Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

markgreyam posted:

The god-awful story was driving me nuts though, and I just wanted it all to be over until I could get out into open world mode and just drive. TDU2 wrecked this from TDU1 as well with the cutscenes for the Solar Crown event being unbearably bad.

The story is terrible in a bad Fast and the Furious way which is endearing (to me) in a weird way, but at least here, unlike TDU2, if you wander away from the story it doesn't constantly pester you to get back to it.

Also, I had a lot of fun earlier today doing a crew convoy of 4 people driving muscle cars in the snow and ice terrain. As a general dick around with friends game, it is pretty enjoyable. I'm having pretty much the same enjoyment I had with TDU2, which is to say playing with others doing everything that isn't the story is making the game more fun.

I really, really wish there was a way to turn off the film grain effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

I would say it is good with friends, but that applies to practically all games.

The Ford Raptor is the secret best car because gently caress traffic.

Also I can drift and countersteer while in an off-road vehicle. In fact I've been doing it a lot during cross-country convoys, though I've mostly been wrecking Orv into traffic/guard rails.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Provided you don't immediately burn all your money at the start after picking one of the four starters, you can then go and buy either the Chrysler 300 in Detroit or the Focus RS in New York for the same price as the starters. Orv and Oglogoth tell me that the 300 is a lot better than the starters.

Uplay name is Kaddion.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Then I decided to say gently caress it, and left Detroit for Seattle, and suddenly the game got 1000% better. I picked up a Dirt car which made the handling feel like other driving games, and used that to get me across the Mountains. I eventually picked up a Perf car, and fiddled with the controls like Extra suggested, and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Going from Midwestern Plains to Snowy Mountains to whatever the West Coast is actually felt kind of neat.

Driving through the Rockies in a full crew convoy is great, but like Orv said, how did you get a Perf car?

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Those hotrods are enormous fun.

Here is an image guide for the street spec one.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

They're like, 1-2 thousand for a gold level 10 part. You make around 4 thousand for not even finishing a pvp race (or if you're Kadd, 9 thousand for dicking around :argh:).

:smug:

No idea how to replicate it though. hosed up by traffic, went gently caress it to the rest of the race and drove to the finish line to wait for Marund to win.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Orv posted:

You can do a little thing to immediately exit them, which is doable during driving without stopping to do it. Still a pain in the rear end.

E: It's something like Start, dpad up, A, A.

If you turned off the icons appearing, it disabled the events altogether.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 1, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Yes, its fun, there wasn't an embargo.

No review copies were sent out, ergo all reviews will be post-release.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

They did, actually.

But don't let that stop you shitposting.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

The starter cars still start out kinda bad, but not nearly to the degree they were back in August. With just a few upgrades, they became pretty drivable.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

BitBasher posted:

It's not shitposting saying the car handling is poo poo when the car handling in this game is absolutely poo poo, like sliding a sailboat across ice.

Sure, if you ignore every other post he's made in the thread.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

triple clutcher posted:

I just did a 'quick' spin around the country and it took me about two hours. Didn't get into Florida / far NE and just stuck to barreling down highways at 120+ mph. Regardless of racing potential, it'll be very easy to cruise around aimlessly for hours like I did in TDU2.

One of the best roads is to take one of the roads out north-west from Las Vegas out into the sequoias and up/down a mountain.

Wish I could recall the location name.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

It is very foggy all the time.

Extra posted:

One small quality of life I'd like to see is an in-game stopwatch and player placement tools for multiple waypoints or saved routes.

Like players could set up X waypoints make that into a route and share it with friends or make it public. The game would track the time between the start and finish points requiring that players hit each checkpoint. Or players creating custom scavenger hunt lists to find checkpoints in strange places. Offroad challenges and trick jumps/rock crawls to find player placed objectives. Also support for pick-up cat and mouse battles between players tracking the distance between cars and scoring each player. If you could just go find a random player and challenge them to a battle right then and there with a scoring UI it would be rather neat.

There's a lot of opportunity for player created content in the game that I hope Ubi would take advantage of. We've seen player created content can not only vastly improve the replayability of a game but push sales years after release.

Right now it seems most of the budget went into car parts and AI missions instead of giving players tools to make their own fun.

Also in regards to waypoints, I don't know if you were ever in Orv and I's crew but when the crew leader places a waypoint, everyone else in the crew sees it, which is how we were doing our hotrod drive at the end of beta.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

PvP and Faction stuff unlocks at level 10.

For max fun ignore everything story related and just drive around with other people, having impromptu races/cruising around.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Feenix posted:

How many hidden pieces needed for that?

20. If you grab all data centers, cycle your map icons over to exploration, then head out to the car wreck locations.

Some of my cars:

Street-spec Hot Rod

Dirt-spec Hot Rod

Performance-spec 458

and this monstrosity (Perf-spec Hummer)

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Central European Time

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

I really wish the Spyker that is coming in the season pass was the D8, and not the C8.

D8 was the best offroad car in TDU 2. (for being rammed off a cliff in)

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 14, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

The question for me is, is it a worthy TDU2 successor, and are there enough goons on pc to jump on that?

A few of us TDU2 PC folks are playing this on PC. Unfortunately this game doesn't really have a Beetle to battle with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

Isn't the server for playing TDU2 hosed?

• Locked thread