Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Does anyone know if the film's portrayal of freelance news videographers is realistic in any way? If so, I'd love to watch a documentary about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hatter106 posted:

Does anyone know if the film's portrayal of freelance news videographers is realistic in any way? If so, I'd love to watch a documentary about it...

I remember watching an episode of Cops where they talked about this job months before this came out (which I then thought would be a great idea for a movie) though IIRC they had a nicer name for them than Nightcrawlers. I would also be interested if anyone knows of a documentary or anything like that.

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Saw this a couple weeks ago, favorite movie of the year blah blah blah.

Watching the trailer again, I would venture to guess that there were direct to camera monologues for Lou that got scrapped in the edit.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Just finished seeing this movie, and I can't really add any thoughts not already said so far. It was quite thrilling, and probably the best film I've seen all year. Was anyone else reminded of There Will Be Blood in a way? I mean, he had an assistant of sorts that he worked with throughout who was quite changed by the end just like him. It seemed to me that he was further delving into his madness as the movie went on, and he seemingly got away with murder in the end. It was very noticeable how his humanity was slipping away the more he pursued his job, which is always a great recipe for a fascinating story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Loved it! My movie of the year until I see what Inherent Vice is bringing.
it's like Network meets Drive meets American Psycho
Jake G turns into ghoul jared leto, what more can you ask for!?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 21, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I remember watching an episode of Cops where they talked about this job months before this came out (which I then thought would be a great idea for a movie) though IIRC they had a nicer name for them than Nightcrawlers. I would also be interested if anyone knows of a documentary or anything like that.

If I remember correctly, they don't actually call them Nightcrawlers in the film, but "stringers."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Stringer is a pretty generic term for any freelancer.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
They're called Nightcrawlers at least once. Maybe twice.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Loved this, second-favorite of the year so far after Under the Skin. Most of what I wanted to mention has already been touched on, but I loved that, after he's released from the police station at the end, Lou walks across the street and you see the HOLLYWOOD sign way off in the distance.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
What Lou Bloom does is this movie is not atypical for even full-time TV news reporters. A lot of your job consists of sitting at a desk, listening to the scanner and waiting for all hell to break loose somewhere.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I was really impressed with the guy who did Rick, I think he spot on nailed a lot of the mannerisms/speech patterns/quirks I see in a lot of my stoner/burnout friends.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 21, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That would be Riz Ahmed, of Four Lions fame.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rick is basically the anthropomorphic personification of southern California.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would be Riz Ahmed, of Four Lions fame.

I knew he looked familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen him before.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

tofes posted:

Felt more like if Ace in the Hole and Collateral had a baby

This movie reminds me of The Cable Guy more than anything. Loved them both too.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
For a second I thought that was the jousting scene from The Cable Guy on his TV.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Young Freud posted:

He... and sounds like Daniel Lugo from Pain & Gain. :stare:

Reaching way back, but I think that this film is to some extent a conscious follow-up to Pain & Gain, presenting a much more cynical and pessimistic view.

Bloom is a lot like Lugo in how he spews vacuous management theory and self-help garbage, but he's aware it's garbage in a way that Lugo isn't. Compare the line of "fear is just false expectations appearing real." Even when Lugo is manipulating Doyle, it still represents something he's internalized from Johnny Wu. For Bloom, on the other hand, it's entirely a way to manipulate Rick. The comparison extends beyond just that one piece, though; Bloom's Lugo-ness also comes through in the first scene where he sees the watch and immediately must have it. Both pontificate, and both absorb information from the shadiest sources (Lugo from motivational speakers and Bloom from "the internet."

There are two things that make me think that Nightcrawler is consciously a response to Pain and Gain. First is the end of the plot: Even though the detectives figure everything out, Bloom gets away with it (unlike Lugo) because the sorts of people that Bloom represents really have gotten away with it. This reads much stronger in light of the second point, about the music: the theme (or there is a theme that) is so heavily based off of Jablonski's I Believe in Fitness. It plays often in the first half of the film, mostly, if I remember correctly, after some success for Bloom. It disappears when the film starts to get much darker, leaving Pain & Gain behind. At the end, when Bloom walks out of the police station, a new version of the theme plays. This time it's distorted and darker, which I think sums up this film's relation to Pain & Gain.

Sort of contributing, as well, is that I think there's a visual nod or two to Michael Bay like the 360 pan of the car during the chase towards the end.

On a completely different note, I think that everything about Rick's character was absolutely perfect. Both how he was characterized and how he was used.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

he only recites the "Lottery ticket" line once in the final movie

I recall him saying it at least twice when I saw it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Loved Gyllenhaal in this. I'm pleasantly surprised at the range he's shown just within the past year and he's become a favorite of mine lately, between this and Enemy. Looks like I really need to see Prisoner now.

One thing I loved about it was that little smirk he's got on his face almost the WHOLE FILM. Any time he's interacting with someone - it's not quite a smirk but a half-smile, almost like he's forcing it but you're also not sure if that's just the character's natural expression. It's a brilliant touch on his part.

I love how he's summed up in the conversation with Rick in the car outside the Chinese restaurant: It's not that he doesn't get people, he just doesn't like them. It's a nice touch to a character I couldn't look away from, even when he was so creepy that I wanted to. I hope he gets some award nods for this role, at least nominations.

InterrupterJones posted:

Was anyone else reminded of There Will Be Blood in a way?

Mainly in the sense that it was a character study of a selfish and sociopathic entrepreneur, but yeah I got that vibe too.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 1, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

That scene at the end where he's being interviewed by the policewoman was an oddly comedic way of ending a disturbing film, and made me appreciate the whole thing a lot more. The way he delivered the lines, "He died doing what he loved" and "I like to say that if you're seeing me you're having the worst day of your life" before looking up at the camera was hilarious.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

I remember there used to be two literal ambulance chasers in my neighborhood who would photograph crime/accident/fire scenes, I assume they sold photos to newspapers. They were weirdo creeps too.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Loved Gyllenhaal in this. I'm pleasantly surprised at the range he's shown just within the past year and he's become a favorite of mine lately, between this and Enemy. Looks like I really need to see Prisoner now.

See it! Prisoners is a great movie. It resonated with me for a long time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Paiz posted:

See it! Prisoners is a great movie. It resonated with me for a long time.

Seconding this, Prisoners is great. The scene where you finally see Paul Dano's character after Hugh Jackman has been beating him for a few days was one of the best shocks I've experienced in a theater since Standard getting shot in Drive.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Seconding this, Prisoners is great. The scene where you finally see Paul Dano's character after Hugh Jackman has been beating him for a few days was one of the best shocks I've experienced in a theater since Standard getting shot in Drive.

A-loving-men. Easily one of the best movies of the year and I can't think of a single person I wouldn't recommend it to.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

And it takes on a horrifying new angle when you watch it a second time knowing everything going in. I had forgotten how horrifically Jackman had beaten an innocent kidnapping victim so I almost threw up when his injuries were revealed.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wow this movie was nerve wracking and me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Reason posted:

Wow this movie was nerve wracking and me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I'm glad you liked the movie, Bizarro Superman.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Echoing what others have said that this was a fantastic vampire film.

JG's gaunt look, pasty skin, sunglasses, only coming out at night, and his thirst for blood were all great nods.

Such a haunting performance as well, JG's been knocking every movie he's been in over the last couple years out of the park...

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I just saw the movie, this isn't a complaint, but when I lived near LA in the 80's, the weirdest thing about driving city streets there, was that people would step out right in front of you in crosswalks -- even if the light was green and the speed limit was 45.

I guess they don't do that anymore, or else he would have mowed down 10 people a night?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I just saw the movie, this isn't a complaint, but when I lived near LA in the 80's, the weirdest thing about driving city streets there, was that people would step out right in front of you in crosswalks -- even if the light was green and the speed limit was 45.

I guess they don't do that anymore, or else he would have mowed down 10 people a night?

Maybe he did :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I live there now. People do this regularly still.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I mean, I see those from time to time at night, just not constantly depending on what parts and how late. It didn't seem beyond belief.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just caught this tonight, really enjoyed it. Going off the trailer, I really thought the movie would end with some sort of murder-suicide..

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Finally saw this today and, wow, I regret delaying it so long. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I should have gone when it first came out, just after I'd seen Gone Girl. A lot of similarities between Affleck and Gyllenhaal here, at least in terms of creepiness.

Echoing most of what's already been discussed, but I really loved the attention to detail on the little things, like Lou/Louis and such. Definitely in the top 3 of best movies I've seen this year.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

This pretty much happens anywhere where jaywalking isn't really enforced, with is everywhere. Nobody's getting punished for it, most drivers aren't homicidal maniacs who'd mow someone down in their car, so pedestrians just become inconsiderate shitheads.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Something I just thought of is that, because of the trailer, I totally thought he was gonna commit a major crime himself to be the first on the scene and get the great shot. Not like what he did to the van, but actually break into someone's house and poo poo, and not just get lucky that a scene happened to be near where they were. The diner scene and subsequent chase scared the hell out of me, though.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Something subtle that I enjoyed were the ever-present signs and billboards constantly ordering Bloom as he drives through the night. The shots focusing on the classic car dealership and the ATMs made obvious statements, but throughout the movie there are giant signs saying things like CHASE and FOCUS as he rushes to his next crime scene. There's a connection between his relentless motivation and productivity and the way he is bombarded with commercial stimulation in a way most people take for granted.

Hatter106 posted:

Vice has a documentary about the street photographers for Alarma! , a notorious Mexican tabloid that catalogues as many violent gory deaths as they can find. There's a similar disconnect between the attitudes of the publishers and the seediness of their profession. Video is :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0GD8KIi1A

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

goodog posted:

Something subtle that I enjoyed were the ever-present signs and billboards constantly ordering Bloom as he drives through the night. The shots focusing on the classic car dealership and the ATMs made obvious statements, but throughout the movie there are giant signs saying things like CHASE and FOCUS as he rushes to his next crime scene. There's a connection between his relentless motivation and productivity and the way he is bombarded with commercial stimulation in a way most people take for granted.

The movie opens on an empty billboard and ends with Metro PCS, I believe. In the scene where he first observes the highway wreck, Raytheon, the defense contractor, is very prominent in the background.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

goodog posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The movie opens on an empty billboard and ends with Metro PCS, I believe. In the scene where he first observes the highway wreck, Raytheon, the defense contractor, is very prominent in the background.

These are some good insights, and I'd love to see stills of these shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In context, the line "A friend is a gift you give yourself" was one of the most hilariously hosed up things in the movie. It was the perfect culmination of him taking meaningless one-liners and extrapolating them in insane ways.

• Locked thread