Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I always suck at games like Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape, etc. I guess I suck at creating a character or something. I can't get out of the first area of BG2 for instance. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure half the enemies in the first dungeon of BG2 have one health point so try using your mouse and keyboard, probably

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm pretty sure half the enemies in the first dungeon of BG2 have one health point so try using your mouse and keyboard, probably

I don't know, I set everyone to attack but those imp/goblin whatever guys wipe my party quick.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
try kensai / mage that should do the trick

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
wizard supremacy op

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I was having a hard time until I learned cloudkill and started casting it into rooms filled with dudes then closing the door.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

stoutfish posted:

wizard supremacy op

How should I spec?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
use Microsoft Excel 2014

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
here are some books to aid you
http://www.amazon.com/Statistics-For-Dummies-Deborah-Rumsey/dp/0470911085/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406505073&sr=8-4&keywords=statistics
http://www.amazon.com/Stats-Modeling-World-3rd-Edition/dp/0321570448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406505042&sr=8-1&keywords=stats
http://www.amazon.com/Stats-Data-Models-3rd-Edition/dp/0321692551/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406505042&sr=8-2&keywords=stats

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

use Microsoft Excel 2014

poo poo my autism isn't that strong. I can't spreadsheet sperg like EVE goons...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rocket_man38 posted:

poo poo my autism isn't that strong. I can't spreadsheet sperg like EVE goons...

me neither

i remember a friend trying to get me to play icewindale2. i looked at the character build screen and said gently caress that.
we then played jamestown which was good.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Buy the base books and study them until your eyes bleed. I seriously remember using the PH to make character creation less painful in TOEE.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
pirate them because fat nerds are overpaying for those 2e books.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

rocket_man38 posted:

How should I spec?

wizard

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

how to win at non 4E d&d:

-roll wizard
-you won!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
jocks are apparently ok in basic i've heard.

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
I agree, I just started Icewind dale. I spent 30 minutes or whatever making 6 characters- fighter/cleric, paladin, ranger, mage, illusionist and maybe.. fighter/thief. Pretty balanced, right? I get equipped and go to this cave with a bunch of orcs. With nearly every encounter at least one of my guys dies. Should I micromanage my fighters to the front and click through my mages for spells? No hotkeys? I was keeping my guys together and my mage always goes front and center with her quarterstaff trying to save the day. I try to click to her really quick and click spell and click target but shes dead already.

Then I take a loving pilgrimage to the church to get them revived for all of my money. It's not unlike the Canterbury Tales and I stop for a bit to eat lunch and then I go back and everyone wipes except my ranger. Now to her credit she does some work but my paladin shouldn't die so quickly i think. And my fighter/cleric only has one charge of heal(whyyy?), and no potions as far as I can figure, so I think okay. I'll fight one dude, run outside and rest, and so on, until the whole cave is dead. But i got impatient and wiped again.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

zelgadis posted:

I agree, I just started Icewind dale. I spent 30 minutes or whatever making 6 characters- fighter/cleric, paladin, ranger, mage, illusionist and maybe.. fighter/thief. Pretty balanced, right? I get equipped and go to this cave with a bunch of orcs. With nearly every encounter at least one of my guys dies. Should I micromanage my fighters to the front and click through my mages for spells? No hotkeys? I was keeping my guys together and my mage always goes front and center with her quarterstaff trying to save the day. I try to click to her really quick and click spell and click target but shes dead already.

Then I take a loving pilgrimage to the church to get them revived for all of my money. It's not unlike the Canterbury Tales and I stop for a bit to eat lunch and then I go back and everyone wipes except my ranger. Now to her credit she does some work but my paladin shouldn't die so quickly i think. And my fighter/cleric only has one charge of heal(whyyy?), and no potions as far as I can figure, so I think okay. I'll fight one dude, run outside and rest, and so on, until the whole cave is dead. But i got impatient and wiped again.

hit spacebar

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

pure cleric is hands down better than fighter/cleric

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

if you want more heals, use more of your spell slots for heals. if you don't have enough spell slots don't loving try to multiclass into a non-spellcasting class

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
1. Name you dude something cool like "Shadowblade Darkmoon" or "Darkdeath Knightlord"

2. Steal everything from the starting villages, but save scum just incase you get caught or something.

3. When picking a class, mages require a ton of prepared skills before fights which sucks and straight up warriors are only gear checks which sucks, so instead go Kensai and grab whatever sword you find (Doesn't matter) and loving chop the poo poo out of everything that walks the earth.

4. Never play the good guy. Being good means usually sacrifice and valor and honor and all that poo poo that takes way too much effort. Instead you should be backstabbing NPC's when you are done with them for small xp bonuses and you normally can complete quests faster with no drawbacks what so ever.

5. Your party should look like this

- You, kensai darkdeath lord of nightmares of darkness.
- some hot chick who is going to be your baulder gate girlfriend
- the rest barbarians if you can. If you can't get something like a mage and just memorize fireball. All slots go to fireball. Why? Because you can stand back a screen and use your wussy lame mage to throw fireballs at monsters way far away and they can't do poo poo about it.

Welp, hope that helps! Game on, bro! Iranicus or whatever will be licking your balls in mage hell with these tips.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there's a way to make a baby and if you do it its an inventory item and you can try to trade it to minsc for his hamster and he turns you down but if you try really hard you can dupe the babies and hamsters through this

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

For me, OP, it's a matter of patience. For example, I rarely find myself able to sit there reading the menu or, worse, reading a guide on the internet about what all the poo poo on the menu means if it's not particularly well documented in-game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Never try to make sense of 18/ strength stats. Ever. Assume 18 means swole and the number after / is how many midgets they could take on in a fight at once.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That said I learned mapgames, which was a replica test of patience probably, so maybe you just need to wait for a day when you really want to look at tooltips and crap.

Dec 26, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

Never try to make sense of 18/ strength stats. Ever. Assume 18 means swole and the number after / is how many midgets they could take on in a fight at once.

and 00 means 100 midgets so its better than the other ones if it comes up

if this is wrt a guy you make though make him a half-orc and bump that poo poo to 19 because its worlds better than 18/whatever

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Wormskull posted:

That said I learned mapgames, which was a replica test of patience probably, so maybe you just need to wait for a day when you really want to look at tooltips and crap.

ive been trying to get into ck2 lately but im pretty sure civ just made me lazy, ill forget the clock is running a quarter of the time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dongslayer. posted:

ive been trying to get into ck2 lately but im pretty sure civ just made me lazy, ill forget the clock is running a quarter of the time.

I think technically speaking Civ is probably a more strategically demanding game so I don't know if I'd call it lazy so much as not acclimated.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

big duck equals goose posted:

1. Name you dude something cool like "Shadowblade Darkmoon" or "Darkdeath Knightlord"

Fist Rockbone or Big McLargehuge are also acceptable.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Tython Broduct.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
lance uppercut

Soral
May 30, 2009

have you considered reading the monster manuel, op? might be some good tips for beating bad guys in there

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Shark Maverick

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

those games are realtime w pause so any tactic you think up will immediately go out in the window as soon as you hit unpause so just find some way to cheese poo poo and keep doing that

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
BG simulates "Rounds" every 6 seconds, so when you see your character missing he is actually not attacking he is just waiting for the "round" to finish so he can attack again.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
seriously though just cast sleep all the time, mesmerize effects break dnd games.

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all

Scyther posted:

if you want more heals, use more of your spell slots for heals. if you don't have enough spell slots don't loving try to multiclass into a non-spellcasting class

I was hoping i could get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS with TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER, but maybe I was mistake. But really I wanted fighter who could heal- no time for buffs or undead turning or whatever.

So if you're supposed to pause the game- are there people who don't, and play it as an intense RTS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

zelgadis posted:

I was hoping i could get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS with TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER, but maybe I was mistake. But really I wanted fighter who could heal- no time for buffs or undead turning or whatever.

So if you're supposed to pause the game- are there people who don't, and play it as an intense RTS?

the closest to BEST OF BOTH WORLDS would probably be a paladin, or maybe a cleric with a FEW levels of fighter or monk taken waaaaaaay after becoming a viable cleric.

i don't know whether there are people who play these games without pause but it would be a pointless exercise in wrestling an archaic UI.

• Locked thread