Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
100 Years ago today Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, thus putting into motion a series of escalating events that would shape every aspect of modern human existence.So why doesn't anyone seem to care? Hell even Google seems to have forgotten about it. You'd think if anyone remembered it'd be the company that likes to remind everyone that February 19th is the birthday of some obscure 15th century Bangladeshi turd sculptor. However, it is now 11 am eastern standard time, and as of yet I've not seen, or heard anything mentioning the significance of this date. Is it just me, or has everyone forgotten? Maybe its because I'm in the USA? Euro-goons is this date being treated any differently over there? Am I just in some strange bubble where there has been a lot of remembrances today, but I'm missing them? Why the hell isn't anyone acknowledging this date?:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Probably because they wasted all of their caring on the anniverseray of Ferdinand's assassination a while back. Most people I know view that as the start of the war.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nobody gives a poo poo about the third world countries over in europe, bitch.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I've been watching The Great War, a BBC documentary from 1964. The ethos of total war living is alive and well today. Read Company K written by the man who eventually wrote The Bad Seed, William March. Kind of obsessed with WWI at the moment.

milkingmycow fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 28, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I highly recommend Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon episodes on his podcast Hardcore History. It's a great primer on World War I, particularly the people and politics involved (less so the individual battles).

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
lets celebrate white cis men getting angry about taxes and peach laws yeah ok GREAT

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I forget did we win that one? Or I remember something about an arch duke, and the battle of somme or something and germans had machine guns, and nothing important happened. All the world wars taught us is if you get a german excited they will try to murder your country.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
OP, thanks I will be watching "Paths of Glory" Starring Kirk Douglas and directed by Stanley Kubrick. It is part of The Criterion Collection.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

iron maiden wrote some cools songs about this war so i guess thats good

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I also recommend Hew Strachan's book "To Arms" a huge tome of a book that is the first in a planned 3 volume series on WWI and is entirely about how the war began and the first engagements of the war. Also recommend the documentary series he did with channel 4, which is available for free on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3Sb8xiQ_c <--- episode 1

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

100 years ago A.D. war was beginning

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

100 years ago A.D. war was beginning

Post owns, username owns, av owns

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

dontcareaboutname posted:

I forget did we win that one? Or I remember something about an arch duke, and the battle of somme or something and germans had machine guns, and nothing important happened. All the world wars taught us is if you get a german excited they will try to murder your country.

Tanks, bombers, flamethrowers were invented during the war. Chemical warfare - what they wanted.

milkingmycow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 28, 2014

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

milkingmycow posted:

Tanks, bombers, flamethrowers were invented during the war. Chemical warfare - what they wanted.

How hosed would we be today if Germany and France simultaneously developed nuclear weapons during WW1 and used them against eachother?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fixed Expression
Nov 9, 2009

HarlanHell posted:

100 Years ago today Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, thus putting into motion a series of escalating events that would shape every aspect of modern human existence.So why doesn't anyone seem to care?

Well, I mean...it finished. If it was still going on then that would be news, yeah. People would be like "gently caress man, hundred years I been in this trench"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

texaholic posted:

How hosed would we be today if Germany and France simultaneously developed nuclear weapons during WW1 and used them against eachother?

hosed in perpetuity.

jesus if u handed 1914 France and Germany a couple of Big Red Buttons and told them they would reduce the other side to ash and irradiated cinders, theyd both mash on those motherfuckers like candy was going to come out

Fixed Expression
Nov 9, 2009
A line of men, all over a hundred years old, sitting in a field that used to be a trench system but is now just flat earth again because they've completely filled the trenches with their own feces. Half a mile away, a second line of elderly men in German uniforms sit facing them. Both lines sigh heavily in unison.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Book Barn cares! Guns of August is one of the nominees for next month's Book Barn Book of the Month!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653702

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
guns of august is good but it is super a product of its times and lays on very heavily with the "perfidious Teuton" rhetoric, as if all sides in the matter were not completely insane.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Really just a continuation of the Napoleonic Wars.

Over-rated.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Fixed Expression posted:

Well, I mean...it finished. If it was still going on then that would be news, yeah. People would be like "gently caress man, hundred years I been in this trench"

It is still going on. All the poo poo from the middle east, Gaza, and Ukraine, is just the current end of a thread that stretches all the way back to a few inbred European cousins having a dick measuring contest.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i liked hte movie war horse even though im not a brony

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

HarlanHell posted:

It is still going on. All the poo poo from the middle east, Gaza, and Ukraine, is just the current end of a thread that stretches all the way back to a few inbred European cousins having a dick measuring contest.

"yes a border here would look just smashing. oh i know those sorts over there dont get along, but they will just have to learn to cope wont they"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

world war I is called by the chinese "the european civil war" so

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Palpek posted:

hey buddy, gently caress the chinese

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Palpek posted:

World War 1 is kinda China's fault when you think about it. The Boxer Rebellion was just one big tease. It allowed everyone to get together dress up, and see how awesome they all looked in their uniforms. The blue balls left over from crushing the Boxers so easily drove them all mad. So they chose up sides, and had a proper war.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

HarlanHell posted:

World War 1 is kinda China's fault when you think about it. The Boxer Rebellion was just one big tease. It allowed everyone to get together dress up, and see how awesome they all looked in their uniforms. The blue balls left over from crushing the Boxers so easily drove them all mad. So they chose up sides, and had a proper war.

“Should you encounter the enemy, he will be defeated! No quarter will be given! Prisoners will not be taken! Whoever falls into your hands is forfeited. Just as a thousand years ago the Huns under their King Attila made a name for themselves, one that even today makes them seem mighty in history and legend, may the name German be affirmed by you in such a way in China that no Chinese will ever again dare to look cross-eyed at a German.”

oh, cousin willy, you scamp

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I still don't understand how a Serb killing Franz Ferdinand kicked off a world war, but then I was never a fan of his music.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

whats a good ww1 strategy game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

victoria II

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
This is clearly because it only affected men and the current fashion is to not treat men as human

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

drawing two parallel lines on a map of france and staring at them real hard

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

alternatively if oyu rape someone from liege you're haflway there

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

drawing two parallel lines on a map of france and staring at them real hard

or, alternately, put on an ushanka, look at a map of eastern europe, and cry

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

get a job as a railway timetable manager

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
write some really big numbers on a piece of paper, and then subtract some even bigger numbers from those initial really big numbers. that is your monthly deficit of everything.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fandyien posted:

victoria II

hmm yeah this looks good

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

or, alternately, put on an ushanka, look at a map of eastern europe, and cry

advanced sukhomlinov mode: pound a handle of vodka, shout something about the moral superiority of the bayonet, and then throw a dart at a map of austria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
italian front: draw parallel squiggly lines on a map of northern italy

pacific front: get out a japanese dictionary and a map of the pacific ocean and start crossing off names for islands and coastal chinese cities and writing in the kanji

• Locked thread