Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw that The Thing, Hellraiser, Sunshine, Event Horizon, Pandorum, and Alien were already listed, so most of my work is done...

I would mention that I like Hellraiser II: Hellbound at least as much as the original. The only other Hellraiser film that's any good is Hellraiser: Inferno, which is Hellraiser 5.

Recently, the Evil Dead remake is surprisingly good. In the slasher/home invasion genre You're Next is great, but may or may not count as horror depending on how you define movies like that.

I liked Quarantine, but haven't actually seen [REC].

The best found-footage horror film I've ever seen is probably Grave Encounters. This film is great because it follows a bunch of wanna-be "Ghost Hunters" and both really effectively creepy and really good at parodying "Ghost Hunter" bullshit.I highly recommend it if you like found-footage and haunted hospital type poo poo. The second one is terrible though.

The Last Exorcism is also a pretty good found-footage film if you prefer the exorcism genre. Again, the sequal is beyond terrible, not only because it's a bad movie, but it basically completely fucks up the ending of the first one.

I liked Lords of Salem, but it's definitly a matter of taste. Your mileage may vary.

Almost forgot, Tucker and Dale Versus Evil is probably the best comedy-horror I've ever seen. Definitly heavier on the comedy side than say, Cabin in the Woods, but there is significant violence and gore.

Best horror-comedy (more horror than comedy) would be Cabin Fever. People who wanted this movie to be serious really hated it. I thought it was hilarious. Never saw the sequel, but there's a pattern with these things.

If amazing practical gore-effects are your thing, Laid to Rest is pretty great. People get hacked up a lot.

In no particular order and off the top of my head, here's a bunch of movies that I thought were crap:
The Rite - Anthony Hopkins cannot save this garbage.
Sinister - this movie is beyond dumb. The "twist" is spelled out in the movie and it's completely impossible that Ethan Hawk could not have noticed this since he is researching the events for his loving book. Also it's boring
The Devil Inside - generic and unengaging exorcism fluff. Watch The Right instead. or don't.
The Conjuring - "Based on actual events" crap, not scary, not engaging. If you liked Sinister and Insidious, but wanted them to be more boring and less scary, this is the movie for you.
The Woman in Black(remake) - This is the best possibly film you could make using only jump-scares and jump-scare fakeouts. All kinds of fakeouts: ones where nothing happens, ones where it's a bird, one's where it's a fakeout and then a real jump-scare, one's where it's a fakeout and then something in the background happens... It's an entire movie jump-scares and not a single part is unpredictable...
The Thing (sequal) - I wanted to like this, but remember how the best part of The Thing was that you could never be sure who/what/where the monster was? Well in this movie it's easy: it's right in front of the camera being cgi in almost every scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kazr posted:

I avoided Blair Witch Project for a long time because it was parodied to hell and back and I just assumed it was poo poo. It's actually pretty awesome, but then again I don't mind the handheld shaky cam documentary shtick.

Ditto. I finally watched it this year. I didn't really care for it, but that was more because I hated all the characters. They were actually pretty realistic, I've met people just like that. The ending basically made the whole thing worth it.

I actually like the sequel, but I'm not sure I would call it "good"...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

The Thing prequel isn't that bad. There, I said it. And the monster scenes are pretty creative.

I don't think it's really bad, it's just also not very special.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phil Niekro posted:

the platinum dunes installment of Friday the 13th was good in the fact it hit all the notes a fan of the franchise expects without adding anything superfluous

i also liked remake of the hills have eyes but did not enjoy its sequel

The best part of the Friday the 13th remake was that the entire cast at the beginning of the film actually all gets killed right away. Then the real characters are introduced. I watched it with a group and that threw us for a loop because we were trying to guess who the survivor-girl was going to be.

That reminds me, how could I forget Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon! Which is sort of a comedy/meta-commentary on slasher films. It starts out in a mockumentary format, taking place in a universe where the events of the Halloween, Nightmare on Elmstreet, and Friday the 13th franchises are all real. Check out the trailer on youtube. It's a fun concept and it's executed well.

The Hills Have Eyes could have been a decent franchise, but they decided that brutal rape scenes were going to be their shtick, which is pretty hosed up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

To be fair the only two places you can go with inbred hill-people is cannibalism or rape. The entire point is that they are degenerates ruled by their baser urges.

I'm not saying the in-bred hill people can't be rapists, but exploitative rape scenes are a terrible franchise trademark.

• Locked thread