Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Extra posted:

Same but at least I hope goons took away from my posts the impression The Crew is a very unique and awesome game despite being rough around the edges. What it lacks in story and polish it makes up for in concept execution.

In other words more or less any Ubisoft 1st gen IP release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

The biggest thing that needs to be fixed is the driving not feeling like total poo poo.

It's like there is no actual driving or physics simulation going on. It doesn't behave anything like a car. It doesn't even behave like something reasonably attempting to imtiate a car. I find it hard to articulate how wrong the driving in the game feels.

Edit: The best way I can describe it is that the game feels like it was programmed by someone who has read books about driving cars and had people tell them stories about driving cars but who had never actually ridden in or driven a car. It's like looking at a sculpture of a cat created by someone who had heard a cat described but has never actually seen one. All the basic parts are there but none of them are right at all.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 7, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Great Joe posted:

Console-only, so no. Devs did say they did...SOMETHING with the driving so if they fixed every single car handling like crap then I'm all ears.

What they would need to fix is an actual working physics engine so that driving a car feels like actually driving a car. Right now it feels like a game that had read books about driving and watched movies about driving but never actually driven or ridden in a car. It feels totally wrong, as in the is no actual working engine for the physics of driving, it's all being completely faked in completely the wrong way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I got asked to do a survey about my experience with the beta and they showed the overall results at the end:

welp

Only 26% said that? I guess most of the players had never touched a real car?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The Crew will have no review embargo whatsoever, how can they do this? By not giving the press access to review copies of course!

Someone has no loving clue what a review embargo means. If they don't give out review copies early then there is a de facto ban on reviews before launch.

That is impressively slimy and dishonest.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kaddion posted:

They did, actually.

But don't let that stop you shitposting.

No they didn't. The handling is abysmal. I knew it was likely going to be but I'm a loving idiot and I bought it anyway.

It's not shitposting saying the car handling is poo poo when the car handling in this game is absolutely poo poo, like sliding a sailboat across ice.

Best handling cars my rear end. The cars you start with are absolute poo poo and don't just handle like rear end they handle nothing like driving a car. It's like instead of having physics they elaborately faked car physics coded by a guy who had never been in a car and only had read stories about them.

Most games start with cars that handle perfectly fine and then the cars get faster and the handling tighter. This game starts with handling that is pure and unadulterated poo poo to the point that every real life person I know cancelled their preorder after trying the beta.

You have to grind away on poo poo to earn something that actually handles anywhere near like a real car instead of a cinderblock covered in vaseline.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

Nah, the first turn on the dirt race car is like being on ice. Not sure what they were thinking.

Dirt races as far as I can tell have a totally different (also faked) physics model seemingly totally unrelated to normal driving. Driving a dirt race is not remotely the same physics as driving the same car on dirt in free roam when not explicitly in a dirt race.

Feenix posted:

Holy poo poo this Reppin' Detroit race in St Louis can suck all of the dicks. Why does this black muscle car have like rockets strapped to it. It can pass me at nearly double my top speed. This game is the worst.

The catch up and rubberbanding is the worst I have ever seen. Try it yourself, you can do some longer point to point races and just park for 20 to 30 seconds before hitting the gas and win handily. The time the AI finishes in is entirely and totally dependent on how fast you drive the course.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

In this race, it's not even catch up! That black muscle car will be out of sight within the second turn if you don't cheaply run him off the road, ( if if you can even catch him to do so.)

[And if you do run him off the road early, yes, some crazy bullshit catchup will ensue...]

I just did that race, and I won by not driving anywhere near the track. I cut corners by truly impressive amounts since the checkpoints are not near the corners of the track. Amusingly, when I did it that car would oversteer straight into a brick wall on the first left hand corner onto the freeway. Every. Single. Time. He would still be right behind me 2 turns later.

arbybaconator posted:

Is this game better than Driveclub on the PS4? That game was such a frustrating mess Online.

Driveclub is a huge mess but the actual driving is far, far better in my opinion.

I really want to like this game, truly. The world is great and massive and would be fun to drive in if the game offered something that was similar to actual driving.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Great Joe posted:

Clearly nobody else but you has problems with the handling so I guess you're just bad at video games. :shrug:

Really a lot of people have problems with the handling in this game, but people keep shouting for them (us) to shut up about it. The handling in this game is pretty horrible.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Burnout: Paradise City

Also, GTA V's driving physics are actually far better than The Crew, in that they represent actual driving physics just with a lot more grip.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Hating the handling in The Crew is perfectly valid. I don't understand what posting about how much you hate it over and over in this thread is going to achieve though.

For me it's because of overwhelming disappointment. The world and the premise are so great it bothers me that the game is so mediocre at best.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

T1g4h posted:

I do think it's hilarious that people love TDU and TDU2, but despise The Crew. Both TDU and TDU2 had way worse handling, TDU especially. 100+ over a sharp crest and my car just sticks to the road like glue? Rock solid suspension? Cars that hit a bump and spazzed the gently caress out? TDU had that poo poo covered.

I disagree with your statement but I think for a different reason than you made it. I far preferred the physics in TDU 1 and 2.

TDU games had some odd physics to them in the gravity and grip but they were consistent and acted like there was an actual physics model that just wasn't really well implemented. It was predictable, and had real world analogues for traction and the way friction behaved even if the thresholds weren't the same.

The Crew just feels completely wrong. There are things the games does that has not only no basics in physics but are completely and totally wrong. For example, when a car oversteers and the rear wheels have lost traction if you counter steer and add light throttle like you should then too loving bad for you it does poo poo, but if you do the opposite of what you should and mash the brakes while counter steering your car whips around and rights itself exactly the opposite of the inertia your car has.

It's like there is absolutely no actual physics model in The Crew. It's like someone who has read books about driving but never actually driven a car programmed what driving was like in their head, completely ignoring how it actually works because they have never done it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I laughed really hard when I realized that the gold medal ghosts apparently rubberband also. If I am behind one for most of a challenge then pass it at the end it's entirely possible to finish ahead of the gold medal ghost and get a bronze. How in hell can you possible gently caress up what should be a fixed ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Lyer posted:

Depends on the skill, it's based on scoring points rather than position, so that makes sense how. If you miss a bunch of targets or have the point multiplier reset, it's possible to get ahead of the ghost and still get a lower medal.

Speed challenges and escapes do this. The escapes are based on pure distance according to the description. Also, I have had escapes end with 4-8 seconds left on the countdown.

• Locked thread