Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This game is all over the loving place. :psyduck:

The endless tutorials really didn't need to be there, and the driving for the first hour or so of the game was terrible. It just felt so amateur in every way, with Yodzilla's example of the Zoe head being the worst for me.

Then I decided to say gently caress it, and left Detroit for Seattle, and suddenly the game got 1000% better. I picked up a Dirt car which made the handling feel like other driving games, and used that to get me across the Mountains. I eventually picked up a Perf car, and fiddled with the controls like Extra suggested, and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Going from Midwestern Plains to Snowy Mountains to whatever the West Coast is actually felt kind of neat.

If the story can be suitably dumb in a Fast and Furious style way, and it makes use of all it's major cities properly, I could see it being worth the asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The hell'd you get a Perf car?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So yeah drifting down the twisties of Pike's Peak is the best thing ever just letting everybody know.

Also finding challenges for L10 parts is quite the scavenger hunt :argh:

Just giving a quick list of highlights / stuff I enjoy in this game:

- In car views are very detailed, the driver looking into the turn is a great feature. Freelook with the mouse is pretty rad too.
- Freeroam mechanics blow Fuel out of the water, Crew's game world is nothing short of the word massive and with the proper control setup the game strikes a fun sim/arcade balance similar to Codemasters games.
- Huge variety in road types and conditions
- Random challenges, scavenger hunts for kit car parts and satellites are pretty fun and break up the monotony.
- Many challenges can be overcome with skill even with lack of parts.
- Open world challenges award parts in addition to missions.
- High penalties for going off road and hitting doodads/curbs in street/perf cars. Driving sloppily or pushing the car has big risks and that's neat.

Some issues I have:

- Parts earned with one car cannot be transferred to another or between car types. (For instance earning a L10 part on a offroad hill climb with my dirt 370z cannot be transferred to my street 370z. The S370z stands no chance of gold on said challenge)
- Missions far outweigh freeroam activities for experience earned. Being pigeon holed into doing missions to get proper EXP is dumb.
- Certain pieces of debris are made of the bounciest material known to man and send your car flying.
- Cars having RPG attributes and progression. I have no problem with actual vehicle tuning (not featured in this game) but just getting better parts as one progresses does not encourage multiplayer interactions as players will not be on a level playing field.
- Can't disable film grain
- Mirrors don't work

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 28, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Rookersh posted:

Then I decided to say gently caress it, and left Detroit for Seattle, and suddenly the game got 1000% better. I picked up a Dirt car which made the handling feel like other driving games, and used that to get me across the Mountains. I eventually picked up a Perf car, and fiddled with the controls like Extra suggested, and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Going from Midwestern Plains to Snowy Mountains to whatever the West Coast is actually felt kind of neat.

Driving through the Rockies in a full crew convoy is great, but like Orv said, how did you get a Perf car?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaddion posted:

Driving through the Rockies in a full crew convoy is great, but like Orv said, how did you get a Perf car?

Apparently the Perf shop in Seattle is open? We'll have to check that when you get home.

Extra posted:

Some issues I have:

- Parts earned with one car cannot be transferred to another or between car types. (For instance earning a L10 part on a offroad hill climb with my dirt 370z cannot be transferred to my street 370z. The S370z stands no chance of gold on said challenge)

Something to note is that once you earn a part for a spec, you can buy it for any other car from the appropriate spec shop. That doesn't make the skill games any less poo poo though.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 28, 2014

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

It seems like they tightened up the handling a bit from the last beta. Not sure if I got used to it, but the driving doesn't feel as lovely as before. It's still bad though and I was surprised that the same devs that made TDU2 made this, I liked the handling in that game. I'm also pretty concerned you're not able to remap up and down shifting at this stage in the beta. Seems like such a basic thing to have done and yet it's locked.

It's a shame though, I really like everything about this game, but the handling is so bad it's keeping me from buying this on day 1. Especially since Forza Horizon 2 is coming out in a month and will most likely be the better open world racing game with trashy techno music and a terrible plot.

Oh well, there's always steam sales where you can pick this up for 75% off.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There's very few things as satisfying as watching someone totally trash their mustang by understeering into a wall of trees trying to catch you on the final turn of a dirt race. We were battling it out the entire race too.

I'd really like to see more endurance racing though, I'm decent at 2-4 lap sprints but never been a fan of them.

Lyer posted:

I'm also pretty concerned you're not able to remap up and down shifting at this stage in the beta.

That's weird one of the first things I did was rebind mine from the paddle shifters to the shift knob on my wheel.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 28, 2014

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You can't remap shifting if you're using a gamepad. Which makes it really bizarre that you can on the wheel.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I am playing with a 360 controller and having a blast, but I also never play racing/driving games. I could see how it would be disliked if I was big into the genre, but I am having a lot of fun.

Edit: Considering it is coming out on consoles they might have designed the controls with gamepads in mind if they expect it to sell better on consoles.

I've been using a gamepad so far, and I've already said enough about how the handling feels.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Excuse me a moment...

:flashfap:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Those hotrods are enormous fun.

Here is an image guide for the street spec one.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Extra posted:

I think I know what one you're talking about, the one that rewards a differential? I was able to get a gold on it with a street Skyline by getting a ton of speed off another hill first, but not a street Mustang using the same trick. Nor can I get the l10 weight reduction with either of my dirt cars.

Parts can't be transferred, but if you earn a part with a certain spec, you can then buy a copy of that part for the same spec but different car in the tuner.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The intense segregation of car parts makes sense when you consider that Ubisoft already announced they're "letting" people pay to skip the grind, of course. :v:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
They're like, 1-2 thousand for a gold level 10 part. You make around 4 thousand for not even finishing a pvp race (or if you're Kadd, 9 thousand for dicking around :argh:). I really don't think the parts are going to be the problem. Car prices, maybe.

edit: Also with car prices, you can spend perk points to reduce the cost up to 30%, with enough points being available in the beta to get it to 27% off. This decrease in cost is way more than the $100 per point it costs to respec, so it seems worth it to always respec into car discount when going to buy a car, buy the car, then spec back into more money for missions.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 28, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
hosed around with Orv and Kaddion in their super rad hot rods earlier this morning and it was mad fun sliding down the mountain passes and having random rolling drag races. I just can't get over how shite the beginning of this game is compared to when you actually get away from the missions and the cities. The Crew for it's flaws is far and away the best car game ever made in terms of free roam capability. It becomes easy to ignore the missions and progression because when it comes down to it the point of the game is just to grab a bunch of cars and gently caress around having pick-up races with pals. That or find random pubs and pretend you're playing Mad Max 2: The Video Game.

There's a ton of potential for create your own fun, I just hope Ubi realizes that we need more than 4 people around in an instance. I'd like to see players able to make their own live instance with 16 or so players. Being able or organize larger scale organized races, road rallies, scavenger hunts, and other driving events are what would really take this game to the next level. Especially if they want to sell DLC. I read an article stating groups of up to 8 people but the UI seemed to indicate only 4.

I didn't see any issues when our group of 3 encountered random players so I'm not sure why they've decided to limit group sizes so heavily.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 28, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just want this game to allow me to crash. There's some weird Gran Turismo 1 poo poo going on where at a certain point your car starts fighting against physics and it starts wobbling in the air as it refuses to flip over. That and why does going into a flatspin instantly mean "crash"? I could have landed that poo poo!

Gameplay question though, do you ever need to repair? I feel like the game auto-repairs goddamn constantly for a number of reasons, I don't get why that's in there as a gameplay mechanic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

hosed around with Orv and Kaddion in their super rad hot rods earlier this morning and it was mad fun sliding down the mountain passes and having random rolling drag races. I just can't get over how shite the beginning of this game is compared to when you actually get away from the missions and the cities. The Crew for it's flaws is far and away the best car game ever made in terms of free roam capability. It becomes easy to ignore the missions and progression because when it comes down to it the point of the game is just to grab a bunch of cars and gently caress around having pick-up races with pals. That or find random pubs and pretend you're playing Mad Max 2: The Video Game.

There's a ton of potential for create your own fun, I just hope Ubi realizes that we need more than 4 people around in an instance. I'd like to see players able to make their own live instance with 16 or so players. Being able or organize larger scale organized races, road rallies, scavenger hunts, and other driving events are what would really take this game to the next level. Especially if they want to sell DLC. I read an article stating groups of up to 8 people but the UI seemed to indicate only 4.

I didn't see any issues when our group of 3 encountered random players so I'm not sure why they've decided to limit group sizes so heavily.
If they make a sequel where the cars handle well, and there's a nicely linear progression in driving quirks, I'll buy it, no questions asked.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I just want this game to allow me to crash. There's some weird Gran Turismo 1 poo poo going on where at a certain point your car starts fighting against physics and it starts wobbling in the air as it refuses to flip over. That and why does going into a flatspin instantly mean "crash"? I could have landed that poo poo!

Gameplay question though, do you ever need to repair? I feel like the game auto-repairs goddamn constantly for a number of reasons, I don't get why that's in there as a gameplay mechanic.

If you take enough damage while it's in Terminator mode, it'll become permanent damage. Once you take enough it'll start impacting car performance, mostly top speed and braking, but never terribly importantly.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Holy hell Zoe's in-game talking head is a goddamn nightmare. If you don't want to do custom lip-syncing for each line of dialog and you have no idea how to do it well procedurally maybe you shouldn't do it at all!

She had bright red eyes in my game for some reason, too.

This thing is pretty buggy, but I guess its a beta. If you go into 'demo car' mode when buying your first car and open all the doors, your guy will drive it out with the doors open. Then if you go to the mod shop, try all the options then leave, you're driving 4 wheels and an engine block for a little while.

Try parking on the corner of train tracks and waiting for the train if you want a shortcut across half of the map :shepface:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

StabMasterArson posted:

Try parking on the corner of train tracks and waiting for the train if you want a shortcut across half of the map :shepface:

Sounds like a feature to me. :colbert:

Also this game handles alt-tabbing and multiple monitors really goddamn poorly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it freaks the gently caress out and never goes back to full screen, sometimes it goes full res but at the bottom of the main monitor and in the middle of the two, and sometimes it goes back fullscreen on the other monitor. The latter is kinda hilarious because for me that one is vertical.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I think I know what one you're talking about, the one that rewards a differential? I was able to get a gold on it with a street Skyline by getting a ton of speed off another hill first, but not a street Mustang using the same trick. Nor can I get the l10 weight reduction with either of my dirt cars.

Parts can't be transferred, but if you earn a part with a certain spec, you can then buy a copy of that part for the same spec but different car in the tuner.

Yeah that differential mission is an absolute slog for any RWD vehicle. Thankfully a mildly upgraded Focus RS with WOT in 3rd gear and creative use of boost will muscle its way up the hill for the gold ranking.

Also whichever jackass added random offroad sections over curbs to the level 10 ECU challenge can go gently caress themselves. Unless you were lucky enough to buy a car that can handle the bumps some street cars bounce over those sections like a pogo stick.

My sock runneth over

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 28, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

They're like, 1-2 thousand for a gold level 10 part. You make around 4 thousand for not even finishing a pvp race (or if you're Kadd, 9 thousand for dicking around :argh:).

:smug:

No idea how to replicate it though. hosed up by traffic, went gently caress it to the rest of the race and drove to the finish line to wait for Marund to win.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This is so much better with wheel and pedals properly tuned.

I'd still rather have a realtime realsize Paris-Dakar rally game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Man, I really want to like this game. Like, it's clear that they put a lot of care into it and the cutscenes are pretty polished and I love the idea of being able to drive cross country and the infrastructure is cool...and the problem is that the actual driving part of the game just feels like hot garbage. Like the one most critical thing in a driving game is having the driving feel really good and fun, and this is just me fighting to try and like it and not getting there. I can't see myself putting much time into this game if everything handles like this. Maybe some of the upgraded cars are better. I'm past the prologue (which is REALLY ROUGH) and got my own car and test drove all four and got it street tuned and all, and it's almost okay...but still feels like it has a long way to go to be actually fun.

MrLonghair posted:

This is so much better with wheel and pedals properly tuned.

I'd still rather have a realtime realsize Paris-Dakar rally game.

If anyone has some suggested tuning settings for a G27, I'd love them. It's weird because they clearly contemplated this wheel, I thought it was cool that they had specific button prompts in-game designed for G27 support, so I would think they'd have tuned settings for it automatically as best as possible, but I'd certainly appreciate better ones.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

StarkRavingMad posted:

If anyone has some suggested tuning settings for a G27, I'd love them.

Did you try these?

Extra posted:

Switch into sport or hardcore assist mode and use the settings below.

Wheel users should also change brake/throttle sensitivity to halfway

I've been winning PvP races pretty consistently with this setup. Not to mention it makes throttle control and proper drifting with the 370z possible. Also you're lucky enough you can use the G27 H pattern which means skipping gears into 2nd faster than I can sequentially downshift since there's like a 0.5s shift time in this game.

You also may want to turn down the force feedback. The problem with the FF in this game is if you turn it up enough for road use then it's hell on dirt. So I've just been coping with very little FF on roads which with this game's tendency to try to autocorrect steering for you even on hardcore it can be useful.

Overall I'm actually pretty pissed at how bad the PvP racing is designed. There's a lot of gimme on the checkpoints so memorizing how much you can miss the checkpoint by and still get credit is most of the meta on checkpoint based races. That and memorizing which pieces of debris are/aren't destructible (spoiler: they all should not be destructible). In addition many cars are objectively statistically better than others so you need the optimal car for the race to win, you can't just mod your favorite vehicle to be competitive. I have no problem that my Focus RS sucks poo poo against the R34 but if that's the case they shouldn't be in the same match together. Not to mention bashing into other racers is a perfectly viable strategy and is wildly more/less effective depending on which car you pick.

ubisoft posted:

In the Closed Beta, all the players are capped at level 10 and The Crew being an RPG, this cap means that you can’t get access to all the car parts and highest levels where your car reaches its full potential.

Whichever dumbass decided it was a good idea to have cars handle like rear end until you were able to grind better parts is an idiot. These days the 3 letters "R P G" are a big fat excuse for lovely linear progression cash shop grind fueled game mechanics.

ubisoft posted:

Regarding the gearbox, we want to allow players (in a manual mode) to switch the gears instantaneously without having any latency between each input.

That's kind of a shame since I liked realistic shift time. I'd also like to see the game require clutch a clutch input/button before shifting or else the car will refuse to go into gear.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 29, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm a little bummed that the one drag race event I participated in didn't force me to use a manual transmission. I know we're lolling about Need for Speed Underground but I loving loved that game and the drag races were goddamn intense and incredible. This was just "press go, you win." :geno:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is a pretty fun game. I went to New York and bought the Focus RS and it's so much more fun in street spec than the Camaro I had been driving before.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I've put a few hours into the beta this week and I think it's grown on me. I really wasn't feeling the handling at all all throughout the tutorial but once I got a few upgrades I started to enjoy everything a lot more. Replacing the bland radio in game with some spotify play lists and just driving across the country is pretty fun and relaxing in a euro truck simulator kinda way.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Extra posted:

My sock runneth over

Please enlighten me. I have a 136 370Z, would love it if I could break through 200.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Frank Eufemia posted:

I've put a few hours into the beta this week and I think it's grown on me. I really wasn't feeling the handling at all all throughout the tutorial but once I got a few upgrades I started to enjoy everything a lot more. Replacing the bland radio in game with some spotify play lists and just driving across the country is pretty fun and relaxing in a euro truck simulator kinda way.
Somehow the radio is worse than TDU2's and Watch Dogs.
I think the only song I like are the Power Glove ones, and that ambiance station is fine because it's hard to gently caress that up.

Also the Ski Jump is cool.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 29, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This game could really benefit from streaming radio ala Euro Truck Simulator.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inacio posted:

Please enlighten me. I have a 136 370Z, would love it if I could break through 200.

Here's a handy dandy map of all the L10 upgrades:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 29, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Extra posted:

Here's a handy dandy map of all the L10 upgrades:

Thanks! I'll try to get it all today, before the beta ends.

Absolutely loved the game, but won't be able to buy it in the near future, gotta make the best of this last day!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inacio posted:

won't be able to buy it in the near future

Same but at least I hope goons took away from my posts the impression The Crew is a very unique and awesome game despite being rough around the edges. What it lacks in story and polish it makes up for in concept execution.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I think I'll probably end up getting the game in Nov just as a cool cruising simulator. The last two need for speed games didn't really do it for me so this will hopefully fill that arcade-y driving niche for me.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Extra posted:

Same but at least I hope goons took away from my posts the impression The Crew is a very unique and awesome game despite being rough around the edges. What it lacks in story and polish it makes up for in concept execution.

In other words more or less any Ubisoft 1st gen IP release.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Found a wingman formula gt wheel at goodwill for $3 to try with this game. Pretty awesome, but the in car cam takes a bit to get used to with all the sway.

I really just wanted a freeroam driving game my daughter could play and this seems to work. She seems to like it a bit more than burnout (which doesn't work with the wheel for some reason)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If they scrapped all of the street racing and kept the off-road stuff and just made this a new Smuggler's Run it'd be about a million times better.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

for the love of god they need to allow multiple waypoints

Been playing this game a lot with friends and really enjoying it. Having 4 people doing point to point races and just crisscrossing the US 7-15 miles at a time, then resetting, and racing to the next most interesting thing is really quite fun. Some of the mountain pass roads would really benefit from allowing multiple waypoints though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

:yoshi:

Frank Eufemia posted:

Always listen to the ingame classical playlist :colbert:

• Locked thread