Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!
David Gilmour said "Wish You Were Here" is their best work and I tend to agree with that.

Live @ Pompeii is also amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

That was their best song, but Animals was their best album

The entire WYWH album is my favorite. I like Animals but it's too bleak. I'd even prefer Meddle over Animals because the songs are relatively cheerful or upbeat and not intensely political / depressing

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

ive listened to wish you were here a billion times and didnt notice until literally a couple hours ago that the last notes of shine on you crazy diamond are the tune to see emily play smdh

weird, I've never noticed this before

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

Poorleg posted:

I like it too. Not their best, but a few awesome moments. Yes Fletcher Memorial is awesome.

This is surprisingly good

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpp208_pink-floyd-the-final-cut-film-complete-1983_music

Gilmour does some good guitar work on Fletcher Memorial Home and Not Now John. I like those two from Final Cut

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

Myron Baloney posted:

It's as much what they don't seem to want to talk about as what they say, watch some youtube interviews maybe or read this

http://www.sydbarrett.net/subpages/articles/syd_barrett_story_by_syd_and_tho.htm

I read that after the rest of the band had sort of severed ties with him and he was no longer a band member, Gilmour was curiously enough the one who still would go visit him and make sure he was receiving all his royalty monies and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

Prallax Litovsk posted:

Confession time: I don't listen to PF much anymore and I also listened the poo poo out of Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking as well as Amused to Death. Gilmours solo stuff is good also, but comparing the albums to Waters' basically makes me think that however big of an rear end in a top hat Waters is, he must've been largely responsible for how thematically whole PF's albums were, because while Gilmour writes a kickass song, he can't (or just doesn't) integrate it into any album narrative.

I definitely think of Waters as the de facto leader and muse for the band, with Gilmour as second in command. It seems like he began to develop an ego-complex once they started to become really famous and commercially successful (e.g., opting not to ride in the limousine to concerts with the rest of the band, but instead taking a helicopter).

He wanted to kick Rick Wright out of the band circa The Wall / Final Cut, complained about Nick Mason not being able to keep time properly, and by the time they recorded the Final Cut, Gilmour was so sick of his bullshit that he was just coming in and recording his guitar tracks separately so they were not even both present in the studio simultaneously.

Waters' solo albums are bleak / cynical and depressing and they lack Gilmour's airy vocals and awesome guitar work. Gilmour's are good musically but not as lyrically interesting or thematically consistent and cohesive, like you said. I think the synthesis of all 4 members' creative input was what made PF great, although Nick Mason sort of humbly admits that he was just along for the ride.

• Locked thread