Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Johnny loving Football Twelvestep is entering rehab

It's for substance/alcohol abuse, I assume because Cleveland isn't where you go to rehab QB skills, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What does it mean when people say "huh, you did a non-douche thing" when you check into rehab?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I probably should have been more clear and framed it differently - he's been so much of a douchey asshat during the year that someone probably had an intervention and the ultimatum was he's going to rehab or they rescind his contract. It'd be one thing if someone like that crazy skullface guy from Texas Tech (this was like 8 years back) but this is the image of a guy who thinks he's got the world wrapped around his finger and to think that he was so far from self-control that someone got drastic enough to convince JFF of all people to go to rehab means he probably hosed up big off-camera and went beyond just losing the respect of the organization.

I was in a bit of a hurry to wrap up and post that I left out the intended framing of it. Basically, given all the ways he's been a shithead in public, I'm speculatively nominating him for what may be one hell of a bombshell to have spurred rehab.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stupid Dick posted:

Yeah, something pretty major had to have happened to make him go to rehab 2 days before Superbowl weekend. He would've had a free pass to go out there and douche it up all he wanted for 5 days straight. At first I thought it was a PR stunt, but the more I think about it, he must've hit rock bottom in some way this past week. Still don't like him, but good for him that he's trying to face his problems.

Absolutely, maybe it'll be the dose of humility he needs to adjust his drat attitude in addition to treating his addiction.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chichevache posted:

Then nominate him for those reasons.

Okay, then.

quote:

On Dec. 23, a Tuesday in the final week of the season, Manziel stood in front of about 20 media members and outlined his plan to become the Browns' answer at quarterback. He wanted to be "the guy" for Cleveland, he said, and would do so by taking his job more seriously in the offseason. He was more animated than he'd been all year, eager to declare his intentions.

But four days later, the day before the Browns' season finale on Dec. 28, stories in the Browns' facility began to circulate. That morning the Browns were packing up to head to Baltimore, but Manziel was not present for the walk-through. Team security drove to Manziel's downtown home to check on him.

Two team sources said security found a player who they felt clearly had partied hard the night before. One source used the words "drunk off his a--."
- http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12267487/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-entering-rehab-improve-himself

quote:

The former Heisman Trophy winner had been passed over 21 times, prompting a text from Manziel to then-Browns quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains that he wanted to "wreck this league" in Cleveland. The words were actually more R-rated, but the implication was clear.

Twitter erupted at the selection. A Cleveland radio host cheered and screamed openly on air. Manziel gave his "money" sign as he walked onstage to greet Roger Goodell.

By season's end, cheering had turned to frustration and anger as Manziel struggled mightily in almost six quarters as a starter, then was fined for being AWOL the final Saturday of the season. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan resigned with two years left on his contract. Loggains was fired. The Browns openly discussed Manziel's viability as the franchise's quarterback at a wide-ranging postseason staff meeting about the roster. And at least a couple of Manziel's teammates were joking his text should have read "wreck this team."
- http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

He was such an rear end in a top hat that his loving OC resigned and left two years of pay on the table. His own teammates joke about his lack of commitment. He didn't show up to practice and was so late the day before the last game of the season they had to send security out to retrieve him from his loving house, still drunk. All the while he maintained an attitude of holier-than-thou, I-run-this-bitch superiority despite being a colossal fuckup. To continue:

quote:

Manziel's on-field results were, at best, mixed.

In his first game, in Buffalo in relief of a struggling Brian Hoyer, he led a touchdown drive on his first possession.

But readiness became an issue once Manziel got the starting job the following week. Several sources said Manziel either didn't know the plays in the huddle or didn't call them correctly. The Browns tried to get him comfortable by using shotgun and pistol formations on about 80 percent of his downs and by simplifying the offense.

But more than once, teammates corrected the play call in the huddle, or headed to the line hoping things would work because the call was wrong. Sometimes, the offense would get lined up wrong because Manziel forgot to read the whole play or got the verbiage wrong (saying "left" instead of "right," for example).

"The way we talked about him in meetings, the kid never put in the time he needed to -- studying film, organizing workouts, 7-on-7 workouts -- he didn't do it," said one NFC scout with a Southeastern Conference focus. "His thing would be he's going to show up on Saturdays, 'I'm a gamer.' He'd show up for practices and games but that's about it. Johnny thought he was an NFL superstar before he came [into the league]."

One A&M source said Manziel's attitude is catching up to him. Manziel was lax in preparation unless the Aggies were playing a top-tier opponent, such as Alabama or Auburn, when "you couldn't get him out of the film room," the source said. Against Rice or Sam Houston State, not so much.
- http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

quote:

The man, who is also Manziel's roommate, was also involved in another 2:30 a.m. incident at The 9 on Nov. 22, when a fan approached Manziel. The fan and the man give differing accounts of what happened, and police said it will be up to the fan to press charges against Manzie's roommate.

Cleveland Browns General Manager Ray Farmer said in a statement the time of the Nov. 22 incident at The 9 was "concerning" to the team.

Cleveland police spokeswoman Jennifer Ciaccia said she could not confirm if Manziel's car had been towed, and was unable to provide a copy of the citation or details of the arrest.
- http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/member_of_johnny_manziels_ento.html

quote:

And on draft weekend, Manziel vowed to keep his promise.

"I know I need to put all my time right now into maintaining my life in football and trying to be as good of a quarterback as possible,'' he said. "Everything else is extra and really there's no time for that now. I'm very committed to expanding my knowledge of the game and getting better as a quarterback. That's my focus right now.''

Two weeks later, he boarded a plane for Vegas over Memorial Day Weekend and the perpetual bachelor party was on.

quote:

"People can call me crazy, and it's not cockiness, (but) I'm going to put myself in (position) to win the Super Bowl every single year," Manziel said. "A 5-10 guy (Russell Wilson) just won the Super Bowl in his second year in the NFL. That's unreal. I want to be the first rookie to win the Super Bowl."
- http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/browns_alarmed_by_some_of_john.html

In general, maybe the rehab is last-ditch stuff because he's such an arrogant little poo poo he wouldn't seek help until it progressed this far. Good on him for at last realizing it's a problem and seeking help but he's left a loving trail of wreckage in his wake and if that's fair game then let's look at it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 4, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Wreck this league" is more than enough condemnation of his character given he said it in frustration. The fact that it was actually more lewd/coarse just exacerbates that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Look Sir Droids posted:

The students are cultist cunts too though.

It's because PSU is Stillers fan training camp.

• Locked thread