Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doogle
May 24, 2003

Shampoo posted:

That...seems like "go to the hospital" time.

They flushed my sinuses out and everything that came out looked like glitter.

I finally figured out the issue I was having with datalogging. I replaced my spark plug wires that had about 1000 miles on them but were ~4 years old with new ones and no more data log freezing. Now just to get my high beam indicator to work on the s2000 cluster... Good thing all the wires are red so they are easy to trace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm more surprised that the S2k cluster isn't CAN bus or something like that. I guess Honda was late to the party for that stuff.

doogle
May 24, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

I'm more surprised that the S2k cluster isn't CAN bus or something like that. I guess Honda was late to the party for that stuff.

The '06 S2000 is CAN bus, but the cars before that aren't.

doogle
May 24, 2003

After an unprecedented 500 miles without issue, vtec stopped working. The vtec oil pressure switch isn't seeing high enough oil pressure, confirmed with an oil pressure gauge. The head itself is seeing ~70psi which is plenty to activate vtec, so we were thinking that a piece of hondabond was blocking the oil passage to the solenoid. I took the valvetrain apart and blew air through all the passages, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

My oilpan had a dent in it which can also cause the issue, so I ordered a new one after hammering a hole in the old one trying to get the dent out. If that doesn't work the last thing it could be is the oil pump, but that is new as well and the block is seeing 80+PSI of oil pressure.

Good thing this is Automotive Insanity and not Automotive Sanity because this bitch would be long gone if it was. When I consider parting it out all I can think of is how scary it is when it works and I can't bring myself to do it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Where did you get your car tuned? I'm going to need to bring my Miata somewhere in a month or so.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Matt Shue tuned it near Richmond, VA. I know his wife has a turbo miata too.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Discovered the issue, the head has 2 oil orifices that go to the cams to oil them then split off to the vtec oil pressure switch. I pulled them out and they are rusted, probably from the blown headgasket. I paid the machine shop to hot tank it before I assembled it this time, but I guess they didn't remove them when they did. Solved the issue with $12 in parts (plus a $100 oil pan, but I kind of needed that anyway). Hopefully it will be back to 100% this weekend.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I have VTEC again. Car is done. Now it just needs to stop raining...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

doogle posted:

Not like you'd have traction even if it was dry. :q:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

doogle posted:

It's Virginia in spring, it's never gonna stop raining :suicide:

doogle
May 24, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

It's Virginia in spring, it's never gonna stop raining :suicide:

I'm in NC, but same thing really.

Now that the motor finally works properly I've turned my eye on the interior. I'm looking for a passenger Del Sol seat to mtach the driver's side one. Eventually I will get a set of Recaros but right now I'm still saving for the cage so a $50 seat will have to do. The Del Sol seats are actually really comfortable and supportive. The S2000 cluster is nearly 100% functional now, I just need to either ground out or apply 12v to the cruise control activation light to turn it off. The ECT gauge is dead on accurate with the ECT module installed, the speedo is perfect with the speedohealer, and a 22 ohm resister put the fuel gauge nearly perfect. Once it gets to the last light on the fuel gauge I'm down to about half a gallon of fuel.

Next up:
Find a Del Sol seat
Install door panels (I ripped out the power windows and about 20lbs of wiring from the doors in the process getting rid of 2 parasitic draws. Wind up windows for lyfe)
Reinstall interior plastics so I can stop banging my knee on the steering column when I get out of the car
Bluetooth this cheap rear end tablet to my ECU for datalogging/gauges/etc

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Get us some in car vid of you making it go breeeoooowwwrrrrrrhiissssss

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

doogle posted:

The Del Sol seats are actually really comfortable and supportive.

Can confirm the Del Sol seats are oddly excellent

doogle
May 24, 2003

I made a mistake when I bought the moroso pan, it leaks like a sieve. The machine shop told me to forgo the factory gasket and use The Right Stuff instead with some studs instead of the factory bolts, then to torque it to a total of 12 lbs in increments of 3 in a star pattern, and finally to let it sit for 24 hours and it will never leak again. I hope they're right.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So what do the build specs look like now? I skimmed through the thread and am confused.

Is it still on the B18 block?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Yeah.

B18a1 sleeved at 85mm with stock stroke (2 liter)
B18c5 head with GSC valvetrain

Newest dyno sheet at 17 psi. Pretty much maxed out the turbo. I'm getting a BW s366 when this turbo gives up and moving on to E85, even if I have to buy it by the 55 gallon drum.

http://youtu.be/RTUk5GK0u1w

piss boner
May 17, 2003

lol holy poo poo. Anxiously anticipating some runs down the strip.

doogle
May 24, 2003

piss boner posted:

lol holy poo poo. Anxiously anticipating some runs down the strip.

It needs to warm up first, rolling into 5th gear roasts the tires in this weather.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

doogle posted:

Yeah.

B18a1 sleeved at 85mm with stock stroke (2 liter)
B18c5 head with GSC valvetrain

Newest dyno sheet at 17 psi. Pretty much maxed out the turbo. I'm getting a BW s366 when this turbo gives up and moving on to E85, even if I have to buy it by the 55 gallon drum.

http://youtu.be/RTUk5GK0u1w

Holy fuuuuuuck! Man I cant wait to see videos of this monster.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't wait to see the insanity in person!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Please tell me you made the firewall out of an old A10 warthog titanium pilot tub or something. This looks awesome and monstrous. It took me a minute to realize where 5k rpm was and where it redlined. I thought I must not be reading it right for at least a minute. Nope. :aaaaa:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THAT NOISE :stonk:

So how long until this one cracks the windshield during an upshift?

doogle
May 24, 2003

THAT NOISE :stonk:

So how long until this one cracks the windshield during an upshift?

This car is in much better shape than the EF, so hopefully never. But probably next week with my luck.

I put the door panels on with some Home Depot plastic sheeting for a vapor barrier. gently caress paying $50/door for the stock stuff. I am going to change the fluids and do the 500 mile retorque on the ARP head studs on Friday and hopefully drive it all weekend in the nice weather that is supposed to (probably won't) occur.

I still need to get some black window winders, door pulls and lock bezels. Hopefully I can find some in the junkyard because the ones on ebay are like $30 each.

So:

• Find a passenger Del Sol seat
  • Install door panels (I ripped out the power windows and about 20lbs of wiring from the doors in the process getting rid of 2 parasitic draws. Wind up windows for lyfe)
  • Reinstall interior plastics so I can stop banging my knee on the steering column when I get out of the car
  • Bluetooth this cheap rear end tablet to my ECU for datalogging/gauges/etc
  • Find some carpet
  • Change fluids/retorque head studs
  • Wire the cruise control light to a ground or 12v to turn it off
  • Rewire the highbeam switch so the light in the gauge works
  • Find stock headlights so I can see
  • Adjust ECT module so it isn't always reading hot as gently caress

As you can see, the car is nearly finished. I'll probably keep doing little stuff here and there for as long as I own it, but after Friday I can daily drive it without too much suffering.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Daily driver", "545 hp", and "2100 pound car" sounds more like suicide.

A loving fun suicide. :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

doogle posted:

can daily drive it without too much suffering.

Except for the ears of unsuspecting fellow motorists :lol:

That car is so fuckin awesome man.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Would it be possible for you to describe the experience of driving this beast? Am I correct in thinking that there is a fair to extreme amount of torque steer?
I would probably crap myself just getting into that car so you must have a special seat or something for your giant brass balls.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I'm curious - are you running 93 pump gas?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Except for the ears of unsuspecting fellow motorists :lol:

That car is so fuckin awesome man.

Pfft its like there ears are being kissed on the drum by little Japanese angels.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Would it be possible for you to describe the experience of driving this beast? Am I correct in thinking that there is a fair to extreme amount of torque steer?
I would probably crap myself just getting into that car so you must have a special seat or something for your giant brass balls.

It isn't bad until it hooks, once it does the car kind of sways in the lane with torque steer. I'm going to get the suspension track prepped soon and supposedly that will cut it down quite a bit. Right now I just have a normal street alignment and corner balance.

ROFLburger posted:

I'm curious - are you running 93 pump gas?

Yeah, I run Shell 93 pump gas.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Since I decided to do a few things on my daily driver (new wheels/tires, both rear wheel bearings, oil change, and I actually washed it), it decided to break. 242k miles on the motor, #3 cylinder rings or ringland gave up. I'm at 160, 155, 10, 161 for compression now.

The good news is I have a couple D16z6 motors lying around and basically all the parts I need to swap one in, so I'll be going from approximately ~50 whp to probably around 110 whp. Hopefully the D16z6 gets around the same mileage as the D15b2. It should be finished in about a week or so.

I'm going do a full factory rebuild plus D16a6 pistons (10.5:1 compression in a z6 block) and bolt ons on my second D16z6 while I drive around on the first one. I figure with a properly rebuilt motor the car should reach at least 500k miles, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Keep it out of VTEC and it'll get very close to the same mileage. Maybe a little better.

So how bad was the smoke show when the rings packed it in? My Integra's B18A had next to no compression on 2 cylinders when I got rid of it, it would have made James Bond say :drat:.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Keep it out of VTEC and it'll get very close to the same mileage. Maybe a little better.

So how bad was the smoke show when the rings packed it in? My Integra's B18A had next to no compression on 2 cylinders when I got rid of it, it would have made James Bond say :drat:.

It was using about 1 quart every 10 miles. Good thing I was close to the shop, I added a quart of oil and it barely hit the bottom of the dipstick.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stonk:

I was going through a quart every couple of days. Only smoked a little while cruising, but stand on it or downshift and I'd smoke out the entire highway and start missing really bad. Same when I'd start it after it'd been sitting for more than a couple of hours; I worked overnight at the time and had my employer (Target) tell me not to park in front of the store anymore, since it smoked out the entire parking lot when I started it.

Friend that took it off my hands called me laughing to tell me just how hosed the engine was. Rings were cracked on 2 cylinders (plus those two pistons had started to melt), burned valves on those cylinders, and the head was warped to the point that it couldn't be saved. Plus oil ran out of the cat when he unbolted it. Lesson learned from this: never listen to a PO when they say the aftermarket FPR is setup properly (always wondered why it managed 40+ mpg on the highway and 30 city...)

doogle
May 24, 2003

D15b2 coming out

D16z6 in

I just have to finish up the throttle body injection to port injection wiring, as well as the OBD0 to OBD1 wiring conversion. going from ~50whp to ~100 should be fun.

We also found that the reason it was losing so much oil was due to a "small" crack in the block.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Motor in and running. Did a street tune on chrome (free tuning software), I'm guessing around 95-100whp based on 0-60 (~7 seconds). I also found some sweet Nology $200 plug wires in a box at the shop.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a little confused, I don't see a turbo. When are you going to doogle this motor?

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm going to build the spare Z6 I have and spray the hell out of it instead. I have everything I need except a factory rebuild kit for the motor and I'll need to get a cable to hydro conversion kit for the EX transmission. I found like 5 full nitrous kits when we were cleaning out the shop. Probably going to hit it with a progressive 100 dry shot with fueling through the ECU (easier to tune that way, and less poo poo to fail).

So:

Rebuilt D16z6
D16a6 pistons (10.5:1 compression in a z6 motor)
b18a1 shot peened rods
Zex nitrous cam with crower valvesprings
B18b1 throttle body
4-2-1 header into 2.5" exhaust with a Dynomax VT muffler
Port matched throttle body to intake manifold and intake manifold to head
Zex nitrous dry kit
'93 Honda EX transmission with sychrotech LSD and sychrotech carbon master rebuild kit
880cc injectors, aeromotive 340lph fuel pump, aeromotive FPR
Hondata S300 for tuning and nitrous control

As I said, this is all poo poo we found while cleaning up the parts room, I'll be going all over the country this summer for work so I probably won't be able to do it soon, but once I get back to NC full time this is happening.

The BMW is down right now due to the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM (electric water pump failed at 55k miles) so I've been driving this car around a lot and really started to like it. And when I like cars I tend to destroy them with too much power.

edit:

(turbo car shift points)

People were saying that the turbo car's power band was too peaky (basically just talking poo poo because it is a honda) so I pulled that up, it has over 400whp from the bottom of the shift point into 3rd and 4th, I think that is good enough for now.

doogle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 16, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

doogle posted:

(turbo car shift points)

People were saying that the turbo car's power band was too peaky (basically just talking poo poo because it is a honda) so I pulled that up, it has over 400whp from the bottom of the shift point into 3rd and 4th, I think that is good enough for now.

Can you (or someone else) explain this so a dumb N/A guy can understand it? I get that the points (RPM wise and speed wise) are the optimal shift points for fastest acceleration, but what does the bolded part mean?

Edit: OK, maybe I get it now. If one were to follow these shift points, all the way through 2nd and 3rd it'll, in practice, have 400+ hp?

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 16, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yeah, he's basically just saying that shifting from the top of 3rd to 4th will put him at a spot in the rpm band that he'll still be putting over 400whp to the ground.

3rd to 4th is important likely because if he was in second, he'd be obliterating his tires. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

When can we expect a similar video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0qK-_XUbk

• Locked thread