Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Good Evening. I wish to tell you about Beef Bourguignon. In a nutshell it is beef braised in wine, beef broth and assorted other good stuff over a long time. Let's get started.

Here you see most but not all of the ingredients I have used. In no particular order:

3 lbs chuck roast
2 liters of wed wine preferably a burgundy but whatever
1 cup brandy
5 onions I bought at the farmers market so they're still dirty
a small bunch of carrots
3 cups beef stock
flour for dusting
thyme
8 oz bacon
a bloop of tomato paste
a molassesy bloop of dark brown sugar - pay no attention to the light brown sugar i didn't use it
12 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 lbs mushrooms

Now before you start cooking you want to have most of your stuff ready ahead of time. Saves stress once everything is all sizzling and bubbling. First the meat:

Cut it up into nice chunks approximately about like an inch cube but don't get too anal about it. This is rustic food.

P.S. vegetarian triggger warning

Now put all the chunks in a bowl, season generously with salt and pepper, then coat with the flour.

Okay. Meat's prepared. Now the vegetables:

Look how clean the onions are! Give them a rough chop.

Carrots too. Very pretty. You want nice chunks. Chunks abound in this dish.

Also tie up a bunch of thyme in a bundle like this. You can put them in some cheese cloth if you have that but who has cheese cloth?

Okay then! Time to cook! Hopefully you have a dutch oven or something. You need to have a pot that can go from the burner to the stove. This is a one pot dish which is nice.

Chop up the bacon and sizzle on highish heat. You want the fat to render out. You can skip this step and use olive oil if you want for the later steps but no don't do that jesus christ.

Looking good! One more minute and then you take out the crispy bacon bits. Save some for your toddler he loves bacon and is oddly particular about meat.

The bottom of the pan is already starting to get some tasty crispy bits on the bottom. Let's make more.

Sizzle dat meat on a high heat. You want to get a mad sear on these chunks. Work in batches. No way you put all 3 lbs of meat in there unless you want steamed beef.

Nice crusty sears all around. Gold star! Now reserve all the beef in a bowl and set aside for now.

Add the onions and carrots. Salt this batch a little too. Onions brown up just that little bit nice with salt in the mix. Throw the garlic in for the last minute of sizzling to get it all activated.

Stay updated at all times on the latest BYOB news even on the go!

Looking good! Now get all that out of the pot as well. Plop the veggies into the meat bowl it's okay.

Add a cup of the beef stock and the brandy to the pan. Scrape up the crispy bits and reduce till it thickens up to a nice glaze. Imagine I had a nice picture of that here and wasn't all hazed up with steam and poor picture taking skills.

Everyone in the pool!

Also plop in your tomato paste and brown sugar at this stage.

Starting to look like food now.

Add the remaining two cups of beef broth and the entire bottle of wine.

Bring it to a boil. Be sad that it looks more brownish and less reddish than you would prefer but know that it's still grand

WHAT THE HELL OH poo poo. Put the pot in a 300 degree oven as your wife and toddler come home. Yell HOT HOT as your child stretches his hands eagerly to the bubbling cauldron in daddy's hands. Wait like an hour and a half to two hours. Watch Caillou and Thomas the Tank Engine. Play with a beach ball.

Wait until it's bath time and take the pot out of the stove. Note the meat is now fork tender. Start to get excited. Drain the liquid into another pot and set to a high heat.

Reduce this until it starts to thicken. You want something a little more than two cups of liquid. Add salt here towards the end if needed but you probably won't. Pepper's always welcome.

All cauldron bubbly now.

Return the liquid to the pot. This is essentially the final product. But what to serve it with?

Polenta! I'm not making an effort post about polenta. Also this is not traditional, but I have yet to find a better pairing to a robust beef braise than polenta.

Look at it. Eat it. It's so good.

I would love to talk about this and food in general. Serious post central right here. Stay tuned for news on my next cooking project in a little while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindmillSlayer

can i come to your house and eat your food

posting smiling
it's finally here! the beef bourgiugno thread is here!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

4/10 photos could have been blurrier

WindmillSlayer

also i like that my thread is in your ipad thingy picture

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

This looks amazing A+ I think I might do this later in the week.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

WindmillSlayer posted:

can i come to your house and eat your food

you have to find me first i am always on the move

thewizardofshoe

This looks so delicious I can almost smell it cooking.

ron color
hey bo buddy did dogcrash talking dogtrash on byob food get your dander up?. Nice food dude! looks delightful

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

ron color posted:

hey bo buddy did dogcrash talking dogtrash on byob food get your dander up?. Nice food dude! looks delightful

this is not my first tasty food thread i intend to do this from time to time because it's fun

ron color
cool man were learning

Afro Doug

That looks pretty great, but nothing beats the Whopper from Burger King.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

next up

Afro Doug

now that looks better than a whopper from burger king!!!

Kimmalah

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

thanks for sharing and i'm looking forward to the next judging from that preview :bigtran:

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Holy poo poo that looks good. Do you have a go-to wine for this?

bacalou

voted 5

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Holy poo poo that looks good. Do you have a go-to wine for this?

honestly any red with some body will do can't go wrong with a reasonably priced cabernet sauvignon but yeah a burgundy is "traditional" but it's not something to get hung up on

Cosmic Charlie

Bo-Pepper posted:

honestly any red with some body will do can't go wrong with a reasonably priced cabernet sauvignon but yeah a burgundy is "traditional" but it's not something to get hung up on

Awesome, I'll have to stop by the store tomorrow. Gonna have to try this over some cornbread

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

i think the sausage is already stuffed??

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Awesome, I'll have to stop by the store tomorrow. Gonna have to try this over some cornbread

the recipe in the op is for a huge amount of food and can be easily cut in half if you don't want so much

i like leftovers and it freezes well if necessary

Nut to Butt

by FactsAreUseless
looks pretty meaty

Bukowski

hammulder
i'd eat it

with my butt!!!

Bukowski

hammulder
and poo it out of my mouth!!!

haha

Cosmic Charlie

Bo-Pepper posted:

the recipe in the op is for a huge amount of food and can be easily cut in half if you don't want so much

i like leftovers and it freezes well if necessary

Perfect, I only have myself to cook for so freezeable leftovers are a must. Last question; about how long did it take to reduce the liquid after you took it out of the oven?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Awesome, I only have myself to cook for so freezeable leftovers are a must. Last question; about how long did it take to reduce the liquid after you took it out of the oven?

around a half hour depending on the power of your burner you just want it noticeably thicker and luxurious looking

the pictures don't do it justice the final product has a luscious glow

Cosmic Charlie

Cool, thanks!

Dotcom Jillionaire

Social distortion
do it next time with weed plewase

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

do it next time with weed plewase

if you wanted to cook it with weed i would saute the weed with olive oil on low heat for a while and add it at the stage when everything goes in the pot i know weed likes to be bloomed in a fat like butter or oil but i can't vouch that it will do well with the extended cook time i don't like weed so you can experiment

joke_explainer

AHHH that's the 5 lb LEM sausage stuffer!! That's the one I want to buy. What electric grinder did you get? .35 hp, .75 hp, or the full 1 HP beast that can grind bone like butter?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

AHHH that's the 5 lb LEM sausage stuffer!! That's the one I want to buy. What electric grinder did you get? .35 hp, .75 hp, or the full 1 HP beast that can grind bone like butter?

honestly i'm not sure off the top of my head

most of my recent acquisitions have been me stealing them from my father who has had them in his house for years without ever cracking them open

soon his kitchenaid will be mine and he will not notice one bit

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

honestly i'm not sure off the top of my head

most of my recent acquisitions have been me stealing them from my father who has had them in his house for years without ever cracking them open

soon his kitchenaid will be mine and he will not notice one bit

Mixer or food processor?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

mixer

it's one he bought years ago without all the plastic parts

i think he's used it twice

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

mixer

it's one he bought years ago without all the plastic parts

i think he's used it twice

Those things are so good. They last absolutely forever. The last remnants of humanity will be a kitchenaid mixer and some cast iron pots.

Saranya

That looks so, so good. Beef bourguignon was one of the first recipes I made for someone else and it will probably be the first thing I make when I have an oven again. Definitely going to give it a try with some polenta. I hope you're going to shove some lamb into that sausage stuffer!

i am he

Afro Doug posted:

That looks pretty great, but nothing beats the Whopper from Burger King.

Pizzatime

Good evening bo-pepps, DAAAMMMNNN that's some nice food and a great effort post about said nice food, keep it up and chug it down!

Dubsy

5'd for good food and effort post, now I'm hungry

Salmiakki

good food and good pic with someones huge dong in the background there too. 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogren

Enlightened beast
Spirit among mortals
Spreader of wisdom
Forever watchful
Good kitty
:angelcatte:
5 for Art. Now technology needs to replicate this through 3D printers.

• Locked thread