Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

redshirt posted:

It's a fantastic movie for lots of reasons, but a big one is so many different characters are given hero arcs.

Even Harvey Firestein bravely helps evacuate the TV station, for example.

Lots of heroes to identify with means a movie lots of people identify with.

word, crew bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

but the release date says july 3rd?

I always assumed it was just a marketing-driven reminder of the July 4 weekend release... I just Googled out of curiosity, and the answer is actually kind of cool: Another studio owned the rights to the name 'Independence Day', so Fox flooded the market with ID4-labelled materials with 'Independence Day' subheader mentions (where 'independence day' on the materials could be passed off as a technicality because that was the release date weekend) and inserted new dialogue into Pullman's speech to get realistic usage rights granted to the specific title which was gathering dust.

"...Devlin and Pullman decided to add "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" to the end of the speech. At the time, the production was nicknamed "ID4" because Warner Bros. owned the rights to the title 'Independence Day', and Devlin had hoped if Fox executives noticed the addition in dailies, the impact of the new dialogue would help them win the rights to the title. The right to use the title was eventually won two weeks later."

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

HoboZero posted:

I always assumed it was just a marketing-driven reminder of the July 4 weekend release... I just Googled out of curiosity, and the answer is actually kind of cool: Another studio owned the rights to the name 'Independence Day', so Fox flooded the market with ID4 mentions (where 'independence day' on the materials could be passed off as a technicality because that was the release date weekend) and inserted new dialogue into Pullman's speech to get realistic usage rights granted to the specific title which was gathering dust.

"...Devlin and Pullman decided to add "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" to the end of the speech. At the time, the production was nicknamed "ID4" because Warner Bros. owned the rights to the title 'Independence Day', and Devlin had hoped if Fox executives noticed the addition in dailies, the impact of the new dialogue would help them win the rights to the title. The right to use the title was eventually won two weeks later."

haha, that's awesome

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

haha, that's awesome

Thanks buddy, I expected as much

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

Didn't the US also nuke itself?

yeah one fuckin' nuke over a city that was already destroyed

that's totally gonna be what destroys america

idiot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah one fuckin' nuke over a city that was already destroyed

that's totally gonna be what destroys america

idiot

It was also LA too, a city that wouldn't be missed anyways.

Trigona
Nov 15, 2008
was my first dvd I owned - movie still holds a place in my heart

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

No they nuked Houston.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TangentEnigma posted:

everybody clapped. wwhen the dog jump'd into the hole from the fire, in my theatre

that dog did some sweet parkour poo poo off those cars tho

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
love the cgi flames behind that dog airbudding with its tongue all floppin n poo poo

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

etalian posted:

Why must you do this to me?

HOUSTON is the place that got nuked and wouldn't be missed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique posted:

love the cgi flames behind that dog airbudding with its tongue all floppin n poo poo

it was actually a pretty cool practical effect for most of the alien weapon scene.

They basically placed a miniature model city in a chimney like structure:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19140_8-movie-special-effects-you-wont-believe-arent-cgi_p2.html

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

millions of people dying around them but YAY THE DOG IS SAFE

post on FACEBOOK about Palestinian children then post about a single dog abuse case.

what causes a bigger uproar?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Re-enacting the dog fight scene from independence day was the best part of star fox 64

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
Sneakers was an excellent movie. It's on netflix instant and I recommend every last one of you motherfuckers watch it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Guancho posted:

Sneakers was an excellent movie. It's on netflix instant and I recommend every last one of you motherfuckers watch it.

You know I could have been in the NSA, but they found out my parents were married.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Blind Rasputin posted:

You know I could have been in the NSA, but they found out my parents were married.

that's what i'm talking about gently caress yea

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

dyne posted:

Re-enacting the dog fight scene from independence day was the best part of star fox 64

Oh gently caress, I just realized that's what happened. :aaa:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Independence Day is the best summer blockbuster popcorn movie ever made, full stop.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Xenomrph posted:

Independence Day is the best summer blockbuster popcorn movie ever made, full stop.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Box of Trial posted:

the same director hosed up a movie with kurt russell in it too, so basically gently caress every movie roland emmerich has ever made

"we have a space portal that can take us to literally any location in the universe, provided that there is another portal located there. anywhere in the loving universe, instantly, no matter how far away. imagine all the bizarre, utterly incomprehensible things there are out there, waiting to be discovered by humanity for the first time"

*goes to ancient egypt*

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Xenomrph posted:

Hard to argue.

Star Wars or Indiana Jones probably wins, but ID4 is definitely in the conversation.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Can you imagine what this movie would look like if it was titled Independence gay??

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Hard to argue.

Star Wars or Indiana Jones probably wins, but ID4 is definitely in the conversation.
Those are good ones, but ID4 just has the perfect balance of wanton property damage, lighthearted tone while still having some token "serious" bits, quippy/quotable and memorable characters, and a bombastic, memorable soundtrack.

It helps that it has the best motivational speech in film history (although Pacific Rim tried real hard to top it). Oh yeah and then the goddamn POTUS gets in a fighter jet to help shoot down some alien assholes. :rock: :hellyeah:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Xenomrph posted:

Those are good ones, but ID4 just has the perfect balance of wanton property damage, lighthearted tone while still having some token "serious" bits, quippy/quotable and memorable characters, and a bombastic, memorable soundtrack.

It helps that it has the best motivational speech in film history (although Pacific Rim tried real hard to top it). Oh yeah and then the goddamn POTUS gets in a fighter jet to help shoot down some alien assholes. :rock: :hellyeah:

You make some good points. I love ID4 so I'm not gonna argue.

Is the only "bad" human character in the movie the Secretary of Defense? And even then, he's really not that bad.

I hope the sequel is all gritty and dark - Earth plunged into a planetwide shadow of death and destruction, and only Cyber Will Smith can save the day.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
It's on TNT right now! GOGOGOGOGOO!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ninja fetus posted:

Can you imagine what this movie would look like if it was titled Independence gay??

the movie was ahead of its time with the gay marriage proposal in the first act

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
You'd all be dead if it wasnt for my David! oy vey! *shoots a palestinian baby*

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
Independence Day sucks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_Zn5l0Aw8

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Look at you

Look at how wrong you are

Just look

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Slugnoid posted:

You'd all be dead if it wasnt for my David! oy vey! *shoots a palestinian baby*

the movie is actually about the humans(palestinians) overcoming and killing the jewish(aliens) invaders

the alien virus is hitlers cum

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Xenomrph posted:

Look at you

Look at how wrong you are

Just look

I'm sorry you enjoy dogshit movies

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
people who don't enjoy ID4 are almost certainly boring insufferable assholes irl

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love the scene that has the Israeli soldiers awkwardly working with the Iraqis as :911:THE WORLD COMES TOGETHER:911:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Kameh posted:

It's on TNT right now! GOGOGOGOGOO!

it's on finally for west coast. time to watch :350:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Will Ukrainian separatists shoot down some aliens in the sequel?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What if instead of f-18s, they had f-35s. Randy quaid would refuse to fly such a shitbox and we'd all be dead. Makes u think

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ethanol posted:

What if instead of f-18s, they had f-35s. Randy quaid would refuse to fly such a shitbox and we'd all be dead. Makes u think

I dunno, if ramming a jet into the beam weapon solves the problem then I think the F-35 is perfectly suited for that

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

redshirt posted:

I hope the sequel is all gritty and dark - Earth plunged into a planetwide shadow of death and destruction, and only Cyber Will Smith can save the day.

i hope will smith inexplicably reprises his role in After Earth for an ID4 sequel so that instead of being a smack-talking swagger-walking F-18 pilot he's a boring, monotone rear end in a top hat and his performance is so wooden and uninteresting that the only reaction you can muster up is "well they convinced at least one black person to believe in scientology i guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Selim Sivad posted:

I'm sorry you enjoy dogshit movies
I won't dispute this, but ID4 is not among them.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

people who don't enjoy ID4 are almost certainly boring insufferable assholes irl

:agreed:

• Locked thread