Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I went to see Roger Waters perform The Wall at Fenway. It was pretty much one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever been to.

I know it's not actually Pink Floyd but they fuckin own anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

thumbs up i'm only -22222 and I LISTEN 2 this not that beiber rap craap i was born in the wrung generiation my favorites like survivor pink floyd beetles and journey will live on forever dumb new music suck im surry 4 my generation.

Poorleg
Feb 8, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

look ok i have a confessionm to make pink floyd thread, i like the final cut. can we at least all agree that fletcher memorial home owns???? i mean gently caress

I like it too. Not their best, but a few awesome moments. Yes Fletcher Memorial is awesome.

This is surprisingly good

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpp208_pink-floyd-the-final-cut-film-complete-1983_music

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

Personperson14 posted:

thumbs up i'm only -22222 and I LISTEN 2 this not that beiber rap craap i was born in the wrung generiation my favorites like survivor pink floyd beetles and journey will live on forever dumb new music suck im surry 4 my generation.

Go back to 1979 and listen to the radio. The Captain and Tenille. Sonny and Cher. Janis Ian. Kenny Loggins.

99% of everything was always crap.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bert Fegg posted:

Go back to 1979 and listen to the radio. The Captain and Tenille. Sonny and Cher. Janis Ian. Kenny Loggins.

99% of everything was always crap.

Captain Jack was better.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Personperson14 posted:

you'll change your mind when you hear biebers new concept album - "all in all it's just another guy carrying me up the great wall" - sample lyric

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i hope justin bieber does enough drugs that he emerges 10 years from now as a syd barrett for a new generation

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

Poorleg posted:

I like it too. Not their best, but a few awesome moments. Yes Fletcher Memorial is awesome.

This is surprisingly good

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpp208_pink-floyd-the-final-cut-film-complete-1983_music

Gilmour does some good guitar work on Fletcher Memorial Home and Not Now John. I like those two from Final Cut

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
but if you want a drunk drive
its no suprise
theres one less lonely friend of the family baby

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like pink floyd but i like pink floyd the wrong way. I've never once ever listened to one of their albums in their entirety. i usually go through and listen to brain damage and eclipse, comfortably numb, the wall pt 2, hey you, and then i listen to other bands.

prog rock is awful though.

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
isn't this where

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

I like pink floyd but i like pink floyd the wrong way. I've never once ever listened to one of their albums in their entirety. i usually go through and listen to brain damage and eclipse, comfortably numb, the wall pt 2, hey you, and then i listen to other bands.

prog rock is awful though.

I get that. Just listen to what you like.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
too slow

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

then listen to speed metal.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Syd Barrett was a master troll. One of the big things that led to him getting kicked out was when the band was working on one of his new songs called 'Have you got it yet?' As he was teaching it to them, he would change the arrangement every time to make it impossible for the others to follow along with him, looking them square in the eye and singing the chorus "Have you got it yet?" in increasingly dickish fashion. When they finally figured out he was just loving with them completely, Roger Waters put down his bass, walked out and never played with him again.

I mean that's just gold.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I like pink floyd and anyone who disagrees with me is ok in my book cuz I'm sure they have legitimate reasons

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

NiceGuy posted:

Syd Barrett was a master troll. One of the big things that led to him getting kicked out was when the band was working on one of his new songs called 'Have you got it yet?' As he was teaching it to them, he would change the arrangement every time to make it impossible for the others to follow along with him, looking them square in the eye and singing the chorus "Have you got it yet?" in increasingly dickish fashion. When they finally figured out he was just loving with them completely, Roger Waters put down his bass, walked out and never played with him again.

I mean that's just gold.

lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pink Floyd is great, I love The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Everyone should look up how to sync The Wizard of Oz to Dark Side of the Moon and watch it while stoned.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Animals is their best album.

I also really enjoy Meddle and WYWH and think The Final Cut is underrated. I love Barrett's solo albums and I often wonder if some of his trouble was due to gaslighting from the rest of the band especially Waters.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Myron Baloney posted:

I also really enjoy Meddle and WYWH and think The Final Cut is underrated. I love Barrett's solo albums and I often wonder if some of his trouble was due to gaslighting from the rest of the band especially Waters.

Tell me more, never heard about this

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

gagelion posted:

Tell me more, never heard about this

I don't really think there was any malicious intent, but reading and watching interviews of the rest of the band talking about him they're just really weird about him, especially Waters.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Myron Baloney posted:

I don't really think there was any malicious intent, but reading and watching interviews of the rest of the band talking about him they're just really weird about him, especially Waters.

what kind of stuff do they say

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Waters is a whiny, self-important bitch with no sense of humour so it makes sense that he wouldn't like Barrett.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

gagelion posted:

what kind of stuff do they say

It's as much what they don't seem to want to talk about as what they say, watch some youtube interviews maybe or read this

http://www.sydbarrett.net/subpages/articles/syd_barrett_story_by_syd_and_tho.htm

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Pink Floyd is really good.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
Radio KAOS by Roger Waters is awesome

and yes, Pink Floyd owns

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Music I've been "grooving" to lately while being a drunk: Tchaikovsky, Alexander Borodin, Pink Floyd

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
shine on you crazy OP

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
by the way, which one's Pink?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i was really into pink floyd,

when i was 17

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

when i was 17

what 2 months ago? fag

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

Myron Baloney posted:

It's as much what they don't seem to want to talk about as what they say, watch some youtube interviews maybe or read this

http://www.sydbarrett.net/subpages/articles/syd_barrett_story_by_syd_and_tho.htm

I read that after the rest of the band had sort of severed ties with him and he was no longer a band member, Gilmour was curiously enough the one who still would go visit him and make sure he was receiving all his royalty monies and so on.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

when i was 17

You had to leave childish things behind to became the most prolific gbs poo poo poster

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
truly the most boring of dad rock, and im old, syd barrett's poo poo is okay i guess

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Every Floyd album is inferior to Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking but still own

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Poorleg posted:

Pink FLoyd went to poo poo after Roger Waters left. Momentary Lapse of Reason and what followed are tedious. Rumour has it Dave Gilmour (and Nick Mason, but what does he do?) will be releasing a new Pink Floyd album later this year. As far as I know, Roger Waters isn't involved.

So, essentially, a Dave Gilmour solo album is being packaged as Pink Floyd.

Gilmour's first solo album is SO depressing. Some of the song titles:
"There's No Way Out of Here"
"Cry from the Street"
"So Far Away"
"Raise My Rent"
"No Way"
"I Can't Breathe Anymore"

The music's good but the lyrics and overall feel of the album is deep sadness. Hope he's in a better mood for the new record.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Animals is their best album.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Dark Side Of The Moon from start to finish never fails to completely gently caress my brain and leave me apathetic towards my own music via negative judgement

so yeah Pink Floyd good band.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i used to skip sheep more often than dogs and pigs but now ive come to love it just as much if not moreso bc the bass line is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

this is 1979, you are sixteen years old, stoned, and sso much more intelligent than the sheep who dont understand what slaves they are listening to the bee gees

Well, there's always this little bit of genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN9JYwuQlRM

• Locked thread