Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Great Joe posted:

On the other hand, it's Gran Turismo's even scrubbier little brother.

Forza is leagues better than Gran Turismo, are you high. Especially the last two GT games which were hot fuckin garbage.

I say this as someone who's been with GT since the original on PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

Forza is leagues better than Gran Turismo, are you high. Especially the last two GT games which were hot fuckin garbage.

I say this as someone who's been with GT since the original on PS1.
Even. Scrubbier. Little. Brother. :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've loved both Gran Turismo and Forza but there's something about the presentation in both of those series' recent games that just puts me to sleep. It's like they've both decided to become more and more sterile over the years and it's baffling to me as to why.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I've loved both Gran Turismo and Forza but there's something about the presentation in both of those series' recent games that just puts me to sleep. It's like they've both decided to become more and more sterile over the years and it's baffling to me as to why.
Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ehtTdzOT8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13k8rvL1BMk

I think you may be right

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Anyone finding it weird how this has 300+ positive ratings on steam but everyone seems to agree that the beta was really bad?

Considering I don't own a Xbox one, I was wishing for The Crew to cover my need for a open world racing game but this really doesn't look like it will be any good.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Considering I haven't played a racing game since Daytona in the arcades of the early 2000's what are the must have racing games out there?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Anyone finding it weird how this has 300+ positive ratings on steam but everyone seems to agree that the beta was really bad?

Considering I don't own a Xbox one, I was wishing for The Crew to cover my need for a open world racing game but this really doesn't look like it will be any good.

The beta was actually really fun; goons are whinners.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Great Joe posted:

Even. Scrubbier. Little. Brother. :colbert:

Nah, Forza Owns, GT is shitballs terrible, sorry that you're wrong.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Great Joe posted:

Hmmm...

I think you may be right

Haha I'm almost certain that the American version of GT2 didn't have that Fatboy Slim song for whatever reason.

But honestly GT6 was the first of the series I've ever skipped because
1) My PS3 was stolen
2) GT5 was loving terrible

But seriuosly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjfnmtAYCH8
It's like I'm racing through The Weather Channel.

e: all racing games need custom streaming stations ala Euro Truck Simulator 2

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yodzilla posted:

Haha I'm almost certain that the American version of GT2 didn't have that Fatboy Slim song for whatever reason.

But honestly GT6 was the first of the series I've ever skipped because
1) My PS3 was stolen
2) GT5 was loving terrible

GT6 fixed some of what made GT5 terrible but then they decided to make the handling characteristics of mid-engined cars absolutely loving horrendous and nothing at all like what they should actually drive like. Considering my dream car is the Lotus Elise, that was kind of a deal breaker.

Also GT2 is a more fun experience than GT5 or GT6. Red Rock Valley :getin:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nissir posted:

Considering I haven't played a racing game since Daytona in the arcades of the early 2000's what are the must have racing games out there?
Burnout 2, Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, Burnout Paradise, Split/Second, Blur, every single Wipeout that isn't Fusion, RollCage, Ridge Racer Type 4, Trackmania United Forever, Nitronic Rush (which is free, btw) aaaaaaaaaaaaaand probably the Project Gotham Racing series, I never tried those but I heard good things.

Cubey posted:

Nah, Forza Owns, GT is shitballs terrible, sorry that you're wrong.
They're both terrible, unimaginative garbage.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Great Joe posted:

They're both terrible, unimaginative garbage.

Nah, Forza owns, sorry that you're wrong.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gran turismo is REAL GOOD, forza is REAL BAD

gran turismo is REAL GOOD because:
- cars
- handling
- music
- skylines

forza is REAL BAD because
- cars
- handling
- music
- not enough skylines

if you disagree, you are WRONG and REAL BAD as well, anyways thank you for listening

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

One thing I do know for certain, and I think everyone will agree, I'd rather play Forza 5 than The Crew.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Haven't played around with it much but it seems like the latest beta runs a bit better at the cost of even more aliasing? Might just be me also playing GTA V influencing how I perceive the game.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

gran turismo is REAL GOOD, forza is REAL BAD

gran turismo is REAL GOOD because:
- cars
- handling
- music
- skylines

forza is REAL BAD because
- cars
- handling
- music
- not enough skylines

if you disagree, you are WRONG and REAL BAD as well, anyways thank you for listening

Sorry, but both of them suck because neither of them is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Sorry, but both of them suck because neither of them is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
This, but unironically.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't being ironic. :colbert:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The crew would be a really fun racing game, were it not for the incredibly lovely handing. GTA V at this point is the better open world racing game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lyer posted:

The crew would be a really fun racing game, were it not for the incredibly lovely handing. GTA V at this point is the better open world racing game.
That's really the sticker. A racing game literally lives or dies on its handling and Ubisoft decided that rather than let Reflections work the same magic they did with Driver San Francisco, they could just re-use whatever half-assery they'd made for Watch_Dogs.

Robo Reagan posted:

I wasn't being ironic. :colbert:
Oh. Sorry. :( We cool? We cool.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BobbyBaudoin posted:

It is weird. The disappointing Crew pc beta (as well as driveclub) last month is actually the reason I own an xbone now. Got really homesick for forza after all these ultra disappointing racing games (GRID 2, GRid autosport, the crew, etc). I'm genuinely shocked now to see the crew has a positive rating on steam. The user reviews actually make the game sound good too, but I've played it in two different betas now and still can't find anything redeeming about the game over FH2 except for world having cops, and in that case, it's still not as fun as GTA. :shrug: Yeah that handling is GOD awful. That plot too, seemed really... awful. The only other racing game coming out for pc (and xbone/ps4) can think of is Project Cars, but that's a track racer, not open world, but it looks really promising for pc racers.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Something weird happened today that kinda makes sense in the real world but not really in a videogame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CfTlNSHyc&hd=1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welcome to The Crew's completely poo poo and arbitrary physics and collision engine just like every other Eden Games title.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ethanol posted:

The only other racing game coming out for pc (and xbone/ps4) can think of is Project Cars, but that's a track racer, not open world, but it looks really promising for pc racers.
Distance isn't open world, but it is pretty good, and it's coming out of private beta pretty soon. Maybe check it out? :)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Distance isn't open world, but it is pretty good, and it's coming out of private beta pretty soon. Maybe check it out? :)
Is that the Nitronic Rush 2.0 game?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Is that the Nitronic Rush 2.0 game?
It is. I kinda really love both games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AFXGzrhrs
(:swoon:)

Weirdest thing is, even without the rocket boosters, the jump button, the wallrides and the wings, the one car in Distance still feels more fun to drive than the cars in The Crew. Hell, the A-Team van in Nitronic Rush feels more fun to drive.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'm a sucker for extensive car customization, I got a lot out of ProStreet and Carbon so this looks interesting, but I dunno about the rest of it.

This game seems less to have appeal on racing and more on just...chilling out and driving around. We'll see when it comes out.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

This game seems less to have appeal on racing and more on just...chilling out and driving around.
You say that, but then there's random gates spread around the interstate that force you into challenges like slaloms and top speed, which then have no obvious way out of them that isn't just completing them. Instead of then just giving you a quick overlay with your final score while you keep driving, there's a score screen that takes you out of the driver's seat until you press through it.

I'm not sure if you can opt out of those, either. Real shame.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

You say that, but then there's random gates spread around the interstate that force you into challenges like slaloms and top speed, which then have no obvious way out of them that isn't just completing them. Instead of then just giving you a quick overlay with your final score while you keep driving, there's a score screen that takes you out of the driver's seat until you press through it.

I'm not sure if you can opt out of those, either. Real shame.

You can do a little thing to immediately exit them, which is doable during driving without stopping to do it. Still a pain in the rear end.

E: It's something like Start, dpad up, A, A.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man, i'm seeing lots of hate for the handling. I played the PC Beta in August and thought the handling was great v:shobon:v

Is there gonna be a Goon crew for this? I'm on U-Play as T1gg4h if anyone wants to get together and gently caress around when this releases Tuesday.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like the handling more than most, tho I wouldn't call it great, but the visuals combined with the poor performance on PS4 make this a game I won't be getting at launch. The fact that there's microtransactions doesn't help matters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Man, i'm seeing lots of hate for the handling. I played the PC Beta in August and thought the handling was great v:shobon:v

Is there gonna be a Goon crew for this? I'm on U-Play as T1gg4h if anyone wants to get together and gently caress around when this releases Tuesday.

There's four of us getting it on PC so you're welcome to hang out with us, though the party limit is 4 because ??? so you'll have to play ugly duckling.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Orv posted:

There's four of us getting it on PC so you're welcome to hang out with us, though the party limit is 4 because ??? so you'll have to play ugly duckling.

Fair enough, I'm used to being the odd man out in multi :v:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Curious if the raptor is still the fastest vehicle up pikes peak at launch cuz :laffo:

T1g4h posted:

Fair enough, I'm used to being the odd man out in multi :v:

The multiplayer location indicators and syncing was really horrible during the PC beta and knowing Ubi they haven't done anything to fix it. Slather on the progression, feature list, and marketing while completely ignoring the core multiplayer networking polish and gameplay physics are hallmarks of ubi. People still buy the games so it's not surprising they keep doing it.

Like I'm not sure you'll even be able to get in the same instance as people if you aren't in their group because Ubi refuses to let you select instances like any normal open world driving game. In Drift City people would just join on the same instance number and race there. It was super easy and worked super well.

It just seems like buying The Crew is sort of telling Ubi they can do some really dumb bad amateur things as long as they kinda make an OK game. The reviews on steam are a crock of poo poo. 4 person MP isn't an MMO and the game play polish just isn't there. The gaping flaws are masked behind a ton of vehicle rice parts and grinding.

Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, and Next Car Game are far more deserving of people's hard earned cash but at the end of the day you can't drive around an open world with 3 other people in those games.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 29, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Next Car Game is debatable right now. The handling is still bug gently caress awful, it needs serious optimization work, and it's overall pretty eh. I uninstalled it after they redid the entire engine and made every car feel like it weighs 50 tons, maybe once they release it and polish it a bit more I can actually recommend it again.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Next Car Game is debatable right now. The handling is still bug gently caress awful, it needs serious optimization work, and it's overall pretty eh.
Same could be said of The Crew. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Same could be said of The Crew. :v:

Go back to your shark tank Joe.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You've got it all wrong, Orv.

This is the shark tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry you're right, you haven't been laughed out of this one yet.

• Locked thread