Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

to highlight the sadness of jon arbuckle's life, you shouldn't take garfield out of the strip entirely. you should just remove garfield's thought/text bubbles. it's much more poignant to see that jon is actually talking to a thing who will never respond to him than it is to think he's talking to thin air. whoever thought taking the cat out completely was the way to go was an unfunny idiot autist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I was gonna shitpost here but then I thought about it and you're right

wtg OP :thumbsup:

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
There's a bunch of gmg knockoffs that do exactly that op

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

og "garfield without garfield" is particularly exasperating because i've seen media attention and press about it and i think i saw that even jim davis thought it was funny for some reason :negative:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

speaking truth to power op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I've seen that done too

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
iirc the original version of the joke was that, then the garfield without garfield guy based his thing on that by taking it to the next level

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I, too, often wake up in a cold sweat over this revelation.
Why couldn't they just leave Garfield in the comic. Why.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Bolian Blues posted:

iirc the original version of the joke was that, then the garfield without garfield guy based his thing on that by taking it to the next level

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though?

No I also remember seeing "talking to a regular cat" first. GWG seemed like a lazy extension that makes way less sense when you stop to think about it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

where i s lyman ?

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

betaraywil posted:

No I also remember seeing "talking to a regular cat" first. GWG seemed like a lazy extension that makes way less sense when you stop to think about it.

It has the advantage of also working on the "Garfield does something absurd, Jon reacts" comics, though, which, if you removed Garfield's thoughts but not the whole cat, it would still be an owner reacting to the hilarious antics of an exasperating cartoon cat.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I wish for a Something Awful without LifeSizePotato.

naem
May 29, 2011

Maybe you could put some of these comics in the thread huh???

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

this thread is "garfield without garfield without 'garfield without garfield'"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lasagna Cat was the best thing Garfield was ever responsible for
rip Lasagna Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELOiYgR2aI

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
agreed op

Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball!

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
post some examples

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
I wanna see some examples so I can test your hypothesis mr/mrs op

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

why did people ever like this

e: i mean the real garfield

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

a lot of people are dumb and boring

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

LifeSizePotato posted:

to highlight the sadness of jon arbuckle's life, you shouldn't take garfield out of the strip entirely. you should just remove garfield's thought/text bubbles. it's much more poignant to see that jon is actually talking to a thing who will never respond to him than it is to think he's talking to thin air. whoever thought taking the cat out completely was the way to go was an unfunny idiot autist.

This has already been done you idgit.
http://blog.org.es/realfield/

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Yaos posted:

This has already been done you idgit.
http://blog.org.es/realfield/

i'm glad. you can see how those are funnier than gwg

it sounds like just taking out garfield's thought bubbles may have been the original and taking the cat out completely was some autist going too far and not understanding what the joke was really about

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Take out Jon &the text bubbles and you get a cat doing nothing but sleeping and being fat for 2000 pages. funny poo poo right there

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
it was really clever and taking out garffield was essential to make it work

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
we should try the same thing on SA by banning you OP

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

it was really clever and taking out garffield was essential to make it work

that's exactly where you're wrong. i suggest you read my op again

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

LifeSizePotato posted:

look if you left garfield in everyone would still identify with the garfield character and it would just look like garfield was ignoring him. we are all familiar with garfield.

the realfield cat is an attempt to avoid this, but it just is awkward and doesn't work right. realfield was never popular

also let's face it talking to nothing is much more pathetic than talking to a cat, which lots of people do

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

LifeSizePotato posted:

What about the comics where garfield scarfs lasagna or rapes odie, those wouldn't work because jon would be right to get mad even if the cat doesn't talk back.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

raditts posted:

rip Lasagna Cat

for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUNslMcGh8

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

LifeSizePotato posted:

people were actually doing that before garfield minus garfield and you're right it was a lot better

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Kyrie eleison posted:

look if you left garfield in everyone would still identify with the garfield character and it would just look like garfield was ignoring him. we are all familiar with garfield.

the realfield cat is an attempt to avoid this, but it just is awkward and doesn't work right. realfield was never popular

also let's face it talking to nothing is much more pathetic than talking to a cat, which lots of people do

How are you so wrong about everything all the time?

You're an unironic Christian aren't you?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

please don't emptyquote that, it's mean and hurtful

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The thing about 'Garfield without Garfield' is that it's key to remember that the name of it is 'Garfield without Garfield', OP. This implies that the comic strip Garfield should not contain Garfield himself as a character as a point of humor.

If 'Garfield without Garfield' still included Garfield but removed his dialog, the entire point would be missed. Furthermore the concept would have to be renamed to 'Garfield without Garfield's dialog' which isn't as catchy or intuitive as the original.

Thank you.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Big Beef City posted:

The thing about 'Garfield without Garfield' is that it's key to remember that the name of it is 'Garfield without Garfield', OP. This implies that the comic strip Garfield should not contain Garfield himself as a character as a point of humor.

If 'Garfield without Garfield' still included Garfield but removed his dialog, the entire point would be missed. Furthermore the concept would have to be renamed to 'Garfield without Garfield's dialog' which isn't as catchy or intuitive as the original.

Thank you.

spot on, the concept of the strip is funnier than the strip itself.

landy.
Jan 20, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fellis posted:

we should try the same thing on SA by banning you OP

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
how do u feel about marmaduke explained, op?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

rip Lasagna Cat

it's a shame the first lasagna cat (this one) is the best one. goddamn

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Medieval Medic posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I'm fairly confident you can't spend this much energy thinking about Internet jokes from like five years ago and then turn around and call other people autistic OP

• Locked thread