Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Monopoly is a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Monopoly is the Freddy Got Fingered of games, but boring.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Tardcore posted:

Monopoly is the Freddy Got Fingered of games, but boring.

Freddy got fingered is a good movie.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Freddy got fingered is a good movie.

Monopoly is good to but most people dont get it thats why its the same duh

Edit: I'm wrong monopoly is bad

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I won that game.

Respect the slumlords.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VendaGoat posted:

Don't count out my brown space hotels!

Brown? What the gently caress, Baltic and Mediterranean are supposed to be purple.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

raditts posted:

Brown? What the gently caress, Baltic and Mediterranean are supposed to be purple.

Shhh Shhhh, it's ok. Change is difficult.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VendaGoat posted:

Shhh Shhhh, it's ok. Change is difficult.

No. NO. I will NOT stand for this poo poo.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

One tip for free is don't play my mum at monopoly. She grew up in the east end of London and i think at the time that's all they had for entertainment and also she comes from a long line of wheeler dealers so its in her blood. Some tricks she employs include bailing out people with loans under the condition that all visits to their property are subsequently rent free. This is devastatingly useful later in the game.

If you don't play Monopoly that way you're playing it wrong.

This is mesmerizing, I can't stop staring at it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

This is mesmerizing, I can't stop staring at it.

it's apparently a real game you can print out and play:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1106327/ultimate-monopoly

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Pththya-lyi posted:

The original board game spaces were named after streets in Atlantic City, New Jersey. you're playing a weird british version because you're weird and british

You have ruined my game. I am British, and always thought Monopoly was a game originally played by women in the parlour after dinner parties as they compared cake recipes, while the gentlemen smoked cigars and drank expensive port in the lounge. The most British of games. Then it spread to be a universal game, as men were better at buying and selling houses.

I can never play Monopoly again.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol'ing if you've had a monopoly game actually last an hour or more

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Acquire Currency! posted:

Lol'ing if you've had a monopoly game actually last an hour or more

I've never finished a monopoly game in my entire life. I'm not even sure how you win.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

I've never finished a monopoly game in my entire life. I'm not even sure how you win.

Either everyone but one dude winds up bakrupt or you set an arbitrary time limit and the winner is the one with the most money.

It's a very lovely game because it was meant as a Georgist educational tool which was designed to show how land ownership and renting turn people into massive assholes, not an actual fun thing to play.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Republican Vampire posted:

... it was meant as a Georgist educational tool which was designed to show how land ownership and renting turn people into massive assholes, not an actual fun thing to play.

mission accomplished then

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Is there any 3 player plus board game that is actually fun to play and not some snoozefest where you take a dive so you can do something else with the cool people who did the same thing? Maybe hungry hungry hippos, but that's all I can think of.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hobohemian posted:

Is there any 3 player plus board game that is actually fun to play and not some snoozefest where you take a dive so you can do something else with the cool people who did the same thing? Maybe hungry hungry hippos, but that's all I can think of.

Settlers of Catan. Of course, once you get 4 or more people together you probably shouldn't play anything but Cards Against Humanity.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Settlers of Catan. Of course, once you get 4 or more people together you probably shouldn't play anything but Cards Against Humanity.

Oh, so no then, got it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobohemian posted:

Agricola! The best 16th century farming game you will ever play! its actually really good

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Can you cheat in online Monopoly?

If you can't then what's the point

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Used to play this poo poo competitively back in college. Oranges are the loving bomb and will win you the game.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Republican Vampire posted:

Either everyone but one dude winds up bakrupt or you set an arbitrary time limit and the winner is the one with the most money.

It's a very lovely game because it was meant as a Georgist educational tool which was designed to show how land ownership and renting turn people into massive assholes, not an actual fun thing to play.

My family plays monopoly all the time when we have a big holiday get together, and we almost always finish the game. We also play catan and other poo poo, and part of the reason we play is to be assholes to each other in a way that won't cause permanent bad blood. Otherwise we'd just be sitting around, drinking heavily, and debating politics and religion, and at least 1 person will end up getting super pissed and stop talking to someone for a year or something.

At least if it's during a game, you can blame the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

Agricola! The best 16th century farming game you will ever play! its actually really good

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola

Excited to play this with my cousin and her husband. Its next on our list.

I was looking at houses with my wife and I saw a copy of Ghettopoly in this house. Mind, this house was in the middle of a huge renovation and was from like 1910, so had all of these fancy book cases and stuff to stage the rooms that were done. Yet in this one room, on top of the book case, was a dusty copy of Ghettopoly. Like...what the hell is that doing there? Everything looked all regal and fancy and then a piece of poo poo knock off of a piece of poo poo game.

Weird.

So yeah, Agricola!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

if you seriously enjoy settlers of catan or agricola then kill ur self and your famil for real

both are like a tiny step up from monopoly but some how manage to be even dullerer. do you like being able to trade a sheep or maybe put down a poo poo little bit of wood that somehow represents a road and then repeat that for 30 minutes? congrats on having a broken brain

theres so many other games out there that have depth and also manage to not have the worlds driest lovely theme so you might have a hope in hell of getting a friend to agree to play your nerdy dumb cardboard bullshit there is literally no reason to buy any of those games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

Excited to play this with my cousin and her husband. Its next on our list.

So yeah, Agricola!

We have been playing it once a week and it can get quite competitive. Took a while for everyone to figure out the game but now we are all in the swing of it. Still haven't touched the advanced decks yet, the basic cards have more then enough variety. Unlike Monopoly a game of Agricola has a predetermined end point and it's rare if it goes over an hour an a half for 5 people.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

if you seriously enjoy settlers of catan or agricola then kill ur self and your famil for real

both are like a tiny step up from monopoly but some how manage to be even dullerer. do you like being able to trade a sheep or maybe put down a poo poo little bit of wood that somehow represents a road and then repeat that for 30 minutes? congrats on having a broken brain

theres so many other games out there that have depth and also manage to not have the worlds driest lovely theme so you might have a hope in hell of getting a friend to agree to play your nerdy dumb cardboard bullshit there is literally no reason to buy any of those games

you are obviously mentally handicapped if you think that Agricola is in the same league as monopoly. what is it that you recommend?

• Locked thread