Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know the reason behind the huge lack of japanese cars planned for release? DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Licencing issue- bwahaha no this is Ubisoft, it's DLC.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Orv posted:

Excuse me a moment...

:flashfap:

Basically the only reason I even want to play this game is just to see what they've done with my city and compare it to how it really is. Maybe also to see if I can burn rubber at the places people actually do illegal races here.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Come to think of it, how many Japanese cars did Driver SanFran have? I don't remember too many.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shima Honnou posted:

Basically the only reason I even want to play this game is just to see what they've done with my city and compare it to how it really is. Maybe also to see if I can burn rubber at the places people actually do illegal races here.

Overall the cities/towns are very miniature versions of their actual self. Provincetown isn't nearly gay enough though :colbert:

For illegal highway racing dallas has a kickass loop:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Looking it up, my neighborhood is actually this game, albeit represented as, like, maybe 2 or 3 roads. The one I'm thinking of where people do drag racing IRL does seem to be there, though, at least in part. So that's something.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Come to think of it, how many Japanese cars did Driver SanFran have? I don't remember too many.
It had 4 Nissans and that's it. A few other makers might have been approached but I know Honda for one wouldn't like being in a game with races where you can decide your own route through the city.

edit: Now that I look it up, I remember both games have RUFs. RUF is a tuning company who get contacted any time a publisher can't get Porsche to sign, since RUF cars are just tuned-up Porsches.

edit 2: If you guys want a look into how racing-games-with-licensed-cars are made, I suggest you look into this little interview: click

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 31, 2014

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
RUF is always grabbed because EA has exclusive license on Porsche.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisofts-the-crew-slightly-delayed-to-be-released-on-december-2nd/

Release delayed to December, due to the need to get more bugs fixed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
And there will be another beta which honestly seems kinda weird. I wonder if people are going to burn out on this game before release and not buy it ala Blur.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The biggest thing that needs to be fixed is the driving not feeling like total poo poo.

It's like there is no actual driving or physics simulation going on. It doesn't behave anything like a car. It doesn't even behave like something reasonably attempting to imtiate a car. I find it hard to articulate how wrong the driving in the game feels.

Edit: The best way I can describe it is that the game feels like it was programmed by someone who has read books about driving cars and had people tell them stories about driving cars but who had never actually ridden in or driven a car. It's like looking at a sculpture of a cat created by someone who had heard a cat described but has never actually seen one. All the basic parts are there but none of them are right at all.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 7, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The more comes out about this game the less I look forward to it. Hopefully if The Crew 2 comes out it'll be as big an improvement as Assassin's Creed 2 was, because a multiplayer roadtrip game sounds dope as gently caress.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BitBasher posted:

The biggest thing that needs to be fixed is the driving not feeling like total poo poo.

It's like there is no actual driving or physics simulation going on. It doesn't behave anything like a car. It doesn't even behave like something reasonably attempting to imtiate a car. I find it hard to articulate how wrong the driving in the game feels.

Edit: The best way I can describe it is that the game feels like it was programmed by someone who has read books about driving cars and had people tell them stories about driving cars but who had never actually ridden in or driven a car. It's like looking at a sculpture of a cat created by someone who had heard a cat described but has never actually seen one. All the basic parts are there but none of them are right at all.
There are games out there that feel like the ideal of driving a car, like what a kid would imagine a car doing when they're holding a toy car in their hands going "vroom, vroom, screech".

The Crew is not one of them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone get into the new beta? I got sent a code for the EU version which I can't use with my US account, now I'm waiting to hear back from support. :saddowns:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Console-only, so no. Devs did say they did...SOMETHING with the driving so if they fixed every single car handling like crap then I'm all ears.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Great Joe posted:

Console-only, so no. Devs did say they did...SOMETHING with the driving so if they fixed every single car handling like crap then I'm all ears.

What they would need to fix is an actual working physics engine so that driving a car feels like actually driving a car. Right now it feels like a game that had read books about driving and watched movies about driving but never actually driven or ridden in a car. It feels totally wrong, as in the is no actual working engine for the physics of driving, it's all being completely faked in completely the wrong way.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
I dunno, playing the PS4 beta right now and the driving physics feel just fine to me. A step up from the GTA, Watch Dogs, Need for Speed feel, and a step down from Gran Turismo/Forza.

The biggest thing I found was changing the steering assist setting to off ("Hardcore" I think they call it) actually made it feel fun and comfortable. The first couple of minutes in game I spent with all their steering assist BS activated gave me similar feelings regarding their crap physics. I also don't like the way they do their Options menu, at least on this console release as at first I didn't even realize their were multiple tabs to switch through even.

Pretty amazed by the game, hadn't even heard of it until a couple days ago, now I'm pretty sure I'll be buying at release, just can't decide between picking it up for PC or PS4.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzSjHopATQc

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For some reason UBI sent me more keys than I needed. Anyone want to give this a try let me know, I got one for EU and one for US region.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I tried this for an hour or two and hate to say I went right back to Forza Horizon 2 the next time I booted up my system. There was just something that just felt 'off' about it even setting the driving setting to Hardcore. Maybe it's just the terrible story that was clouding my judgement since you can't get away from it in the beginning. I'll give it another try this weekend, but it's definitely got that 'Why would I play a Two Worlds game instead of the Elder Scrolls game that is sitting right next to me?' sort of vibe .

pvax fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 8, 2014

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
After seeing everything the beta has to offer, I still don't know why this game exists when Driver: San Francisco is already a thing and is brilliant.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The fact that Reflections somehow helped out on this instead of working on a sequel to Driver: San Francisco is a goddamn tragedy.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

loving servers are down on a Saturday night. Get bent, Ubisoft.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

The fact that Reflections somehow helped out on this instead of working on a sequel to Driver: San Francisco is a goddamn tragedy.
I think it was just their FMV guys. The story's terrible but those FMVs are the same brand of gorgeous D:SF's were.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I got asked to do a survey about my experience with the beta and they showed the overall results at the end:

welp

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I got asked to do a survey about my experience with the beta and they showed the overall results at the end:

welp

Only 26% said that? I guess most of the players had never touched a real car?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Only 26% said that? I guess most of the players had never touched a real car?
Every person I've seen praise Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 talks about how it handles online and that's it. They don't give a drat that the cars handle like hot garbage, they just like driving cars with their buddies.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Crew will have no review embargo whatsoever, how can they do this? By not giving the press access to review copies of course!

quote:

We also know that many of you will be eager to turn to experts for their professional advice. You want to read how the pros feel after their carefully considered road tests of The Crew. While we totally understand (hey, we read reviews, too!), The Crew was built from the beginning to be a living playground full of driving fans, so it’s only possible to assess our game in its entirety with other real players in the world. And by other, we mean thousands and thousands and thousands of players – something that can’t be simulated with a handful of devs playing alongside the press.

For this very reason, The Crew will be available to media to begin their reviews when the game launches on December 2. There will be absolutely no embargo on any type of coverage once the game is available for sale. While we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas – they won’t be based on optimal conditions or reflect the finished game. We sincerely hope everyone will take the time to customize their ride as they progress through all five regions, explore every corner of the map solo and with friends, dive into our competitive and cooperative mechanics, race to the end of the main campaign, choose a Faction and compete with your crew in Factions Wars, and so much more.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-crew-road-tested/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Crew will have no review embargo whatsoever, how can they do this? By not giving the press access to review copies of course!

http://blog.ubi.com/the-crew-road-tested/

sonic boom also didn't send out early review copies so this could only mean great things

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

quote:

we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas
:lol: "We rigged a whole bunch of reviews by limiting reviewer access to the game as much as possible while still letting them get the slightest impression of what the game's like!"

There's not a single publisher out there willing to make a good racing game anymore. Well, guess there's always Distance and Drift Stage. :v:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 25, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Cubey posted:

sonic boom also didn't send out early review copies so this could only mean great things

Didn't AC:Unity do this as well?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Sounds like it's going to be super buggy at launch.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kingtheninja posted:

Didn't AC:Unity do this as well?

They did send out review copies for Unity but they embargoed them till a couple hours after release, which I reckon is even crazier.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Triple A posted:

Sounds like it's going to be super buggy at launch.
It's going to be super crap at launch and every day onwards, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It really chaps my nuts that the only halfway decent racing game to come out anytime recently is exclusive to the Xbone.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The beta didn't seem to have that any bugs, I just think they know that it's a lovely game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

It really chaps my nuts that the only halfway decent racing game to come out anytime recently is exclusive to the Xbone.
It's a super conservative one, too. Real-world cars, "bro culture" atmosphere, the only real unique selling point they can point out about Forza Horizon 2 is that there's less invisible walls and you can take any car off-roading at your whim. Some imagination it took to cook that up. :v:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Someone has no loving clue what a review embargo means. If they don't give out review copies early then there is a de facto ban on reviews before launch.

That is impressively slimy and dishonest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yodzilla posted:

Forza 4 has enough longevity that I still play it three years later. Just buy and play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

Forza 4 has enough longevity that I still play it three years later. Just buy and play that.
On the other hand, it's Gran Turismo's even scrubbier little brother.

• Locked thread