Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm in the beta. This game is like Most Wanted 2012 except all the cars handle worse, car jumps feel even worse, so do collisions. Also, all that customisation you can do? Every single part can be bought with real-world money, so it manages to be even skeevier than most racing games, including Dirt 3.

Edit: I should mention that even though Reflections helped with the development of the game, the car physics are nothing like Driver: San Francisco. At all.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Carnivorian posted:

You should post your gamertag thingie so I can add you to the op.

No. It's a poo poo game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If you have a PS4 and you want to play half-baked Most Wanted 2012 with a bigger map (because we all know open world racing games that try to sell on a large game world are always good) then The Crew is the game for you.

Also, the beta testing forum has a sticky called "for those who can't pass the first race", which reveals that not only is your car's performance based on your FPS, the game divides your input by the number of input devices you have connected. So if you have a gamepad, you'd better disconnect your keyboard or else your accelerator only goes down halfway.

edit: Hey op, here's a pro tip for your OP. Go to "C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\The Crew", open the file called PCScalability.xml and edit the FPS value to not be 30. That's right, a 30FPS framerate limit.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 25, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Carnivorian posted:

but come on it's a beta.

It's a finished product with no hope of changing. Every parameter is set, the only thing missing is plopping down events onto the map. People hoped Battlefield 3's release would play better than the beta or the alpha that came before, and sure enough it played like the alpha with a filter on top. There's not a single thing about the way this game handles that will change upon release. It's not a beta, it's a time-limited demo made to ensure fans are raving about the game before it comes out.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shadowlz posted:

Counterpoint: this game is fun.

:jerkbag:
Did I mention the unskippable cutscenes every time you retry a mission, the fact that cars rotate randomly in the air until they reach 90° and the game then rolls the dice on whether they go further or not, the game automatically assuming you've crashed if the car does rotate further, the fact that an offroad pickup truck will bounce like crazy on level geometry making offroading a crapshoot, that cars take multiple seconds to lean into turns making avoiding traffic also a crapshoot, that countersteering often does more harm than good, the fact that cops don't actually do anything, the long loading times most likely due to the always-online requirement, the fact that the game makes almost zero effort to point out the next checkpoint except for a beam of light going up into the sky, that the minimap rotates along with your car but doesn't point it straight up, or that there's no nitrous rewarded for doing anything, or that despite there being a licensed soundtrack there's also an original one that's just bland movie violins and synths, or even that the menu navigation only makes sense on an american keyboard where Ð and ? are actually [ and ], that the ingame menu pauses the game but doesn't let you use any other input than WASD or that when you alt+F4 the game goes into a splash screen, launches your internet browser and then hangs until you give it focus again?

Oh wait, I didn't. This game is poo poo.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Maybe i'll just end up waiting for this game to be very cheap so I can finally have my dream road trip sim.

Outrun Coast 2 Coast exists and its one mission goal was to be a road trip. Check it out.

VarXX posted:

I was in some other beta for this and can also confirm its bad. The environments are about as varied as you'd expect from a last gen open world game, half the map is empty except like 6 cities.

It might also be that I was expecting a new Burnout Paradise for some reason and this game is most definitely not that. :(

Got some good advice for you, kid. Never buy "the new Burnout Paradise", there's only one Burnout Paradise, that ship has sailed, it ain't happening again. The only people making decent car games anymore are indie studios, though you can't really expect those to make a big ol' handmade sandbox. 90's Arcade Racer is coming along at a steady pace and Distance should be going from Alpha to Beta within the next three months. I recommend you check those out instead.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Duck_King posted:

Gameplay issues aside, is anyone else really getting sick of these wannabe Fast and Furious racing games? You've always got some omg-so-hawt girl speaking into an earpiece/phone telling you how to get sick upgradestunes and some Very Serious Guy telling you about how this next race at the factory rave is Very Serious. Forza at least never made me feel like a 14 year old douchebag with too much Axe hairgel and Moutain Dew.
This is in pretty stark contrast to Driver: San Francisco, which had no earpiece lady, just two buddy cops being buddies...and cops. It also had a driving model that was more fun than any realistic game, or Need for Speed game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It does, but publishers seem to disagree. Didn't prevent EA from putting "please say it's the new Burnout Paradise" into the Most Wanted 2012 press kit.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, the car handling model is inexcusable garbage. It's like the worst aspects of sim racers turned into overdrive and I honestly don't see why anyone could actually like it. Expecting the player to weave through traffic with a car that feels like you're driving while drunk is pretty drat bad, not being able to do basic things like drifting and countersteering while off-roading in an off-road vehicle is loving terrible. Actually, it's inexcusable. A good platformer lets you easily tell exactly how high and how far your jump goes, a good FPS lets you know where any projectile goes when you press fire, a good racer SHOULD let you easily know how a car behaves when you press a direction. Instead The Crew thinks it knows better and makes it so that any angle on the joystick is just more of a suggestion for where the wheel should go, when it gets around to it. Of course this makes any car either fishtail like crazy around every turn, or just not go through it.

I barely had the patience to get through the prologue and already, I'm just plain angry any time there's a cutscene happening. I don't care about this thick-rimmed glasses wearing, Portland-bearded dweeb. Holy poo poo, the guy comes off as just the biggest obnoxious nerd. Doesn't help that when the camera isn't on him, it's going LOOK AT ALL THIS DRIVING YOU COULD BE DOING. It doesn't get me psyched about the upcoming race, it just makes me angry the game didn't already give me control. It's the most generic poo poo, too. Your obnoxiously overbearing gangster brother got killed, a fat FBI thug framed you for the killing and somehow the only way to take him down is with...driving...

Don't buy this game. Please.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's one legit cool idea in this game. It's introduced in the prologue while you're driving to Detroit, essentially they have these challenges on random bits of road. You just pass through a gate and suddenly you're doing a challenge. It kinda reminds me of Burnout Paradise's Road Rules, yeah I honestly liked those. There's only one flaw, and that's that there's no obvious way to opt-out if you just wanna use the road as a way to get from A-to-B.

A quick patch to include an opt-out option and it'd be a brilliant way to keep the freeroam fresh.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 27, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I think they're just there for flavour.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

Jesus christ shut up Joe.
:lol: "How dare you not like the same thing I like?"

Look, just say you want all discussion of this game to be positive and I'll leave this thread alone.

Croccers posted:

Why were people expecting Burnout from this?
I've no idea, but I'm guessing it's because BP was the last great open world racing game and there hasn't been anything like it since. Even Criterion managed to gently caress it up three times and they're the ones who made it in the first place.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Reason posted:

I really agree with this. Why can't race games A: Stop putting in a story beyond "I drive cars" and B: Just use the same engine Forza uses for their cars/physics?
I kinda disagree. Racing games can have stories, but it has to be done well. I know I'm mentioning it a lot but Driver: San Francisco had a genuinely good story, and told it well. As for B, if all games had cars like Forza, we wouldn't have games like Trackmania, F-Zero or San Francisco Rush. Or Nitronic Rush.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I am playing with a 360 controller and having a blast, but I also never play racing/driving games. I could see how it would be disliked if I was big into the genre, but I am having a lot of fun.

Edit: Considering it is coming out on consoles they might have designed the controls with gamepads in mind if they expect it to sell better on consoles.

I've been using a gamepad so far, and I've already said enough about how the handling feels.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The intense segregation of car parts makes sense when you consider that Ubisoft already announced they're "letting" people pay to skip the grind, of course. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

hosed around with Orv and Kaddion in their super rad hot rods earlier this morning and it was mad fun sliding down the mountain passes and having random rolling drag races. I just can't get over how shite the beginning of this game is compared to when you actually get away from the missions and the cities. The Crew for it's flaws is far and away the best car game ever made in terms of free roam capability. It becomes easy to ignore the missions and progression because when it comes down to it the point of the game is just to grab a bunch of cars and gently caress around having pick-up races with pals. That or find random pubs and pretend you're playing Mad Max 2: The Video Game.

There's a ton of potential for create your own fun, I just hope Ubi realizes that we need more than 4 people around in an instance. I'd like to see players able to make their own live instance with 16 or so players. Being able or organize larger scale organized races, road rallies, scavenger hunts, and other driving events are what would really take this game to the next level. Especially if they want to sell DLC. I read an article stating groups of up to 8 people but the UI seemed to indicate only 4.

I didn't see any issues when our group of 3 encountered random players so I'm not sure why they've decided to limit group sizes so heavily.
If they make a sequel where the cars handle well, and there's a nicely linear progression in driving quirks, I'll buy it, no questions asked.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Come to think of it, how many Japanese cars did Driver SanFran have? I don't remember too many.
It had 4 Nissans and that's it. A few other makers might have been approached but I know Honda for one wouldn't like being in a game with races where you can decide your own route through the city.

edit: Now that I look it up, I remember both games have RUFs. RUF is a tuning company who get contacted any time a publisher can't get Porsche to sign, since RUF cars are just tuned-up Porsches.

edit 2: If you guys want a look into how racing-games-with-licensed-cars are made, I suggest you look into this little interview: click

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 31, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BitBasher posted:

The biggest thing that needs to be fixed is the driving not feeling like total poo poo.

It's like there is no actual driving or physics simulation going on. It doesn't behave anything like a car. It doesn't even behave like something reasonably attempting to imtiate a car. I find it hard to articulate how wrong the driving in the game feels.

Edit: The best way I can describe it is that the game feels like it was programmed by someone who has read books about driving cars and had people tell them stories about driving cars but who had never actually ridden in or driven a car. It's like looking at a sculpture of a cat created by someone who had heard a cat described but has never actually seen one. All the basic parts are there but none of them are right at all.
There are games out there that feel like the ideal of driving a car, like what a kid would imagine a car doing when they're holding a toy car in their hands going "vroom, vroom, screech".

The Crew is not one of them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Console-only, so no. Devs did say they did...SOMETHING with the driving so if they fixed every single car handling like crap then I'm all ears.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzSjHopATQc

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

The fact that Reflections somehow helped out on this instead of working on a sequel to Driver: San Francisco is a goddamn tragedy.
I think it was just their FMV guys. The story's terrible but those FMVs are the same brand of gorgeous D:SF's were.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Only 26% said that? I guess most of the players had never touched a real car?
Every person I've seen praise Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 talks about how it handles online and that's it. They don't give a drat that the cars handle like hot garbage, they just like driving cars with their buddies.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

quote:

we fully anticipate that you might see some reviews immediately at launch – largely built around the preview sessions we facilitated during the past months or the limited content of the closed and open betas
:lol: "We rigged a whole bunch of reviews by limiting reviewer access to the game as much as possible while still letting them get the slightest impression of what the game's like!"

There's not a single publisher out there willing to make a good racing game anymore. Well, guess there's always Distance and Drift Stage. :v:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 25, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Triple A posted:

Sounds like it's going to be super buggy at launch.
It's going to be super crap at launch and every day onwards, though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

It really chaps my nuts that the only halfway decent racing game to come out anytime recently is exclusive to the Xbone.
It's a super conservative one, too. Real-world cars, "bro culture" atmosphere, the only real unique selling point they can point out about Forza Horizon 2 is that there's less invisible walls and you can take any car off-roading at your whim. Some imagination it took to cook that up. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

Forza 4 has enough longevity that I still play it three years later. Just buy and play that.
On the other hand, it's Gran Turismo's even scrubbier little brother.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

Forza is leagues better than Gran Turismo, are you high. Especially the last two GT games which were hot fuckin garbage.

I say this as someone who's been with GT since the original on PS1.
Even. Scrubbier. Little. Brother. :colbert:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I've loved both Gran Turismo and Forza but there's something about the presentation in both of those series' recent games that just puts me to sleep. It's like they've both decided to become more and more sterile over the years and it's baffling to me as to why.
Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ehtTdzOT8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13k8rvL1BMk

I think you may be right

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nissir posted:

Considering I haven't played a racing game since Daytona in the arcades of the early 2000's what are the must have racing games out there?
Burnout 2, Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, Burnout Paradise, Split/Second, Blur, every single Wipeout that isn't Fusion, RollCage, Ridge Racer Type 4, Trackmania United Forever, Nitronic Rush (which is free, btw) aaaaaaaaaaaaaand probably the Project Gotham Racing series, I never tried those but I heard good things.

Cubey posted:

Nah, Forza Owns, GT is shitballs terrible, sorry that you're wrong.
They're both terrible, unimaginative garbage.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

One thing I do know for certain, and I think everyone will agree, I'd rather play Forza 5 than The Crew.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Sorry, but both of them suck because neither of them is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
This, but unironically.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lyer posted:

The crew would be a really fun racing game, were it not for the incredibly lovely handing. GTA V at this point is the better open world racing game.
That's really the sticker. A racing game literally lives or dies on its handling and Ubisoft decided that rather than let Reflections work the same magic they did with Driver San Francisco, they could just re-use whatever half-assery they'd made for Watch_Dogs.

Robo Reagan posted:

I wasn't being ironic. :colbert:
Oh. Sorry. :( We cool? We cool.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ethanol posted:

The only other racing game coming out for pc (and xbone/ps4) can think of is Project Cars, but that's a track racer, not open world, but it looks really promising for pc racers.
Distance isn't open world, but it is pretty good, and it's coming out of private beta pretty soon. Maybe check it out? :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Is that the Nitronic Rush 2.0 game?
It is. I kinda really love both games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AFXGzrhrs
(:swoon:)

Weirdest thing is, even without the rocket boosters, the jump button, the wallrides and the wings, the one car in Distance still feels more fun to drive than the cars in The Crew. Hell, the A-Team van in Nitronic Rush feels more fun to drive.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

This game seems less to have appeal on racing and more on just...chilling out and driving around.
You say that, but then there's random gates spread around the interstate that force you into challenges like slaloms and top speed, which then have no obvious way out of them that isn't just completing them. Instead of then just giving you a quick overlay with your final score while you keep driving, there's a score screen that takes you out of the driver's seat until you press through it.

I'm not sure if you can opt out of those, either. Real shame.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Next Car Game is debatable right now. The handling is still bug gently caress awful, it needs serious optimization work, and it's overall pretty eh.
Same could be said of The Crew. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You've got it all wrong, Orv.

This is the shark tank.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's plenty of imports in there. Three German labels (RUF, BMW and Mini), a couple of Brits labels as well, three Italian labels including :siren:Ferrari:siren: and- oh you were talking about Japanese cars. I'm honestly not sure if they'll get more labels than Nissan.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 1, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not to mention, the C3? Really? If any car was hit hard by the late 1970s' new emissions standards, it was the C3.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

*does that thing with a corvette's rear body panel, you know, that thing you can do with one finger on any corvette*

• Locked thread