Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
click on all these pieces of poo poo
gcc
clang
icc (intel cool compiler for cool cats)
shaggar diversity wheelchair-burger-king-kid option (msvc)
former amd employee welfare option (open64)
turbo (i dont think so, tim)
ritchie rich c
View Results

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
clang snype :bsdsnype:

all hail our dark master C++14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
c++17 will be the basest of c++s

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
MIPSPro++

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rjmccall posted:

my guess, without reading any gcc code (which i'm not allowed to do, lol), is that linus has actually diagnosed the problem correctly, but it's buried under a long discussion of what's probably a red herring (also under a giant pile of assholeishness). the red zone is almost certainly a distraction here. gcc appears to be spilling a simple constant (which is definitely screwy) to a slot which should be well within the stack frame, except unfortunately it's doing that spill just before the stack frame has actually been established. there isn't normally a reason you'd need to materialize a constant in the prologue; wild guess, there's something weird (inline assembly?) at the start of the function, and some piece of code is trying to position a "hey, i need this constant now" assertion before that and isn't being careful enough to avoid the prologue. that mistake is also confusing the register allocator, hence the spill

u could write pretty much anything about this & that'd work for me

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lunis

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
remember back when SGI was still A Company That's In Business (as opposed to existing in name only, like they do now) and they were gonna donate XFS to linux, but the linux devs were huge assholes to the SGI devs assigned to it?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Doc Block posted:

remember when linux devs were huge assholes?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block posted:

remember linux?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

also the funniest part is that you can still say "hey gcc is bein real fukken dumb!!" without coming across like a whiny little baby but linus and his fans don't seem to get that

but then what do i know, i'm not the person who ~*~invented an operating system~*~ (that only even gained a foothold because bsd was mired in legal issues at the time)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think you mean gnu/linus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

excuse you, linux made a kernel, which is only half of the gnu/linux operating system

hurd will be finished any day now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
When Linus passed away, he was buried in a computer cemetary. A couple days later, the town drunk was walking through the cemetery and heard profanity and fart noises coming from the area where Linus was buried.
Terrified, the drunk ran and got the village technophile to come and listen to it. The technophile bent close to the grave and heard some faint, unrecognizable beeping and the unmistakable sound of farts coming from the grave. Frightened, the technophile ran and got the town programmer.

When the programmer arrived, he bent his ear to the grave, listened for a moment, and said, "Ah, yes, that's the Linux Kernel, being played backwards."

He listened a while longer, and said, "There's the Git source code, and it's backwards, too. Most puzzling."

Suddenly the realization of what was happening dawned on the programmer; he stood up and announced to the crowd that had gathered in the cemetery, "My fellow citizens, there's nothing to worry about. It's just Linus decompiling!"

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pram posted:

i think you mean gnu/linus

if you say gnu/linux three times in a dark room, rms will appear in your emacs buffer and sing the free software song to end the world

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Avenging Dentist posted:

clang snype :bsdsnype:

heil c++1488

#include <gas>

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

When Linus passed away, he was buried in a computer cemetary. A couple days later, the town drunk was walking through the cemetery and heard profanity and fart noises coming from the area where Linus was buried.
Terrified, the drunk ran and got the village technophile to come and listen to it. The technophile bent close to the grave and heard some faint, unrecognizable beeping and the unmistakable sound of farts coming from the grave. Frightened, the technophile ran and got the town programmer.

When the programmer arrived, he bent his ear to the grave, listened for a moment, and said, "Ah, yes, that's the Linux Kernel, being played backwards."

He listened a while longer, and said, "There's the Git source code, and it's backwards, too. Most puzzling."

Suddenly the realization of what was happening dawned on the programmer; he stood up and announced to the crowd that had gathered in the cemetery, "My fellow citizens, there's nothing to worry about. It's just Linus decompiling!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Linus is (somewhat) Finnish and he is neither throwing a tantrum or being rude here. This is how Finns normally communicate and if some stupid third-worlders can't deal with that well then maybe they should just stop being so loving dumb and backwards :shrug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

hey Jerry, are you not accepting ethnic Swedes as Finns? :toughguy:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

or is it just that Linus is a traitor to his country and became a US citizen?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

hey Jerry, are you not accepting ethnic Swedes as Finns? :toughguy:

He was born in Hel-Looksfors, not in Egentliga Finland :smuggo:

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
icc or eat a dick

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

.lnk to the past posted:

icc or eat a dick
do not sign your posts!!!

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

vc++ 6 is and will remain the greatest piece of software ever designed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Egan Yardley posted:

vc++ 6 is and will remain the greatest piece of software ever designed.

it's the greatest IDE, I'll grant you that.

how is Xcode still so bad after all these years?

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
haha I had to support an ancient version of this once because users were complaining that the newer versions changed the results of their climate simulations
turns out the old compiler had bugs with a few math operations that the new ones fixed
users don't care

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do new
compilers make assembler that is better than handcrafted poo poo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
depends on who's handcrafting the poo poo. a modern compiler is probably smarter than you about basic integer/pointer arithmetic, and it knows a lot of subtle crap about instruction ordering and microarchitectural latencies. on the other hand, it's required to follow the platform abi, can easily be blocked by false dependencies, doesn't always know when it's worthwhile to chase trade-offs, doesn't necessarily realize that there's this one perfect instruction for summing the odd bits of a floating-point mantissa, and occasionally just makes bad decisions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a piece of poo poo evidently

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

a piece of poo poo evidently

or is it!!!!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it is possible to assembler better than a computer
it is possible for a computer to better than you
both are possible
one way to find out: do both and profile

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody posted:

both are possible

i would let the computer do it first and then handcode if performance becomes an issue but it is your decision do not let me impede your creativity!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Bloody posted:

both are possible

Ditto. I'll often drop down to node.js if I really need to be close to the metal.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

i would let the computer do it first and then handcode if performance becomes an issue but it is your decision do not let me impede your creativity!

same also lmao at doing this outside of an embedded platform or i guess algotrading but lmao if you algotrade on x86 anyways

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you arent algotrading on asics you're just a loving joke, get out of my face

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

if you arent algotrading on asics you're just a loving joke, get out of my face

and none of that standard cell or gate array garbage either!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ditto. I'll often drop down to node.js if I really need to be close to the metal.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

and none of that standard cell or gate array garbage either!

ure aloud to use fpgas as a stopgap while you wait for your 14nm fab run to come back

i wonder if anybody actually does these things

anybody want to invest in my new fund

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sometimes i load up vs and I'm all like now for some assembly then I'm like wtf am i doing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bloody posted:

ure aloud to use fpgas as a stopgap while you wait for your 14nm fab run to come back

i wonder if anybody actually does these things

anybody want to invest in my new fund

bitcoiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a human can outperform a compiler in tiny chunks and specific optimizations cases. a compiler will do better with general purpose code and problems that require complex register allocation and branching. basically the larger the code, the better the compiler will do.

humans also have more information available to them than the compiler knows about the intention of the code and can do a better job optimizing for the intended purpose.

• Locked thread