Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I think that's one of the preorder ones right? All of them, like the Z4 and MiniCooper, are like that, barely any options. The versions you can buy in-game are way more open. I have a lot of options for my Mustang, and the '15 Fastback you can buy seems to have multiple options for specs.

Yeah, that's the one. I figured it was some sort of special edition goofiness going on. The only real disappointment I have so far is that I can't put Dirt spec on my MP4-12C. gently caress you, game, I want to make a rallytastic supercar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Slate Action posted:

So, just to be clear, those little challenges that automatically start as you're driving around can be toggled off, right?

Turn off World Spots in the UI list.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I figured it was some sort of special edition goofiness going on. The only real disappointment I have so far is that I can't put Dirt spec on my MP4-12C. gently caress you, game, I want to make a rallytastic supercar.

Yeah I wanted to make crazy Raid spec Vipers or something, slightly disappointed there. Also might be launch issues but the server has gone down a couple timmes tonight.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So can remap buttons on a controller yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lyer posted:

So can remap buttons on a controller yet?

You always could? There are a couple unchangeable ones, but most of them can be swapped as you please.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In one of the first missions in the prologue, 'Welcome to Detroit,' the game tells me to 'set a waypoint to the race.' But when I do that, and drive to where the waypoint is, nothing happens. The game just tells me to 'set a waypoint' again, even though the map indicates I'm in the exact place the waypoint is at. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Orv posted:

You always could? There are a couple unchangeable ones, but most of them can be swapped as you please.

Not the shifting, there was in beta, but it was locked and then finally removed all together in the later stages of beta.

It's a small nitpick for most, but pretty much a deal breaker for me for buying this game at full price.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How's this running on the PS4? I'm looking for some sweet TDU2/3 Crew action but if performance is crappy.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Croccers posted:

How's this running on the PS4? I'm looking for some sweet TDU2/3 Crew action but if performance is crappy.

I'm having zero problems. Game looks and feels great.

sweatshopdaycare
Sep 26, 2005

~~~facial hare~~~

Slate Action posted:

In one of the first missions in the prologue, 'Welcome to Detroit,' the game tells me to 'set a waypoint to the race.' But when I do that, and drive to where the waypoint is, nothing happens. The game just tells me to 'set a waypoint' again, even though the map indicates I'm in the exact place the waypoint is at. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Same thing here. I want to like this game but what the hell?

Edit: quitting and reopening the game fixed it (playing on PC). As soon as I got back in, the waypoint was on the map.

sweatshopdaycare fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 3, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kaddion posted:

They did, actually.

But don't let that stop you shitposting.

No they didn't. The handling is abysmal. I knew it was likely going to be but I'm a loving idiot and I bought it anyway.

It's not shitposting saying the car handling is poo poo when the car handling in this game is absolutely poo poo, like sliding a sailboat across ice.

Best handling cars my rear end. The cars you start with are absolute poo poo and don't just handle like rear end they handle nothing like driving a car. It's like instead of having physics they elaborately faked car physics coded by a guy who had never been in a car and only had read stories about them.

Most games start with cars that handle perfectly fine and then the cars get faster and the handling tighter. This game starts with handling that is pure and unadulterated poo poo to the point that every real life person I know cancelled their preorder after trying the beta.

You have to grind away on poo poo to earn something that actually handles anywhere near like a real car instead of a cinderblock covered in vaseline.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This game is loving awesome :allears:

Also, goddamn you guys are really overreacting about the handling. It's seriously not that bad, and when you get Dirt spec you can do some amazingly fun drift chains.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
At least when I played one of the PC betas, any car past the starting three handled fine :shrug:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Slate Action posted:

Lmao I had this bug in the first beta and they still didn't fix it hahahahah

T1g4h posted:

Also, goddamn you guys are really overreacting about the handling. It's seriously not that bad, and when you get Dirt spec you can do some amazingly fun drift chains.

It's good if you enjoy the feeling of the baked in traction control and ABS fighting you at every step. Like if you slam on the brakes in this game you will just stop faster instead of flying into the armco because apparently locking your brakes is a good stopping tactic on gravel in the crew? Overall the cars feel like boats.

BitBasher posted:

like sliding a sailboat across ice.

It's not bad for cars to understeer if you go too hot into a turn but in the case of the crew it's more like cars have this really strange pendulum effect like they're all 5,000+lb full size trucks and not performance vehicles. It's almost impossible to make fine adjustments to steering and throttle because in order to let people play on keyboards and controllers they had to bake a ton of auto-steer into the game. Forget about trying to initiate weight transfers because your car already knows where it wants to go. Like there's no point in doing a feint, scandinavian flick, letting off the gas at corner entry to induce oversteer, left foot braking, heel toe shifting to stay at the proper point in the power band, etc. in the crew at all.

The easiest way you can observe the crew's poo poo handling is trying to dodge between rows of traffic. A 370z does not have the suspension of a loving Town and Country.

T1g4h posted:

Also, goddamn you guys are really overreacting about the handling. It's seriously not that bad

Don't you drive a crown vic? If so that would explain why you think this game's handling is decent because you daily drive a boat already. I don't know how someone can drive a miata and then think this game's handling is anything approaching a nice balance between arcade and sim which hundreds of online car games have achieved before it.

I'm really unsure of how in 2014 a developer manages to screw up handling in an arcade racing game when we've just about figured it out for a decade and a half now.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 3, 2014

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Man, after ACU and FC4 I'm really amazed by how well this game runs on PC. Rock-solid 60 fps on two 970s at 1440p, with everything on max and 4x TXAA. No hitching or pop-in, either. Would be nice if these people handled all Ubi PC ports.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Any Crews formed on the PS4?

E: Or is a "Crew" just a party?

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 3, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

BitBasher posted:

It's not shitposting saying the car handling is poo poo when the car handling in this game is absolutely poo poo, like sliding a sailboat across ice.

Sure, if you ignore every other post he's made in the thread.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Alright, so it seems I (and several others) have a bug where the game doesn't trigger events that are supposed to trigger when you arrive at waypoints. I don't know how to fix the issue, but it can be bypassed by selecting the event/location on the map and selecting 'Play'/'Enter.'

Other than this problem the game seems pretty fun so far.

e: problem solved, turn 'World Spot visibility' or whatever back on in the Settings and everything works as intended.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 3, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Extra posted:

Don't you drive a crown vic? If so that would explain why you think this game's handling is decent because you daily drive a boat already. I don't know how someone can drive a miata and then think this game's handling is anything approaching a nice balance between arcade and sim which hundreds of online car games have achieved before it.

I'm really unsure of how in 2014 a developer manages to screw up handling in an arcade racing game when we've just about figured it out for a decade and a half now.

I think the game's handling is decent because it's fun. My daily driver has nothing to do with it dude, i've driven a Vic, a Focus, and a couple of trucks. None of which handled alike. Seriously, I genuinely like the handling in this game. And this is coming from someone who thought Burnout Paradise is, was, and always will be one of the best racing games ever. It's really not that bad, and i'm playing on Hardcore with zero assists on a 360 pad. I'm enjoying it :shrug:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I just did a 'quick' spin around the country and it took me about two hours. Didn't get into Florida / far NE and just stuck to barreling down highways at 120+ mph. Regardless of racing potential, it'll be very easy to cruise around aimlessly for hours like I did in TDU2.

sweatshopdaycare
Sep 26, 2005

~~~facial hare~~~
I agree the default handling felt really floaty - so I set the assists to hardcore and adjusted the sliders for poo poo like steering deadzones and throttle linearity to my liking. That really helped. Then I changed the gamepad control scheme to be like Forza. Handling feels much, much better now.

Game is fun and echoing that the dirt/raid races are especially awesome. Also all the tuner-y stuff and the dumb story is bringing me back to the Need for Speed Underground 2 glory days.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Ironsolid posted:

Any Crews formed on the PS4?

E: Or is a "Crew" just a party?

Yeah, a crew is just a 2-4 person group, it's not like a guild or anything permanent.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

The last "open world" racing game I really enjoyed was NFS Most Wanted - is the handling comparable to that?

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

triple clutcher posted:

I just did a 'quick' spin around the country and it took me about two hours. Didn't get into Florida / far NE and just stuck to barreling down highways at 120+ mph. Regardless of racing potential, it'll be very easy to cruise around aimlessly for hours like I did in TDU2.

One of the best roads is to take one of the roads out north-west from Las Vegas out into the sequoias and up/down a mountain.

Wish I could recall the location name.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Kaddion posted:

One of the best roads is to take one of the roads out north-west from Las Vegas out into the sequoias and up/down a mountain.

Wish I could recall the location name.

Seconding this, I hit that one earlier on an LA to Vegas run and it was a blast. Another good one, if you just want a high speed cross-country cannonball, is taking the wide open plains stretch from Miama to LA. You get to see some pretty cool desert scenery and you can haul serious rear end.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
"this is a dirt spec ride. Don't let the name fool you, they are good all over."

*proceeds to do a full 360 spinout trying to take a regular turn on the road at a modest speed.*

[edit] I sure hope the rest of these raid races aren't as cheaply unfun as the first...

[editmore] Holy Bajonkers! a cop pulled in front of me (both of us going easily 80mph and he stopped (both of us) within 5 feet. This game is ridiculous.

[edit] And can pass you no matter your speed, spin you out like it was nothing...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 3, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
The mission design ranges from uninteresting to capital B Bad.

That said if you're spinning 360s by barely doing anything something is hosed on your end, control wise.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Orv posted:

The mission design ranges from uninteresting to capital B Bad.

That said if you're spinning 360s by barely doing anything something is hosed on your end, control wise.

Nah, the first turn on the dirt race car is like being on ice. Not sure what they were thinking.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Feenix posted:

Nah, the first turn on the dirt race car is like being on ice. Not sure what they were thinking.

:shrug: It wasn't all that bad for me, but yeah, dirt basically wakes up and goes "I'm gonna put this fucker into a wall". It's a poo poo spec.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo this Reppin' Detroit race in St Louis can suck all of the dicks. Why does this black muscle car have like rockets strapped to it. It can pass me at nearly double my top speed. This game is the worst.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

The last "open world" racing game I really enjoyed was NFS Most Wanted - is the handling comparable to that?
Oh man, Most Wanted was great, remember Razor Callahan? "Five grand!" what a guy :cool:

The Crew handles nothing like that game.

edit: The Crew: "It doesn't handle that bad! Just get some upgrades!"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there somekind of police in the game and if so, in what capacity?

(My secret dream is to be a power tripping rear end with a speed trap to goons)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just NPC cops equipped with magical Crown Vics that can fold space to catch you.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is the avoidance of them constant or do they appear occasionally?

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are stretches of road 'watched' by the cops where if you cause property damage or hit NPCs a meter will go up. If you fill the meter a chase starts and it spawns cops. Damage enough cops and it becomes roadblocks and helicopters. Rest of the time it's not an issue.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm pleasantly NOT disappointed by this game. The Beta was fun, but I had serious reservations about the handling model, especially after coming from something like Forza.

The handling isn't great, but once you get the hang of it, it's workable - and far less frustrating than the NFS titles, which always led me into crazy tankslappers while trying to do minor turn corrections.

The map is hilariously large, cross-country driving is "a thing you can do", and there's so much poo poo to do I can barely keep up.

Ramp Challenges :getin: PSN: robotsinmyhead if anyone want to play game sometime, I just have Destiny dudes on my friendslist right now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This game crashes a lot for me on my PC. Only get 1-2 hours of gameplay before it crashes. Is this something that affects everyone, or is it more stable for you guys?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Feenix posted:

Dirt races as far as I can tell have a totally different (also faked) physics model seemingly totally unrelated to normal driving. Driving a dirt race is not remotely the same physics as driving the same car on dirt in free roam when not explicitly in a dirt race.

Feenix posted:

Holy poo poo this Reppin' Detroit race in St Louis can suck all of the dicks. Why does this black muscle car have like rockets strapped to it. It can pass me at nearly double my top speed. This game is the worst.

The catch up and rubberbanding is the worst I have ever seen. Try it yourself, you can do some longer point to point races and just park for 20 to 30 seconds before hitting the gas and win handily. The time the AI finishes in is entirely and totally dependent on how fast you drive the course.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Wait till you do some of the timed Point to Point races. I've done 2 so far, one was easy enough that you could literally hit a telephone pole and finish with silver, the other one took me 16 tries of pretty loving clean runs to get a silver with 0.15 seconds left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BitBasher posted:

Dirt races as far as I can tell have a totally different (also faked) physics model seemingly totally unrelated to normal driving. Driving a dirt race is not remotely the same physics as driving the same car on dirt in free roam when not explicitly in a dirt race.

The catch up and rubberbanding is the worst I have ever seen. Try it yourself, you can do some longer point to point races and just park for 20 to 30 seconds before hitting the gas and win handily. The time the AI finishes in is entirely and totally dependent on how fast you drive the course.

In this race, it's not even catch up! That black muscle car will be out of sight within the second turn if you don't cheaply run him off the road, ( if if you can even catch him to do so.)

[And if you do run him off the road early, yes, some crazy bullshit catchup will ensue...]

• Locked thread