Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Btw I'm quitting UberX and applying at Uber corporate. Tanks for the memories.

I understand my life is unlikely to improve, but I will become somewhat less likely to be sued for millions of dollars. Probably only somewhat.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

agarjogger posted:

Btw I'm quitting UberX and applying at Uber corporate. Tanks for the memories.

I understand my life is unlikely to improve, but I will become somewhat less likely to be sued for millions of dollars. Probably only somewhat.

Were you one of those Uber guys who was fake requesting Lyft drivers?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/11/technology/uber-fake-ride-requests-lyft/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Does Uber cover damage to the car done by passengers? For example that oft cited instance of a passenger stabbing a seat with a pen, would Uber reimburse the driver for that?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Does Uber cover damage to the car done by passengers? For example that oft cited instance of a passenger stabbing a seat with a pen, would Uber reimburse the driver for that?

Uber is actually very good about sending you a few hundred dollars for "messes". You snap a picture and it gets deposited pretty quick. I don't know if that covers damage to upholstery or interior. A passenger scraped the bottom of my door on a curb. No damage done, they might send me some bucks for a bottle of touch-up paint if I asked.

If anyone's still considering this, I'd hesitate even more than usual. They (uber and Lyft) just keep slashing fares to breathtaking levels. Uber wants to be price competitive with loving public transport, and it's not sustainable, and they're not going to be able to undo these fare slashes. The regular dudes in the nice cars were a trap, a loss leader. The services are going to be nothing but cabbies soon enough.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 24, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cabbies are not regular dudes?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Cabbies are not regular dudes?

By "regular dudes" I assume Agarjogger meant "white people."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I think I may be trolling, sometimes. Like I don't try to, but..

Part-timers replaced with full-timers. Full-timers have poo poo enough margins that they can't give anything away. They have poo poo enough passengers that they can't be nice. So, cabbies.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 24, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

agarjogger posted:

I think I may be trolling, sometimes. Like I don't try to, but..

Part-timers replaced with full-timers. Full-timers have poo poo enough margins that they can't give anything away. They have poo poo enough passengers that they can't be nice. So, cabbies.

So you're saying that to he sustainable and competitive, transportation services need to have razor thin profit margins, and that may have an impact on customer services? :aaa:

And the only way part timers would have better margins than full timers is if they were using another income source to subsidize their Uber stuff. It's as if the Uber model wasn't sustainable.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

It's as if the Uber model wasn't sustainable.

I have a theory that 99% of tech startups are elaborate cons to rip off VCs.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

posh spaz posted:

I have a theory that 99% of tech startups are elaborate cons to rip off VCs.

VC is just as complicit. They don't really believe in half of what they do anyhow but the risks v. payoff make it lucrative and no less idiotic than their alternative which is the trade of existing assets which can be bolstered greatly by startup/ipo mania.

Welcome to a non-production based economy which is all about sticking your hand into the other guy's pocket.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Going to be so hilarious when these companies "disrupt" themselves all the way to bankruptcy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fruition posted:

Going to be so hilarious when these companies "disrupt" themselves all the way to bankruptcy.

The founders may shed a tear or two while counting their millions before moving onto their next startup.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

canyoneer posted:

The founders may shed a tear or two while counting their millions before moving onto their next startup.

Yeah. The current environment of business is to reward the illogical poo poo out of risk taking. Those guys will never want for a job as long as those that really matter can get cashed out before the whole thing falls apart. Every time I see Steve Case's face I am more convinced of this.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anybody still following this shitshow? UberX rates have been cut by 50% across the US board since a year ago. The job went from “vaguely worth the risk [?]” to “you have fallen victim to a pyramid scheme, can we offer you blankets and hot cocoa”. Veteran drivers report that their all-inclusive cost of driving is roughly a dollar a mile. Fares are now.. roughly a dollar a mile. Base is nothing, time is nothing. Uber’s take continues to creep upward from 20%-25% as investors begin to expect an $18B company to make money on a quarterly basis.

UberX just launched in Las Vegas. They have a law team on the ground to handle drivers’ $10,000 tickets, of which many have been given out in the first few days of operation.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

agarjogger posted:

Anybody still following this shitshow? UberX rates have been cut by 50% across the US board since a year ago. The job went from “vaguely worth the risk [?]” to “you have fallen victim to a pyramid scheme, can we offer you blankets and hot cocoa”. Veteran drivers report that their all-inclusive cost of driving is roughly a dollar a mile. Fares are now.. roughly a dollar a mile. Base is nothing, time is nothing. Uber’s take continues to creep upward from 20%-25% as investors begin to expect an $18B company to make money on a quarterly basis.

UberX just launched in Las Vegas. They have a law team on the ground to handle drivers’ $10,000 tickets, of which many have been given out in the first few days of operation.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/10/26/uber-philadelphia-uberx-ppa-sting-impounds/

UberX launched in Philadelphia, defying a direct order not to do so. Philadelphia Parking Authority, which is responsible for licensing taxis in the city, impounded 5 UberX cars and cited the drivers $1,000 apiece. Uber said they would cover the citations.

I did not know that rates had fallen even further. I was already on the fence about being a driver, leaning against it. No way I would do it now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It does seem odd that they're driving rates so low. Seems like they could end up with the dregs as drivers, which would push customers elsewhere.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Cicero posted:

It does seem odd that they're driving rates so low. Seems like they could end up with the dregs as drivers, which would push customers elsewhere.

I have a couple theories.
1. they want only part-time drivers. Ones who are not doing rigorous accounting, drive only on weekends/surge events, do the job for reasons other than checks, will never protest Uber policies.
2. they want only new drivers, and think they can onboard drivers fast enough to replace the vets who have learned which hours are unprofitable (almost all of them), and now only rarely log in.

At current rates, it is probably not possible to make a living doing Uber. By "a living", I mean a reliable poverty wage for a household of one. Few minimum wage jobs come with the massive costs and liability of choosing to operate your personal vehicle as an uber. Since these policies are intentional and carefully thought out, I have to imagine Uber wants to get rid of its veteran laborforce as soon as possible. Replace the 1099's with temps, replace the temps with interns. Replace the interns with robots, eventually. If this is Uber's plan, it will all implode without a doubt, probably in the next year and a half.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

agarjogger posted:

I have a couple theories.
1. they want only part-time drivers. Ones who are not doing rigorous accounting, drive only on weekends/surge events, do the job for reasons other than checks, will never protest Uber policies.
2. they want only new drivers, and think they can onboard drivers fast enough to replace the vets who have learned which hours are unprofitable (almost all of them), and now only rarely log in.

At current rates, it is probably not possible to make a living doing Uber. By "a living", I mean a reliable poverty wage for a household of one. Few minimum wage jobs come with the massive costs and liability of choosing to operate your personal vehicle as an uber. Since these policies are intentional and carefully thought out, I have to imagine Uber wants to get rid of its veteran laborforce as soon as possible. Replace the 1099's with temps, replace the temps with interns. Replace the interns with robots, eventually. If this is Uber's plan, it will all implode without a doubt, probably in the next year and a half.

Doing all of those things to drive their prices and costs/corporate liability as low as possible all at the same time makes very good business sense (and of course and end run around the exact reasons why livery is regulated in the first place)

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
lol @ all the uber hate here. it's a great service, sorry.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah. I don't get it either. As a rider its awesome.

As a driver whose put in 20 hours driving, it's awesome. For driving, it's all about the surge. I'm not going to quit my day job for it, but I made $750 last week driving during an SEC football weekend. I put in about 10 or 11 hours. Granted, they were shifty hours, but I was up anyways. Uber pays for insurance, if it's not good enough for you, whatever, don't drive.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dead Pressed posted:

Yeah. I don't get it either. As a rider its awesome.

As a driver whose put in 20 hours driving, it's awesome. For driving, it's all about the surge. I'm not going to quit my day job for it, but I made $750 last week driving during an SEC football weekend. I put in about 10 or 11 hours. Granted, they were shifty hours, but I was up anyways. Uber pays for insurance, if it's not good enough for you, whatever, don't drive.

Uber keeps dropping their prices because they have so many drivers set up that they have to in order to have any demand at all. Early adopting drivers seem to be pissed about this. Customers, on the other hand, don't hate it so much.

The point is to put pressure on drivers. That was always the point. Just the first drivers were cab drivers. Now it's the inefficient Uber drivers.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

Uber keeps dropping their prices because they have so many drivers set up that they have to in order to have any demand at all. Early adopting drivers seem to be pissed about this. Customers, on the other hand, don't hate it so much.

The point is to put pressure on drivers. That was always the point. Just the first drivers were cab drivers. Now it's the inefficient Uber drivers.

Would you mind rewriting this post in American loving English.
Does pressure mean poverty and desperation? Does inefficient mean “doesn’t piss in a baggie and toss it out the window”?

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 30, 2014

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Reminder that Uber's CEO has said multiple times that he wants to replace the driver fleet with self driving cars: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/28/5758734/uber-will-eventually-replace-all-its-drivers-with-self-driving-cars

There's no future in this for the drivers.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

interrodactyl posted:

Reminder that Uber's CEO has said multiple times that he wants to replace the driver fleet with self driving cars: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/28/5758734/uber-will-eventually-replace-all-its-drivers-with-self-driving-cars

I would say that's true about most human driven transportation. Especially truck drivers.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

interrodactyl posted:

I don't think the average Uber driver sees this as their lifelong career. Self-driving cars as a commonplace commercial enterprise is many, many years away.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TLG James posted:

I would say that's true about most human driven transportation. Especially truck drivers.

I dunno, even if they got to the point of being able t do that, one benefits to having a real person in a truck that would be hard to replicate is that if something breaks the driver can usually limp it home, or at least do some roadside repair to limp it home.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rudager posted:

I dunno, even if they got to the point of being able t do that, one benefits to having a real person in a truck that would be hard to replicate is that if something breaks the driver can usually limp it home, or at least do some roadside repair to limp it home.
It'd be way cheaper to have everything automated by default and just dispatch a specialized repairperson to repair trucks in the case where they break down.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

Anyone who wants to rely in uber for their livelihood is already in a dire career circumstance.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cicero posted:

It'd be way cheaper to have everything automated by default and just dispatch a specialized repairperson to repair trucks in the case where they break down.

That and preventative maintenance would definitely be cheaper than having a driver in each car. Think about it this way, if the only reason to have a driver is in case something break down... It'd be more logical to have one guy on stand by for every 20 cars or whatever, depending on your mean time between failure / utilization rate.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
And if we're talking cabs or trucks, they're usually towed back to a repair shop anyway. Drivers do more damage than good. My friends family owns a multistate long haul company and they forbid their drivers from touching the mechanicals.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Having a car which can pick up passengers in the city will arrive five years after the car which can safely navigate the city, which will arrive five years after the car which can hold a straight line on the freeway. Uber will not be around to exploit the driverless car.

Just making the connection between passenger and driver is a nightmare enough with a human brain.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Fyi there are tons of driverless cars in beta on the road all over America today. They're pretty drat good.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

SiGmA_X posted:

Fyi there are tons of driverless cars in beta on the road all over America today. They're pretty drat good.

We should ban them now before they take away are profits!

Driverless cars our stealing are jerbs!!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

They can't handle rain or snow.

That is a problem.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Unless the company is called Johnny Cab I am not getting in one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I distrust humans as much as robots so I am indifferent to the OS of my death cab.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I distrust humans as much as robots so I am indifferent to the OS of my death cab.

I can't wait for the day they merge AI and YOSPOS.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

FrozenVent posted:

I can't wait for the day they merge AI and YOSPOS.

Skynet will not be happy about that...

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

This weekend was both Halloween and Formula One here in Austin. Downs of mine said on a Facebook thread they paid $200-408 for Uber rides home from downtown :eyepop: because "it was better than getting a DWI (true) out waiting and fighting for a taxi."

Jesus Christ, it is impossible to have fun without drinking or working out a ride with a friend ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

This weekend was both Halloween and Formula One here in Austin. Downs of mine said on a Facebook thread they paid $200-408 for Uber rides home from downtown :eyepop: because "it was better than getting a DWI (true) out waiting and fighting for a taxi."

Jesus Christ, it is impossible to have fun without drinking or working out a ride with a friend ahead of time.

Lots of passengers are bitching and getting their rates changed to a number they like better (lower, lower number is better so you can take more uber, or perhaps get more shitfaced). Uber is a human loving right, no matter if 2 million other people all want to go out and get shitfaced on the same night as you and at all the same places.

Don’t drive uber, you’ll absolutely come to despise people. By all means, steal back money from the immigrant who clears $11/hour and risks arrest and impound when he takes you to the airport.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread