Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
So, I'm reading "Confederacy of Dunces" and I just realized something: Ignatius J. Reilly is the most goony character in literary history:

1. Fat.
2. Unsightly facial hair.
3. Wears a rediculous hat.
4. Speaks funny.
5. Holds anachronistic views about everything, including sex (medieval instead of victorian, but you get the point).
6. Longs for a long-past time period, although it was objectively awful.
7. Literally looks like this:

The only thing missing for a complete Helldump-bingo is loving anime.

What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You're forgetting that his goonette girlfriend actually WANTS to gently caress him for some reason

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ignatius j reilly was right

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Heath posted:

You're forgetting that his goonette girlfriend actually WANTS to gently caress him for some reason

Yes, but he's afraid of sex or something. so an e/n poster, basically.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

H.H posted:

So, I'm reading "Confederacy of Dunces" and I just realized something: Ignatius J. Reilly is the most goony character in literary history:

There's being late to the party, and then there's arriving as the caterers are breaking down the tables

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

The Tao Jones posted:

There's being late to the party, and then there's arriving as the caterers are breaking down the tables

Well, I'm sorry, Mr "finished War and Peace at 12 years old", haven't gotten round to reading it before now.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Agreed, OP. He is the proto-goon.

(Although, Ignatius is smarter than goons. Goons only think their smart, but the smugness is unwarranted.)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
myrna minkoff represents the sjw-type goons

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

He also sold hot dogs for a little while and failed at it, a lot like Doobee

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Joey Gladstone posted:

haha hadn't thought of that

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

It's me, OP: I'm the gooniest literary character ever created

twoday fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 28, 2014

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I had the same thought when I read it for the first time last year.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Joey Gladstone posted:

The OP is a pretty played-out observation at this point but this is a very good addition and a nice thing to think about, in the Twilight Zone...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

H.H posted:

1. Fat.
2. Unsightly facial hair.
3. Wears a rediculous hat.
4. Speaks funny.
5. Holds anachronistic views about everything, including sex (medieval instead of victorian, but you get the point).
6. Longs for a long-past time period, although it was objectively awful.
7. Literally looks like this:

The only thing missing for a complete Helldump-bingo is loving anime.

What do you think?

Actually D&D has some straight medievalists/classical fetishitsts. they were pretty fun until they mostly got banned for being bugshit crazy

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Actually D&D has some straight medievalists/classical fetishitsts. they were pretty fun until they mostly got banned for being bugshit crazy

Wait, really? I can sorta understand glorifying the classical era, since enough time has passed to make people forget all the awful stuff like slavery, but practically every time medieval Europe is brought up people mention stuff like the black death etc.

How can you possibly idolize that?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused by your username, OP. Are you a nazi, a pedo, or both? Also, why is the guy dressed like that south park character?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

I'm confused by your username, OP. Are you a nazi, a pedo, or both? Also, why is the guy dressed like that south park character?

The guy, in fact, precedes south park by quite a few years.
And I am neither, thanks for asking. Usernames shouldn't be taken so literally. I don't consider you dyslexic because of your username.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a few months ago i was with some friends, and they were all tripping on acid and i was not, and we were talking about confederacy of dunces. one of them told me i reminded him of ignatius j reilly and then when i was all "man wtf" he got really flustered and tried to play it off but now i know what he really thinks of me

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

H.H posted:

because they would be the haves in the castles, not the have nots working the fields

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

The guy, in fact, precedes south park by quite a few years.
And I am neither, thanks for asking. Usernames shouldn't be taken so literally. I don't consider you dyslexic because of your username.

I'm not dyslexic, I just played a lovely videogame.

Also it's really weird to name yourself that, just for the record.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I see HH and I think nazis, then I see H.H. and I think the guy from lolita, but you're splitting the difference so I have no idea.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Wanamingo posted:

I mean I see HH and I think nazis, then I see H.H. and I think the guy from lolita, but you're splitting the difference so I have no idea.

Leave the Harry Houdini fan alone

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

amishjosh posted:

because they would be the haves in the castles, not the have nots working the fields

So they would have half the modern life-span, horrible teeth, and risk dying of infection like the aristocracy in those days?
Sign me up!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
well hey at least back in those days the rich had to club each other to death with maces once every few years to earn their privilege.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Great book. Another goony aspect - thinks about a dog while masturbating just before reaching orgasm.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

that's a solid loving read

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mah valve

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
I like Hubert Humphrey, he is an alright chap.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be fine being a medievalist if I went back there with my laptop and lighter and poo poo and could be the god-emperor of the people by having a basic understanding of things like first aid and weather other than "try leeches" and "a sorcerer did it"

The tough part would be getting to a noble king or a friendly monastery or something before you got burned to death as a warlock.

naem
May 29, 2011

twoday posted:

It's me, OP: I'm the gooniest literary character ever created

You look v warm

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The entire thing where he launches the "Campaign for Moorish Dignity" is very reminiscent of SJWs who are spokespeople for groups that they don't actually understand.

And the part where the black workers refuse to touch his bedsheets is probably indicative of what the average person would think when asked to touch a goon's bedsheet.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

H.H posted:

Wait, really? I can sorta understand glorifying the classical era, since enough time has passed to make people forget all the awful stuff like slavery, but practically every time medieval Europe is brought up people mention stuff like the black death etc.

The Black Death was at its most widespread in Western Europe for about 4 years; the Medieval period lasted roughly 600.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Fandyien posted:

mah valve

Another great recurring gag. What would be the goony equivilant to that, do you think?

Harime Nui posted:

The Black Death was at its most widespread in Western Europe for about 4 years; the Medieval period lasted roughly 600.

Yeah, the other 600 years were just wonderful. How did it go: nasty, brutal and short?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
its one of my favorite novels ever and i just started (slowly) rereading it, it seems better this time around but i feel a whole lot more of what is going on more than before idk what that means as if its good or bad. just read it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mariana Horchata posted:

its one of my favorite novels ever and i just started (slowly) rereading it, it seems better this time around but i feel a whole lot more of what is going on more than before idk what that means as if its good or bad. just read it

it means youre getting old hahaha

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

H.H posted:

Another great recurring gag. What would be the goony equivilant to that, do you think?

Mah asperger's

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

it means youre getting old hahaha

yep :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I loved Burma Jones in that book he was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

H.H posted:

Yeah, the other 600 years were just wonderful. How did it go: nasty, brutal and short?

Much like your posting!

• Locked thread