Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

doesn't he admit to being a hack, though?

like he admitted that he directed Maximum Overdrive while on a coke binge or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
You can't talk about his short stories without mentioning Survivor Type!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

ive only read one stephen king book and that was christine. it was decent enough but it probably didn't need to be that long and it didnt leave me a lasting desire to read any more of his stuff when any of his stuff worth a drat got a cut down movie adaptation.

So who do you read for horror?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
King was better when he was on and recovering from drugs.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dean of Swing posted:

King was better when he was on and recovering from drugs.

He was just a real bad drunk. But, yeah, he was better when he was killing himself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Everyone worsens post substance abuse except maybe Nick Cave

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
who the gently caress is nick cave?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

So who do you read for horror?

i mostly read literary fiction but i like to check out well regarded genre writers on occasion. reading through the thread i might check out his short stories because that seems to solve really the only gripe i had with christine

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

i mostly read literary fiction but i like to check out well regarded genre writers on occasion. reading through the thread i might check out his short stories because that seems to solve really the only gripe i had with christine

I don't really care if you like King or not. I was hoping you could help me find some horror books to read.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Stephen King is pretty chill and a guy I'd like to share a non-alcoholic drink with

also lol if you don't know who Nick Cave is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

facebook jihad posted:

Stephen King is pretty chill and a guy I'd like to share a non-alcoholic drink with

He's totally awesome and does his business around town and talks to everyone and shops at the mall and the grocery store, etc.

Also, since I grew up in part in Maine and lived in most of the places he writes about, it's like having a personal author - the best selling one ever?

It's cooler than cool when King is writing literally about the town down the road (Salem's Lot is set for real in Cumberland, ME).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

facebook jihad posted:

Who the gently caress is nick cave?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i liked cell including the ending lol i thought ut was a neat idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Who the gently caress is nick cave?

A musician who did loads of drugs and made great music on them, then stopped doing drugs and writes songs in an office he rents 9-5 Monday to Friday now. The first post-drug abuse album was poo poo but they've been very good since

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Professor Shark posted:

LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD LONGER THAN YOU THINK!

Yeah for some reason the idea of that has always stuck with me.

His ability to create verisimilitude of ordinary middle class life has always been kind of impressive.

Also The Stand is really one of the great end-of-the-world books despite all the religious nonsense.

Plus he actually tried to play a Humorous Hayseed in a movie. I don't notice that on Hemingway's or Pynchon's resumes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

A musician who did loads of drugs and made great music on them, then stopped doing drugs and writes songs in an office he rents 9-5 Monday to Friday now. The first post-drug abuse album was poo poo but they've been very good since

So he's not as cool as Andrew W.K.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't know much about Andrew W.K. so I'll defer to your judgment. He did write a book about date raping Avril Lavigne though which is nice.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The Shining (the book) is legitimately amazing/scary.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

I don't know much about Andrew W.K. so I'll defer to your judgment. He did write a book about date raping Avril Lavigne though which is nice.

That isn't nice. It's horrible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I just finished Dr. Sleep. Meh.

It's really about AA, I think.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He looks like he sells crack to the Antichrist so I guess he has a look to live up to. He also wrote a duet for Kylie Minogue about killing the woman you're in love with. She sang it with him though, so I guess he is not all bad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

P. much everything about IT makes way more sense once you know he wrote the book over the course of a single 6 month booze-and-cocaine fueled bender.

The Derry Interlude parts hold up best, but for the gist of the story I'd just watch the miniseries. You get to see Tim Curry as an evil flesh eating clown which I think we can all agree is pretty sweet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
what does that have to do with Steven King?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
the gunslinger books are all boring af qtiyd

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ilikedirt posted:

the gunslinger books are all boring af qtiyd

the first two are great! After that. Fight as you will. I might be there.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Pennywise the clown was really a spider.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Everything's Eventual is entertaining as gently caress

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
whoever it was that posted you don't enjoy the ending that much but it doesn't matter because you had fun getting there earlier itt was right and did a good job with that post

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

jackyl posted:

whoever it was that posted you don't enjoy the ending that much but it doesn't matter because you had fun getting there earlier itt was right and did a good job with that post

lots of words that mean nothing. Jackyl! my friends!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

lots of words that mean nothing. Jackyl! my friends!

and nothing of value was lost?!?!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

jackyl posted:

and nothing of value was lost?!?!

True.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

He's a hack that was able to reproduce a living dynasty of profitable authors. Let's see anyone on the forums try that.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
What two or three books are widely considered some of his best work by his fans?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

the short stories, they short enough that he doesn't get enough time to write an orgy into it, usually.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Amarcarts posted:

What two or three books are widely considered some of his best work by his fans?

I'd go Misery, The Stand, and then maybe a short story collection - say, maybe Night Shift because he's often a lot better in short form.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like the Langoliers,

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
11/22/63 was great. Most of the rest of his modern stuff sucks.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Disconnecticus posted:

I'd go Misery, The Stand, and then maybe a short story collection - say, maybe Night Shift because he's often a lot better in short form.

Night Shift is loving terrific. King was young, driven, and in full-on rock 'n roll horror mode.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i read black house recently and it was pretty bad. protagonist is a rogue cop with a devil may care attitude. had a magical blind guy as well as magical insane people. the bad guy is an elderly pedophile cannibal who loves buttcheeks. a demon gets killed with a magical baseball bat. actually, that last part is cool. the rest of it sucked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rasmussen posted:

I've never read a Stephen King book. I read some Dean Koontz when I was a kid, they were okay I guess.

Amarcarts posted:

The Bachman Books - 4 novellas including The Running Man & The Long Walk
Skeleton Crew - short stories. Army men come alive to kill a hitman, shipwrecked doctor on barren island with only medical kit and pounds of heroin, etc
Night Shift - more of the above, only need 20 pages to tell a tale.

The Running man if had to pick just one story.

nimh fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread