Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rob Bironas is coming out of nowhere for how douchey he was before dying:

quote:

Two Belmont students say former Titans kicker Rob Bironas threatened to kill them and sideswipe the truck they were in before confronting a man and woman in another car and trying to run their vehicle off the road Saturday night. Minutes later, Bironas lost control of his SUV and died in a one-car crash.

Can he be post-posthumously nominated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

seiferguy posted:

I feel kind of bad nominating a guy who already paid dearly for his act of douchery. Hey may have acted the douche but he only hurt himself, and he hurt himself as much as life allows. Unless we find out this was regular behavior I say no.

How does Lane Kiffin keep finding work is what I want to know.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

As long as it isn't proven to be mental illness I'm down to vote him in. A douche is a douche and no douche is worse than a road douche.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

seiferguy posted:

Former player and I doubt we will ever know if it is mental illness. I am leaning towards no (also, I'll bet he would have faced charges had he survived).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Former player and I doubt we will ever know if it is mental illness. I am leaning towards no (also, I'll bet he would have faced charges had he survived).

Being a kicker, I doubt it was CTE, but something was wrong with that guy.

VVV That's what I'm saying, he was definitely going through something mentally, unless he's been the worlds most fortunate aggressive drunk for the last 15 years.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather keep Bironas out of this. While I agree that road rage (especially on that level) is douchebag as gently caress, this thing is supposed to be fun to at least some degree. I don't see the fun here when it comes to a guy who seems to have had some kind of really bad episode and ended up dead.

Chilichimp posted:

Being a kicker, I doubt it was CTE, but something was wrong with that guy.
I'm not a doctor and I don't know the guy at all, but situational depression IS a thing that exists. He lost his job in March and no one signed him for the 2014 season. No telling what was going on, but there doesn't seem to be any info anywhere about incidents before this year where his career and future were in doubt.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Ravens owner had a pretty douchy press conference, throwing Ray Rice and Goodell under the bus and contradicting himself a lot. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11570685/baltimore-ravens-owner-steve-bisciotti-says-espn-ray-rice-report-manufactured-rice-camp

James Harrison un-retires after 3 weeks to rejoin the Steelers. Low-level Brett Farve douchey so far but could lead to more headhunting? He also hit his g/f in 2008, who knows if there was more? http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11574299/james-harrison-signs-deal-return-pittsburgh-steelers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

I'd rather keep Bironas out of this. While I agree that road rage (especially on that level) is douchebag as gently caress, this thing is supposed to be fun to at least some degree.

Child abuse, domestic violence, and Sexual assault are supposed to be fun?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

Child abuse, domestic violence, and Sexual assault are supposed to be fun?

Lets say cathartic.

Also, didn't he die? Like... he's dead. No one else is hurt, just a few groups of people harassed by an irate truck driver in Tennessee? It seems douchey to vote to crown him king douche; man had a family.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Chilichimp posted:

Lets say cathartic.

Also, didn't he die? Like... he's dead. No one else is hurt, just a few groups of people harassed by an irate truck driver in Tennessee? It seems douchey to vote to crown him king douche; man had a family.

Ray Rice has a family

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Raku posted:

That doesn't sound like anything any other coach would do differently. If you're cleared by the team doctor, they expect you to play, and I don't see anything about the player not wanting to play either.

Sending someone out to play when they've been incorrectly cleared is one thing. Allegedly attempting to retract their scholarship after the player is seriously impaired after playing when they shouldn't have is something else entirely. It's the same thing as sending a freshly concussed NFL player back out onto the field and then completely cutting them from the team when they get paralyzed on the next play.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Zurreco posted:

Sending someone out to play when they've been incorrectly cleared is one thing. Allegedly attempting to retract their scholarship after the player is seriously impaired after playing when they shouldn't have is something else entirely. It's the same thing as sending a freshly concussed NFL player back out onto the field and then completely cutting them from the team when they get paralyzed on the next play.

He was a fifth year senior. It wasn't the football program trying to take away his scholarship.

EDIT: although I guess they were still sanctioned so they could have been trying to give it to another already-active player instead of a recruit.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chilichimp posted:

Lets say cathartic.

Ok yeah, cathartic is a better word.

And again yeah, Bironas died and didn't hurt anyone else. Even though he apparently tried to. I don't know, I just don't see the point in putting him in this. Other bigger douches that are still alive would knock him out of round 1 anyway.

The bigger question is where do we stand on Adrian Peterson. He is indicted and may still eventually serve jail time, but do we call him a douche? I think he's a douche.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Fenrir posted:

The bigger question is where do we stand on Adrian Peterson. He is indicted and may still eventually serve jail time, but do we call him a douche? I think he's a douche.

We will see what the result is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After some thought - yeah, Bironas kind of would be weird.

On the flip side, since Art Modell is in the HoF, Steve Bisciotti just seems like a perfect follow up with how awful the Ravens have handled the Ray Rice incident.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you don't think the Rob Bironas thing is funny, you didn't see somebody in N/V quote the crash photos and reply, simply, "wide right"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

If you don't think the Rob Bironas thing is funny, you didn't see somebody in N/V quote the crash photos and reply, simply, "wide right"

That's perfection.

<-- edit: Jesus... I'm gonna make Lowtax a fortune.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chilichimp posted:

That's perfection.

Good lord man who did you piss off

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

That's perfection.

:lol: owns.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

nevermind.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 24, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I asked in the Farthouse.

GNU Order posted:

Yeah but now that's done, there really isn't any more fun to be had with that... and really, the guy's dead. I'd just rather mock people who are still alive and can be a target of our mockery indefinitely. You know, like child beaters and wife beaters and all around lovely people and the NCAA and that loving rear end in a top hat who for some insane reason actually has a job as Arkansas head coach, you know, where there's been a TRAIN WRECK OF loving ASSHOLES FOR YEARS and... ugh, seriously let's just talk about douchebags ok?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Dillon Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfGUl89_OjI

Possibly Dan Mullen too (for enthusiastically defending him and crying over the SEC suspension), maybe Miss. State will have a run like Ole Miss did last year.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ hah I just came in here to put him on the :airquote:BIG BOARD:airquote: of Douche. That dude is someone to keep an eye on if he makes a year/potential career of it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Duke Chin posted:

^^^ hah I just came in here to put him on the :airquote:BIG BOARD:airquote: of Douche. That dude is someone to keep an eye on if he makes a year/potential career of it.

So he's going to be drafted by the Rams or Dolphins.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

So he's going to be drafted by the Rams or Dolphins.

Whoever drafted Taylor Lewan.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Chilichimp posted:

Whoever drafted Taylor Lewan.

Tennessee Titans... and they drafted noted lazy, stompy douche Albert Haynesworth so there's definitely pro-douche-headroom for him even though Jeff Fisher is long gone. (and really EVERY team has drafted multiple douches over the years *cough*jerramy stevens*cough*)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

(and really EVERY team has drafted multiple douches over the years *cough*jerramy stevens*cough*)
not Bob McNair and your Houston Texans

:smugdog:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Brady Hoke!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBTgaFd2Y_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3IlUR3jwY

(via MGoBlog)

Hoke's quotes from MLive and more MLive

quote:

I don't know if he had a concussion or not, I don't know that. Shane's a pretty competitive, tough kid. And Shane wanted to be the quarterback, and so, believe me, if he didn't want to be he would've come to the sideline or stayed down.

I did not [see him looking wobbly]. I didn't see it. I can only answer for me.

Shane was the guy who was our quarterback. I would have started [Gardner] if I would have thought differently, right?

We would never, ever, put a guy on the field when there's a possibility of a head trauma. And we won't do that. Guys play beat up every day ... they're never 100 percent. [If that's the case], they're not doing much [football-wise].

He felt like he could still play. When the injury happened, and I'm not going to get into all of this, I'll let our medical people talk about it [more]. But when the [ankle] injury happened the first time, he felt like he could come back and play on it. He comes back in, hands the ball off, checks out of a play, checks it the right way and does everything he needs to do.

When a guy is out of the game, [the medical staff] tells me and they have consistently for [the last four years]. There should be some criticism [of me] when we talk about the performance, and that's me and coaching and I understand that. But when your integrity and character is attacked, I think that is really unwarranted.

The athletic department's statememnt is even better (via a really great Maize n Brew post)

quote:

The safety of our student-athletes is always our top priority. We generally never discuss the specifics of a student-athlete’s medical care, but Shane Morris was removed from yesterday’s game against Minnesota after further aggravating an injury to his leg that he sustained earlier in the contest. He was evaluated by our experienced athletic trainers and team physicians, and we’re confident proper medical decisions were made.

The University of Michigan has a distinguished group of Certified Athletic Trainers and team physicians who are responsible for determining whether or not a player is physically able to play. Our coaches have no influence or authority to make determinations if or when an injured player returns to competition. The health and welfare of our student-athletes is and will continue to be a top priority.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This clip is a bit longer and shows that the announcers were making GBS threads on Hoke for leaving Morris in with a leg injury even before the helmet-to-helmet hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mIcYz-DM8

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Gonna toss in the University of Alabama. I mean, aside from the obvious reasons, we now have this: http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/10/2/6884101/daisha-simmons-transfer-alabama-seton-hall-jay-bilas

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hoke's boss, Dave Brandon

more follows in that thread

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Gonna toss in the University of Alabama. I mean, aside from the obvious reasons, we now have this: http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/10/2/6884101/daisha-simmons-transfer-alabama-seton-hall-jay-bilas

Good submission, man. gently caress 'Bama.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

To bump this thread, I will submit Vontaze Burfict and his attempted ankle breaking.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

I think we can all agree that Jimbo Fisher deserves to be here for his boys will be boys attitude towards rape, theft, robbery, and domestic abuse.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I think we can all agree that Jimbo Fisher deserves to be here for his boys will be boys attitude towards rape, theft, robbery, and domestic abuse.

What, what now?

For that matter, Omar Kelly.

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Jameis Winston's rape allegations don't concern me. Stealing crab legs doesn't concern me.What concerns me is his decision making, maturity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also his ESPN tinhat paranoia.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

To add to Jimbo Fisher's resume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNoUtulBDVY&t=114s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Another point in his favor is that his name is loving Jimbo.

What is it with college coaches and names that sound like King of the Hill characters? Jimbo, Tommy Tuberville, Dabo Swinney, Larry Fedora, Urban Meyer, Bo Pelini, Butch Jones, etc.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Benne posted:

Larry Fedora

There is no way that's a real name. I'm like 1000% certain that you just tossed in the most MRA-Reddited name ever, but I am much too quick for your tricks!

*googles*

Holy gently caress what a dumb loving name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

uublog posted:

There is no way that's a real name. I'm like 1000% certain that you just tossed in the most MRA-Reddited name ever, but I am much too quick for your tricks!

*googles*

Holy gently caress what a dumb loving name

It seriously sounds like a name somebody would agree to as a toxx.

• Locked thread