Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Necros posted:

i think nightmare on elm st 2 is probably the best funny horror movie

i'm partial to 3 just because it has this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiaYVyF_18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXcSdV7IeU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Fuligin posted:

Suspiria is probably my favorite horror movie. The Tenant by Roman Polanski is pretty good too, it's kind of in the vein of Rosemary's Baby but much less supernatural.

Roman Polanski is so good at making me scared I think he should be forgiven for raping that kid.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

i like the first paranormal activity, i think it was p different and less not more different than most other horror movies these days

Its better than a lot of new horror stuff because it succeeds at being about something without explaining it in voice over like Saw, in this case a lovely dysfunctional relationship between two people who don't trust each other; the ending they picked was the worst of the three they came up tho even if I understand why they went with it for normal audiences or whatever

The Descent is really good for a horror movie made in the last 10 years

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

stuntwaffle posted:

i'm partial to 3 just because it has this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiaYVyF_18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cviJlT5GCQ

its the most unintentionally homosexual movie ever filmed

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What's funny is pretty much every single person involved with it except the director admits that it was a gay film the whole time and everyone knew it.

It's been said already, but I have to give it to The Shining as the absolute best horror film. Everything is just so perfectly made to sublimate you into dread and madness. I doubt I could ever pick what was second best though...

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Wolf Creek is a loving intense film.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MegaGatts posted:

Roman Polanski is so good at making me scared I think he should be forgiven for raping that kid.

Jesus, you rear end-gently caress ONE 13yr old kid and people never let you forget it. Do the man's many brilliant films count for nothing??

Getting back to horror films, I've always liked the original Creepshow. "I can hold my breath... For a very long time!"

phonezilla
Jan 5, 2006

I....corrected them.
the shining, of course.

worthy mention: antichrist. chaos reigns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Possession (1981) is pretty great and I recommend you watch it while on a date
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXTGqsjj8I

it's pretty dope

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Watership Down and Plague Dogs. Movies to scare your children with.

Also love Tetsuo Iron Man. There were a number of sequels but like all horror franchises they were nowhere near as good as the original.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Mind you Ghosts of the Civil Dead is probably the scariest most uncomfortable movie I've ever seen but its not really horror.

gently caress you Nick Cave.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 28, 2014

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Frankenstein's Army just for the :wtc: monster designs going on.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever said White Zombie was cool is right, while Phantoms (which I'm currently watching) is terrible, and Ben Affleck is DEFINITELY not the bomb in it.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the Sex Boner

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Audition, but only if you don't know that it's a horror film at first.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Chopping Mall is some good poo poo

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Isabelle Adjani is loving incredible in this movie. I haven't seen anyone throw themselves into a role that fearlessly since Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet".

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Evil Dead 1 & 2, The Thing, The Fly, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Love me some practical effects.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I really need to see Jacob's Ladder. I've heard countless good things about it.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

InFlames235 posted:

I really need to see Jacob's Ladder. I've heard countless good things about it.

you'll be disappointed if you're not autistic

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Borrowing this format:

Monster: Alien
Supernatural: The Devil's Backbone
Psychological: The Haunting (1963)
Gory: The Thing
Funny: Return of the Living Dead

Also adding:
Atmospheric: The Machinist
Non-horror: Come and See

some good opinions here, Devil' Backbone is one of del toro's best movies

I'd sub Evil Dead 2 in for Funny though

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
For a decent modern horror movie, I haven't seen Skeleton Key mentioned yet, it's a slow burner with a looming sense of dread much like the older movie Burnt Offerings.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Gory: Gotta add in Silent Night, Deadly Night for axe-murderer santa
Psychological: From Beyond this is more psychological monster, I guess) or the ORIGINAL House on Haunted Hill
Supernatural: The ORIGINAL Thirteen Ghosts or The Entity
Monster: Slither or Alien/Aliens and Predator
Funny: The Puppetmaster

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Hour of the Wolf is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
waxwork 2, street trash, the stuff and body melt. there you go.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Frankenstein Theory and YellowBrickRoad are other good found footage horror movies. I really likes those.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

It's Alien.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Alien, The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, The Shining & Devil's Backbone covered most of the bases for me. Nice to see others enjoyed Mothman Prophecies and Descent as well. When I was a kid, the first Terminator scared the poo poo out of me, something about the unstoppable killer and the general darkness of the movie...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Tao Jones posted:

Isabelle Adjani is loving incredible in this movie. I haven't seen anyone throw themselves into a role that fearlessly since Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet".
it went so far that she attempted suicide after one of the days of shooting but got saved by the director who managed to convince her that people will hate him for the movie but she will become a star and shouldn't worry and he was right

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is it weird that we now all pretty much hate The Blair Witch Project?

I re-watched the film recently, and I have to say that it had a really strong first act, maybe even first half, and then it just got... stale and then dumb. More impressively though, despite that, If I recall correctly, it was a decent hit when it was released, right?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Black Christmas owns and I think was one of the first slasher movies. Also funny to watch Kier Dullea as a college student. Made by the same director as A Christmas Story and Porky's.

I recommend it highly.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

it went so far that she attempted suicide after one of the days of shooting but got saved by the director who managed to convince her that people will hate him for the movie but she will become a star and shouldn't worry and he was right

I watched it blind at 2 am on TCM and it was one of the most intense experiences of my 25 years on this gay earth

its seriously a trip

Goobish
May 31, 2011

The mothman prophecies is the only movie that gives me actual chills and goosebumps. It's not even that scary, but I got goosebumps again by just reading about it in this thread. Something about the dude getting in his car and doing that time warp thing just freaks the hell out of me. I can't seem to convince my brain that the mothman doesn't exist :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK30R1gsgGk&t=90s

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Gremlins might be the best horror film if it wasn't busy being the best Christmas film.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

The Bananana posted:

Is it weird that we now all pretty much hate The Blair Witch Project?

I re-watched the film recently, and I have to say that it had a really strong first act, maybe even first half, and then it just got... stale and then dumb. More impressively though, despite that, If I recall correctly, it was a decent hit when it was released, right?

it did well back in the day because of the marketing, the tie in books and the documentary that came out on tv before the movie saying it was true and real with fake interviews and police reports and all kinds of stuff to drum up interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Goobish posted:

The mothman prophecies is the only movie that gives me actual chills and goosebumps. It's not even that scary, but I got goosebumps again by just reading about it in this thread. Something about the dude getting in his car and doing that time warp thing just freaks the hell out of me. I can't seem to convince my brain that the mothman doesn't exist :(

I liked it because it was filled with little "did I just see/hear that?" bits. Like the scene in his motel room when his reflection in the medicine cabinet mirror suddenly moves out of sync with him, followed shortly by him closing the door and you catch a glimpse of some red-eyed face in the mirror. I also like how they never really show you Indrid Cold, but you get stuff like them analyzing his voice on the phone and they can't explain it outside of it's "outside normal human frequencies."

• Locked thread