Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Stelas posted:

(That said, I love that Golden Battler is just chilling out in unexplored territory.)

I'm living up to my name by hoarding my gold until I can get into battles :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, I was out all day. And I was about to run the turn, but:

Spincut posted:

Hm. Move my Settler NW one space, found a city in las montagnes, and activate my southern city to get 1 food and 1 ore?

Your southern city can collect three resources - it's size 2 + 1 for happy.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Stelas posted:

Sorry, I was out all day. And I was about to run the turn, but:

Your southern city can collect three resources - it's size 2 + 1 for happy.

Oh MY.

Well I'll get 2 food and an ore, then!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.2.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Action 1: The Settler moves NW.
Action 2: A city is founded.
Action 3: 2 Food and 1 Ore are harvested.

Turn 3.2.4 - Golden Battler is the current player.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Golden Battler, you have three actions.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Free: 1 Food, 1 Wood, 1 Ore, 1 Idea from south city
1: In north city, use 1 Food, 1 Ore, 1 Mood Token to build 2 Army units
2: Move all 4 Army units to attack the right Barbarian camp :black101:

I guess I'll wait here to see how this goes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, right:

If you're fighting someone, I'll assume you aren't using the Tactics off an Action card unless you specifically say so ahead of time - even against another Player, as the attacker decides first.

If it's against a Barbarian, it just works. If it's against another Player I'll pause to offer them a chance to retaliate with a card.

Anyway, for the sake of deciding the rest of the turn let me just quickly roll it:

Green - 4 Armies = 4d6 = 16! 3 hits!
Barbarians - 1 Army = 1d6 = 2! 0 hits!

The Barbarian dies, gaining Green 1 Gold. Green may choose to keep the city (in an angry state) or raze it immediately for another 1 Gold.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'll keep it around, and I'll play Good Ideas along with it. I'll use 2 Food to research Free Education.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 29, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oof. Apologies for the lack of updates lately, it's been crunch time at work recently and I've been dead each day. Now that I'm out of it speed should pick up.

Turn 3.2.4 - Golden Battler is the current player.

Free Action: 1 Wood/Food/Ore/Idea are gained.
Action 1: 1 Army is bought, and 1 Army is Drafted.
Action 2: The Eastern barbarian camp is assaulted, with no losses. The city is kept. 1 Gold is gained as bounty.
Free Action: Good Ideas is played, granting 2 Ideas after capturing an enemy or Barbarian city.
Action 3: 2 Food is used to research Free Education. Mood increases.

Turn 3.3.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Gabriel Pope, you have three actions.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 31, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Action 1: Advance Steel Weapons for free (from Metallurgy)
Action 2: Move units:
-2 Armies and 1 Settler move from D6 to F6 (using Roads), paying 1 food and 1 ore to move 2 spaces through a forest and attack
-1 Settler moves C3 to C5

Action 3: Assuming I win the battle, I keep the city and activate Nazureth to build a Fortress, paying 1 food, 1 ore, and 1 gold (from barbarians) in lieu of wood

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.3.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Action 1: Steel Weapons is researched for free.
Action 2: Units move. 1 food and 1 ore is paid to activate Roads.

Blue Army attacks! 2 units = 2d6 + 1 guaranteed hit. Blue rolls 6! 2 hits!
Barbarians counter! 1 unit = 1d6. Barbarians roll 3! 0 hits!
The camp is captured! 1 Gold is gained as Bounty.

Action 3: A fortress is built in Nazureth.

Turn 3.3.2 - Fat Samurai is the current player.

Fat Samurai, you have three actions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: I just want to say that, even if I'm playing inefficiently and Gabriel Pope is two turns from marching his armies through my cities,

Totally called it. And yet did nothing about it.

1) Play Mercenaries card, send the 2 barbs against Gabriel's most recently captured city.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Totally called it. And yet did nothing about it specifically encouraged him to build a military and send it on my direction by putting a million barbarians on his doorstep between us

Also, bring it :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

They were supposed to be roadblocks! They were also supposed to roll higher than 3 sometimes! :argh:

EDIT: It wasn't expressive enough without the emote.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 31, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If the barbarians roll any hits, apply them to the settler human shields first

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

If the barbarians roll any hits, apply them to the settler human shields first

For once, I looked at the rules before my move, because I was expecting you to do exactly as I would have done be a horrible monster. They do call for Army units to take the hits.

My other option would have been to settle a city where my settler is and send 3 barbs against you, but I need the move.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

For once, I looked at the rules before my move, because I was expecting you to do exactly as I would have done be a horrible monster. They do call for Army units to take the hits.

Not quite! - you'd be correct if you were attacking with Army units yourself, but you're attacking with Barbarians and the rules are slightly different. It's still treated as a standard Barbarian attack, so see the bottom of page 13 where 'hits are applied to units in the city (settlers or armies - target's choice)'.

Still, hell yeah. The PVP has started.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm blaming the rules if I lose this, and not my lack of foresight on building up a defence. :)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Action 1: A Mercenaries card is played!

Barbarians attack: the barbarians at F8 assault F6! 2 Units = 2d6. Barbarians roll 11! 2 hits!
Blue counterattacks: 2 Units + Steel Weapons = 2d6 + 1 hit. Blue rolls 5! 2 hits!

A Settler, Army, and both Barbarians die. As the camp is not captured, no Gold is gained.

Things I missed: one, the city Gabriel just took over is angry. This means that if it is taken, it does not provide any tribute to the winner, and does not provide a free Settler to the loser. Two, anyone can now take over that empty barbarian city by moving a troop in there - assuming no-one adds one first.

Fat Samurai, you have two actions remaining.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, Blue reveals DEFIANCE: Reveal immediately after successfully defending while also killing at least two enemy units. +2 VP!

This will be indicated by a little +2 VP marker on your advances sheet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Although the Bluewish people are surrounded by enemies determined to drive them into the sea, we will never stop fighting for our right to a homeland :911:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Well, that went well. Besides giving Gabriel 2 VP, of course.

2) Research Metallurgy for free, via priesthood. (I don't have Google Docs access at work, I mean the one that gievs you an advantage over Civs that don't have it.)
Free) Activate G3 to get 2 ores, 1 food and 1 wood.
3) Activate G3 again to build 2 Armies.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

2) Research Metallurgy for free

Note that that's actually Steel Weapons, but you need Metallurgy to get Steel Weapons for free rather than paying a ton of ore for it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Action 2: Metallurgy is researched for free, granting 1 Idea. Culture increases.
Free Action: 2 Ore, 1 Food, 1 Wood is harvested.
Action 3: 2 Army units are built. G3 becomes Neutral.

Turn 3.3.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Spincut, you have three actions.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Hm. I'll build a dock in my upper city. Harvest 2 food and 1 ore in my southern city, and build an army in my central city.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just want to point out that the city in D6 is ripe for the taking, Spincut. As in, you can take it this turn.

Admittedly, I want to gain some breathing room, but if you take that it will nullify G.P., give you a nice springing board to the rest of Blueland and gain you my gratitude, which will probably materialize in the way of event cards.

Another thing to consider is that B.P. can draft an army into D6 and march into C9 without any dice rolls, while to attack my city (which is a bigger prize, I know) he does have to roll.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 2, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Just want to point out that the city in D6 is ripe for the taking, Spincut.

Admittedly, I want to gain some breathing room, but if you take that it will nullify G.P., give you a nice springing board to the rest of Blueland and gain you my gratitude, which will probably materialize in the way of event cards.

Another thing to consider is that B.P. can draft an army into D6 and march into C9 without any dice rolls, while to attack my city (which is a bigger prize, I know) he does have to roll.

"Breathing room"? Sounds more like lebensraum. :hitler:

The record will show that I've already chosen to forego attacking Spincut's defenseless cities in favor of confronting the barbarian menace that threatens us all. I'm not about to repay Spincut's goodwill gesture in leaving his border demilitarized by backstabbing him. There is precisely one belligerent power on the board and his flag is as yellow as his cowardly tactics--your nakedly genocidal designs for the Blues are monstrous enough, and then you further compound your crimes by trying to weasel others into doing your dirty work for you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Friends, neighbors, countrymen, lend me your ears.

You hear acussations thrown my way. Me, who has always pursued the philosophical and cientific above the mundane, who has always looked towards his people instead of his borders, and who has never raised a hand against a fellow human in anger.

And who is accusing me of barbarism, I ask?

None other than Blue, the one who has whipped his people into fanaticsm. None other than Blue, the one who has prepared for war since the very beggining of this. None other than Blue, who has already claimed one city and stands poised to take over neutral, Yellow and Red cities.

He acusses me of manipulation, when I merely speak plain and with concern for both my citicenry and the rest of the cities in this island. He accusses me of belligerency, when all my militias have been built with defense in mind and are under orders to not leave their cities. He acusses me of genocidal tendencies, but who but Blue has put his citicens in danger, using his own people as human shields so his war machine can march forever forward, oiled by the blood of friend and foe alike.

It's clear that Blue is the true menace. Hear me, people of this land. If we don't present an united front, Blue will pillage our cities, burn our temples and rape our women. Blue must be contained, if we are to prosper in peace.

Delenda est Caedicius.

EDIT: Plus he's in the lead in the VP race. :colbert:

EDIT EDIT: I'm having way too much fun with this.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 2, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Uhh, well...hmm.

*slides under the desk. Staffer comes running up*

We're very sorry, but it appears Mr. President is, ah, unavailable for comment! Yes, he's gone on...vacation. So sorry. He'll get back to you as soon as he's back!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.3.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Action 1: A dock is built!
Action 2: 2 Food and 1 Ore is harvested.
Action 3: An Army is built!

Turn 3.3.4 - Golden Battler is the current player.

Spincut, because it might be important, please select which water hex your port juts onto. Golden Battler, you have three actions.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Er...the NE one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, things to bear in mind:

- The NE one is landlocked, so your ships won't be going anywhere. But it's also less threatening to others that way.
- The NW and SW ones connect to the edge of the board so your ships could start circumnavigating the map, but it's worth remembering others might be able to do the same later.
- You can harvest Gold from either, but not more than one per gather.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! Huh. I guess NW then.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Righto. I only really mention it because it's easy to forget Navigation exists - the tech that lets your ships sail right off the board and around it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm really dissapointed in you, Spincut. You have DOOOOOMED US ALL!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bumpin this. Golden Battler, where are you?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've given Golden Battler a PM; he's not posted anywhere in the last few days. I'd rather not replace anyone halfway through the game, but if it comes to that then I'll roll a replacement from people who didn't get in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

I've given Golden Battler a PM; he's not posted anywhere in the last few days. I'd rather not replace anyone halfway through the game, but if it comes to that then I'll roll a replacement from people who didn't get in.

You are kidnapping the turn so you don't have to do Mage Knight, admit it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Woah, sorry about that.

1. Advance roads with 2 Ideas, getting 1 Mood token out of it.
2. Move my 4 armies 2 spaces with 1 food to attack the left barbarian camp.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

You are kidnapping the turn so you don't have to do Mage Knight, admit it.

More like I still need to work out how I can justify also playing despite being the Game Moderator.

also I'm scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Golden Battler posted:

Woah, sorry about that.

2. Move my 4 armies 2 spaces with 1 food to attack the left barbarian camp.

No worries.

A quick note on this one - the book never mentions if Roads is applicable when moving through a city, but I choose to think it is just on the basis of sanity and good sense.

• Locked thread