Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i just saw lowtax's stickied post on "low content threads" and i think its time we addressed thread-shaming.

thread-shaming is a specific variety of ableism. it is not the only kind of shaming that takes place, but it is one of the more common ones. lots of folks think thread-shaming is perfectly acceptable. more than that, lots of folks think thread-shaming is actually a good thing, because with shame as a motivator, perhaps those darn low content posters will stop making low content threads.

it doesn’t work, though -- shame is not a catalyst for change; it is a paralytic. anyone who has ever carried extreme personal shame knows this. shame doesn’t make you stronger, nor does it help you to grow, or to be healthy, or to be sane. it keeps you in one place, very, very still.

the frequency with which thread-shaming happens means many low content posters go about their lives for years feeling constantly on guard, always prepared for someone to make a comment, to call them out. it doesn’t have to come from gbs, either; often the subforums and chat threads are just as likely to throw out careless thread-shaming comments, and not always with malicious intent.

if we want to stand in opposition to thread-shaming, we only need remember a few points:
- you can’t tell how smart someone is just by reading the op.
- you can’t tell how right they are just by looking at their wordcount.
- even if you could, it’s none of your business anyway.

the ability to value ourselves no matter what our threads look like is far more useful than broadening our capacity to be shamed. that’s my opinion as an unrepentant low content poster, anyway. but you come to your own conclusions. just don’t shame me for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
i shame all your threads because they are all terrible

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
No one could say this is a low content thread, unlimited shrimp, and I'm sure Lowtax is very appreciative. I'm insanely hungry for lunch

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Some Guy Thread-Shamed A Transgender Woman and Her Response Was Perfect

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
sorry, you're using the wrong terms. thread-shaming is making fun of someone for having low-quality sheets. the term you're looking for is "OP-shaming"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Watch a Hilarious Poster Shut Down People's Thread-Shaming Comments About OP

• Locked thread