Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rkajdi posted:

We do display for a few things (gasoline, movie theaters), but in general we don't include sales tax into the price of things. I think it's messed up since it helps out regressive southern hellholes (who fund themselves through sales taxes instead of income taxes) since it makes your prices seem similar when you're actually paying 1-2% extra.

Of the seven states that don't charge income tax, only two of them were part of the former confederacy (and none of the others existed when the Civil War first started).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

Of the seven states that don't charge income tax, only two of them were part of the former confederacy (and none of the others existed when the Civil War first started).

It's not just having zero income taxes, it's also having low ones. Either way places the burden of funding the state on the poor. Southern states are heavier users of sales taxes, as shown by this map:

Also, being in the Confederacy is sufficient but not necessary to be a Southern state. You would consider WV to be Southern, correct?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rkajdi posted:

It's not just having zero income taxes, it's also having low ones. Either way places the burden of funding the state on the poor. Southern states are heavier users of sales taxes, as shown by this map:

Also, being in the Confederacy is sufficient but not necessary to be a Southern state. You would consider WV to be Southern, correct?

I don't see a clear geographic trend at all, there are darker states all over and lighter states all over.

It's also funny you bring up West Virginia because they have one of the lowest sales tax rates per your map (Virginia, an "actual" southern state, is in the bottom 10).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

I don't see a clear geographic trend at all, there are darker states all over and lighter states all over.

It's also funny you bring up West Virginia because they have one of the lowest sales tax rates per your map (Virginia, an "actual" southern state, is in the bottom 10).

Huh? VA has 5.62% and WV 6.04%, so VA is lower than WV though, yeah, both are relatively low. Both are much lower than the 19% I pay :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

Huh? VA has 5.62% and WV 6.04%, so VA is lower than WV though, yeah, both are relatively low. Both are much lower than the 19% I pay :v:

Yeah but if you're Canadian you likely pay less in fees and income tax.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah but if you're Canadian you likely pay less in fees and income tax.

Wrong side of the ocean :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not just that taxes are different per state, they're different per county (and sometimes by city).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

It's not just that taxes are different per state, they're different per county (and sometimes by city).

Hermit Kingdom.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The anecdote on the last page about innumeracy leading consumers to believe a 1/4 pound burger had more meat than a 1/3 pound is exactly the problem common core standards seek to address. The CCSS focus much more on making practical connections between real life and math, and heuristics to promote those connections, rather than series of algorithms. So kids spend more time comparing visual, concrete representations of fractions than they do simplifying fractions, for example.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JeffersonClay posted:

The anecdote on the last page about innumeracy leading consumers to believe a 1/4 pound burger had more meat than a 1/3 pound is exactly the problem common core standards seek to address. The CCSS focus much more on making practical connections between real life and math, and heuristics to promote those connections, rather than series of algorithms. So kids spend more time comparing visual, concrete representations of fractions than they do simplifying fractions, for example.

Or you could just convert everything to decimal. :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Like any civilised and most uncivilised countries :wotwot:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
A an English Language Arts teacher who is nearing the end of his student teaching experience, I can tell you that there's not particularly anything wrong with the CC guidelines itself, which are essentially goalposts for lessons which say things like "Standard #8: Students should know literary themes and symbols", ect. Rather, the problem lies the fact that it's trying to accomplish such a broad goal with absolutely no regard for the fact that our school system is not the same across the board. It's easy enough to say "today, I'm going to teach metaphor!" but quite hard when you come into a 10th grade class in inner-city Cleveland and 80% of the students do not know what a "literary device" even is or how to identify one.

I do have to say this, though, in regards to the CC putting undue pressure on teachers (and don't crucify me for it): nobody's going to question you if you say "we studied metaphor and everyone learned lots today, okay? Really, we did!" on a lesson plan and in reality the lesson went horribly due to extraneous factors, especially in schools like the one I described. If the lesson went wrong, figure out what went wrong so you can retool it the next day. I do think it's a bit of an overreaction here. People aren't going to be fired over Common Core and in reality very little will change. What we need to do is focus on broad educational reform for minority students and until we stop failing them in every way possible, this and every other effort to change the system is utterly useless.

Our white/middle-class students are doing perfectly fine. It's not them I'm concerned about; it's everyone else.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2014

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

School reform is ridiculous bullshit. Those students are failing because they are poor. If being poor weren't so horrendous they would do better.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

computer parts posted:

Then you have people thinking that half a kilogram is heavier than a full kilogram. Look, there's a five in it!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

School reform is ridiculous bullshit. Those students are failing because they are poor. If being poor weren't so horrendous they would do better.

A few years ago I had a faculty meeting where our principal handed out some "research" that purported to show that children's socioeconomic status had almost no effect on their performance in school and in fact the clearest indicator of student success was the teacher's questioning technique.

Yes, that's right, my student who literally lived in the loving woods in a tent and cooked food on sticks over fire wasn't doing poorly due to the lack of shelter and any sort of stability whatsoever in his life, it was that I was giving non-specific praise in class!

Of course the entire faculty straight-up started laughing at how completely ridiculous this was. My principal began trying to argue that gee golly that's the research right here until your eagle-eyed correspondent did a quick Google search and found out the author of the research works for a company that, wouldn't you loving know it, just happens to sell the quick fix to all problems, a bunch of insanely expensive poo poo about questioning techniques! For the low low price of eight or nine thousand dollars a year, all those pesky problems we teachers have identified ("This kid has almost no shot, mom's a druggie with no control or actual care or concern, dad's not in the picture, they're living out of a loving motel, he's been level 1 math and reading his entire life, he only owns one pair of pants and one pair of shoes and the cops keep picking him up wandering the streets at 2 AM on weekdays") will just... sort of... fix themselves once the teacher knows how to correctly ask an effective question!

This is the same poo poo that has happened to Common Core. Now it's a marketing label used by the educational "stuff" industry to sell schools the same giant catfish they've been sold over and over again, but now it has a new sticker on it that says, "Common Core Compatible!"

The unbelievable speed with which Common Core became a political hot potato is scary. Even something as simple as, "3rd graders should know how to do single-digit multiplication by the end of the year" is now a reason to fight to the loving death against THE TYRANT OBAMA and his CZARS trying to INDOCTRINATE OUR CHILDREN. This same poo poo said completely unironically, mind you, by people who then say things like, "Hey Duane we gotta run, we gotta head to church, it's little Sally's youth group night and I really think that by age four all the kids in America ought to know about our Lord and Savior's violent, prolonged death and terrifying rise from the grave."

I talked to a friendly, intelligent gentleman a few days ago who literally thought Common Core meant kids had to wear dashikis to school while barking prayers to Allah at the loving moon and fingering each other. When I pointed out that all it actually is is a set of national standards, the dude looked straight-up shocked.

"Well... I've heard differently!"

"Sorry brother, that's not what you've heard, it's what you've been sold. Did you happen to hear any of this crazy dashiki-wearing poo poo from, oh, say, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, or Bill O'Reilly?"

"You know, come to think of it..."

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

A few years ago I had a faculty meeting where our principal handed out some "research" that purported to show that children's socioeconomic status had almost no effect on their performance in school and in fact the clearest indicator of student success was the teacher's questioning technique.

Yes, that's right, my student who literally lived in the loving woods in a tent and cooked food on sticks over fire wasn't doing poorly due to the lack of shelter and any sort of stability whatsoever in his life, it was that I was giving non-specific praise in class!

Of course the entire faculty straight-up started laughing at how completely ridiculous this was. My principal began trying to argue that gee golly that's the research right here until your eagle-eyed correspondent did a quick Google search and found out the author of the research works for a company that, wouldn't you loving know it, just happens to sell the quick fix to all problems, a bunch of insanely expensive poo poo about questioning techniques! For the low low price of eight or nine thousand dollars a year, all those pesky problems we teachers have identified ("This kid has almost no shot, mom's a druggie with no control or actual care or concern, dad's not in the picture, they're living out of a loving motel, he's been level 1 math and reading his entire life, he only owns one pair of pants and one pair of shoes and the cops keep picking him up wandering the streets at 2 AM on weekdays") will just... sort of... fix themselves once the teacher knows how to correctly ask an effective question!

This is the same poo poo that has happened to Common Core. Now it's a marketing label used by the educational "stuff" industry to sell schools the same giant catfish they've been sold over and over again, but now it has a new sticker on it that says, "Common Core Compatible!"

The unbelievable speed with which Common Core became a political hot potato is scary. Even something as simple as, "3rd graders should know how to do single-digit multiplication by the end of the year" is now a reason to fight to the loving death against THE TYRANT OBAMA and his CZARS trying to INDOCTRINATE OUR CHILDREN. This same poo poo said completely unironically, mind you, by people who then say things like, "Hey Duane we gotta run, we gotta head to church, it's little Sally's youth group night and I really think that by age four all the kids in America ought to know about our Lord and Savior's violent, prolonged death and terrifying rise from the grave."

I talked to a friendly, intelligent gentleman a few days ago who literally thought Common Core meant kids had to wear dashikis to school while barking prayers to Allah at the loving moon and fingering each other. When I pointed out that all it actually is is a set of national standards, the dude looked straight-up shocked.

"Well... I've heard differently!"

"Sorry brother, that's not what you've heard, it's what you've been sold. Did you happen to hear any of this crazy dashiki-wearing poo poo from, oh, say, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, or Bill O'Reilly?"

"You know, come to think of it..."

And this is why we'll never accomplish anything until these people get drowned out and we start having honest, open conversations about educating impoverished/minority students. It makes me want to rip my hair out when I hear other teachers say such ignorant things as "I don't see color" or "All students are on the same level to me". NO. Stop. All students are not on the same level and you as an instructor need to account for that.

I don't think we're hosed, but we certainly aren't getting any better. I don't profess to have the answers but I do know that the Common Core is a bit of a red herring for both sides of the debate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

Of course the entire faculty straight-up started laughing at how completely ridiculous this was. My principal began trying to argue that gee golly that's the research right here until your eagle-eyed correspondent did a quick Google search and found out the author of the research works for a company that, wouldn't you loving know it, just happens to sell the quick fix to all problems, a bunch of insanely expensive poo poo about questioning techniques! For the low low price of eight or nine thousand dollars a year,

That is pretty low considering an EVAAS license runs about 2-3 million/yr and the guy who developed it basically runs the same hustle.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Bad argument for the common core: It will fix the american educational system.
Good argument for the common core: It will promote better classroom instruction than current standards.

Good argument against the common core: It's a distraction from the most important issues impacting education in America-- Poverty and racism.
Bad arguments against the common core: It doesn't matter how you teach poor kids they won't learn anyway/ federal guvermint!/ let teachers teach whatever/however they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I don't even care about common core. Common core is probably a good idea. What I really hate is the infantalization of teachers, the removal of their protections as workers, and charters.

• Locked thread