Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUitqk0QFOE

This practice room activity would have suited the second stream quite fine. Controlling NES via melons.

Specifically DXTR beating Ninja Gaiden this way.

Right now Tompa's got a TAS tutorial on the yellow stream: http://www.europeanspeedsterassembly.com/

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombad
Oct 21, 2010
I had no idea that Tomb Raider 2013 was that broken. That stuff is insane.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tombad posted:

I had no idea that Tomb Raider 2013 was that broken. That stuff is insane.
"The fast way down" on screen... proceeds to fall out of the world

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This Dark Souls run is hilarious.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is there anywhere that's keeping track of the VOD links for each run, like in the other marathons? I can find ones for SGDQ and the Speedruns Central marathon earlier this month, but not for this one.

E: VVV Thanks, I should have tried searching for ESA2014 rather than just the full title.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2014

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2by5nh/esa2014_vods_thread/

e: actually that one is not complete?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thankfully we're only about half an hour past estimate.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Noobest is having one hell of an off day.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
The whole game took me about 60 hours, not 2, and I had real gear, but I beat Gywn on my first try. Just saying. Poor dude.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I can't remember the last time Noobest play Dark Souls 1

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
This sure is an amazing lets play.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
2:27:26.68 new WR for Marathon Derailment Dark Souls%

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
How are they picking the tweets on-screen between games? There was one yesterday firing a shot at GDQs, and then another one making fun of Noobest immediately after he finished. Seems like bad form.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

AP knows Noobest so I think it was out of love, but I also want to say it's automated since it's also posting passive aggressive tweets against ESA.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Twelve hours of the yellow stream, and now I do not want speedrun marathons without it. A cozy little room for the lower profile, rare titles, catching up on events, TAS stuff, interviews. That was a fine BG&E and I'm very happy about this cozy comfy thing.

(I sent a message along that audio sometimes need a check with donation reader volume and EQ-ing voices to not be inaudible muddy 99% low 1% mid frequency business.)

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I guess that Eternal Darkness run was a World Record even though he died against the final boss. What? I suppose it's just not a heavily speed ran game or something.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

About to play Umihara Kawase on the blue stream, running low on energy. I'll make it work.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CVagts posted:

How are they picking the tweets on-screen between games? There was one yesterday firing a shot at GDQs, and then another one making fun of Noobest immediately after he finished. Seems like bad form.
Use hashtag #ESA2014 and find out!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

One-death run of that path holy poo poo

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

KennyMan666 posted:

One-death run of that path holy poo poo

Thanks for the runs! That game looks finicky as hell to control but you breezed through it. I also didn't know there was a DS port.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Watching Cloudbuilt on yellow stream makes me not want to play it because of how ludicrously dexterous I'd have to be to pull off beating these levels.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AccountingNightmare posted:

Thanks for the runs! That game looks finicky as hell to control but you breezed through it. I also didn't know there was a DS port.
Umihara Kawase is pretty much Learning Curve: The Game so yeah it's not actually easy to control (especially not when I'm used to DS Lite/3DSXL controls for it now but yeah only capture boards for DS Phat and 3DS regular and I am in no way, shape or form playing a d-pad-heavy game on an original model 3DS).

DS port has the definitive versions of both the original game and the sequel and is also region-free so yeah it's the version to get for anyone who wants to own the game.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Cloudbuilt the indie game really needs better level and character designs.

Great marathon so far, hope attendance keeps growing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hey can someone at ESA tell Chucat that I'm going to beat him up and bully him? Thanks.

Tombad
Oct 21, 2010
Beer - The Last Eichhof is amazing. Yellow stream has the best quirky stuff.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Tombad posted:

Beer - The Last Eichhof is amazing. Yellow stream has the best quirky stuff.

Holy poo poo someone is playing The Last Eichhof?

Gotta see this.

edit: I thought I'd never hear that name again. Brings back memories.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 29, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Digging the focus on the actual gaming, actually wishing one was there, and the shocking production quality instead of sobstories and constant donation readings every minute of every day but sheesh did people get that hard into debt over SGDQ?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
If you're calling donators relating stories of people dying of cancer "sob stories" you're a dick, just fyi.

Not sure if that's what you're doing, but either way. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

UraniumAnchor posted:

If you're calling donators relating stories of people dying of cancer "sob stories" you're a dick, just fyi.

Not sure if that's what you're doing, but either way. :v:

As a rough harsh sounding collective word summing up the experience of hearing them over and over and what nine out of ten people, including those with cancer in the family feel, but never dare saying out loud? Yes. My old man treats cancer like pokemon, he's like the alternate universe Tony Stark where the Iron Man suit is necessary because he's just a blob of tumors inside, we keep cheering him on.

e: Sorry, I should have phrased it better in its entirety. "Sob stories" pollute the airwaves during AGDQs. That is the opinion of more people than anyone can imagine. It's not nice to bring those opinions out, but there. And in relation that I wonder where the donors are, if the next ESA needs use a cancer foundation or the international heart&lung research to get donations coming in larger amounts.

Meanwhile, enough stuff happening in practiceroom #1 to make a third stream

https://twitter.com/PIPeJTV

aaaand this is why races are a must-have

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 29, 2014

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
I mean, people might have more incentive to donation if they had ANY clue what the charity was. I don't know how many times it's been mentioned on stream, but it's not indicated anywhere on the stream, and only in one line on the website that I had to actually dig to find. For all the average person knows, the charity could be some guy's pocketbook. The totals aren't shown anywhere accessible either, you have to actually go to the tracker.

I also find it hilarious that for all the bitching people did about SGDQ's audio, the host for ESA has been overwhelmingly louder than the players/game and it hasn't been fixed.

Edit: And the vods tab just redirects to the reddit thread? Pretty legit.

MURPHAGATOR! fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 30, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

I mean, people might have more incentive to donation if they had ANY clue what the charity was. I don't know how many times it's been mentioned on stream, but it's not indicated anywhere on the stream, and only in one line on the website that I had to actually dig to find. For all the average person knows, the charity could be some guy's pocketbook. The totals aren't shown anywhere accessible either, you have to actually go to the tracker.

I also find it hilarious that for all the bitching people did about SGDQ's audio, the host for ESA has been overwhelmingly louder than the players/game and it hasn't been fixed.

Echoing this, and also wondering if the donation readers are told not to read joke donations? Because I remember Mike Hunt and Ben Dover getting shoutouts during the Dark Souls run that went 45 minutes over estimate.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They also keep reading 1 dollar donations which seems pointless to me.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
ESA is not a charity marathon in the same way GDQ is. It does benefit a charity, but it's evolved into more of a casual speedrun/game event at heart. There's a good deal of experimentation going on this year, and overall ESA is still figuring out how to best balance charity fundraising, speedruns, and fruit/vegetable controllers.

There hasn't been a lot of guidance as far as MCing goes, so that's probably why you've been hearing inconsistencies with the donations being read. There's no regular audio bump between segments to promote the charity ala GDQ either, but again the event is not organized to pimp donations front and center.

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

I can't tell if you're being really nitpicky or saying it's a good thing. Either way, I'd like to see GDQ adopt that so it's easier for people to find vods during the marathon.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Different events with different goals and different ways of achieving those different goals. Don't start a dumb argument MrLonghair.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Man this is way better than any assembly I ever had, usually they just horded us into the auditorium so the teachers could do shots in the lounge.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUitqk0QFOE&feature=youtu.be

Dxtr beats NG1 with the power of fruit.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Max Payne part 2 got bumped again due to technical problems.

Four player Crystal Chronicles co-op is starting now instead. It's a pretty fun run to watch, and I'd recommend checking it out even if you usually skim past Final Fantasy in the schedule. It's a lot shorter than other main FF or crystal spin-off speedruns too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The donors really really want a runner to smell another runner.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm happy that they're playing the cutscenes for MM8, it's not near as good without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Vakal posted:

I wonder how long it will take before the cross-dressing breaks out this year.

Got my answer. Four days.

• Locked thread