Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xenomorph posted:

With so many darned Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows systems to keep working, if I can Google what I'm trying to do, quickly find a solution (such as "heartbeat") and then get it working in just a few minutes with very minimal config (3 short files), I try to stick with it.

I will keep "keepalived" in mind. I also read about someone switching to "corosync" because of the heartbleed/pacemaker segfault issue.

All my VM tests with heartbeat have been running well. I'm going to push the setup to a bigger VM server and then have some others test the setup.

Heartbeat is deprecated and essentially dead. Use corosync for the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
14.10 was just released.

I typically use the development versions of Kubuntu, starting about a month or two after the previous stable release. I've been doing this since Kubuntu 9.something, and for some reason it just never occurred to me to upgrade to the Utopic development branch from Trusty. Kubuntu 14.04 just seems ... complete.

On the other hand, I booted up the Plasma 5 spin of Kubuntu 14.10, and drat. There were a lot of rough edges with Plasma 5 (the libraries/widgets/desktop environment/etc. that will be KDE 5) even up to a few weeks ago, but everything looks fantastic now. I might have to try it out, but I want to make sure that the 3.16 kernel in Utopic doesn't have the btrfs bugs that I've seen described on the btrfs mailing list recently.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is the spyware crap still enabled by default?

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

tekz posted:

Is the spyware crap still enabled by default?

I tried out 14.10 for a while, started from a clean install. General answer is yes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ghostofbox posted:

I tried out 14.10 for a while, started from a clean install. General answer is yes.
In 14.04 and later:

Type "privacy" into the dash, click the "Security and Privacy", click the tab for search, and turn off "Online search results".

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
How well does this OS handle high-dpi screens? Is it a trash experience like Windows 8.1 or does it work as well as OSX?

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

ShadowHawk posted:

In 14.04 and later:

Type "privacy" into the dash, click the "Security and Privacy", click the tab for search, and turn off "Online search results".

No, I knew about that, just letting them know it was default although I'm not sure it qualifies as "spyware" but didn't want to argue about that. Personally, I just want a local search without having to hit Super+A or whatever. Basically what gnome3 does.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How well does this OS handle high-dpi screens? Is it a trash experience like Windows 8.1 or does it work as well as OSX?

I know it has some support for it, but I don't have a screen to test. It's in the settings panel somewhere, I remember seeing it. I'd guess either Display or Appearance.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I would really doubt it's as good as OS X. I say this without having tried it, but... I just don't see it happening given Canonical's focus on not-the-desktop as of late.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fourwood posted:

I would really doubt it's as good as OS X. I say this without having tried it, but... I just don't see it happening given Canonical's focus on not-the-desktop as of late.

It depends on desktop environment. KDE is best, Unity is OK, other DEs are frankly crap (though you can work around that by changing font sizes in tiling WMs). Handling high DPI screens and touchscreens properly is a major focus of GNOME and the successors to X.org.

It's pretty easy to get the OSX experience by just halving your resolution (which is essentially what OSX does), but high DPI is a better experience on Windows.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Anyone know of any good apps to leave sticky notes on the desktop? I'm using my laptop to write in a very disorganised household, and it would be the one place I could leave myself notes without them going missing next time I open it up.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Lysidas posted:

14.10 was just released.

I typically use the development versions of Kubuntu, starting about a month or two after the previous stable release. I've been doing this since Kubuntu 9.something, and for some reason it just never occurred to me to upgrade to the Utopic development branch from Trusty. Kubuntu 14.04 just seems ... complete.

On the other hand, I booted up the Plasma 5 spin of Kubuntu 14.10, and drat. There were a lot of rough edges with Plasma 5 (the libraries/widgets/desktop environment/etc. that will be KDE 5) even up to a few weeks ago, but everything looks fantastic now. I might have to try it out, but I want to make sure that the 3.16 kernel in Utopic doesn't have the btrfs bugs that I've seen described on the btrfs mailing list recently.
I took a peak at Plasma 5 the other day, and as long as all the kinks are worked out, it actually looks pretty good. Easier on the eyes than Plasma 4.

I'm still using Xubuntu 14.04 as the primary OS for my linux desktop though.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I have a machine with 14.04 LTS which has active directory integration turned on so that anyone on the domain can log on.

How can I add apps to the launcher so that they appear for all users who login to this machine ?

edit:
Answered own question

http://askubuntu.com/questions/363754/how-can-i-set-default-applications-in-unity-launcher-for-other-users

jre fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2014

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've been using Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop for a while, so I wanted to make the switch on my desktop computer as well. As much as I like it, I don't think I can stick with it - my two biggest gripes are that I can't seem to get my printer (which is hooked up to the router) to work, and that OpenConnect just crashes the network manager when I try to connect to my university's VPN. I googled both problems, which didn't turn up more than "Yup, network printers are tricky" and "openconnect is fine". Does anyone here maybe have any ideas what else I could try?

Edit: Solved the printer issue, turned out to be pretty specific to my router and also due to my ignance.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 28, 2014

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Is OpenConnect the linux version of the official AnyConnect client, or is it a FLOSS implementation? If so, can you try using the AnyConnect client?
Alternate option: consider bribing one of your University's network people with beer in exchange for any tips they might have... odds are they're using linux themselves.

edit: yeah openconnect is not the official client. I'd give the official client a shot and see if it works, which would at least give you VPN access even if it's not as nice as openconnect, and then you can troubleshoot openconnect later.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 29, 2014

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

I am not a book posted:

edit: yeah openconnect is not the official client. I'd give the official client a shot and see if it works, which would at least give you VPN access even if it's not as nice as openconnect, and then you can troubleshoot openconnect later.

I didn't try AnyConnect initially because the instructions on my university's website specifically said to use OpenConnect over AnyConnect. I've tried it now, and it produces the same error message as OpenConnect, the instant that I hit 'connect'. This happens on two different computers I've tried, too, so I guess poo poo is just hosed.

Also, is there an easy way of changing the behavior of fullscreen flash video? It always opens on the wrong monitor (I haven't found a way to set a primary monitor as I would in windows), and minimizes the second I click on something on the other screen - annoying as hell. Also, thanks for your help!

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

I didn't try AnyConnect initially because the instructions on my university's website specifically said to use OpenConnect over AnyConnect. I've tried it now, and it produces the same error message as OpenConnect, the instant that I hit 'connect'. This happens on two different computers I've tried, too, so I guess poo poo is just hosed.

What's the error message?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Since 12.10, I'm unable to connect to anything through my network card. I've looked around before and it seems like the network card isn't detected. Everything works perfectly if I boot and try the release without installing. Unfortunately, once it's installed it stops working. I never had any problems with 12.04 or earlier, so I'm wondering what the cause is.

I'm not asking for a step by step guide on fixing this, just seeing if anyone else is aware of it or has had the same problem.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Yvershek posted:

Since 12.10, I'm unable to connect to anything through my network card. I've looked around before and it seems like the network card isn't detected. Everything works perfectly if I boot and try the release without installing. Unfortunately, once it's installed it stops working. I never had any problems with 12.04 or earlier, so I'm wondering what the cause is.

I'm not asking for a step by step guide on fixing this, just seeing if anyone else is aware of it or has had the same problem.
Naively I would guess that a particular package isn't installed.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Any idea what it's using when I'm able to connect while trying from a disk? It's strange to me that installing onto a drive makes it stop working.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Yvershek posted:

Any idea what it's using when I'm able to connect while trying from a disk? It's strange to me that installing onto a drive makes it stop working.

"lsusb -k" from the disk.

Then "dpkg -s /path/to/driver.ko"

Install that package, or list it here. The installer kernel should be the same as the installed kernel, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I've been using Ubuntu for over a year now and I like it. It's nice not having to throw $100 at Microsoft every time I want to build a new box. My gaming habits have also slowed so considerably that the offerings on Linux are more than enough to keep me occupied even if driver support is shoddy sometimes. Still, I've never actually done anything to understand what's going on it terminal. I've used it plenty when following this or that guide, but I don't actually really understand what I'm doing or what it's doing and I would like to "get" Ubuntu on a base level. What would be a good way to learn for someone who would largely be considered a complete Linux novice?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The French Army! posted:

I've been using Ubuntu for over a year now and I like it. It's nice not having to throw $100 at Microsoft every time I want to build a new box. My gaming habits have also slowed so considerably that the offerings on Linux are more than enough to keep me occupied even if driver support is shoddy sometimes. Still, I've never actually done anything to understand what's going on it terminal. I've used it plenty when following this or that guide, but I don't actually really understand what I'm doing or what it's doing and I would like to "get" Ubuntu on a base level. What would be a good way to learn for someone who would largely be considered a complete Linux novice?

Start setting up random things, but things that would still be useful to you. Make a linux box for a local shared FTP server to move files around. Set up SSH and VNC to securely remote desktop around from your other boxes (I'm VNC'd into my Lubuntu laptop right now from work to perform not-work-appropriate internet searches). Set up a LAMP stack. Get Samba going and start backing up stuff from your Windows machines. Stuff like that should give you lots of CLI experience as well as some fun network resources to play around with once you're done.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
My Ubuntu machine's (wired) LAN does not work after boot unless the computer has been completely without power (as in cut the power from the switch in the power supply)

If the computer is shut down, but still connected to the mains, or if I just reboot the computer, in the login screen it will say that Wired Connection 1 has been disconnected.

e: Correction: seems like it's fine after a reboot (I just did one after a software update).

Wheany fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 15, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Yvershek posted:

Maybe you are missing a firmware package. Google to see if your adaptor needs a firmware blob.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I only have noticed the problem under Ubuntu 14.04 (although it's probably a VLC issue).

I stream TV from an HDHomeRun. It uses DLNA for the network stuff. The stream is MPEG2 video, AC3 audio.

There are cable "hiccups" every now and then (gently caress you, Charter) that cause a ~1 second blip in the data received. With any TV in the house or any Windows system running VLC, this results in the picture getting blocky and the sound cutting out for ~1 second. Then everything returns to normal.

If I have a system booted to Ubuntu Linux, VLC loses audio completely during this "blip" and it doesn't come back. Video returns to normal but there is no sound. VLC has to reload the stream completely in order to decode sound again.

How do I begin troubleshooting something like this? Are there other AC3 codecs for Ubuntu I could try? Why would audio cut out if the stream is lost for a second?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomorph posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I only have noticed the problem under Ubuntu 14.04 (although it's probably a VLC issue).

I stream TV from an HDHomeRun. It uses DLNA for the network stuff. The stream is MPEG2 video, AC3 audio.

There are cable "hiccups" every now and then (gently caress you, Charter) that cause a ~1 second blip in the data received. With any TV in the house or any Windows system running VLC, this results in the picture getting blocky and the sound cutting out for ~1 second. Then everything returns to normal.

If I have a system booted to Ubuntu Linux, VLC loses audio completely during this "blip" and it doesn't come back. Video returns to normal but there is no sound. VLC has to reload the stream completely in order to decode sound again.

How do I begin troubleshooting something like this? Are there other AC3 codecs for Ubuntu I could try? Why would audio cut out if the stream is lost for a second?

I had this problem, both with my Raspberry Pi running OpenElec with codec purchased and with my main computer. I noticed my entire network was pushing 10 years old so I replaced it with Gigabit stuff and haven't had a problem since.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
So I have a desktop and a laptop that both have Ubuntu. I have a folder shared on the desktop. I can browse to it on the laptop, but when I try to drag a folder to it, it won't let me. What settings do I need to change where?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

YouTuber posted:

I had this problem, both with my Raspberry Pi running OpenElec with codec purchased and with my main computer. I noticed my entire network was pushing 10 years old so I replaced it with Gigabit stuff and haven't had a problem since.

Well, my network has pretty newish Cat6 cables, newish Gigabit switch, and newish Gigabit router. The distances between the cable coming into the house, the TV tuner, and the computer is under 10 feet or so. I don't think the network is the issue.

Besides, the TV going out is an issue with the cable service. Like, from the coax straight to my "real" TV, so networking isn't causing the dropouts there. If my house had just a TV (and no computers or network), I'd still get a signal drop every now and then (thanks, Charter!).

Windows running VLC is using the network, and the TV dropouts cause it no problem. Just like my "real" TV, it just gets the blocky image and momentary pause in sound, then resumes like normal.

Linux running VLC is where the issue is. It drops audio and never "recovers". I have to re-start the stream to it (which usually involves me having to physically hit a kid key on the keyboard), which has become such a pain that I've simply stopped using Linux at home. I've only been using it recently to watch TV, and that doesn't work right anymore.

I'd like to figure out what or where the problem is. Is VLC on Linux that much different than it is on Windows? Is the AC3 codec it uses that much different than on Windows? Shouldn't these codecs and streaming programs have some sort of error recovery? If its getting millions of packets streamed to it, why gently caress up completely and shut everything down when 1 packet has an error?

Is there another DLNA compatible media player out there that I could try? I've only used VLC on Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS... Which is another thing, VLC on iOS doesn't decode AC3, which is a huge pain. Other streaming apps have in-app purchases for AC3, but not VLC.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Xenomorph posted:

which usually involves me having to physically hit a kid
:stare:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xenomorph posted:

Well, my network has pretty newish Cat6 cables, newish Gigabit switch, and newish Gigabit router. The distances between the cable coming into the house, the TV tuner, and the computer is under 10 feet or so. I don't think the network is the issue.

Besides, the TV going out is an issue with the cable service. Like, from the coax straight to my "real" TV, so networking isn't causing the dropouts there. If my house had just a TV (and no computers or network), I'd still get a signal drop every now and then (thanks, Charter!).

Windows running VLC is using the network, and the TV dropouts cause it no problem. Just like my "real" TV, it just gets the blocky image and momentary pause in sound, then resumes like normal.

Linux running VLC is where the issue is. It drops audio and never "recovers". I have to re-start the stream to it (which usually involves me having to physically hit a kid on the keyboard), which has become such a pain that I've simply stopped using Linux at home. I've only been using it recently to watch TV, and that doesn't work right anymore.

I'd like to figure out what or where the problem is. Is VLC on Linux that much different than it is on Windows? Is the AC3 codec it uses that much different than on Windows? Shouldn't these codecs and streaming programs have some sort of error recovery? If its getting millions of packets streamed to it, why gently caress up completely and shut everything down when 1 packet has an error?

Is there another DLNA compatible media player out there that I could try? I've only used VLC on Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS... Which is another thing, VLC on iOS doesn't decode AC3, which is a huge pain. Other streaming apps have in-app purchases for AC3, but not VLC.

You can try using mplayer or something else. Are you transcoding to h.264? Use that instead of mpeg2.

I don't think vlc uses liba52, so you may need to open a bug against vlc about it, but I'd try mpeg4 with ac3 or aac first

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

evol262 posted:

You can try using mplayer or something else. Are you transcoding to h.264? Use that instead of mpeg2.

I don't think vlc uses liba52, so you may need to open a bug against vlc about it, but I'd try mpeg4 with ac3 or aac first

I use an HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard). It is MPEG2 + AC3, only, as that is what the cable company & over the air stations broadcast with.

Does mplayer let me manually open an http stream? Does it handle plain old MPEG2 & AC3?

UPnP has been hilariously broken in VLC on Windows in every build after 2.0.8 (even the 3.0.0 builds are still broken), so "turning on TV" consists of me just double-clicking a Playlist file that I've updated with a text editor to point to the stream.

If mplayer works I could easily just switch to that.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xenomorph posted:

I use an HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard). It is MPEG2 + AC3, only, as that is what the cable company & over the air stations broadcast with.

Does mplayer let me manually open an http stream? Does it handle plain old MPEG2 & AC3?

UPnP has been hilariously broken in VLC on Windows in every build after 2.0.8 (even the 3.0.0 builds are still broken), so "turning on TV" consists of me just double-clicking a Playlist file that I've updated with a text editor to point to the stream.

If mplayer works I could easily just switch to that.

Is it proper DLNA with CDS and CMS and all that, or just a raw http stream?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

evol262 posted:

Is it proper DLNA with CDS and CMS and all that, or just a raw http stream?

I have no idea.

However, things are working differently with MPlayer. Audio has not cut out once, but I'm noticing that sometimes audio & video get out of sync, and then audio skips around while it "catches up" and things normalize. CPU usage stays pretty low while this is happening, so I don't know what it is causing it.

SMPlayer is just a front-end to MPlayer, and I keep messing with various options, trying to see if anything I click actually changes anything.

How do I find out more about the stream?

The SMPlayer app says this:
Demuxer: lavfpref
Video: 18000 kbps, 29.97 fps, ffmpeg2
Audio: 192 kbps, 48000 Hz, ffac3

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
15.04 was released today. Highlights include systemd and Plasma (KDE framework) 5.2.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any idea when the Ubuntu Wine Team PPA will be updated? It appears to be stuck on 1.7.38 from March 12th (newest is 1.7.43).

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I bought a Chromebook that will be arriving at my place later today. I intend to install crouton on it and run Ubuntu. Anything I should know about Ubuntu via Chroot? Like limitations and whatnot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

Any idea when the Ubuntu Wine Team PPA will be updated? It appears to be stuck on 1.7.38 from March 12th (newest is 1.7.43).
oops

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Radio Talmudist posted:

I bought a Chromebook that will be arriving at my place later today. I intend to install crouton on it and run Ubuntu. Anything I should know about Ubuntu via Chroot? Like limitations and whatnot.

Are you already experienced in Linux? I'd recommend avoiding launching a full Linux desktop environment as much as possible. Instead, use enter-chroot to access the command line. If you want to launch a graphical application, use xiwi to launch it in a Chrome window (xiwi -T to launch it in a tab). I've found that doing this has forced me to learn a lot of Linux stuff and I really enjoy a workflow involving ChromeOS, a Linux terminal, and only occasionally an X application via xiwi. As awesome as crouton is, don't let it prevent you from using ChromeOS to its fullest.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Are you already experienced in Linux? I'd recommend avoiding launching a full Linux desktop environment as much as possible. Instead, use enter-chroot to access the command line. If you want to launch a graphical application, use xiwi to launch it in a Chrome window (xiwi -T to launch it in a tab). I've found that doing this has forced me to learn a lot of Linux stuff and I really enjoy a workflow involving ChromeOS, a Linux terminal, and only occasionally an X application via xiwi. As awesome as crouton is, don't let it prevent you from using ChromeOS to its fullest.

This is a surprising answer. What, in your view, are the advantages conferred by a workflow involving ChromeOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Trying to minimize my reliance on a chroot desktop has pushed me toward decentralized tools with minimal dependencies. I can work on someone else's computer or a public computer if need be. If I'm working in a computer lab at school, I don't have to awkwardly squeeze my laptop onto the table between the desktops, I can just use the provided computers. If my Chromebook dies I'll have my full environment within ten minutes of turning on a new one. Also, crouton can be finicky, ChromeOS updates require crouton updates and sometimes new workarounds need to be developed by the devs. Sometimes major changes in ChromeOS change what's possible in crouton. For example Google recently replaced X with Freon (at least that's my understanding of what Freon replaced). Not having to rely on graphical stuff gives me some peace of mind.

Also, ChromeOS is really nice. Both web browsing and its window manager will be smoother than anything in a chroot desktop. The window manager has some nice features too. So I'd rather use xiwi and let ChromeOS handle the window management.

Of course, YMMV. For me, the benefits may have come at some up-front cost, like becoming more fluent at the command line, learning new tools, etc. It's not just that I like the workflow but I like what it's forced me to learn. Maybe I'm just handicapping myself, though :shrug:. It also helps that I have a computer in my office that I can install server-client software on, and run stuff remotely. These changes in my workflow have meant that I no longer feel hamstrung when I'm not on my main PC, my workflow is the same wherever I am.

Edit: my other advice is to use chroots to experiment. As the README says, chroots are cheap. Rather than trying to perfect one that you use for everything, make a bunch, especially as you're trying to figure out what works for you.

Also, be wary of running off an SD card. It can be extremely slow even with a fast SD card, and there's a longstanding ChromeOS bug where it doesn't properly remount the SD card after sleep, causing all sorts of problems.

Edit2: Oh, one more reason I like to stick with ChromeOS is I have the Lenovo Yoga 11e, which folds back into tablet mode, and I actually use the touchscreen a fair amount. It's just not the same in a chroot. This was one of the first things that pushed me away from an "all crouton, all the time" workflow.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 27, 2015

• Locked thread