Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

texaholic posted:

OP, thanks I will be watching "Paths of Glory" Starring Kirk Douglas and directed by Stanley Kubrick. It is part of The Criterion Collection.

Came here to post this, but since someone else is watching it I guess I'll go see the new Woody Allen movie or that one with Phillip Seymour Hoffman that just came out, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Probably because the war didn't 'start' in some countries until the 4th of August.

Beneath Hill 60 is a good recent-ish WW1 movie, it is on Netflix and also full movie on youtube vOv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOpCJCl5L4

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

hey man nice shot

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Movies are good and all, but I think what we need to bring The Great War back into the the public consciousness is a good WW1 video game.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

drunkill posted:

Beneath Hill 60 is a good recent-ish WW1 movie, it is on Netflix and also full movie on youtube vOv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOpCJCl5L4

Linked to that video I came across this short which was an interesting watch
http://youtu.be/nOcEX3dYn3s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HarlanHell posted:

Movies are good and all, but I think what we need to bring The Great War back into the the public consciousness is a good WW1 video game.

survival horror is the only appropriate genre though, and Ice Pick Lodge and those guys who make the Amnesia games have already used up our entire quota of good survival horror games per decade

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Radbot posted:

I highly recommend Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon episodes on his podcast Hardcore History. It's a great primer on World War I, particularly the people and politics involved (less so the individual battles).

This guy knows what he is talking about. I also can't recommend this enough. His podcast is terrific in general but I've really been enjoying his series or World War I. He has done an incredible job of covering the factors that lead to the war and really trying to give modern audiences a feel for the atmosphere surrounding the events at the time. He also reflects on the scale of the human cost of the war. I'm paraphrasing him really badly but he says something to the effect that Napoleon boasted, in a war only a hundred years ago itself from World War I, that he spent 30,000 lives a month and the battles of World War 1 numbered their causalities in the hundreds of thousands.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

survival horror is the only appropriate genre though, and Ice Pick Lodge and those guys who make the Amnesia games have already used up our entire quota of good survival horror games per decade

I could see a MMO first person shooter working. The game would just be players constantly charging over the top, and trying to take the other teams trench. There is no end game, there is always a trench beyond the on you just took, and you are rewarded with better weapons, maybe an upgrade in rank, and a medal if your character somehow survives taking a trench. When you get killed you just get randomly assigned to a side, and head right back over the top.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
in the future there is only war, OP

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
WW1 sucked and was depressing and boring that's why no one cares.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
2 world wars and 1 world cup b1tch

naem
May 29, 2011

People forget about WWI which is f'd up because it set the stage for WWII which lead to everything going on today. Nothing was resolved and it left the world a mess.

There's a good movie about a post WWI germany with teen hitlerŪ as a nerdy art student that shows the atmosphere leading up to WWII

http://www.google.com/search?q=max+movie&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Palpek posted:

world war I is called by the chinese "the european civil war" so

A War of European Interests, lets not forget the fighting in Iraq http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopotamian_campaign

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
mustard gas sounds delicious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Daedra posted:

mustard gas sounds delicious

ketchup gas

it only kills the french

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The Wipers Times is the only good WWI movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH9Kvv56AHw
everything else is just War Horse

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HarlanHell posted:

I could see a MMO first person shooter working. The game would just be players constantly charging over the top, and trying to take the other teams trench. There is no end game, there is always a trench beyond the on you just took, and you are rewarded with better weapons, maybe an upgrade in rank, and a medal if your character somehow survives taking a trench. When you get killed you just get randomly assigned to a side, and head right back over the top.

There is. It's called Verdun and it's on Steam early access. It's quite good already, and very true to life.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
mood music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcIu3pIzWI

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
this dude knew what was up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

https://vimeo.com/29598334

sorry about the annoying annotations but I couldn't find this clip on youtube for some reason

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
I could see a paradoxically restrictive rogue-like where artillery shells, stray bullets, disease, rats, etc. are generated in a semi-random way. You try to survive going over the top, getting bombarded in the trenches, fighting off enemy attacks, getting food, sleep, medical treatment, sometimes even acting in different capacities whatever, with hopes of surviving the scale of the warfare and returning home. But like 9/10 you would just die super shittily for no reason because some dude at an artillery piece a few kilometers away angled his tube in the right way to kill/permanently disable you.

I think it'd be pretty great.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Also it doesn't come up much but like pre-1914 humans would see poo poo and think in a totally alien perspective compared to us.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I liked the hats you could keep your apples in

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Eumenides posted:

I could see a paradoxically restrictive rogue-like where artillery shells, stray bullets, disease, rats, etc. are generated in a semi-random way. You try to survive going over the top, getting bombarded in the trenches, fighting off enemy attacks, getting food, sleep, medical treatment, sometimes even acting in different capacities whatever, with hopes of surviving the scale of the warfare and returning home. But like 9/10 you would just die super shittily for no reason because some dude at an artillery piece a few kilometers away angled his tube in the right way to kill/permanently disable you.

I think it'd be pretty great.

Sounds like a pretty fun game idea.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Eumenides posted:

Also it doesn't come up much but like pre-1914 humans would see poo poo and think in a totally alien perspective compared to us.

Everyone should go listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on World War I. He talks about the importance of having to to try and remember the state of the world before the war and how people of that time would have reacted.

Their perspective on war seems completely alien to us because warfare had not changed on a really large scale before this point. This is kind of a point in time where modernized technology, in terms of warfare, completely comes onto the scene. No more trial-run. Our technological ability to cause death had way outstripped our notions of how to deal with it or react to it, much less being able to even comprehend it. Combine Napeolonic and earlier ideas for fighting a war with modern technology and a ruling class unwilling or unable to see the old way changing and adapt and you get the absolute carnage that is World War I. It's a perfect storm of technology, killing power, and ignorance.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Eumenides posted:

How so? Do you mean their concept of war, or just the world in general? We aren't that far removed from their generation that they should be tottally alien to us. I mean yeah, they grew up with a totally different set of morals, and social norms, but so did my grandpa, and he wasn't alien to the point I didn't understand his actions, and motivations as a young man. Why would my great grandpa be so different?

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

HarlanHell posted:

How so? Do you mean their concept of war, or just the world in general? We aren't that far removed from their generation that they should be tottally alien to us. I mean yeah, they grew up with a totally different set of morals, and social norms, but so did my grandpa, and he wasn't alien to the point I didn't understand his actions, and motivations as a young man. Why would my great grandpa be so different?

Because anyone who grew up in the late 19th century grew up in a world that was transitioning from being largely unchanged for hundreds of years to the beginnings of a radical change in technology. There is simply no way to comprehend those changes and their consequences and impacts without experience.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
WW1 was man made global warming

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

HarlanHell posted:

A Facebook game would be way better. And that way you can talk about your Trench Foot with people you went to High School with!

Seriously we need to gamify some forgotten history here, codegoons get on it

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
ww1 owned because everyone was just like gently caress yeah lets start a fuckin war. aint gonna find that kind of enthusiasm anymore

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
wasnt that like in vietnam or paraguay or something? anyways its just proof that once everybody dies from Some Thing then like it goes away kind of like anything you do or know or care about will very shortly be non existent to the point where you might as well never have existed :confused:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I remember reading in the paper like a year ago these people sued some group about a huge white cross in their lawn. The cross was a memorial for WWI soldiers or some poo poo and the group suing said it was some breach of constitutional rights or some garbage. I remember thinking they should have their skin and lungs horribly burned by chlorine gas.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

wasnt that like in vietnam or paraguay or something? anyways its just proof that once everybody dies from Some Thing then like it goes away kind of like anything you do or know or care about will very shortly be non existent to the point where you might as well never have existed :confused:

Have you read The Plague by Camus?

I mean I haven't I post here but I hear it is good

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

im pooping! posted:

I remember reading in the paper like a year ago these people sued some group about a huge white cross in their lawn. The cross was a memorial for WWI soldiers or some poo poo and the group suing said it was some breach of constitutional rights or some garbage. I remember thinking they should have their skin and lungs horribly burned by chlorine gas.

Maybe the memorial shouldn't be a fuckoff huge cross but instead something badass like the USMC War Memorial?

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Radbot posted:

Maybe the memorial shouldn't be a fuckoff huge cross but instead something badass like the USMC War Memorial?

A white cross makes sense though since that is pretty much the iconic image most people have for a WW1 soldiers grave.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Radbot posted:

or you know, maybe its just fine

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

vaucede posted:

ww1 owned because everyone was just like gently caress yeah lets start a fuckin war. aint gonna find that kind of enthusiasm anymore
u seem to have forgotten the bush administration

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nevermind that poo poo here comes Mingo!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
WW1 ended the Ottoman Empire, which lasted roughly 1490 - 1920.

The Ottoman Empire ended the Eastern Roman (or Byzantine) Empire, which lasted roughly 525 - 1490.

Which of course was preceded by Rome, proper - from the birth of time to roughly 525.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oh poo poo there's a 100 year old version of Donkey Kong?>!

• Locked thread