Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Blair Witch Project also started the whole hand-filmed home video movie fad. It didn't invent it but definitely made it mainstream and was the first contact with this kind of thing for the average viewer so yeah people were blown away by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blair witch is good and it has one of the best third acts of any horror movie

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alien is a great movie, probably my favorite. But I also like The Thing for how insanely gory it was. I think I might try The Mothman Prophecies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Idiot Syncratic posted:

Frankenstein Theory and YellowBrickRoad are other good found footage horror movies. I really likes those.

YellowBrickRoad isn't found footage. It's about a documentary crew, but they filmed it like any other "normal" film. Also, it's pretty great.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
The knocking on the walls gave me goosebumps.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Choco1980 posted:

YellowBrickRoad isn't found footage. It's about a documentary crew, but they filmed it like any other "normal" film. Also, it's pretty great.

The best found footage I've seen recently was on Netflix called devil's pass. It had some really neat ideas imo.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Gremlins might be the best horror film if it wasn't busy being the best Christmas film.

Gremlins can be the best horror film because Die Hard is the best Christmas film.

Choco1980 posted:

This is true, my bad.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

MegaGatts posted:

The best found footage I've seen recently was on Netflix called devil's pass. It had some really neat ideas imo.

This one is also pretty great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw that The Thing, Hellraiser, Sunshine, Event Horizon, Pandorum, and Alien were already listed, so most of my work is done...

I would mention that I like Hellraiser II: Hellbound at least as much as the original. The only other Hellraiser film that's any good is Hellraiser: Inferno, which is Hellraiser 5.

Recently, the Evil Dead remake is surprisingly good. In the slasher/home invasion genre You're Next is great, but may or may not count as horror depending on how you define movies like that.

I liked Quarantine, but haven't actually seen [REC].

The best found-footage horror film I've ever seen is probably Grave Encounters. This film is great because it follows a bunch of wanna-be "Ghost Hunters" and both really effectively creepy and really good at parodying "Ghost Hunter" bullshit.I highly recommend it if you like found-footage and haunted hospital type poo poo. The second one is terrible though.

The Last Exorcism is also a pretty good found-footage film if you prefer the exorcism genre. Again, the sequal is beyond terrible, not only because it's a bad movie, but it basically completely fucks up the ending of the first one.

I liked Lords of Salem, but it's definitly a matter of taste. Your mileage may vary.

Almost forgot, Tucker and Dale Versus Evil is probably the best comedy-horror I've ever seen. Definitly heavier on the comedy side than say, Cabin in the Woods, but there is significant violence and gore.

Best horror-comedy (more horror than comedy) would be Cabin Fever. People who wanted this movie to be serious really hated it. I thought it was hilarious. Never saw the sequel, but there's a pattern with these things.

If amazing practical gore-effects are your thing, Laid to Rest is pretty great. People get hacked up a lot.

In no particular order and off the top of my head, here's a bunch of movies that I thought were crap:
The Rite - Anthony Hopkins cannot save this garbage.
Sinister - this movie is beyond dumb. The "twist" is spelled out in the movie and it's completely impossible that Ethan Hawk could not have noticed this since he is researching the events for his loving book. Also it's boring
The Devil Inside - generic and unengaging exorcism fluff. Watch The Right instead. or don't.
The Conjuring - "Based on actual events" crap, not scary, not engaging. If you liked Sinister and Insidious, but wanted them to be more boring and less scary, this is the movie for you.
The Woman in Black(remake) - This is the best possibly film you could make using only jump-scares and jump-scare fakeouts. All kinds of fakeouts: ones where nothing happens, ones where it's a bird, one's where it's a fakeout and then a real jump-scare, one's where it's a fakeout and then something in the background happens... It's an entire movie jump-scares and not a single part is unpredictable...
The Thing (sequal) - I wanted to like this, but remember how the best part of The Thing was that you could never be sure who/what/where the monster was? Well in this movie it's easy: it's right in front of the camera being cgi in almost every scene.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i like Ti West's horror movies The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

snoop doggs hood of horror

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some great opinions here, I'd agree that The Shining is the best horror film overall. I feel Jaws and Cube belong on any list of great horror films, although they're not in my top 3.

Das Boo posted:

Non-horror: Come and See

Certainly the most horrifying and disturbing movie I've ever seen.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

kazr posted:

Check out Pandorum if you haven't already. Surprised the hell out of me how not terrible it was. Also Sunshine.

The Descent owns bones, starts out real psychological horror like then takes a real different turn in genre, like Sunshine.

John Carpenter's The Thing is the best horror movie

Smoking Crow posted:

there's an alien ripoff called dark side of the moon that i enjoyed a whole lot

it's not really an alien ripoff but if i tell u how they diverge it would be spoilers

thanks ill check em out

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I avoided Blair Witch Project for a long time because it was parodied to hell and back and I just assumed it was poo poo. It's actually pretty awesome, but then again I don't mind the handheld shaky cam documentary shtick.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i didn't watch blair witch when it was new or pay much attention to the media coverage, but a bunch of my friends at the time thought it was legit real

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kazr posted:

I avoided Blair Witch Project for a long time because it was parodied to hell and back and I just assumed it was poo poo. It's actually pretty awesome, but then again I don't mind the handheld shaky cam documentary shtick.

Ditto. I finally watched it this year. I didn't really care for it, but that was more because I hated all the characters. They were actually pretty realistic, I've met people just like that. The ending basically made the whole thing worth it.

I actually like the sequel, but I'm not sure I would call it "good"...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The original version of Quarantine - the Spanish movie REC loving owns.

As does the sequel which has a better trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKNxtZLXIE

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Blair Witch was cool but it also spawned an endless stream of really boring found footage type horror movies.

Can someone point me to a better horror flick than The Thing Or Alien?

noyoucan'tshutup

I absolutely do not know what's been up with major horror movies recently, it's like they're not even bad in a way that's fun to watch any more.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Didn't get very good reviews but I found The 4th Kind to be scary as gently caress. That moment when she's playing the tape back and hears herself get abducted is loving creepy. Also, the "real footage" of her levitating like some sort of monster is pretty scary, too.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
1408 was pretty decent IMO

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Goobish posted:

The mothman prophecies is the only movie that gives me actual chills and goosebumps. It's not even that scary, but I got goosebumps again by just reading about it in this thread. Something about the dude getting in his car and doing that time warp thing just freaks the hell out of me. I can't seem to convince my brain that the mothman doesn't exist :(

actually, Indrid Cold and other beings like him DO exist if you believe in samoan/pacific islander type shamanism. yeah yeah i know goons don't believe in the supernatural whatever, but anyone who is interested in the Mothman Prophecies should pick up a book called Spiritwalker for more of the same

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Idiot Syncratic posted:

Gremlins can be the best horror film because Die Hard is the best Christmas film.

Thank you, I was about to post that.

I've even heard of Jurassic Park being a horror movie, and I can somewhat see it. Monsters, a little gore, shittons of screaming, and the humans don't even really win, the survivors just survive and run.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If your looking to watch a recent horror movie you could do a lot worse than "You're Next".

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What do other people think about Shadow of the Vampire? Willem Dafoe in that movie creeped me out BIG-TIME.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Overall I'd say The Thing although you'd get different answers if you break it down into subcategories. Evil Dead II is probably my favorite horror comedy although I don't know if its the best.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Tales from the Hood is a legitimately good horror anthology.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

it's either Alien or The Thing.

i say The Thing, because Alien loses some of its punch on a rewatch, while The Thing is always great. I will say tha Alien was the first and only horror movie that actually made me kind of scared of walking home and going to bed (I was something like 12-14, don't quite remember). And I wasn't really afraid of the alien appearing out of nowhere to get me, it was just so god drat scary that it kind of clung to everything for a while and drained your spirit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I also love the original House on Haunted Hill although its not actually scary at all but it has Vincent Price in it.

Vincent Price horror films need to be their own subcategory.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFc7D0ZoCc

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm telling you people; Hour of the Wolf is the best horror movie ever made.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Thing prequel isn't that bad. There, I said it. And the monster scenes are pretty creative.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

The Thing prequel isn't that bad. There, I said it. And the monster scenes are pretty creative.

I don't think it's really bad, it's just also not very special.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Claven666 posted:

actually, Indrid Cold and other beings like him DO exist if you believe in samoan/pacific islander type shamanism. yeah yeah i know goons don't believe in the supernatural whatever, but anyone who is interested in the Mothman Prophecies should pick up a book called Spiritwalker for more of the same

indrid cold, if u actually know mothman lore, was an alien that gave a man special knowledge about the mothman

i don't think the samoans had aliens

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

indrid cold, if u actually know mothman lore, was an alien that gave a man special knowledge about the mothman

i don't think the samoans had aliens

besides, john keel speculated that cold and the mothman may be tibetan tulpas run amok as far as conventional new age explanations for the phenomena

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
The answer is Videodrome.
Here's a super 80's trailer which cuts out all the freaky stuff like snuff television and chest vaginas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFHey3utk0I

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Gaunab posted:

watch abc's of death and stay at least until f

Quoting way back in the thread but the ABCs of death is amazing. A through E are ok horror attempts and then bam, first movie from Japan.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Oh also I thought The Conjuring was actually pretty creepy and scary. The ending was loving retarded but I guess you can't really make a good ending to a possession movie. Except for the Exorcist but that was really original. Every possession movie nowadays has pretty much the same ending.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I saw Cube back when I was in 6th or 7th grade and it creeped me the gently caress out. Something about the utter helplessness of their situation. I remember I had a nightmare about it a almost eight years after I saw it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Everyone not saying The Thing has never seen The Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
:gas:

• Locked thread