Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maximum Overdrive was pretty good but I liked the book more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like when people complain about his self-insertion in the Dark Tower books when in the books he's a huge stupid rear end in a top hat nobody likes

This is true, the gunslinger basically calls him a weak rear end pussy motherfucker whose responsible for the death of a child and obsesses over his car crash

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The first four gunslinger books and his short stories are okay and good writers + good budget could make It into a boss HBO-style series

The fact that he doesn't like Kubrick's version of The Shining is hilarious

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

jackyl posted:

yeah, okay, that got hosed up around book 4, but don't pretend you didn't read every one when it came out

I'm tellin ya mang, it's not a backhanded compliment. I even like the ending. It makes sense, if you get your mind in that place where it's completely up your own rectum. I get the aesthetic. It's good. Zero sarcasm.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the very end of the dark tower is fine and people who were pissed off because it's an endlessly repeating loop didn't understand a stephen king book about a dimension hopping cowboy knight and you should probably take their hateful words with a grain of salt

most of the 5-7th books are either extremely boring or ridiculous though

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the very end of the dark tower is fine and people who were pissed off because it's an endlessly repeating loop didn't understand a stephen king book about a dimension hopping cowboy knight and you should probably take their hateful words with a grain of salt

most of the 5-7th books are either extremely boring or ridiculous though

iirc it's not endlessly repeating because roland has some mcguffin on his belt at the end of book 7 he didn't have the first time around

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

iirc it's not endlessly repeating because roland has some mcguffin on his belt at the end of book 7 he didn't have the first time around

Yeah he's repeating a loop until he becomes a good man or achieves enlightenment or whatever

This is even reinforced by how stupid and goofy the Crimson King turns out to be, which makes perfect sense in light of the fact that the story is about Roland mastering his own willingness to sacrifice the people he loves for his goals and not killing the final boss, it's a banality of evil thing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah he's repeating a loop until he becomes a good man or achieves enlightenment or whatever

This is even reinforced by how stupid and goofy the Crimson King turns out to be, which makes perfect sense in light of the fact that the story is about Roland mastering his own willingness to sacrifice the people he loves for his goals and not killing the final boss, it's a banality of evil thing

yeah i got that

even king realised how lovely 5-7 were and talked about rewriting them as a major project and removing himself as a character lol

honestly i wouldn't mind that

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

even king realised how lovely 5-7 were and talked about rewriting them as a major project and removing himself as a character lol

honestly i wouldn't mind that

the 5th book was honestly my least favorite because it's too long and the plot doesn't advance much at all, you also spend a couple hundred pages listening to someone recount salem's lot (i think???)

the only defense i've ever heard of it that makes sense is "he had to show the gunslingers doing a gunslinger thing and tell a western story once" but that's literally what the book right before it is except better and more interesting

i guess i'd be okay with this if he got a harsher editor is what i'm saying

naem
May 29, 2011

The frisbee boomerang nunchucks were a bit much IMO

And singing about rice in a sexualized way

Plant the rice kamallah, she gasped cumming humpily

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
yeah, the last three Dark Tower books were kinda terrible and I am mad at him over those

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Yo we just destroyed a motherfuckin sentient train by telling it riddles, we're kicking rear end trekking through an apocalyptic blasted landscape in search of the dark tower with insanely cool villians, oh by the way i'm going to stop the narrative and spend this entire book in a flashback telling you about my first girlfriend and our really long boring romance

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The hosed up part about The Dark Tower was right before the last chapter where he literally says if you've been reading the series for the past 30 years, stop now and make up your own ending.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

The hosed up part about The Dark Tower was right before the last chapter where he literally says if you've been reading the series for the past 30 years, stop now and make up your own ending.

This is honestly good advice to the kind of person who would follow a fantasy novel series for 30 years and get upset if the ending was bad

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I used to read a lot of trashy Lovecraft-inspired anthologies because I had a job with a lot of downtime and one of them had a short story by Stephen King where a guy writes in his journal and is all "Man there's something pretty bad about this evil chapel near my house" and then he goes to the evil chapel and there's a dead body or something and then he leaves

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
When the Losers' travel into the sewer with the intent of destroying It, they momentarily find themselves hopelessly trapped. As the boys start to panic, Beverly comes up with the idea of having sex with the others in order to calm them down, as a result the other Losers take turns having sex with her. Because King didn't wish this to be viewed as a lewd scene, the narrative explicitly states that the act of intimacy with each of the boys' helps to further strengthen their friendship; and Beverly only experiences orgasm while having intercourse with Bill Denbrough and Ben Hanscom.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
King's prose certainly aren't breaking any ground, but god drat does the man know how to tell a great story. I just finished Doctor Sleep last week and it was loving thrilling. One of those books where you just can't bring yourself to put it down. OP is a giant human being.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Carrie: The musical.

Just reminding people that this is a thing that exists.

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
He's hit or miss. When he fails to create a riveting tale, he just farts and pulls aliens or some bullshit out of his rear end. Under the Dome's ending was such bullshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Long Walk is the best thing he ever wrote. Everyone go read it right now, it'll only take you a couple of sittings.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked the Dark Tower books even the Drawing of Three and Song for Susannah which weren't that well liked I don't think. Salem's Lot was really enjoyable too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"hey, hey guys remember that time I got hit by a van?"

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

has ever explaned why he wrote that sewer child orgy scene

He was horny.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The Jaunt is pretty much the best S.F. story ever written, and that isn't even his main genre. Pretty damned impressive (before the mid 1990's).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember when he hosed up Lars Von Trier's The Kingdom, and made it into something less scary than a postage stamp.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Volume posted:

He made an entire career out of writting mary sue fan fiction of himself. Even Lisey's Story was about how much his wife would miss her wonderful distant alcoholic husband after he passed away. He's no better than the Twilight Saga author.

Was he the dog in Cujo?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
he's really consistent at writing exciting middle sections that you want to keep reading but then you get to the ending and hate him

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hovis rock posted:

I'm sure your all much better writers than Steven King?

hovis rock posted:

Nice fallacy.

hovis rock posted:

"Steven King being a bad author is not a fallacy, despite him selling millions of books"

Look up the definition of the word.

is this what GBS is now?

yeesh...

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Stephen King is alright. His books generally make good movies.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've never read a Stephen King book. I read some Dean Koontz when I was a kid, they were okay I guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

He made an entire career out of writting mary sue fan fiction of himself.

You know to be honest I've always got the feeling that King does a lot of writing using himself as a base not because of ego fan fiction, but because if you're going to produce as MANY books as he does every year... you're gonna kind of need a template to start from. I bet that knocks months off the writing process to not have to think of location or recreate characters and instead go "Eh, Maine!"

I can see why he wanted to tie all the books together in that Dark Tower series because of it. I think he'd been better off (and probably would have in today's crossover climate) if all the books were set in the same universe whenever possible anyway.

burritolingus posted:

Stephen King is alright. His books generally make good movies.

Only in the hands of a director who isn't afraid to wildly change them to make a good movie. Look at The Shining or The Green Mile for example. Frankly King's best strength is an idea man, and atmosphere, and a little polish by someone with a vision can really make it work.

... when you don't do that, well, you get the TV movie version of The Shining.

Say what you will though, he is STILL putting out a lot of books each year, and they'll probably be making movies out of them for the next 60+ years. And from what I understand he's still pretty consistent quality wise, turning out some "Meh" books next to a few pretty good ones.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 25, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

His short stories were/are very good, his novellas are usually very good, his novels are hit-or-miss. I think he has just as many terrible novels as he has good ones, but when he does well it's usually very good.*

As a few people have said, On Writing is one of my favorite non-fiction books, serving as a sort of biography/ writing guide and often something in between.

His prose has become worse and worse as I read better and better authors. His favorite novel is War and Peace, which having read that caused me to pick it up one day while I was browsing Chapters, and after having read it I read a few of his short stories and felt like I was reading something written by a Jr High School student.

*Ideas good

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
When I was a young teenager I read Geralds' Game. Still wondering why that book was in my middle school library. I kinda stopped reading him after that.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i love dick, if thats any consolation..

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spacedad posted:

Carrie: The musical.

Just reminding people that this is a thing that exists.

Stephen King and John Mellencamp wrote a musical together, it's supposed to be godawful

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Volume posted:

He made an entire career out of writting mary sue fan fiction of himself. Even Lisey's Story was about how much his wife would miss her wonderful distant alcoholic husband after he passed away. He's no better than the Twilight Saga author.

Mary Sue? really? i honestly can't think of a King character that's super powered and never fails at anything. also, i have to agree that his ideas for stories (not necessarily how he writes them) really went downhill when he stopped doing coke. i guess staying up for 20 hours thinking weird thoughts really helps when you write horror

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Stephen King books (almost) always go the same way:

(Character introductions almost always involving a writer)
step 1. Protagonist(s) move in to a new town
step 2. Spooky poo poo
step 3. LOL IT WAS GIANT ALIENS DOING MIND poo poo ALL ALONG

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've been working my way through the Dark Tower series. I just got to the bit where the cowboy man does a big dance in front of a town. Liking it all so far, but its ridiculous.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Most awkward moments in king writing.

1. Kids having a space orgy in the sewers. It's like a 10 year old gangbang for five chapters.

2. That dude in cujo jacking off.

3. The stand where that dude rapes another dude with a gun and tugs his wenier until it looks like one of those pool balls (The purple one?) and blasts semen all over a trashcan or something

4. his new book of short stories about the farm kid called (The mom who fingers herself then died) or something. It's about this mom that's murdered by the father and son because all she wants to is get drunk and sodomized and steal money from the husband so she gets poisoned and choked and axed and thrown down a well and maybe fingered afterwards too

5. That scene in the running man where his wife gets gangbanged by like 500000 dudes and dies from getting a heroin needle jacked up her vagina or butt, I dunno.

6. The worst by far is that scene in Everything Eventual where they the main hero orders a egg salad or something instead of a steak despite it being like 5star dig what a loving mind bender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

big duck equals goose posted:

Most awkward moments in king writing.

1. Kids having a space orgy in the sewers. It's like a 10 year old gangbang for five chapters.

2. That dude in cujo jacking off.

3. The stand where that dude rapes another dude with a gun and tugs his wenier until it looks like one of those pool balls (The purple one?) and blasts semen all over a trashcan or something

4. his new book of short stories about the farm kid called (The mom who fingers herself then died) or something. It's about this mom that's murdered by the father and son because all she wants to is get drunk and sodomized and steal money from the husband so she gets poisoned and choked and axed and thrown down a well and maybe fingered afterwards too

5. That scene in the running man where his wife gets gangbanged by like 500000 dudes and dies from getting a heroin needle jacked up her vagina or butt, I dunno.

6. The worst by far is that scene in Everything Eventual where they the main hero orders a egg salad or something instead of a steak despite it being like 5star dig what a loving mind bender

that stuff is pretty tame for a horror writer

• Locked thread