My theory is he learned some MMA and then went to Asia to practice on people who were smaller than him and he knew he could beat them. After he got pretty good beating up smaller people he went northward his ultimate goal being to bang heads with Russians. He wasn't quite ready to gently caress with your average russian yet so he stopped at the middle tier which is the Mongolians and fought with them. Then Ras showed up and gave him acid and ninja skills

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ZombieParts posted:

My theory is he learned some MMA and then went to Asia to practice on people who were smaller than him and he knew he could beat them. After he got pretty good beating up smaller people he went northward his ultimate goal being to bang heads with Russians. He wasn't quite ready to gently caress with your average russian yet so he stopped at the middle tier which is the Mongolians and fought with them. Then Ras showed up and gave him acid and ninja skills

I'm not a comic book nerd enough to know whether this is true or not.

Nerds? Is there any "Canon" explanation as to how Wayne initially gets trained? Prior to the LoS?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
even if comic book canon meant something for the movies it gets rebooted periodically (and has been since Nolan's films)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Ouch. Really hurts.

Growing up, Alfred took him to karate lessons at the mall

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
DKR is the best one because of Scarecrow's stupid trial. Only thing in any of the three movies that made me lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Naerasa posted:

DKR is the best one because of Scarecrow's stupid trial. Only thing in any of the three movies that made me lol.

I thought TDKR was full of humor. The first hour is basically Wayne getting punk'd over and over again, and he knows it.

Regarding the next movie - the "Superman" movie - since Nolan is Exec. Producing, should we assume it's a continuation of the same Batman character as in these three films, even with a different actor? Or is this yet another reboot?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redshirt posted:

Regarding the next movie - the "Superman" movie - since Nolan is Exec. Producing, should we assume it's a continuation of the same Batman character as in these three films, even with a different actor? Or is this yet another reboot?
reboot is the assumption

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Droid posted:

Goons complain about D&D a lot but Cinema Discusso is awful, everyone is trying to psychoanalyze the movie at a near-freudian level in like ten pages

Wish they'd nuke that forum like they did with GBS so it would become readable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

Wish they'd nuke that forum like they did with GBS so it would become readable.

It wouldn't be so bad if they just let dudes say "I didn't like this movie because X" without crawling up their asses for violating the one-true-interpretation a previous effortposter left behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
yah goons are right nolan's films suck the avengers is the best superhero movie because jhosh weedan and who doesn't want to watch iron man fix a ship for 40 minutes then fight the least memorable enemies in history of this genre

• Locked thread