Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He made an entire career out of writting mary sue fan fiction of himself. Even Lisey's Story was about how much his wife would miss her wonderful distant alcoholic husband after he passed away. He's no better than the Twilight Saga author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's entertaining? :shrug:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I thought his early stuff was fun to read (though I was a tween while reading it) but anything after the mid 90's is just long and a pain in the rear end to get through. The stuff he's put out over the last 5-10 years is pretty poo poo.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
Whoah, that's not a safe opinion!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually really liked and still do like Desperado. I didn't like it's twin novel The Regulators but I appreciated the effort he put into intertwining and lining things up to stay consistent between the two novels.

naem
May 29, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

It's entertaining? :shrug:

Yeah he's great

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
I really enjoyed Under the Dome for a recent one, and 11/22/63

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Fine so you don't like his books, he's still history's greatest actor

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
The Tommyknockers is incredible. Can you really poo poo-talk King and give Meyers, Rowling, and James Patterson a pass?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

"On Writing," is his best and most readable published work

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i remember when i first read cujo in 7th grade and i got to the part where the guy who was having an affair with the wife broke into their empty house and masturbated on their bed and king described in great detail the process and force in which he ejaculated.

truly a great author

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
The Long Walk is amazing :mad:

And Running Man is too.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
His books, good or not, were turned into some awesome fuckin movies!

Kubrick's The Shining, Rob Reiner's Misery, de Palma's Carrie. The list goes on.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Juanito posted:

The Long Walk is amazing :mad:

I forgot about The Long Walk. I forgive all of Stephen King's sins because of The Long Walk.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i never read a book

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Volume posted:

I forgot about The Long Walk. I forgive all of Stephen King's sins because of The Long Walk.
Frank Darabont has owned the film rights for awhile. I want it to get made :argh:

I'm okay with King, but I love the Bachman books the most.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Stephen King owns in rap battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56R3hU-fWZY

hovis rock
Mar 2, 2005

Volume posted:

He made an entire career out of writting mary sue fan fiction of himself. Even Lisey's Story was about how much his wife would miss her wonderful distant alcoholic husband after he passed away. He's no better than the Twilight Saga author.

Wow. Just wow. It's jealous fucks like you that try to "pwn" people with their edgy contrarian opinion that are ruining pretty much everything today. "HAY GUYZ LOOK AT ME!!! I HAVE A CONTROVERSIAL OPINION!"

gently caress you and the horse you rode in on.

naem
May 29, 2011

this hot blonde girl with big boobs who has sex with me all the time isn't a Nobel prize winner!!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SirEvelynTremble posted:

I really enjoyed Under the Dome for a recent one, and 11/22/63

same but also the stand and Christine and cujo and pet semetary and the mist and basically all short stories

I've read all his books and gently caress off op, some aren't as amazing as usual but king generally owns, I read mr Mercedes on a plane recently and it was good too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ive only ever read IT and that weird orgy scene really threw me through a loop

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You gotta give him credit for being willing to crawl so far up his own rear end in a top hat with the Dark Tower Saga. As someone who would love to write that kind of garbage, it's actually excruciating to attempt. This totally sounds like a sarcastic insult but it's not, I find this legit impressive.

His short stories all own too.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I liked Thinner and kinda wanted that curse to happen to me when I was fatter. Just let me get cursed so I can lose weight for awhile, and then remove the curse.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Still you have to admit, Cell was a retarded piece of poo poo.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Nathilus posted:

You gotta give him credit for being willing to crawl so far up his own rear end in a top hat with the Dark Tower Saga. As someone who would love to write that kind of garbage, it's actually excruciating to attempt. This totally sounds like a sarcastic insult but it's not, I find this legit impressive.

His short stories all own too.

yeah, okay, that got hosed up around book 4, but don't pretend you didn't read every one when it came out

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Needful Things, a lot of his short stories are fantastic (Children of the Corn, The Mist, Apt Pupil), Black House co-written with Peter Straub - dark poo poo :) ; The Dark Half ... the list goes on

hovis rock
Mar 2, 2005
I'm sure your all much better writers than Steven King?

5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG
Jul 14, 2007

dodecatuple secret probation
books are gay

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
real talk, read mr Mercedes, he wrote that at like 75 and it is a good book

e:: there's no magic retards or Randall Flagg or anything, he just said gently caress it and changed genres and did a good job

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

MrQwerty posted:

"On Writing," is his best and most readable published work

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hovis rock posted:

I'm sure your all much better writers than Steven King?

I don't need to be a world class chef to know this chicken is burnt.

naem
May 29, 2011

I like that he writes great stories about the struggles of growing up in a small town in rural Maine, then writes about SERIAL KILLER SPACE ALIEN gently caress MONSTERS in the exact same tone, weaving it all together until it all seems equally plausible

hovis rock
Mar 2, 2005

Volume posted:

Nice fallacy.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Volume posted:

Well you shouldn't put all your french fries in the same basket, or someone might get hurt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Volume posted:

i admit my favorite stephen king novel is the one about the thriller fiction author getting injured and abducted by the uggo slam whale

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

i admit my favorite stephen king novel is the one about the thriller fiction author getting injured and abducted by the uggo slam whale

the lawn mower :smith:

hovis rock
Mar 2, 2005

Juanito posted:

Well you shouldn't put all your french fries in the same basket, or someone might get hurt.

exactly. if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen and don't read his books. don't speak about it, BE about it - step up and show him how it's done by writing a better one or step off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I'm sort of sad that it never happened irl to the authors of books like Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

has ever explaned why he wrote that sewer child orgy scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

hovis rock posted:

Nice fallacy.
not actually a fallacy at all you loving moron

• Locked thread