Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

after some consideration, and not wanting to repeat some of these other fine and valid answers, I'm going with An American Werewolf In London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the tingler was only good if u saw it in the theater and had the tingle motor in ur chair and the actor with a tingler in the audience

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

the tingler was only good if u saw it in the theater and had the tingle motor in ur chair and the actor with a tingler in the audience

i said they weren't good, but they're still worth watching

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Hellraiser is p much the best horror movie. It has it all, psychological horror, memorable monsters, body horror. Its so good.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
It's not technically a horror movie, but The Mothman Prophecies creeped the everliving gently caress out of me.

"My name is Indrid Cold."
God drat that gives me shivers even now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Borrowing this format:

Monster: Alien
Supernatural: The Devil's Backbone
Psychological: The Haunting (1963)
Gory: The Thing
Funny: Return of the Living Dead

Also adding:
Atmospheric: The Machinist
Non-horror: Come and See

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cabin in the Woods is pretty danged good.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the best horror dvd however is monsters crash the pajama party

if u don't own it, buy it it is has like over 12 hours of bonus content all about midnight spook shows from the 50s and 60s

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

It's not technically a horror movie, but The Mothman Prophecies creeped the everliving gently caress out of me.

i grew up around point pleasant and i didn't like how they got the source material wrong

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Funny, entertaining. Not very horror.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Yeah, that movie is creepy as hell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's not better than The Thing but In the Mouth of Madness is criminally underrated out of Carpenter's repertoire

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
If you're looking for one of those surreal just creepy type horrors the Japanese movie Gozu is really good if a tad disjointed.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

That one had cool subtle stuff in it, like the scene with his reflection in the motel mirror

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Waltzing Along posted:

i enjoyed this movie DESPITE joss whedon's "hey look how clever i am" style of writing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

my favorite movie is a horror movie from japan called house

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

The Crying Game

:iit:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smoking Crow posted:

movie rules

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
audition was pretty freaky when i first saw it so i'm gonna say that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

japan makes horror movies like this + tetsuo the iron man and yet j-horror is most widely known for its relatively pedestrian "ghost scares woman" films

an unjust world

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

japan makes horror movies like this + tetsuo the iron man and yet j-horror is most widely known for its relatively pedestrian "ghost scares woman" films

an unjust world

it's because the ring was genuinely a good movie and it was the first one to get wide distribution by american video companies

well, not the first, because guinea pig exists haha

naem
May 29, 2011

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

Haverchuck posted:

That one had cool subtle stuff in it, like the scene with his reflection in the motel mirror

Yeah that hosed with me. But as a continuation:
Did you notice what else was in the motel room with him at the end of that scene when he slams the door? :shepicide:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

it's because the ring was genuinely a good movie and it was the first one to get wide distribution by american video companies

i don't dislike the ring but an entire subgenre followed in its wake

then again i guess this isn't really much different from how zombie and slasher movies have worked

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Yeah that hosed with me. But as a continuation:
Did you notice what else was in the motel room with him at the end of that scene when he slams the door? :shepicide:

yeah that was real obvious and in fact the only part of the movie I thought was a little incongruous, I mean unless you paused it on that frame to really study it, it looked like a loving gorilla mask

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Texas Chainsaw the original is pretty underrated in a low budget creepy sort of way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
gravity kinda scared the poo poo out of me, does that count

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

The way most actors play scared is with screaming and panic.
The way Gere's wife played the hospital room scene with the blood vessels broken in her eyes after car crash: that's how you do scared. :ohdear:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sog3etUwtSk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apjjO3S-FFY&t=723s

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Lovely Bones was also creepy. Whoever played that pedo serial killer rapist did a pretty good job at portraying a pedo serial killer rapist. Don't think its a horror film though.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Horror or not, I've never been so scared of a movie since this one. I'm not sure what it is about that movie, but it still freaks me out when I think about it. It has just the right combination of weird, unexplained poo poo, and momentary flashes of "wtf was that?" that just kept me feeling uneasy.

Does anyone have suggestions of movies like this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

people have some weird criteria for "not really a horror movie"

i mean the mothman prophecies is a movie that primarily aims to instill a sense of dread, about a supernatural creature that manifests right before disasters happen

sure it's trying to warn people, not cause the disasters but that's not really spelled out till the very end and is it really enough to disqualify something for in the first place?

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Not the Butcher Boys. However, if you judge the quality of your horror movies by whether or not there is a lobotomized cannibal(?) using a rocket launcher, the Butcher Boys is the best.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

people have some weird criteria for "not really a horror movie"

i mean the mothman prophecies is a movie that primarily aims to instill a sense of dread, about a supernatural creature that manifests right before disasters happen

sure it's trying to warn people, not cause the disasters but that's not really spelled out till the very end and is it really enough to disqualify something for in the first place?

its the sense of dread that makes it good, mothman prophecies pulled it off really well, but by some peoples criteria its not horror without gore and monsters

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Horror or not, I've never been so scared of a movie since this one. I'm not sure what it is about that movie, but it still freaks me out when I think about it. It has just the right combination of weird, unexplained poo poo, and momentary flashes of "wtf was that?" that just kept me feeling uneasy.

Does anyone have suggestions of movies like this?

i would recommend the films of david lynch

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
When I think of horror films and have conversations about horror films with others, more often than not the kinds of movies that use extreme gore and suddenly loud and startling events are what they are talking about. Stuff like Friday the 13th, Saw, a lot of zombie stuff. It's a very visceral reaction as opposed to the psychological dread of movies like The Mothman Prophecies.

I guess we should add another sub-genre to the horror list.

Psychological suspense?

Pandorum was pretty good too in my book.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the best psychological horror movie is either jacob's ladder or cat people (the original)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
words like "suspense" and "thriller" get a little murky in their definitions but yeah there doesnt have to be any supernatural or fantastical stuff in a movie to make it unsettling

• Locked thread