Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
The Crazies remake was pretty good and worth a sit through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMvWG_IY10

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone seen this movie called Sinister? It's not the Sinister you're probably thinking of.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1841835/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

I tend to be pretty generous when it comes to movies but holy poo poo i loving hated this movie

edit: and im a sucker for that kind of poo poo since i loved Gabriel Knight as a kid

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Also i haven't seen anyone recommend Triangle yet, I really liked it. And I liked all the cube movies even the third one

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Everyone should see Hausu at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Nothing says "Japanese horror" like young girls giggling while getting maimed in horrible ways like getting eaten by a piano.

i love this movie

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

any horror by shinya tsukamoto (the guy who made tetsuo the iron man)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrEgNCHhFk

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i have netflix and hulu+ and i think ive watched every horror movke on them thats not terrible. ive started into the premium ondemand channels now. i keep telling myself im just bad at finding them. :(

except for cujo im savin that for a good movie night

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Everyone should see Hausu at least once.
Nothing says "Japanese horror" like young girls giggling while getting maimed in horrible ways like getting eaten by a piano.

Oh my god, finally I know what this movie is called. One of the many weirdo horror movies I watched in college with a bunch of drunk buddies and can only vaguely recall.

That loving cat lol

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Some seriously excellent recommendations in this thread. I've seen a lot of horror movies but there are a few here I've never heard of and will definitely check them out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

was audition posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1DnkweK5U

i know that it's the rite of passage to japanese horror movies but maybe some people haven't seen it yet

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
I just watched The Mothman Prophecies because of this thread, and I have to say that anyone who thinks that this is a good horror movie, or even a horror movie full stop, is a colossal human being.

It's not even psychological horror. It's barely even a thriller. It's just a drama with a slight supernatural theme. I want those 2 hours of my life back.

Has anyone said The Hills Run Red, or Hatchet 1,2 and 3 yet? I can't remember

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

lonesomedwarf posted:

Also i haven't seen anyone recommend Triangle yet, I really liked it.

Yeah Triangle is the best horror film.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Does Triangle use the same twist as High Tension?

High tension was good but I dont see the need for a rehash.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
No it might seem like it from the trailer, but there is SO MUCH MORE to Triangle than Haute Tension.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just watched VHS; it was pretty bad to be honest. The first clip was pretty good, but the rest of them just had awful acting or just weren't that interesting. Though the last one was pretty amusing.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Automatic Retard posted:

I just watched The Mothman Prophecies because of this thread, and I have to say that anyone who thinks that this is a good horror movie, or even a horror movie full stop, is a colossal human being.

It's not even psychological horror. It's barely even a thriller. It's just a drama with a slight supernatural theme. I want those 2 hours of my life back.

I forgot to mention that I was literally a small child when I last saw it and got all spooked. I think that explains why everyone in the thread keeps recommending crappy old movies from the 70s and 80s and poo poo. Makes you think...

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just watched VHS; it was pretty bad to be honest. The first clip was pretty good, but the rest of them just had awful acting or just weren't that interesting. Though the last one was pretty amusing.

VHS 2 has the best segment of both of them so you should still watch it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ya totes, it's not like I didn't enjoy it, but I wouldn't rank it anywhere in the realm of actually scary movies.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Ah Map posted:

Yeah Triangle is the best horror film.

I am going to watch this either tonight or tomorrow. That trailer looked great.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Automatic Retard posted:

Hatchet 1, 2, and 3 are all watchable

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Automatic Retard posted:

I liked the movie a lot as a kid, but I tried to rewatch it this year and a lot of the movie doesn't hold up well. Specifically the scene transitions are hilarious, Gere's performance was spotty, and the first act of the film was filled with an ocean of cliche's. I think if it had a better director, lead actor, and some small rewrites it would end up being a classic. As it is it's a bland to bad film with an occasional bright spot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Horror or not, I've never been so scared of a movie since this one. I'm not sure what it is about that movie, but it still freaks me out when I think about it. It has just the right combination of weird, unexplained poo poo, and momentary flashes of "wtf was that?" that just kept me feeling uneasy.

Does anyone have suggestions of movies like this?

To add on what the other guy mentioned about David Lynch, you may want to try Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. They might be too high on the unexplained poo poo, though. Watch with friends and figure them out together. Another movie like this would be Donnie Darko, but that is a bit more sane.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 30, 2014

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Automatic Retard posted:

I saw it last night for the same reasons, and i agree that it's not a horror film, but i enjoyed it anyway. JUST LETTIN' YA KNOW

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

lonesomedwarf posted:

I saw it last night for the same reasons, and i agree that it's not a horror film, but i enjoyed it anyway. JUST LETTIN' YA KNOW

All I could think was that it's just X-Files with a different cast

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Here are some horror movie's I enjoy that are pretty good

House (not the Japanese one the other one)
Society (Just Watch it!)
Wrong turn 2 (The only good one.....Henry Rollin's owns in it)
Jaws (Best Film ever)
Return of the living dead (Braaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssssss)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLs-Oreo_bk

House is a good one.

JustCait
May 28, 2014

amityville anus posted:

BOOOOOOOYYYY

Phantasm is a great movie

I love horrible 80s horror movies. That's close enough to 80s to count

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Didn't House have the guy from the Greatest American Hero and there were two or three sequels?

Edit: Yeah! Man I gotta watch that again, it freaked me out as a kid.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Philthy posted:

Didn't House have the guy from the Greatest American Hero and there were two or three sequels?

Edit: Yeah! Man I gotta watch that again, it freaked me out as a kid.

Yes,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQpW4xbYSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The one about that weird dad who dresses up like a woman to sneak on his children

• Locked thread