Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Spider-Man 2000

Red and blue costume? Check. Puts responsibility and the safety of others before all else? Check. Spider-Man 2000 is a rather ambitious action/adventure game loosely based on the 90s animated series. It features a respectable mix of several different gameplay genres, Stan Lee, dynamic music by Tommy Tallarico, and a fast-paced episodic story.

What kind of LP is this?

Video, post-commentary, 100%. I'll show off all the costumes and comic covers, as well as the training modes and various hidden areas. Even the silliest of slippery secrets.

Why should I care?

Spider-Man 2000 came out around a time when developers still weren't completely sure what to do with that extra third dimension, and instead of aiming for platforming, or action, or stealth, 2000 decided it was going for the whole pot. It's also one of the earliest action games to make proper use of 3D combat, providing a variety of situations you can tackle from multiple angles, and a reliable auto-lock that made taking out enemies in any direction flawlessly simple. It also features an over-arching story with pretty marvelous pacing, and keeps a tone consistent with both the 90s series and comics simultaneously.

Oh, and it controls splendidly.

Who made this game?

The original game was developed by Neversoft, but it was later ported to the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64. The N64 version contains the most differences, adding extra graphical effects and changing the cutscenes to comic book panels instead of FMV.

So how about it? Let's save New York City. Just don't spoil anything.

Episode List

#1. The Bank Heist

#2. Sting of the Scorpion

#3. Rhino's Rampage

#3.5 Who is Spider-Man?

#4. Enter Venom

#5. The Invasion

#5.5 Sling That Web

#6. To Trap A Spider

#6.5 Breaking the Bosses

#7. Hidden Comics

#8. Webless Run

#9. Everything Else

Fan-Art

That's everything! Thank you for watching!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
Ooh, another Spider-Man LP right away? I'll have to do the same with this one after the last video is posted, hopefully.

Your Edge LP did get me to pick up Shattered Dimensions, Battle for New York, and Web of Shadows, though I haven't tried them yet... I'm going to bring them along with my DS, since the last couple of times, the hospital staff didn't have a problem with me playing it, as long as I kept the wireless off and sound low so the other patients could sleep.

This wasn't a BAD game, just horribly mediocre for the most part. Worst part of the game, hands down, is that for some reason I can't place for the life of me, that green fog/mist/nerve gas/etc. annoy(s/ed) me to no end. I mean, I understand WHY it has to be there in the game, technical limitations and all of everything, and storyline-wise why it exists, but why did they choose to make it such a nauseatingly greenish green is the thing.

First piece of fan-art from your youngest fan, perhaps? (He watches/reads a lot of LP's over my shoulder.)

Click here for the full 451x622 image

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

thetrueoskar posted:

Ooh, another Spider-Man LP right away? I'll have to do the same with this one after the last video is posted, hopefully.

Your Edge LP did get me to pick up Shattered Dimensions, Battle for New York, and Web of Shadows, though I haven't tried them yet... I'm going to bring them along with my DS, since the last couple of times, the hospital staff didn't have a problem with me playing it, as long as I kept the wireless off and sound low so the other patients could sleep.

This wasn't a BAD game, just horribly mediocre for the most part. Worst part of the game, hands down, is that for some reason I can't place for the life of me, that green fog/mist/nerve gas/etc. annoy(s/ed) me to no end. I mean, I understand WHY it has to be there in the game, technical limitations and all of everything, and storyline-wise why it exists, but why did they choose to make it such a nauseatingly greenish green is the thing.

First piece of fan-art from your youngest fan, perhaps? (He watches/reads a lot of LP's over my shoulder.)

Click here for the full 451x622 image

I hope those games bring you some good entertainment. Shattered Dimensions and Web of Shadows are side-scrolling brawlers/platformers, and Battle for New York is a 3D adventure/brawler.

2000's sequel, Enter Electro, did away with the fog and had far more varied game design, so you should check that out whenever you get the chance. I just have a big soft spot for the original for fitting with Spidey's character so well.

Thank you for the image, also! He's adorable, and I love the comic book speech balloon and image name. Best of luck to both of you.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My favorite thing about this game, all nostalgia aside, is the wonderful array of secrets that you're contractually obligated to show off. They are seriously great.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

My favorite thing about this game, all nostalgia aside, is the wonderful array of secrets that you're contractually obligated to show off. They are seriously great.

I'll get them all, don't worry. Even the billboards.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I never saw that opening. I played this game a lot but somehow don't remember the intro at all. I remember the Bank Heist, but not the intro. It's weird.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

I never saw that opening. I played this game a lot but somehow don't remember the intro at all. I remember the Bank Heist, but not the intro. It's weird.

Which version did you play? The game's story is almost incomprehensible in the N64 version.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Which version did you play? The game's story is almost incomprehensible in the N64 version.

Pretty sure it was N64 yeah. So did they just cut out the opening cut scene entirely in that version?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

Pretty sure it was N64 yeah. So did they just cut out the opening cut scene entirely in that version?

They replaced the FMV sequences with really obtuse comic book panels. The panels consisted of screenshots of the FMV and some text. It was very hard to follow. I never understood the story until I played the PS1 version.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's Spider-Man to the rescue in today's issue, Sting of the Scorpion.

PopcornSuicide
May 6, 2007
This is definitely bringing back some memories, couldn't even tell you how many times I played through this as a kid. Loving your LP style, will you be going through the sequel too?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PopcornSuicide posted:

This is definitely bringing back some memories, couldn't even tell you how many times I played through this as a kid. Loving your LP style, will you be going through the sequel too?

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I played this game a pretty absurd amount too.

I will be LPing the sequel, but not immediately after this one. I think it's better in a lot of ways, but it's also much harder, and I want to be good enough to show it off.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Updates will take a little while longer. It'll be two at once when I can manage it. My apologies everyone!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I could swear this game had much better graphics back in the day. Certainly didn't remember Black Cat looking more like Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie than herself. :v:

That's PS1-era 3D for you, I guess. The gameplay still seems decent enough, at least, and I like the presentation and all the different stuff Spidey can do. My inner spider-sperg wants to say that impact webbing was only ever used by Ben Reilly in the comics :goonsay:, but I think we're all better off ignoring that and pretending the clone saga never happened.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 12, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

I could swear this game had much better graphics better back in the day. Certainly didn't remember Black Cat looking more like Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie than herself. :v:

That's PS1-era 3D for you, I guess. The gameplay still seems decent enough, at least, and I like the presentation and all the different stuff Spidey can do. My inner spider-sperg wants to say that impact webbing was only ever used by Ben Reilly in the comics :goonsay:, but I think we're all better off ignoring that and pretending the clone saga never happened.

I had no idea Impact Webbing actually came from somewhere in the comics. Or maybe I did and I just forgot. Either way, that's a relatively important piece of knowledge!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not 100% sure if it was actually called impact webbing in the original comics (being from Finland I've mainly read the comics in Finnish, and they used a couple of different translations that can be roughly translated back to "impact webbing"), but Ben Reilly definitely used those little web grenade things all the time. He originally invented them to help him fight Venom.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

OH NO MAN posted:

My inner spider-sperg wants to say that impact webbing was only ever used by Ben Reilly in the comics :goonsay:, but I think we're all better off ignoring that and pretending the clone saga never happened.
I wanna say that the thing that knocks mooks out is just regular web spun into balls, something that Spider-Man has done for a long time. Impact webbing works differently - small pellet or other solid object that expands and spreads webs on target impact. I can think of only two instances in the comics where it was more useful than regular webs (fighting Venom and then vs Doctor Octopus II) - a big part of it is an excuse to 90's up Spider-Man.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
This was my favorute game as a kid. I was so sad when I guy I lent it too snapped the disk in half. Still this LP should bring back a few good memories. Are you planning on showing off the costumes in regular gameplay or as bonus videos?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I played this game a lot on the N64. I didn't even know until a few years ago that it even released on other platforms. Sadly my game would never actually save so I would always have to start from the beginning whenever I played. I can't wait until we get to the parts I don't know like the back of my hand.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I played the hell out of this game on the n64, but I never got the memory thing certain games needed so I never got past the Daily Bugle areas- my younger brother did but rage quit on the last boss. Definitely looking forward to seeing this game played competently.

Also, given the ringing in the beginning, I think J. Jonah Jameson dialed Peter Parker to yell at him to dial 911, which is the most JJJ thing and I love it :allears:

Feuerspiel
Apr 27, 2013
Oh wow, this game :allears:. This was my first spiderman game and I have very fond memories of it. The let's play has already convinved me to dust off Ultimate and Web of Shadows so keep up the good work.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I loved this game so much as a kid, it was one of the first licensed games that nailed the feel of the character, and wasn't just a generic beat-em-up with a comic book reskin. Spider-sense as a gameplay element, tons of web attacks, suprisingly decent camera, it just gels together so well. They nailed the humor too. Also a lot of idiosyncracies - pre-rendered(-in-game-engine) cutscenes, pointless Marvel cameos, music that consists of tinny 5-second loops and a poo poo-ton of secrets, costumes, codes and other hidden stuff that would've been DLC nowadays. It wears its late-90s heritage proud.

I like the commentary style, nice and informative, I never would've thought that this game has enough depth to talk at length but you seem to be doing fine. Can't wait for the Venom fight, I remember it being the most awkward boss fight ever so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's supposed to be done.

OH NO MAN posted:

I could swear this game had much better graphics back in the day. Certainly didn't remember Black Cat looking more like Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie than herself. :v:
You may have played the Dreamcast/PC port, they improved the models and textures (and by extension the cinematics) for that one. Spidey had his web pattern on the suit, they gave Black Cat a mask and a human face, and Doc Ock looked like fat Napoleon Dynamite for some reason.

I'm glad GamesAreSupernice chose the PSX version though, its ugliness is mesmerising. Doc Ock looks nothing like his banner during the conference and Venom's teeth don't even align properly with his face texture, it's wonderful. :allears:

Also, bit of a correction for the OP, Christopher Daniel Barnes didn't voice Spidey in this game. Instead they used Rino Romano from the Spider-man Unlimited animated series, which was also referenced as a costume in this game and then in nothing else because it was an awful piece of poo poo.
I think Doc Ock's actor is the only returning VA from the Fox series.

edit - Oh yeah, there was also Jennifer Hale returning as Michael Jackson Black Cat.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 15, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I wanna say that the thing that knocks mooks out is just regular web spun into balls, something that Spider-Man has done for a long time. Impact webbing works differently - small pellet or other solid object that expands and spreads webs on target impact. I can think of only two instances in the comics where it was more useful than regular webs (fighting Venom and then vs Doctor Octopus II) - a big part of it is an excuse to 90's up Spider-Man.

Good to know. I'm not sure why I seem to remember it being called impact webbing.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

This was my favorute game as a kid. I was so sad when I guy I lent it too snapped the disk in half. Still this LP should bring back a few good memories. Are you planning on showing off the costumes in regular gameplay or as bonus videos?

In bonus videos. The game is short enough that I can show off the costumes in edited runs. Some of them kinda break the challenge and I don't want that for the main videos.

Warmal posted:

I played this game a lot on the N64. I didn't even know until a few years ago that it even released on other platforms. Sadly my game would never actually save so I would always have to start from the beginning whenever I played. I can't wait until we get to the parts I don't know like the back of my hand.

A lot of people sadly seem intimate with the 64 version. Not that it's a bad port, but the story is rather hard to follow.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I played the hell out of this game on the n64, but I never got the memory thing certain games needed so I never got past the Daily Bugle areas- my younger brother did but rage quit on the last boss. Definitely looking forward to seeing this game played competently.

Also, given the ringing in the beginning, I think J. Jonah Jameson dialed Peter Parker to yell at him to dial 911, which is the most JJJ thing and I love it :allears:

A part of me really hopes that's how that cutscene was intended.

Feuerspiel posted:

Oh wow, this game :allears:. This was my first spiderman game and I have very fond memories of it. The let's play has already convinved me to dust off Ultimate and Web of Shadows so keep up the good work.

Don't forget to show Johnny a thing or two.

Pizdec posted:

I loved this game so much as a kid, it was one of the first licensed games that nailed the feel of the character, and wasn't just a generic beat-em-up with a comic book reskin. Spider-sense as a gameplay element, tons of web attacks, suprisingly decent camera, it just gels together so well. They nailed the humor too. Also a lot of idiosyncracies - pre-rendered(-in-game-engine) cutscenes, pointless Marvel cameos, music that consists of tinny 5-second loops and a poo poo-ton of secrets, costumes, codes and other hidden stuff that would've been DLC nowadays. It wears its late-90s heritage proud.

I like the commentary style, nice and informative, I never would've thought that this game has enough depth to talk at length but you seem to be doing fine. Can't wait for the Venom fight, I remember it being the most awkward boss fight ever so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's supposed to be done.

You may have played the Dreamcast/PC port, they improved the models and textures (and by extension the cinematics) for that one. Spidey had his web pattern on the suit, they gave Black Cat a mask and a human face, and Doc Ock looked like fat Napoleon Dynamite for some reason.

I'm glad GamesAreSupernice chose the PSX version though, its ugliness is mesmerising. Doc Ock looks nothing like his banner during the conference and Venom's teeth don't even align properly with his face texture, it's wonderful. :allears:

Also, bit of a correction for the OP, Christopher Daniel Barnes didn't voice Spidey in this game. Instead they used Rino Romano from the Spider-man Unlimited animated series, which was also referenced as a costume in this game and then in nothing else because it was an awful piece of poo poo.
I think Doc Ock's actor is the only returning VA from the Fox series.

edit - Oh yeah, there was also Jennifer Hale returning as Michael Jackson Black Cat.

I think that's why I like this game so much, as well. It really nails the feeling of the comics.

The game design actually has quite a bit to it, and I really wanted to show off how hard it tried to be atypical for an action game.

I always confused Rino with Barnes, because Rino tries really hard to sound like Spidey from the original Fox series.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We've got two short videos this time around, though the next chapter is by far the longest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Pizdec posted:

Nah, I only played the Playstation version, briefly at that. I must have seen screenshots of the Dreamcast/PC version, or possibly I just didn't think the PS version looked that bad at the time and just forgot about it.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Yeah, I figured they just had these web grenades in the game and called them impact webbing even though they didn't really work like Ben Reilly's impact webbing in the comics (which would be understandable, because I can't see that effect turning out very well on this game engine). Guess that was wrong and the game doesn't call it impact webbing after all!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I loved the analysis, it makes for a nice gimmick for the LP. I think my favourite version of Spidey's origin comes from the Ultimate comics, they really took their sweet time with it and delved into how Peter evolved into Spider-man (morality-wise, not just power-wise). The movies got progressively worse with it IMO, and the cartoons never bothered with the origin story.

I love how Rhino wasted his last sliver of life on smashing into the wall, not even hitting a barrel or the electric generator thing. So in-character for him.

Also, I love this game's version of Eddie Brock Venom, it's my second favourite next to Spectacular Spider-man. The game was made during the tail-end of Venom's popularity when people were already tired of the hardcore 90s crap, so they made him goofy as poo poo. When Venom kidnaps MJ and wants to make this known, the comic book Venom would stalk Spidey in his home to creep the poo poo out of him, the movie version writes out a message in webs, but this fucker just hijacks a giant telescreen, rants for hours on end and calls it a "Venom Marathon". It's what Venom would be if he was created in the 60s and I love it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

I loved the analysis, it makes for a nice gimmick for the LP. I think my favourite version of Spidey's origin comes from the Ultimate comics, they really took their sweet time with it and delved into how Peter evolved into Spider-man (morality-wise, not just power-wise). The movies got progressively worse with it IMO, and the cartoons never bothered with the origin story.

I love how Rhino wasted his last sliver of life on smashing into the wall, not even hitting a barrel or the electric generator thing. So in-character for him.

Also, I love this game's version of Eddie Brock Venom, it's my second favourite next to Spectacular Spider-man. The game was made during the tail-end of Venom's popularity when people were already tired of the hardcore 90s crap, so they made him goofy as poo poo. When Venom kidnaps MJ and wants to make this known, the comic book Venom would stalk Spidey in his home to creep the poo poo out of him, the movie version writes out a message in webs, but this fucker just hijacks a giant telescreen, rants for hours on end and calls it a "Venom Marathon". It's what Venom would be if he was created in the 60s and I love it.

That's also my favorite origin story for Spidey. As you said, it went far more in-depth than usual.

The 90s FOX cartoon told his origin somewhere around season 3, but it's reasonably close to the original version.

They made Venom a pretty big goofball here, but that doesn't stop him from having menacing moments, or Spidey from getting furious, which is a good balance.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Oh wow, I had never heard of this game before!

Black Cat, honey, what did they DO to you? (probably the same thing they did to poor Otto's shoulders)

I like the use of tactics in this game, both on your part and the AI's, and the analysis of Spidey in ep. 3.5 was really well done!

So far this game reminds me a little of the Secret of the Sinister Six novel, where a fellow called the Gentleman got the SS to basically put Spidey through an all-day gauntlet to cover one of his own heists.

Hmmm. Otto helping capture Rhino? It almost looks like they're going to play up his Master Planner angle a little bit...

And goofball Venom is kind of hilarious, I gotta say. Sure, why not call up the designated hero on a Jumbo-tron to gloat and threaten his girlfriend? I can see where Megamind got the idea! Clearly, it is all about presentation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God, that Black Cat face texture. Peter has a reasonable face!

...also kind of weird that there's this crisis in New York and none of the other superheroes are actually doing much. I was half expecting Daredevil to swing in and kick Venom upside the head or something during his rant.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Seasonal sickness is making it rather hard to do commentary. To prevent sniffling noises during recording, the next update will have to wait a little bit. Sorry everyone!

Glazius posted:

God, that Black Cat face texture. Peter has a reasonable face!

...also kind of weird that there's this crisis in New York and none of the other superheroes are actually doing much. I was half expecting Daredevil to swing in and kick Venom upside the head or something during his rant.

I like to imagine there are dozens of other crimes going on at the same time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

And now for the next item on our agenda: chasing down Venom.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Yesss, I was waiting for "Surf the web" to come up. Best character in the game. :swoon:

Like I've stated before, I remembered the first Venom fight being very awkward, and it turns out it kind of is. Just shoot web balls at him and hope you don't run out, because then you're hosed. I recall I usually resorted to just jump kicking and hopping back endlessly, it was so tedious. And for some reason you get free web gloves at the beginning which implies you have to glove-punch him, but if you do he'll just lick you to death.

There's another thing that makes this fight really jarring but I'd have to write out a bit of a tirade to explain it. So I will.

Basically another thing that I've realized this game does really well is translate how Spider-man uses his environment in his fighting style. Since a lot of his opponents outmatch him physically, he has to use his wits and science background to survive (SSM also presented this really well, the movies kinda didn't). With Rhino you had to trick him into slamming into a wall/generator because otherwise he'll just punch you out and laugh, with Scorpion you also have a choice of throwing furniture at him and taking advantage of the cramped and throwable-stuff-rich environment around them (with the added bonus of wrecking Jameson's office :hellyeah:). I'm talking about this like it's some genius bit of game design when it's really not, puzzle bosses have been a thing since at least Super Mario Bros, yet for some reason developers rarely used anything beyond "use punch on boss" in previous Spider-man games, at least the ones I played. Even newer games struggle with this sometimes.

So then you play through this game which makes you feel like Spidey, figuring out how you can outsmart your opponents, then you get to Venom, an opponent that outmatches Spidey in every aspect except intelligence, and it's just... web balls until the end of time. So disappointing. :(

On a more positive note, I really like the effect of the symbiote tendrils on Venom. Actually there are a lot of neat graphical touches, like the knots on your webbing or the billboards strewn everywhere. It slightly elevates the game graphically beyond its PSX-era pedigree.

BTW. Not related to the game, but I like your LPing style and you have a nice Tekken Devil Within one on your channel, is that for a thread because I can't find one.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 26, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Yesss, I was waiting for "Surf the web" to come up. Best character in the game. :swoon:

Like I've stated before, I remembered the first Venom fight being very awkward, and it turns out it kind of is. Just shoot web balls at him and hope you don't run out, because then you're hosed. I recall I usually resorted to just jump kicking and hopping back endlessly, it was so tedious. And for some reason you get free web gloves at the beginning which implies you have to glove-punch him, but if you do he'll just lick you to death.

There's another thing that makes this fight really jarring but I'd have to write out a bit of a tirade to explain it. So I will.

Basically another thing that I've realized this game does really well is translate how Spider-man uses his environment in his fighting style. Since a lot of his opponents outmatch him physically, he has to use his wits and science background to survive (SSM also presented this really well, the movies kinda didn't). With Rhino you had to trick him into slamming into a wall/generator because otherwise he'll just punch you out and laugh, with Scorpion you also have a choice of throwing furniture at him and taking advantage of the cramped and throwable-stuff-rich environment around them (with the added bonus of wrecking Jameson's office :hellyeah:). I'm talking about this like it's some genius bit of game design when it's really not, puzzle bosses have been a thing since at least Super Mario Bros, yet for some reason developers rarely used anything beyond "use punch on boss" in previous Spider-man games, at least the ones I played. Even newer games struggle with this sometimes.

So then you play through this game which makes you feel like Spidey, figuring out how you can outsmart your opponents, then you get to Venom, an opponent that outmatches Spidey in every aspect except intelligence, and it's just... web balls until the end of time. So disappointing. :(

On a more positive note, I really like the effect of the symbiote tendrils on Venom. Actually there are a lot of neat graphical touches, like the knots on your webbing or the billboards strewn everywhere. It slightly elevates the game graphically beyond its PSX-era pedigree.

BTW. Not related to the game, but I like your LPing style and you have a nice Tekken Devil Within one on your channel, is that for a thread because I can't find one.

My favorite thing about the game by far is how well it integrates Spider-Man's character and abilities into the gameplay. I think with Venom they must've just been stumped, and rather than resort to pulling new game mechanics out, just decided to go with impact webbing. Don't worry though, the next bosses are pretty puzzley and environmenty.

And agreed, the presentation helped make the game stand out more on the PS1 than it otherwise would have.

The thread for the Devil Within LP is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659053

I'm going to be updating it as soon as I get enough practice in on the final stage.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I had this game for the PC when I was younger and liked it despite being terrible at it. Very much enjoying seeing it played by someone competent.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rogue0071 posted:

I had this game for the PC when I was younger and liked it despite being terrible at it. Very much enjoying seeing it played by someone competent.

Looking at the control scheme for the PC version, it's pretty cool how they tried to mimic the console face buttons with the numpad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"So we're going to go to Jameson--"

"WE HATE JAMESON!"

"As I was saying, we're going to go be a dick to Jameson."

"WE'RE IN!"

Venom is a little too flip after what he just put Spidey through, but y'know, alien though process and all.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this issue, things get even more infinitely worse.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sling that web, web-head.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
I thought his web lasted 24 hours back in either the 60's or 90's cartoon? They must have changed it to an hour recently.

I found a site a few months ago where a scientist sat down and figured out exactly what the tensile strength, volume, elasticity and so on of his webs was. Wish I could find it again, it has a bunch of articles on other superheroes if they existed in real life, too. Also they got a marine professor to figure out how much radioactive urine Godzilla would expel per day (10 thousand gallons, I think it was?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008

thetrueoskar posted:

I thought his web lasted 24 hours back in either the 60's or 90's cartoon? They must have changed it to an hour recently.

I found a site a few months ago where a scientist sat down and figured out exactly what the tensile strength, volume, elasticity and so on of his webs was. Wish I could find it again, it has a bunch of articles on other superheroes if they existed in real life, too. Also they got a marine professor to figure out how much radioactive urine Godzilla would expel per day (10 thousand gallons, I think it was?).

If they did, that was a change; one to two hours was definitely the plan from the early issues I read.

• Locked thread