Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Stephen King is a decent writer. He just can't write endings.

you know who this is even more true for? neal stephenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Stephen King is a decent writer. He just can't write endings.

THIS!

I still enjoy him

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

THIS!

I still enjoy him

The running man had a great ending. So great it'll never be made into a movie.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nimh posted:

The running man had a great ending. So great it'll never be made into a movie.

He has his exceptions. Personally I enjoyed the nebulous ending of the shining, even the mist to an extent. The average, hell, better than the average, he can't write and ending to save his life.

Edit: you may being sarcastic?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

He has his exceptions. Personally I enjoyed the nebulous ending of the shining, even the mist to an extent. The average, hell, better than the average, he can't write and ending to save his life.

he made it into a reality. Steven King did 9-11

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

No, you're right. Probably why my 3 book recommendation are all short story collections.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

the first two are great! After that. Fight as you will. I might be there.
The unrevised Gunslinger is a fever dream.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

he made it into a reality. Steven King did 9-11

I've never read it. Good god man. :cripes: seriously?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dean of Swing posted:

The unrevised Gunslinger is a fever dream.

better fever dream than you ever had.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

At the end of The Running Man, the protagonist flew a plane into the largest building he could find.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Read it, it wont take long at all. Forget the arnie movie. The adaptation is as removed as the Lawnmower Man, which was about 10 pages and a demon made a lawnmower run over someone, that's it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:suicide:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

King did 9-11 25 years before it was cool

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
it's true, he 9-11ed the tallest skyscraper with two middle fingers flying high (lol)

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

At least he's better than Koontz.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I always liked Insomnia. Its pretty average, but I always found it a compelling read.

Also, The Regulators and Desperation. Same story, same characters, shake and pour into two glasses. Again a bit average, but really interesting to read two slightly different versions of the same story.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Wolves of Call, and Songs of Susanna sucked, but The Dark Tower was an ok book. Bringing himself into his story was stupid, but, he saw death, and wanted to end his story. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Minus 001 and COUNTING

Now the jet cruised across the canal, seemingly held up by the hand of God, giant, roaring. A Push freak in a doorway stared up and thought he was seeing a hallucination, the last dope dream, come to take him away, perhaps to General Atomics heaven where all the food was free and all the piles were clean breeders.

The sound of its engines drove people into doorways, their faces craning upwards like pale flames. Glass show-windows jingled and fell inward. Gutter litter was sucked down bowling-alley streets in dervishes. A cop dropped his move-along and wrapped his hands around his head and screamed and could not hear himself.

The plane was still dropping and now it moved over rooftops like a cruising silver bat; the starboard wingtip missed the side of the Glamour Column Store by a bare twelve feet.

All over Herding, Free-Vees went white with interference and people stared at them with stupid, fearful incredulity.

The thunder filled the world.

Killian looked up from his desk and stared into the wall-to-wall window that formed one entire side of the room.

The twinkling vista of the city, from South City to Crescent, was gone. The entire window was filled with an oncoming Lockheed TriStar jet. Its running lights blinked on and off, and for just a moment, an insane moment of total surprise and horror and disbelief, he could see Richards staring out at him. His face smeared with blood, his black eyes burning like the eyes of a demon.

Richards was grinning.

And giving him the finger.

"-Jesus-" was all Killian had time to get out.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
it rained fire twenty blocks away

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
the mangler was an awful movie but goddamn if the ending of the short story didnt give me the chills

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MMOs & Welfare posted:

the mangler was an awful movie but goddamn if the ending of the short story didnt give me the chills

nothing like a 9th dan black belt demon infected clothes washer

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Tane is a pain and that is the truth

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I think the Pet Semetery book is scarier than the movie except for Zelda. Zelda was much scarier in the movie.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I think the Pet Semetery book is scarier than the movie except for Zelda. Zelda was much scarier in the movie.

the parts about the wendigo were legit spooky

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Its too bad he quit drinking

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Hasn't Mr. King basically admitted that his writing, while prolific, is garbage tier pulp? Like, he understands his audience wants a quick story and doesn't care much about themes or depth, and he's raking in poo poo-tons of money that fuels his boozing and life for him basically owns?

Peeps sounding pretty jelly up in here.

Booze for the scary booze god.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MMOs & Welfare posted:

the parts about the wendigo were legit spooky

Yeah they were. Never even saw the thing, but it broke the branches for lewis when he was taking gage to the burial place. Lewis could hear it, and it scared him, but he didn't stop.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Roki B posted:

Hasn't Mr. King basically admitted that his writing, while prolific, is garbage tier pulp? Like, he understands his audience wants a quick story and doesn't care much about themes or depth, and he's raking in poo poo-tons of money that fuels his boozing and life for him basically owns?

Peeps sounding pretty jelly up in here.

Booze for the scary booze god.

rather read a good story told poorly than a bad tale told well.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Also :lol::lol::lol::lol: at anybody who has ever actually had any sort of physical fear response from reading a book. Its a book. Its ink on papyrus for fucks sake.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MMOs & Welfare posted:

what is that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Roki B posted:

Also :lol::lol::lol::lol: at anybody who has ever actually had any sort of physical fear response from reading a book. Its a book. Its ink on papyrus for fucks sake.

sorry you have no imagination.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

what is that

20 or so page story out of night shift about a possessed laundry press. From that book, lawnmower man, children of the corn, maximum overdrive and graveyard shift and others were also adapted.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

nimh posted:

20 or so page story out of night shift about a possessed laundry press. From that book, lawnmower man, children of the corn, maximum overdrive and graveyard shift and others were also adapted.

no i meant the ending what is the ending

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
My favorite King story is "The Raft"

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Internetjack posted:

I always liked Insomnia. Its pretty average, but I always found it a compelling read.

Also, The Regulators and Desperation. Same story, same characters, shake and pour into two glasses. Again a bit average, but really interesting to read two slightly different versions of the same story.

I liked Insomnia and it's pretty good in terms of tie-ins but again, the ending is incredible in a bad way.

Now then, I read The Regulators like 6 months ago, and maybe it has been too long since I've read Desperation, but what the poo poo are you talking about? The stories are almost nothing alike aside from the antagonist who is ambiguous enough that it's just a nod. The biggest connection is the cover art for both books making a big mural.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roki B posted:

im glad you take pride in youre lack of emotion. its v good not to feel. must be fun as hell. oh wait

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
insomnia was particularly weird. psychic elderly people doing battle with psychic midgets, bad guy is a floating lobster at one point. whole thing reads like it was written by somebody with a high fever

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

no i meant the ending what is the ending

You could have finished it and a bunch of others by now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
is he the one that filmed the dino documentary, or the one that said you cant get pregnant from legitimate rape

i mix the two up so often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

nimh posted:

You could have finished it and a bunch of others by now.

gently caress you i wont do what you tell me

• Locked thread