Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pyroary
Apr 29, 2014

Official Website --- Steam page --- GoG page

What is Unrest?
Unrest is a 2D adventure RPG focused on story and choices. Play as five ordinary people who are struggling to get by in the in the famine-stricken city-state of Bhimra.
Basically, imagine Planescape Torment, but with less combat, more agency, and a hell of a lot more reactivity to your choices, set in ancient, fantasy India.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzRExDkRAA

Reviews
IndieGames.com --- Edge --- Softpedia --- Big List here

Full disclosure
I'm the programmer of this game. I've been lurking here since forever, and thought it would be interesting to see if anyone was playing the game. I hope that's not a problem, would love to hear what you think of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyroary
Apr 29, 2014

Karpaw posted:

It's certainly novel but the narrative is all over the place. First you're a princess for all of two conversations. Then you're suddenly a giant snake meeting with her family. Then you're a farm girl removed from all that. Does the player perspective shift this rapidly and jarringly through the whole game?

What you described was pretty much the opening hour. After this, the chapters are a bit longer - though the perspective will change a few times after this too.

pyroary
Apr 29, 2014

Old Thrashbarg posted:

I bought this after playing and enjoying the demo. I've just started, and I'm past the first two sections and on to the village girl section.

I do have two concerns so far:
* It's not clear what sorts of dialogue options get what responses. Characters seem to arbitrarily like or dislike me, and I can't really determine why. For reference, Alpha Protocol relies on giving the player "character dossiers" beforehand so there's some basis to make choices. I'm hoping that something like this emerges later on.
* I'm not sure that the game will react to my choices all that much. The Walking Dead became much less enjoyable for me once I realized how insignificant pretty much all of the decisions were. I'm hoping Unrest doesn't follow the same path!

That said, the game has lots of promise too. I particularly like the writing and the realistic tone. Looking forward to digging deeper.

There are journal entries for most of the important characters in the game, which give you a brief summary of a character.
I will say that there are definitely more branches to the plot than TWD ;)

Looking forward to hearing more!

pyroary
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. I am looking into ways to improve the ending sequence (and to be honest, a lot of the abruptness was down to me not having enough money to afford adding more stuff). That isn't an excuse though, so I hope this game does well enough to let me do that soon.

• Locked thread