Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Now that we've mass marketed cool, everyone can be a 2chill4u rear end in a top hat with a pair of beats and some wayfarers. You can see these dupes from a mile away, their head smugly tilted back while a pair of $400 overpriced plastic headphones clings to their skulls. Seriously, the bass is not that great, the plastic band easily breaks, and it sounds like you taped some running earbuds inside a waterbottle.

fuckin get some sennheisers, or is that too much research in the hummingbird mind of a beats buyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
dres a fuckin doctor you listen to the man

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

you can buy fake beats nearly everywhere that sound better for like 10 dollars but why on earth you'd want those hideous cans on your head i don't even know

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dubious posted:

dres a fuckin doctor you listen to the man

uhhh that's the whole goddamn point. a supposed hip-hop billionaire could have concocted a 200 watt subwoofer into these huge loving gaudy things and collapsed my skull, but he din't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

down n out posted:

uhhh that's the whole goddamn point. a supposed hip-hop billionaire could have concocted a 200 watt subwoofer into these huge loving gaudy things and collapsed my skull, but he din't.

They're good because buying one means dre made you his bitch and dre is cool enough that even being his bitch is pretty cool indeed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They literally have mirrors in the headphone dept. of a major electronics franchise in Australia.

This was not there until Beats existed.

gently caress Beats.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

They're good because buying one means dre made you his bitch and dre is cool enough that even being his bitch is pretty cool indeed.

never bought them, i am testing them and they suck. hard. a $60 pair of AKGs would be a better investment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What are those sonys that every studio engineer ever uses?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Sennheiser HD 555, I'm sure I could do better now or just get a fresh set but I'm keeping these thing for loving ever because they still amaze me

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

down n out posted:

Seriously, the bass is not that great,

They are actually made to be bass-heavy, so they are intentionally broken.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Beats suck. I don't understand the dumbasses that buy it. Instead I spent $104 on Amazon on some V-Moda headphones that kick rear end, look amazing, sound great, and are tested to aerospace engineering standards and use materials from space age poo poo. It is great.

Do a google image search. I dare you. Buy from Amazon. It is like aural sex in headphone form.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I have some generic dirt cheap headphones and music comes out of them and it sounds okay to me.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Yeah OP i feel you.

I'm a music producer as well as a music and film nut with ridiculously sensitive hearing. Basically i'm a total autismal bitch when it comes to sound quality, and I have been through all kindsa headphones, from cheap crap to stupidly expensive.

What i use now are far and away the best headphones I have ever encountered. Look at the price, too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V150-Headphones-Reversible-Monitoring/dp/B00005QBU9

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

dre sold his share in beats to apple. they also don't release the meaningful specs like you'd normally get with a pair of $400 headphones which isn't surprising because they sound the same or worse than headphones in the $30 range. last time i saw a chart of their response time the highs were poo poo.

the whole thing was started by jimmy iovine and dre as a way to reduce piracy because i guess they were gonna convince people that you can't pirate high quality digital music or something so it would sound like poo poo in their totally high quality headphones. they ended up becoming a trend though so dre is getting rich as gently caress from selling off his stock.
if you think dre actually uses them or any pair in the studio that cost under a grand though then lol.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
beats are the only headphones you can wear in society that make you look like a poser, which is better than all the others which either make you look like a rich twat (sennheisers) or a nerd (every other pair of headphones ever).

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
real question: what do studio producers really use? my impression is beats are decent for the layman but way overpriced. what do the pros buy?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah OP i feel you.

I'm a music producer as well as a music and film nut with ridiculously sensitive hearing. Basically i'm a total autismal bitch when it comes to sound quality, and I have been through all kindsa headphones, from cheap crap to stupidly expensive.

What i use now are far and away the best headphones I have ever encountered. Look at the price, too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V150-Headphones-Reversible-Monitoring/dp/B00005QBU9

im sorry no one ever told you that you have may have some sensorineural hearing loss.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
yeah beats are garbage

people who buy them don't know any better or like the look of them

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

sony mdr are the only headphones you need cuz theyre the best ones that exist

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

beats were first manufactured by monster like the ones who make the $100 USB cables and poo poo. that was all i had to look up to find out not to buy that garbage.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i guess grado makes a good ones if you like bleeding sound like a slit artery

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

down n out posted:

im sorry no one ever told you that you have may have some sensorineural hearing loss.

Nah my hearing's pretty great, though I guess you're trying to say I'm tone deaf in a clever way. Weird reaction to someone agreeing with you but whatever. WELCOME

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
what about diddy beats?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Bishop posted:

real question: what do studio producers really use? my impression is beats are decent for the layman but way overpriced. what do the pros buy?

Again, Sony MDRs

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

down n out posted:

never bought them, i am testing them and they suck. hard. a $60 pair of AKGs would be a better investment.

Look out we got an audiophile here...

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Quickscope420dad posted:

Nah my hearing's pretty great, though I guess you're trying to say I'm tone deaf in a clever way. Weird reaction to someone agreeing with you but whatever. WELCOME

Quick trigger, 420dad knows what's up.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

down n out posted:

Quick trigger, 420dad knows what's up.

you can't combine 420 and fatherhood without being on top of your game

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah OP i feel you.

these actually are surprisingly good, but not exactly that detailed, are they?

just avoid the chinese knockoffs on ebay that fall apart instantly

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
wish i was a black dude so i could wear headphones like this..hate walkman head

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Time for some of this toddlers to grow up and just imagine the music in their head. Guess what? Saves on batteries, and you actually use your mind. Read n word. Read.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Bose QC15s are arguably the best headphones I've ever used

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
because girls aren't interested in your spergy rant about headphones, op. not too surprised goons are incapable of understanding why brands are appealing though

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Quickscope420dad posted:

Again, Sony MDRs

yeah the irony is even doctor dre wears sonys when in studio

talk about not eating you are own (snoop) dog food

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

because girls aren't interested in your spergy rant about headphones, op. not too surprised goons are incapable of understanding why brands are appealing though

I've got some gucci™ pheremones for ya that will knock em dead, bra.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Beats are actually good, if not slightly overpriced, headphones.

People who rage against them because they're popular are lol.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Necros posted:

if you think dre actually uses them or any pair in the studio that cost under a grand though then lol.

dr dre hasn't actually worked on music in probably 20 years. he just buys tracks from other producers and releases them under his name

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Beats are actually good, if not slightly overpriced, headphones.

People who rage against them because they're popular are lol.

They literally cost $14 to make.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

down n out posted:

They literally cost $14 to make.

doesn't stop them from being popular sorry nobody cares about your Casio XIL-D 3012 with the gold plated connector pins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I bought some of the Chinese ones for like $6 and they weren't very good, I blame Capitalism

• Locked thread